Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini 2

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, if you accept that the endgame content is pretty limited(no empire to carve, no war to help win, no band to lead, except for 2 incompetent mercenary that won't follow orders), the game is quite good for what it is :
The capital ship simulation is convincing (you try to angle your ship constantly, so that most of the attack comes from the stronger shield, and as many batteries as possible can fire on your target).
It flies very differently from X3 for instance, or even Edge of Chaos where you were still dogfighting in a corvette (or jousting).
The problem is that once you get yourself a carrier or dreadnought, there is not much left to do in the game (you can try to gather all blueprints to make your sub systems and weapons even more efficient but that's about it).
It was a good ride up to that point, though.
Concerning the scaling, it is really no problem at all, you should just ignore missions if you cannot afford the biggest ship your level allows you to fly (missions give more XP relative to money than just flying randomly to kill or capture ships), so that your cash can catch up with your level.
The small cargo hold make mining and trading very bad too, so the 2 ways to make money are :
-ship capture
-nano swarming derelict ships (I forgot how the equipment is called, it is the one that converts derelicts into better loot than just shooting at them). Of course, you have to turn ships into derelicts first.

I finished the game (got all the ships I wanted, went through the boring campaign missions with horrible voice acting, got all of the uber blueprint weapons I wanted, and most of the blueprint systems. I am still missing the blueprints for the android and a few enhancements) in about 50 hours. It is a reasonable time, and it was not too grindy (as long as you focus on capturing ships in the beginning).

Last edited:

Tabs

Novice
The game's 75% off on Steam currently. Think I might pick it up as I quite enjoyed Freelancer, X-series, etc. and (from some of the previous posts) this game has a similar flavor.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not sure I'd compare it to any of those games. They lean more on the sim side while this game has nothing sim about it. It's a straight up arcadey space shooter with MMO styled quests that count as the bulk of the games content.

is this game worth $6.99? Its on sale for that amount...

what are the controls like? I actually prefer simple controls, I can't get into games where I have to adjust things like the spin and yaw and angle of attack, and where basically every key on the keyboard does something important to the ship. I just end up staring at my keyboard the entire time. I prefer simple controls.

I actually don't find the super complicated controls very realistic even, since if we get that far technologically it seems likely that most of the flight controls would be automated and not controlled like a WW II prop fighter

ArchAngel

Arcane
is this game worth $6.99? Its on sale for that amount...

what are the controls like? I actually prefer simple controls, I can't get into games where I have to adjust things like the spin and yaw and angle of attack, and where basically every key on the keyboard does something important to the ship. I just end up staring at my keyboard the entire time. I prefer simple controls.

I actually don't find the super complicated controls very realistic even, since if we get that far technologically it seems likely that most of the flight controls would be automated and not controlled like a WW II prop fighter
Controls are pretty simple. You use autofire and just turn the ship around to present fire arcs dependant on what is ready to fire. You can select specific targets and your weapons will fire at those when they are in their range and at other targets when not. Also you can control energy output between shields, weapons and engines (mostly useless, I just would switch to full engine when going to from place to place and switch back to neutral setting when in combat.. but sometimes forget to do it and wonder why is killing these weak idiots taking much longer than usual :D).

In addition there are consumable resources that boost your shield regeneration or hull repair and some other stuff (except for like 4-5 things the rest is mostly useless or at least not needed). From mid game and onwards you can buy as many as you will ever need.

Then there are active captain skill and passive perk bonuses. Active skills are needed in 0% of situations. Even when I started losing I still lost even when using these skills and when I win I don't need them. Perks are minor bonuses, shit things like 3% boost to damage of certain type of weapon. But at least they are always active. 75% of perk choices are obvious worse choice, it is not even an illusion to make players think they are smart for "finding" good combinations.

Overall the game is worth 7$ although if you can get Rebel Galaxy for same price that one is a better game overall (and has 10x better music.. check out its soundtrack on youtube, it is awesome!)

Severian Silk

I was studying this map until I realized the map is bullshit and the game does level scaling instead.

RMwG6dD.jpg

Severian Silk

How do you acquire people to pilot ships in the garage? I know I can hire mercenaries, but they are pretty bugged and useless IMO.

Severian Silk

Do you have any tips on how to use mercs? I've tried a few times, but they fall behind and then get "stuck" sitting in space and doing nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom