Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
yes they are not orgyinal. its not like its part of decades long planned programming by deep state to prepare controlled alien disclousure to the cattle, i mean general human population, and present hostile ets as angel like saviours of humanity.

oh wait it actually is.

btw most if not all residents of swastika shaped nazi base on dark side of moon were recently liquified by aliens after they done enough repair to pre adamite tech there. nazi scum so weak and gullible.
:kingcomrade:
This poster is going places...

I hope the main character is a blank slate. Also fuck Todd for being juvenile and personally responsible for blocking tiddies in BS games.

yes they are not orgyinal. its not like its part of decades long planned programming by deep state to prepare controlled alien disclousure to the cattle, i mean general human population, and present hostile ets as angel like saviours of humanity.

oh wait it actually is.

btw most if not all residents of swastika shaped nazi base on dark side of moon were recently liquified by aliens after they done enough repair to pre adamite tech there. nazi scum so weak and gullible.
I read your post 5 times in a row, and I still don't know what you're saying.
i thought i was as blunt and direct as a brick to the head, but let me know what part is unclear.
That part where there are nazis on the dark side of the moon is unclear. How can you claim this when the moon is a hologram?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

oh wait it actually is.

I read your post 5 times in a row, and I still don't know what you're saying.
i thought i was as blunt and direct as a brick to the head, but let me know what part is unclear.
That part where there are nazis on the dark side of the moon is unclear. How can you claim this when the moon is a hologram?
Holonazis

ropetight

Scholar
Todd just said that the chess-club-membery StrangerThingy geeky persona, that he likes to wear in public like Buffalo Bill wears women skin jackets, really liked two games - Sundog: Frozen Legacy from Apple II and Traveller tabletop.

This name-dropping should ensure that his primary milkcows, GenX-ers, get all misty in the eyes and preorder his new game that will be just the same in the spirit of those legendary games that formed them into SF exploration game lovers.

You have to admire his effort: he will not name-drop Elite or something else too well known or mundane.

Really, I will not hold it against Todd if he produces another bland, unfinished open-world mirage hyped to the sky.
That is who he and Bethesda are - sellers of bland, unfinished open-world mirages.

But to think that it will work again after all the bullshit they pulled with F4 and F76 is somewhat insulting and disheartening.
Anyways...

racofer

Thread Incliner
But to think that it will work again after all the bullshit they pulled with F4 and F76 is somewhat insulting and disheartening.
It's actually a pretty accurate estimation. Bugthesdards will consume every last drop of Todd's diarrhea as if it were ambrosia. Then, proceed to apply chocolate sprinkles (aka mods) into it for the next decade, drink a few gallons of copium, and in the spirit of their God the Todd, attempt to sell their abomination as the best thing ever at every opportunity. It's a vicious cycle that's been perpetrated for over 20 years now, and judging by the already hopeful comments not only here but in other places that usually bash anything from bugthesda, it will continue for at least another decade.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Todd just said that the chess-club-membery StrangerThingy geeky persona, that he likes to wear in public like Buffalo Bill wears women skin jackets, really liked two games - Sundog: Frozen Legacy from Apple II and Traveller tabletop.
The protagonist of Sundog: Frozen Legacy by FTL was their inspiration for the character Zed Duke of Banville in FTL's next game, Dungeon Master:

CHneBIK.jpg

DkVFonP.jpg

wUVVU7A.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The main quest will focus on the search for progenitors, an ancient alien civilization that created life on Earth. So you'll be searching for mankind's dad.
I can already see Bethesda's trademark writing skills at work:
"Have you seen our progenitors? Average height, average looks. They haven't been seen for millions of years."

Then the NPC will mark it on your map.

Later: "Another progenitor needs your help!"

:hahano:

MQ should be:
Your young child was kidnapped by an unknown psycho, who is surely planning to do terrible, terrible things to him. Time is absolutely of the essense!

Now fuck off and do side quests for 40 hours.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Ironically, Bethesda is a lot better at creating an "optional urgency" than other open world game designers, by creating logical break opportunities or simply escalating only if the player does something.
E.g. Skyrim: don't go to the embassy. You have dragons, your complete FusRoDa, go dick around while you "wait for the embassy party date". It just works!

As opposed to CDPR.
Twitcher 3 felt already weird with Ciri's disappearance. But TW3 was never meant as a true open world, where you explore at your leisure. In fact, many players thought it sucks, after getting burned out from boring exploration before even reaching Novigrad.
Because you weren't supposed to explore on your own, just follow the mainquest and do some sides on the way, or a monster hunt if you need money.

And Cyberbug77 even escalted it by reminding you every moment you are dying. Don't get off the mainquest train! Now there was no reason to do any sidequest/gig after the heist at all. Plus the weird game decision of taking your car away, as an incentive to explore Watson on foot, but at the same time slapping TWO timed missions in your face the required you to LEAVE Watson asap. Sad.

I like shitting on Todd and his cronies like everyone else, but you can't deny they got at least the open world vs story balance right. :obviously:

Codex Year of the Donut
There's very, very few games that have any sort of tension and a non-linear world simultaneously. The rise in designer handholding is a large reason for this. Witcher 3 does it better than cyberjunk because you have no idea how to find Ciri and at best a few clues.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Best sense of urgency to the MQ was done no better than in Fallout 1 imo. It had the perfect balance of fucking about just enough to get around, but staying focused on the main quest.
A good RPG should bob and weave MQ and sidequests, so u get to experience alot of the game and have variety, but keep the sense of urgency and engangement to the MQ throughout

Harthwain

Magister
Twitcher 3 felt already weird with Ciri's disappearance.
It did? I didn't care about her at all. Story-wise there is no difference between "looking for Ciri" (while doing everything but that) and delaying "urgent" mission in any other game. Including Bethesda ones.

If anything, in Skyrim you were constantly reminded/alluded about certain matters. I liked it, because it helped maintaining that illusion of the alive world, but contrary to what you are trying to say it served as reinforcement of the urgency of the matter. Oblivion is even worse offender when it comes to urgency-versus-reality issue, because it starts with a big bang and never manages to deliver (on all levels) that built up "omph" you expect after the beginning.

But TW3 was never meant as a true open world, where you explore at your leisure. In fact, many players thought it sucks, after getting burned out from boring exploration before even reaching Novigrad. Because you weren't supposed to explore on your own, just follow the mainquest and do some sides on the way, or a monster hunt if you need money.
Bullshit. You can do whatever you want and go wherever you want (although there are some exceptions). Burning out because you explored too much side stuff is on you. I should know, because that's exactly what I did.

Mortmal

Arcane
The protagonist of Sundog: Frozen Legacy by FTL was their inspiration for the character Zed Duke of Banville in FTL's next game, Dungeon Master:

CHneBIK.jpg

DkVFonP.jpg

wUVVU7A.jpg
He certainly has good taste in gaming, but he's also a business man who knows what is really wanted today.

Best sense of urgency to the MQ was done no better than in Fallout 1 imo. It had the perfect balance of fucking about just enough to get around, but staying focused on the main quest.
A good RPG should bob and weave MQ and sidequests, so u get to experience alot of the game and have variety, but keep the sense of urgency and engangement to the MQ throughout

Dead Rising does it better by putting everything on a timer. In that game the timer is so integral to your actions that time itself becomes a currency, and until you reach a high level you aren't even really expected to be able to do everything in a single play through. I could easily see what that game did being applied to quest in a RPG. Or at least I could see that working in a RPG, I however have a hard time imagining most modern RPG developers designing quest that may be missed simply because of lack of time.

The Persona games do it really way too by overlaying a whole time management game on top of the JRPG.

Dead Rising does it better by putting everything on a timer. In that game the timer is so integral to your actions that time itself becomes a currency, and until you reach a high level you aren't even really expected to be able to do everything in a single play through. I could easily see what that game did being applied to quest in a RPG. Or at least I could see that working in a RPG, I however have a hard time imagining most modern RPG developers designing quest that may be missed simply because of lack of time.

The Persona games do it really way too by overlaying a whole time management game on top of the JRPG.
If you want to limit the number of side quests you can do in a normal play through, you either have to make more content than you expect any given player to see, which is kind of a waste of dev time, or you gotta make the game attractive to replay, which doesn't jive that well with AAA cinematic on rails stories. Or you make the side quests procgen garbage, but then you might as well just not have them for the most part...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom