Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen Starting Risen 1, anything I should do/install?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
R1 isn't really a game where you need to ask about mods and what is good before you start playing (assuming such games exist at all). Just pick a faction and roll with it. If you want to be a fighter then you know what to do, if you want to be a templar then get caught, if you want to be a mage go to the town and start helping the mage guy there. The only thing that you need to know is that most incomplete side quests get auto-cancelled when you go with the main inquisitor guy into the cave under monastery, I don't think the game warns about it in any way. It's also a point where the game turns quite meh, but it's a blast before that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Does killing the warrior monks at the ruins Jan points out to you force you to join the Bandits?

Murk

Arcane
BTW going full mage means you mostly get access to utility spells as the main combat spells are available to the Order as well.

Though free access to levitate + sprint is very nice.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Deleted member 7219

It's a great game that doesn't need any modification.

Dev wise, the ending could have been better, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

mkultra

Augur
Installed it again, finished it when i came out years ago.. Damn, the movement (and its animation) is so bad in this game, almost as shitty as Gothic 1, that jumping animation is... wow.. i actually think it's worse than Gothic1-2 there.. Gothic 3 was better (tried it recently).

To me it's really what has aged the worst with these games, i find it really hard to go back after playing ELEX.. I gave G2 a try and eh.. no. The movement feels so digital and just plain awful. Might give Risen 2 or 3 a chance though, cant remember if they improved the movement there (i've only played both briefly).

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Installed it again, finished it when i came out years ago.. Damn, the movement (and its animation) is so bad in this game, almost as shitty as Gothic 1, that jumping animation is... wow.. i actually think it's worse than Gothic1-2 there.. Gothic 3 was better (tried it recently).

To me it's really what has aged the worst with these games, i find it really hard to go back after playing ELEX.. I gave G2 a try and eh.. no. The movement feels so digital and just plain awful. Might give Risen 2 or 3 a chance though, cant remember if they improved the movement there (i've only played both briefly).
janky movement and timing your awkward swings and dodges is what makes or breaks any piranha game, personally i find elex with its movement on swing quite annoying

Eisen

Learned
I stopped playing Risen after jumping and got stuck in cave.

Didn't found the solution even after trying what the internet said

notpl

Arbiter
I always wondered why none of the gothic people bothered making new content for Risen. Just prohibitively hard to mod for some reason gothic 1/2 aren't?

Dodo1610

Arcane
I always wondered why none of the gothic people bothered making new content for Risen. Just prohibitively hard to mod for some reason gothic 1/2 aren't?
Gothic and its sequel received official, powerful and relatively easy-to-use modding tools and the community has constantly been adding new options for modding them for the last two decades.
Gothic 3 and all other PB games that use the Genome engine never received any mod support though there is at least one German total conversion mod for Risen made with fanmade tools. https://www.worldofrisen.de/download_89.htm

Technomancer

Liturgist
Is there any point to using staves in Risen?
In certain paths, you can only train staff to level 10 from melee weapons. So if you want to use swords with mages it is best to level them up to 10 before you join and lock yourself out from the bog trainer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I stopped playing Risen after jumping and got stuck in cave.

Didn't found the solution even after trying what the internet said

There is something scary about a German searching for a solution :smug:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Right, as the title says, I just decided to install and play Risen. Been in my backlog for a long-ass while. So if I could get any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Are there any mods/patches/etc I should get? I have the 1.3 unofficial patch and that's it. From what I've heard Risen 1 is much like Gothic (never played that one) and after the 2nd arc it starts to turn into shitty combat segments mostly. Maybe mods have fixed some of Risen's problems, maybe not. The main Risen site (World of Risen) is in German I notice.

And is there anything else I should be aware of?
Post screenshots bitch.

Absinthe

Arcane
Is there any point to using staves in Risen?
In certain paths, you can only train staff to level 10 from melee weapons. So if you want to use swords with mages it is best to level them up to 10 before you join and lock yourself out from the bog trainer.
Even then do Staves even have anything on just getting Axes or Swords to level 7?

Right, as the title says, I just decided to install and play Risen. Been in my backlog for a long-ass while. So if I could get any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Are there any mods/patches/etc I should get? I have the 1.3 unofficial patch and that's it. From what I've heard Risen 1 is much like Gothic (never played that one) and after the 2nd arc it starts to turn into shitty combat segments mostly. Maybe mods have fixed some of Risen's problems, maybe not. The main Risen site (World of Risen) is in German I notice.

And is there anything else I should be aware of?
Post screenshots bitch.
What for?

Absinthe

Arcane
Even then do Staves even have anything on just getting Axes or Swords to level 7?
Not really. They are pretty lame.
I was afraid of that. Bastard Swords seem a lot better than staves tbh, and with two +1 Swords rings even with a 7 Swords training cap you can equip 2H swords in one hand. Still, I notice Staff 7 gives "All attack blows do more damage." and Staff 9 gives "Your counter parries do more damage." which no other weapon has. Does anyone know how that works? Is it significant?

Reach, maybe?
I mean, just use whatever you like, once power attack is unlocked, they're all broken.
Axes unlock power attack at skill level 2, but they need 6 to be enable shields and 8 to stop being slow. You only need 4 Axes to equip the Hammer of the Titans which gives +6 to Axes though... but that is very late. Staves are slow as fuck (worse than axes), poor damage, no and no shield though. Meanwhile unarmed is hilarious because it's the fastest, can't be blocked, and with enough strength and berserking spells your Fist Mage hits hard (and since unarmed does not involve any weapon skill, you have points to spare on fast str).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom