Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

All those traits sound very fun. Hero Worship and Kid Stuff especially.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Man, Bethesda at least seems like one of the last studios still trying to make games. They could achieve so much by just putting some little effort into their games.
They know exactly who their audience is and what they want

Honestly I am not angry for what they did to TES anymore, I am just saddened and disapointed...
But I understand, why they did it. Morrowind was the product of a desperate situation. They were going down, so might as well go down doing something that first and foremost appealed to their creative "needs", rather than their finacial ones
Can't blame then for going commercial, as not wanting to stare down those prospects again
Best we can hope for is Todd deciding to take major risks with his final game project, when once again he'll have nothing to lose...

Jess is better looking than any of the women we've seen in the game.
A comely lass, that's for sure

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Here's a list of Traits shown so far :

traits.png

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Let's rehabilitate Todd.
Isn't he one of the most long-lasting designers in his field anyway ? Many have already quit this industry, but the Todd is still here. He's still pushing the genre forward. He just can't help himself, he has to bring new mechanics, innovative ways to handle the specificity of this medium and ahahahah nvm I just can't.

Tihskael

Learned
The Todd with his 6'3" intimidating frame and bulging biceps. Gosh what a specimen. Not to mention the fucking hair.

Caim

Arcane
Let's rehabilitate Todd.
Isn't he one of the most long-lasting designers in his field anyway ? Many have already quit this industry, but the Todd is still here. He's still pushing the genre forward. He just can't help himself, he has to bring new mechanics, innovative ways to handle the specificity of this medium and ahahahah nvm I just can't.
Todd was in his late 20s when he directed Daggerfall, and that was 24 years ago. He's still young enough to be full of optimism and hope and Skyrim rereleases.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So I'm curious: how will the new dialogue system work? From what I'm getting, you have 3 chances to persuade someone by gaining between 1-4 points (per turn) with choices being color coded (green - 1, yellow - 2 and 3, red - 4) and color possibly being affected by a speech skill (kinda like how it was in FO4 with the green, yellow, red options showing difficulty of the check based on how much charisma you had) until you equal or pass the target number of points required to convince the NPC. Did I miss something? Anyway, it seems interesting. Funny thing though: when he spoke of the persuasion system, about how not wanting players to enter a special mode during dialogue when they initiate the persuasion system, well, that was exactly what happened in the in-game footage: you select the persuasion option and the it opens up a menu that shows all the choices from 1 to 4 for you to make.

Codex Year of the Donut
Funny thing though: when he spoke of the persuasion system, about how not wanting players to enter a special mode during dialogue when they initiate the persuasion system, well, that was exactly what happened in the in-game footage: you select the persuasion option and the it opens up a menu that shows all the choices from 1 to 4 for you to make.
It's still part of the dialogue system though.
Contrast to Oblivion's awful persuasion minigame. Laudable for attempting to shake up one of the worst features of RPGs, but it was terrible.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Let's rehabilitate Todd.

Honestly his game design philosphy is pretty solid :

Todd Howard - 2009 D.I.C.E. Summit said:
  • Great games are played not made - "You can have the biggest design document ever made, and you will change 90% of it once you play the game. You have to be ready to throw out your ideas that you think are the greatest."
  • Keep it simple - "Doing something really well takes time, more time than you think. Simple systems acting together create complexity players can appreciate."
  • Define the experience - "Don't define your game by a list of bullet points... define it by the experience you want people to have."
Four levels of player experience:
  1. Learn. The first thing a player is doing is learning the game.
  2. Play. They just want to have fun.
  3. Challenge. People want to win, so a game should have challenge but always give the player a way out.
  4. Surprise. Show players something new. And then repeat this four-point cycle.
He said developers should ignore demographics and installed base, and follow their passions, saying that "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables".

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Let's rehabilitate Todd.

• Great games are played not made - "You can have the biggest design document ever made, and you will change 90% of it once you play the game. You have to be ready to throw out your ideas that you think are the greatest."
  • Keep it simple - "Doing something really well takes time, more time than you think. Simple systems acting together create complexity players can appreciate."
  • Define the experience - "Don't define your game by a list of bullet points... define it by the experience you want people to have."
  3. Challenge. People want to win, so a game should have challenge but always give the player a way out.
He said developers should ignore demographics and installed base, and follow their passions, saying that "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables".
Todd Howard has better taste in RPGs than the large majority of Codexers.

Todd-Howard-Napoleon.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The main quest will focus on the search for progenitors, an ancient alien civilization that created life on Earth. So you'll be searching for mankind's dad.

kain30

Cipher
The main quest will focus on the search for progenitors, an ancient alien civilization that created life on Earth. So you'll be searching for mankind's dad.
I´m sure you are right, bethesda is not original with their main quests plots.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Let's rehabilitate Todd.

Todd Howard has better taste in RPGs than the large majority of Codexers.

Todd-Howard-Napoleon.jpg
it's really too bad he never actually combines the games he really likes to play with games he actually develops. i mean, beyond the "riding around on horseback killing things" part.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda should just drop their main stories entirely and put you in the world without any main narrative. Non-scripted stories in their newer games are more interesting anyways.
I'd prefer if they focused on making MQs that aren't childish and embarrassing. FIND YOUR MOMMY really, really isn't great; but I do appreciate games that have a central motivation underlying everything, to give your character any reason to get out of bed. At a glance, "There are a bunch of mysterious alien artifacts out there we'd like to understand some day" isn't bad at all; it's substantial enough to drive me if I have no other agenda, but nebulous enough that I can pursue side content (or make up my own motivators) instead if I don't feel inspired to stay on track.

__scribbles__

Educated
I'd prefer if they focused on making MQs that aren't childish and embarrassing. FIND YOUR MOMMY really, really isn't great; but I do appreciate games that have a central motivation underlying everything, to give your character any reason to get out of bed. At a glance, "There are a bunch of mysterious alien artifacts out there we'd like to understand some day" isn't bad at all; it's substantial enough to drive me if I have no other agenda, but nebulous enough that I can pursue side content (or make up my own motivators) instead if I don't feel inspired to stay on track.
If we're going to keep MQs then that's absolutely the best option.
But for me, Bethesda games' biggest strengths are their worlds(shocker, I know). Removing the main questline would not only improve the role-playing aspect of their games as you can make your character's motivation more "your own", but also remove one of the biggest issues with their recent titles: the disconnect between the urgent storyline and explore-at-your-own-pace gameplay.
Removing the MQ from Fallout 4 and Skyrim would make the character lose the motivation that already exists, but it would also incentivize the player to make their own backstory and motivations and thus the player feels closer to their character. It would also remove that "Wait, I've just been picking flowers and making potions for the past few weeks, aren't I supposed to save the world from destruction or something?" moment I often personally have while playing Bethesda games.

IMO, Bethesda's games are a perfect fit for the do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want kind of style seen in, for example, Kenshi and DayZ. Those types of games thrive on the type of player-driven storytelling that's already strong in Bethesda games.

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
yes they are not orgyinal. its not like its part of decades long planned programming by deep state to prepare controlled alien disclousure to the cattle, i mean general human population, and present hostile ets as angel like saviours of humanity.

oh wait it actually is.

btw most if not all residents of swastika shaped nazi base on dark side of moon were recently liquified by aliens after they done enough repair to pre adamite tech there. nazi scum so weak and gullible.
I read your post 5 times in a row, and I still don't know what you're saying.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
it's really too bad he never actually combines the games he really likes to play with games he actually develops. i mean, beyond the "riding around on horseback killing things" part.
It would be great if TES VI has mounted combat. Including mounted enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom