Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stargate: Timekeepers is Commandos with Jaffa

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
prefer to have character advancement, detailed combat, equipment, exploration, etc..these games don't really have that
I always wondered about that. Groups like X-Com and the like would allegedly be staffed with some of the top men that the various participating countries have. After all, the fate of the Earth is at stake here. So you'd think you'd be receiving some collection of veteran operatives. But no, instead you get a bunch of rookies barely out of basic who can't shoot, can't run, can't do anything right. You may as well literally be hiring random people off the streets. Or the Codex. All this so you can have "character advancement".

One explanation I've seen on why X-Com's receiving idiots who can barely find the business end of a gun is that the participating countries are keeping the good soldiers for them and just sending those they can afford to loose. Of course the explanation doesn't work as well once X-Com starts being successful.

Zeriel

Arcane
Why would anyone even create a Stargate game in the year 2021? SGU ended 10 years ago, Atlantis and SG1 even earlier, the license is completely dead at this point. And while Stargate was cool for its time, I don't think it has aged well.
The usual reason for making such a thing is specifically to keep the license alive. Licenses are often on a use-it-or-lose-it basis. Someone has the license, and approaching the end of this use-it-or-lose-it period, they shit out some half-assed shovelware to say "See, we used it!" and thus keep it going so it doesn't lapse into the hands of somebody who might actually do something good with it.

prefer to have character advancement, detailed combat, equipment, exploration, etc..these games don't really have that
I always wondered about that. Groups like X-Com and the like would allegedly be staffed with some of the top men that the various participating countries have. After all, the fate of the Earth is at stake here. So you'd think you'd be receiving some collection of veteran operatives. But no, instead you get a bunch of rookies barely out of basic who can't shoot, can't run, can't do anything right. You may as well literally be hiring random people off the streets. Or the Codex. All this so you can have "character advancement".

Eh in original XCOM I don't think they were meant to be total losers, and it mostly makes sense within the context the game establishes of being horror. You're not some Seal Team members going to shoot other humans, you're sent after aliens and shitting your pants, and that is reflected in the panic system and whatnot. And often you're missing because you're shooting into darkness and can't see anything. Which makes sense.

J1M

Arcane
Why would anyone even create a Stargate game in the year 2021? SGU ended 10 years ago, Atlantis and SG1 even earlier, the license is completely dead at this point. And while Stargate was cool for its time, I don't think it has aged well.
The usual reason for making such a thing is specifically to keep the license alive. Licenses are often on a use-it-or-lose-it basis. Someone has the license, and approaching the end of this use-it-or-lose-it period, they shit out some half-assed shovelware to say "See, we used it!" and thus keep it going so it doesn't lapse into the hands of somebody who might actually do something good with it.

Amazon is buying MGM.

Brad Wright (co-creator of SG-1) developed a pilot of a new Stargate series for MGM recently that is locked in a vault until the merger goes through.

Amazon is trying to reheat the license so there's more interest when they replace The Expanse with a new Stargate show as their "grounded sci-fi" offering on Prime Video.

muh realism

Amazon is buying MGM.

Brad Wright (co-creator of SG-1) developed a pilot of a new Stargate series for MGM recently that is locked in a vault until the merger goes through.

Amazon is trying to reheat the license so there's more interest when they replace The Expanse with a new Stargate show as their "grounded sci-fi" offering on Prime Video.
someone should make an expanse game, or maybe a mod for the upcoming Falling Frontier or Terra Invecta games

gaussgunner

Arcane
If Star Wars and Trek are still going, why the hell not Stargate? It's better than them anyway. Seems to be enjoying a revival the last few years. Also, they have a massive canon to draw from, that's a nice thing to have when you're designing a video game, if it's coherent (and it is). Just not for this particular game if it's shovelware shit.

Sandor

Novice
A mod for Terra Invicta would be really cool. It already has solar system wide Strategy and tactics built in.

Amazon is buying MGM.

someone should make an expanse game, or maybe a mod for the upcoming Falling Frontier or Terra Invecta games

Sandor

Novice
Yes, and while they're at it a new Farscape series as well.

If Star Wars and Trek are still going, why the hell not Stargate? It's better than them anyway. Seems to be enjoying a revival the last few years. Also, they have a massive canon to draw from, that's a nice thing to have when you're designing a video game, if it's coherent (and it is). Just not for this particular game if it's shovelware shit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Soldiers wanted for top secret alien fighting placement!
Requirements: Must have 5 years experience of fighting aliens.
It is meritorious if the applicant has been to at least 3 planets before.

Not a lot of experts to be found in fighting xenos with tech adapted from scavenged xeno artifacts. Whatever you were in your previous life, you're a rookie as far as x-com is concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom