Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay series thread. State of Decay 3 announced

Perkel

Arcane
Before someone will say: Not an RPG. It is actually sandbox RPG. chracters have stats, traits, perks, permadeath, basebuilding, loot, various equipment setups, choices and consequences. Despite very shallow outlook it is an rpg and pretty damn good game. SOD1 was pretty shallow but SOD2 is not.

Just announced:

State of Decay 2 is one of the best sandbox-rpgs in recent years and at the same time one of the best co-op rpgs around. It had terrible launch and only recently after years they patched everything and removed every issue.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm looking forward to this thread being moved to general gaming.

I hope not. It is basically Dead State in 3D and actually very good + you can play it with friends. It had huuuuge fucking issues at start but now it is fixed completely. Spent like 120 hours playing it mostly with friend.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
It is one of few games that actually makes use of "roleplaying" well.

I really do look forward to what they will do with SOD3. One thing for sure is that they will deliver sandbox campaign at start instead of DLC like SOD2 after fans made them bring back campain back.

Also i wouldn't expect game to look like that. For sure it was just CGI trailer.
SOD developers aren't best guys at graphics and they focus mostly on systems and gameplay

...and making bugs.

Perkel

Arcane
Are 1 and 2 worth playing then? I've never even thought of trying them.

1 honestly no now that 2 exist.
2 is in gamepass so you can play it for 1$ so it is super cheap and comes with all DLC and patches it is called Juggernaut edition.

If you do start SOD2 i propose for you to start with Heartland DLC from main menu. IT is SOD1 like campaign that will get you into SOD show you things give you nice starting base etc. BUT despite being campaign there is still permadeath so despite being more raiload story focused it still run on same rules.

Once you get going with Heartland you can either continue to play it (story is about 20 hours long) or just go straight into Sandbox (new game). You will start new community with 3 survivors which you will roll each having different stats and traits. For example one can have boost to your base resources, other can be very annoying to rest and fight with others etc.

Smerlus

Educated
I just beat SOD2 today. I bought it when it came out and couldn't be bothered by the jank. It does seem fixed now.

Had a pretty good time with it and I still enjoy watching my people die when I get way too cocky for a mission.

Perkel

Arcane
well look at this shit. Game probably won't come out till something like 2030

unknown.png

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
All along I thought State of Decay was a DayZ clone. Now this thread has piqued my interest in the game. Thanks Perkel!

cw8

Cipher
Well I agree mostly. Played State of Decay 1 back in 2014 and I was blown away by it particularly the survival aspect, gathering resources and perm deaths aspects of it. Probably my favourite zombie game. Even more fun in coop.
Just completed 2 maps in SOD2 these few weeks since they only just released on Steam. Standard difficulty is no kick. Dreadmode is a lot more fun but it eventually pigeonholes into stealth, stealth, stealth, and more stealth to survive anything. If they added in an anti-stealth zombie, the difficulty will be fucked good. Needless to say I can't wait for SOD3.

Perkel

Arcane
All along I thought State of Decay was a DayZ clone. Now this thread has piqued my interest in the game. Thanks Perkel!

Yeah i also thought this was zome dayz clone or some other mehcoop shooter. SOD1 also wasn't like SOD2.

Just completed 2 maps in SOD2 these few weeks since they only just released on Steam. Standard difficulty is no kick. Dreadmode is a lot more fun but it eventually pigeonholes into stealth, stealth, stealth, and more stealth to survive anything. If they added in an anti-stealth zombie, the difficulty will be fucked good. Needless to say I can't wait for SOD3.

Yes Dreadzone is a must. Normal is way to easy and you don't need to play at all game. In dreadzone resources and traits do matter. It was one of key critiques when it launched it was just to easy to survive. Heartland DLC which is campaign naturally is balanced around Dreadzone and it is great way to get into game as you get some main quest on top of sandbox.

Quillon

Arcane
Fun for couple hours, repetitive as fuck rest of the game but I'm sure its fun when you play it with friends, like everything. Plus SoD2 was a big disappointment, we could gather waay bigger community in Cry Engine SoD1 than handful of people in UE4 SoD2.

Also the games would have been better with 1 playable leader character than playing as anyone; its really shitty that you can become anyone but also you are no one; inner conflicts are jarring when you are taking sides not according to the issue at hand but the meta-direction you are building the community towards. But its a fundamental game feature, maybe a selling point for it...whatever. I'd rather play Rick Grimes and order people around; be competent/shit leader/get challenged/thrown out/join another community/build a new one etc than be anyone at any time in the same community.

Turuko

Learned
only thing we can gather from this CGI trailer is that the infection has spread to the fauna and it's flipping the predator/prey paradigm, or it's already like that?
i had a good time with sod1 but i still have to try sod2

Perkel

Arcane
They give it a try. SOD2 is huge incline over SOD1. Especially with all expansions. If you like sandbox then play normally if you want more focused campaign try expansion which provides SOD1 like campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom