Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yo Chris ! That looks awesome.. you're such a bro! :)

How's the overall status on the project right now?

- How much content is done right now?
- When will voicework and music development begin?
- How big will the Cayne Chapter of the game be?
- How much playtime are you aiming for on a single avg. playthrough?

Dexter

Arcane
Fixed:
anvilovfvb.png

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
- How much content is done right now? - Around 60% of the graphical content is completed, although I've spent the majority of the time since the Kickstarter campaign working on polishing existing content, fixing bugs, and doing a lot of interface and control fixes that were requested from the Alpha demo. I've actually JUST moved onto a new screen this morning. :D

- When will voicework and music development begin? - Mark and I have been discussing the music pretty much since the end of the Kickstater! I've already recieved some samples from him. Most of the discussions have been around tone, and many technical elements that the music needs.
Voicework will be a continuous process throughout the project...I like to set up areas, write, play, write, change, play write, change, change, change, write, play....and THEN add voice. :D

- How big will the Cayne Chapter of the game be? - We are still working on the story aspect of 'Cayne', but it will be roughly the same length as the Alpha demo...possibly a little longer. We will be using 'Cayne' to test a few new ideas that are just to difficult to implement into Stasis right now (larger environments, scrolling screens, etc), so I really need to sit down and see just how far we can push the visuals! Its going to be a very fun little story to do!

- How much playtime are you aiming for on a single avg. playthrough? - I estimated the Alpha at just under an hour, and the general playtime was I think about 45 minutes. So with all the chapters and cutscenes it will probably be around the 8 hour mark.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I love over-the-top 80s movie-style gore so much :thumbsup:
One of the perks of 2D I suppose. Wasteland 2 has no gore at all. Rather dull, really.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
You must see the 'dissolved by acid' death. He grabs his face and the acid proceeds to melt through his hands.
I have a full model of John with skeleton and internal organs...his intestines even have physics so I can make them fall out of his body if I cut him open.

Geez Im a little bit sick....

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Very cool, Chris! Thanks for the answers.

Last question for you: Will there be a new/updated alpha/beta demo version? Or is that the only thing we are gonna get until release? (This is excluding the early access for backers only)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I love over-the-top 80s movie-style gore so much :thumbsup:
One of the perks of 2D I suppose. Wasteland 2 has no gore at all. Rather dull, really.

There is gore, but not much.. YET! Fargo has stated several times that death animations and overall gore animations are far far from final :).. so let's way and see bro.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You must see the 'dissolved by acid' death. He grabs his face and the acid proceeds to melt through his hands.
I have a full model of John with skeleton and internal organs...his intestines even have physics so I can make them fall out of his body if I cut him open.

Geez Im a little bit sick....

That's the spirit!
Any BBQ options?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Very cool, Chris! Thanks for the answers.

Last question for you: Will there be a new/updated alpha/beta demo version? Or is that the only thing we are gonna get until release? (This is excluding the early access for backers only)

I don't think there will be another Alpha Demo. Its really quite expensive to host the files. There may be a demo released just before the final release for marketing purposes...I'd honestly have to research that option more before making any decisions!

garren

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there will be another Alpha Demo. Its really quite expensive to host the files. There may be a demo released just before the final release for marketing purposes...I'd honestly have to research that option more before making any decisions!
Can't you just make the demo a torrent? Can steam host the demo?
A small corner of The Vats
Da fuq :what:

somehow reminded me of this

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wait, has this game really only been in development since 2010?

I could SWEAR I played a demo for an indie game called Stasis that looked exactly like this... when I was in high school. 2003-2004 or so. It was considered beautiful then, and it was supposed to be a Fallout-like RPG.

What am I thinking of if not this?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, has this game really only been in development since 2010?

I could SWEAR I played a demo for an indie game called Stasis that looked exactly like this... when I was in high school. 2003-2004 or so. It was considered beautiful then, and it was supposed to be a Fallout-like RPG.
It was "Static" not "Stasis"

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
KICKSTARTER UPDATE 21 IS NOW LIVE:

Chris... can you stop being awesome for just *ONE* moment please? :P

I'm trying to get actual work done...

:brodex::greatjob:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pyke, you are quite organized. I really don't know why we are getting better results from smaller kickstarters than from the big ones. Isn't the case that age bring wisdom? Well, it is really strange how people with decades of experience on the gamming industry make ridiculous mistakes over and over while indies wipe the floor with them by just being organized and efficient.

PS: Bioshock Infinite is a shitty game, don't learn anything from it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In terms of pacing for a video game, I would look at Valve games. Especially HL1 and the Portal series. They do a really good job.

And of course, the Lucas Arts adventure games since you're making an adventure game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yea pacing, definitely look up HL1 and older adventure games. The walking dead? Telltale had some good stuff too.

Maybe even Resident evil series the first ones. R1 + R2.. very nice survival horror story kinda like STASIS. Good puzzles and good atmosphere.. Resident evil 4 !

Silent Hill also.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4032/beyond_pacing_games_arent_.php?print=1

Found this article also.. dunno if it's worth anything.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke, you are quite organized. I really don't know why we are getting better results from smaller kickstarters than from the big ones. Isn't the case that age bring wisdom? Well, it is really strange how people with decades of experience on the gamming industry make ridiculous mistakes over and over while indies wipe the floor with them by just being organized and efficient.

PS: Bioshock Infinite is a shitty game, don't learn anything from it.

I've been working in a VERY deadline oriented industry since I was 16, so organising myself just comes naturally. I think that perhaps the more established designers have been so used to working with these huge deadlines (in most cases years) they perhaps find it difficult to transition into a much smaller scale.
As for me, I have had the opposite problem! I'm used to deadlines being measured in days and hours, and to suddenly have this become weeks and months is quite a shock to my system! But Nic and I are trying to set up as many systems in place to help with scheduling - which is probably THE most important part of any game production. We are dealing with completely finite resources - time being the major one. It can and does run out very quickly!

As for Bioshock Infinite, I'm just really impressed with it from a pacing and 'flow' point of view. To be honest I haven't actually played it, so my knowledge of it comes from watching YouTube videos - but the way they handled transitions from 'set piece' to another is really impressive. Also how they interspersed the slow moments with the higher impact ones (although The Last of Us is MUCH more effective in that department).

I agree. You're better off learning story-telling from movies. Alien, Blade Runner. :D

My original story plans for Stasis were basically 3 act film scripts - but I very quickly realised that film pacing does NOT work with games! While film is better at driving a story forward, its because the director has complete control over what the viewer sees and does. I think that trying to emulate this form of pacing completely takes away what makes games so unique as a story telling medium! Unfortunately the need for a 'cinematic experience' just completely erodes what makes games...games. Broken Age tried for that and become too simplistic - and Beyond Two Souls (a much more extreme version of it) actually had to break its own rules (you couldn't kill some characters, but can easily kill others...sometimes you could travel through walls, other times you were stuck - with no reason other than 'its what the story needs) to keep up with that 'cinematic experience'.

That said, I've got a library of scenes that I've copied from my movie collection of certain moments that I just love and I try to emulate those as closely as possible. The scene where Dr Jackson first see's the Stargate is one, the discovery of the Space Jockey in Alien, the Pseudopod sequence in The Abyss...

In terms of pacing for a video game, I would look at Valve games. Especially HL1 and the Portal series. They do a really good job.

And of course, the Lucas Arts adventure games since you're making an adventure game.

Oh yeah-Half Life 1 has an INCREDIBLE story flow! I've got a breakdown of it in my notebooks and constantly refer to it!
The Dig is obviously a HUGE influence on Stasis, so its definitely right up there!

The Resident Evils are pretty much 'required reading' for anyone making any sort of Horror Game. The movies are even my guilty pleasure movies. I know that they have NOTHING to do with the games...but I still love them because they completely embrace just how bad they are. :D
Thanks for that link! Ill definitely give it a read tonight!

pyke sounds a bit australian. packing for perth?

South African here. :D Apparently to Americans we sound very similar...I don't hear it! I can pick out an Aussie accent very easily!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
To think how long I would need to render such an animation in VUE ;___; I really need to get into more professional/more suited software

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom