Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

New Screenshot:

And an interesting quote from Chris Bischoff on the Quarter To Three forums:

As a side note, if I was going to do another full blown IP, I would definately do something in a cyberpunk blade-runneresque world. The post apocalyptic stuff has already been fantastically done in so many games. I'd want to create a world of Cybernetic implants, rain covered streets, freakish genetic experiments, androids, huge dilapidated buildings, complete with an underworld of seedy bars, damsels in distress, and an Orwellian big brother government.

All in isometric. :)

:bounce:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
New Screenshot:

As a side note, if I was going to do another full blown IP, I would definately do something in a cyberpunk blade-runneresque world. The post apocalyptic stuff has already been fantastically done in so many games. I'd want to create a world of Cybernetic implants, rain covered streets, freakish genetic experiments, androids, huge dilapidated buildings, complete with an underworld of seedy bars, damsels in distress, and an Orwellian big brother government.

I'M CUMMING BUCKETS!

New Screenshot:

I'M CUMMING BUCKETS!

If only he could be "persuaded" to make that cyberpunk game a crpg... :drink:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well there is this little site called Kickstarter. Maybe that might help him make it. After he has some street cred with STASIS I'm sure he would have NO problem funding it.

Provided it IS something he would like to do.

kaizoku

Arcane
I love that guy.

In 10 years from know we'll have an incline codex smiley of him.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Screenshot:

I'M CUMMING BUCKETS!

Ditto.

No chance for a Codex interview?

fuzz

Liturgist

Koplin

Educated
Chris did hint towards something in the CRPG genre here:

I would have some sort of combat-I think it goes hand in hand with a ‘sandbox’ style game. But for combat, I would use some sort of ‘card based’ or ‘dice roll’ system based on GURPS.
I have a pretty good idea about how I would impliment it from a technical POV, the issue would be how to get around having the player become a murdering psychopath and killing off story-pivitol characters!
But thats a game design issue-and something I would be very interested in exploring!

GURPS is a Pen And Paper roleplaying system. Fallouts SPECIAL is heavily based on GURPS (infact, I think Black Isle were actually going to use GURPS before they created SPECIAL).
Turn based, with animated attacks, but it wouldnt be a ‘click on the enemy to shoot them’ thing. Rather, a battle screen would open with all of the stats, weapons, etc, and you would plan your attack, and execute it. Upon choosing the attributes of the attack, and hitting the ‘EXECUTE’ button, the attack would play out on the screen, being influenced by your players attributes, aswell as the random chance of a ‘dice throw’ (for certain percentages). The ‘accuracy’ of the dice would depend on your equipment, and character.
Its all very conceptual in my head-and would possibly be boring as hell-but right now, thats how I would do combat.
icon_smile.gif

And he did this little art test thing (probably whipped it up over lunch or something. :D ) for a Blade Runnner style game:

homage.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwuWeRdha3I&feature=player_embedded

Im so torn. On one hand, I want him to be hired by the Oblivion and WL2 guys-but on the other hand I want him to carry on doing what he is doing.

I would have some sort of combat-I think it goes hand in hand with a ‘sandbox’ style game. But for combat, I would use some sort of ‘card based’ or ‘dice roll’ system based on GURPS.
I have a pretty good idea about how I would impliment it from a technical POV, the issue would be how to get around having the player become a murdering psychopath and killing off story-pivitol characters!
But thats a game design issue-and something I would be very interested in exploring!

GURPS is a Pen And Paper roleplaying system. Fallouts SPECIAL is heavily based on GURPS (infact, I think Black Isle were actually going to use GURPS before they created SPECIAL).
Turn based, with animated attacks, but it wouldnt be a ‘click on the enemy to shoot them’ thing. Rather, a battle screen would open with all of the stats, weapons, etc, and you would plan your attack, and execute it. Upon choosing the attributes of the attack, and hitting the ‘EXECUTE’ button, the attack would play out on the screen, being influenced by your players attributes, aswell as the random chance of a ‘dice throw’ (for certain percentages). The ‘accuracy’ of the dice would depend on your equipment, and character.
Its all very conceptual in my head-and would possibly be boring as hell-but right now, thats how I would do combat.
icon_smile.gif

And he did this little art test thing (probably whipped it up over lunch or something. :D ) for a Blade Runnner style game:

homage.jpg

Im so torn. On one hand, I want him to be hired by the Oblivion and WL2 guys-but on the other hand I want him to carry on doing what he is doing.

Man, that looks awesome. I would definitely want him to be hired for W2 by inXile, guy's a genius. And in inXile he could probably make that blade runner game a real crpg with their support if they would be willing to work with him (hopefully so). Is that really true, that he could be hired by inXile?

And I want W2 to be great (that's why I'd like him to be hired by inXile). But Oblivion, what do you mean??? :?

Koplin

Educated
Not rumors-just musing out loud. He did mention being in contact with InXile on his blog-but AKAIK he is in another country (South Africa) and has mentioned that he owns his own company.

Honestly, I dont know if he would actually move to an existing game studio. I mean he is doing what he wants to do-he is making the games he wants to make. Nobody would greenlight a 'Isometric Horror Adventure Game'-even in the more indie studios. He obviously has developed the skills that he needs to be a one man studio...I mean if you could create your ultimate game, on your own, would you really want to go and work on someone elses project?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

icon_smile.gif

homage.jpg

Goddamn that looks good, has there been any talk with Stasis might be finished?

kaizoku

Arcane
While it would be neat, I think I rather for him to stay indie and do his own thing.
Maybe join up with some other 2 or 3 guys and KS :)
(but he is in SA so he can't unless some kwan joined him)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

It WAS originally using GURPS. Then when they explained the very violent and "mature" world of Fallout to GURPS they said no and BIS had to then suddenly come up with their own new system, which was eventually SPECIAL.

LizardKing

Scholar
Wow!
Talk about talent..
I hope his projects don't go vaporware, that would be a huge waste of great art.

Cynic

Arcane
I love sci fi shit but I am such a fantasy loving D&D geek that I dream of seeing this level of detail being brought to a brand new party based high fantasy cRPG. Can someone just give this guy a gazillion dollars and lock him in a room to art direct forever?

Koplin

Educated
@ Cynic, he will probably do some sort of fan-art for Project Eternity, like he did for Wasteland 2, so we can see what a fantasy RPG he did would look like. *holding thumbs*

@ circ, STASIS is a 'pure' adventure game. No RPG mechanics (but apparently there is some cool stuff like med kits and shit, so it may have some other genre's spliced in). I think if STASIS does well, he could probably be convinced to kickstart an RPG or something.

@ Cynic, he will probably do some sort of fan-art for Project Eternity, like he did for Wasteland 2, so we can see what a fantasy RPG he did would look like. *holding thumbs*

@ circ, STASIS is a 'pure' adventure game. No RPG mechanics (but apparently there is some cool stuff like med kits and shit, so it may have some other genre's spliced in). I think if STASIS does well, he could probably be convinced to kickstart an RPG or something.

I guess I will buy STASIS too (hopefully, don't know how my meager finances will look like...). I like crpg genre more than adventure, but it seems too good to miss out on (the setting, horror atmosphere, sci-fi, isometric). Plus I liked Sanitarium, it's one of my favorite adventure games, and this seems similar, at least technically...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom