Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

Well I've gone ahead and made a donation :salute:, but you might want to look into that currency thing since it might end up being an considerable amount of money in total if paypal charges part of the donations from those that are in other currencies for converting them.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Merkwürdigliebe said:
I've got a question about donations, it seems the donations through Paypal are through US currency however the Codex is based in Australia correct? So does this mean you have to have the money exchanged for AUD losing part of it in the process due to fees etc. When you take into account that many people like me and other people living in Europe would not be paying in USD initially this would result in double currency conversions for double the loss. Or do you perhaps fund the server in USD? Just wondering. :)

Codex is based in a hellish pocket plane all of its own. The physical manifestation of the server, however, is located in Texas. Somewhere near the Heart Attack Grill...

But yea, obviously, anything that doesn't come in in native USD is converted at a loss. Heck, PayPal takes 3-5% off every donation as well. There's no such thing as free lunch. We can't have separate accounts open in every country though.

potemkin said:
Then we'll go full Nazi and silence all dissent.
You decided to use PHP which is very slow and buggy, don't blame users for your own dumb decisions. I still believe Google App Engine can handle this website just fine within the limits of free quota. Optimized shit is still shit after all.
Their free quota's way too small to offload everything there. 500MB space and 5M pageviews per month? lulz...

However, we might be able to use it to offload some non-essential things there.

And to all those talking about bandwidth... bandwidth isn't one of our problems. We've got plenty. It's other server resources like CPU and RAM that there's never enough.

Micmu

Magister
Or make a N posts per day/limit for non-subscribers. Let the spammers pay for resources they waste.

potemkin

Novice
Their free quota's way too small to offload everything there. 500MB space and 5M pageviews per month? lulz...
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

It's 1GB for data, a few gigabytes in memcache, max 753 HTTP requests/second, 43 million requests/day. The database may be too small but everything else should be enough, I follow only the news forum so maybe this website is bigger than I think but someone mentioned the number of active users is in the hundreds so the load is really very small (not counting the PHP overhead obviously :).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Taluntain said:
The physical manifestation of the server, however, is located in Texas... It's other server resources like CPU and RAM that there's never enough.

Got any idea what the specs of the server are? Ever entertain any ideas of building your own server and hosting it yourself?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
potemkin said:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

It's 1GB for data, a few gigabytes in memcache, max 753 HTTP requests/second, 43 million requests/day. The database may be too small but everything else should be enough, I follow only the news forum so maybe this website is bigger than I think but someone mentioned the number of active users is in the hundreds so the load is really very small (not counting the PHP overhead obviously :).
http://code.google.com/appengine/whyappengine.html#cost

That says 500MB. But even if it was 1GB, it's still way too little.

Crispy said:
Taluntain said:
The physical manifestation of the server, however, is located in Texas... It's other server resources like CPU and RAM that there's never enough.

Got any idea what the specs of the server are? Ever entertain any ideas of building your own server and hosting it yourself?
The kind of connection that you need to host a website like Codex you can't run from the comfort of your own home. Well, you could in theory, but it'd be prohibitively expensive, so that's not really an option.

The server's a Quad Xeon 2.8 with 6GB or RAM.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Wow, that's pretty much my whole list of things I'd be worried about trusting Google with this - all of my fears and skepticism confirmed. Ouch - thanks for the info.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Well actually I was being hyperbolic. Is not shit. But for some web pages and applications with high performance requirements is not really recommended. I was mostly mad at that moron (potemkin) soiling the good name of Eisenstein with his retarded comments.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea... well, personally I try to rely on external services as little as possible unless it's absolutely essential. If we've got a local problem there's a good chance we can fix whatever comes up. If you put your app/whatever at the mercy of a behemoth like Google or Amazon though, if anything goes wrong or doesn't work like it should, there's a high likelihood that there's nothing you can do about it but move away - which usually isn't made easy.

potemkin

Novice
Taluntain, ignore that piece of shit plant moron that is pimping Google App Engine. It's shit.
That guy had problems with AppEngine 2 years ago, that's only one year after the initial *beta* launch. And he used Python instead of Java so I have doubts about his technical expertise.

I was mostly mad at that moron (potemkin) soiling the good name of Eisenstein with his retarded comments.
Nice reference to Eisenstein.

there's a high likelihood that there's nothing you can do about it but move away
I agree but it can happen with any type of web hosting.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It doesn't happen any more when you run your own dedicated box in a good DC. Of course, prior to that I've been through more than a dozen more or less shitty hosts myself so I know that it happens a lot in shared hosting environments.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Taluntain, just a question, you have a dedicated, real server? Or is just a virtualized slice, like the one offered he?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
potemkin said:
Then we'll go full Nazi and silence all dissent.
You decided to use PHP which is very slow and buggy
Compared to what, exactly? You have data and statistics to back this up I hope.

potemkin said:
, don't blame users for your own dumb decisions.
lulz. Is there where you recommend ASP? Oh, no, you're recommending a proprietary google product which requires re-writing everything in Python¹ or Java.

Let me just check the list of things that aren't going to happen. Oh, here it is:

#387: Re-writing an entire PHP code-base into another language because some random tard on the internet claims that the other language is faster / better.

¹I see we're now claiming Python is bad too. How quaint.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Kosmonaut said:
Taluntain, just a question, you have a dedicated, real server? Or is just a virtualized slice, like the one offered he?

Very real server of our own... we've been on dedicated servers for the last 10 years or so, actually. VPSes are fine for smaller sites, but with most of them you start hitting various quotas (CPU if nothing else) pretty fast with a busy website. Dedicated is the only step up from there.

potemkin

Novice
Is there where you recommend ASP?
Everyone knows that Java is the best option for the server side due to heavy JVM optimization but I don't want to start a flame war about languages or platforms and you are right about taking a look at data access optimizations first. You can run PHP inside the JVM with Quercus (http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/quercus/).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Ahh... So you're basically suggesting we go down something like the HipHop route. That may yet be what we do. At the moment, PHP is being run as CGI (which is why we get Internal Server Errors). Taluntain would need to tell you why.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Not long here on this page, but I like it. Lurked a bit longer though. Will donate. Even though the hits generated on the site look a bit unnatural and reek of spambots or something.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Do you have information about the geographic location the hits come from?

Because one thing I always thought would happen to the codex is an invasion of chinks and other retard nations. They may be only browsing the forums now, by the millions sucking up your precious bandwidth. In the next phase, when their english and their self confidence has grown, they may begin to spam them with their idiotic views later. And I already had the pleasure to work with Chinese, I know what I am talking about.

I mean if one was to block China and India, which rpgcodex can really do without, that would rule out 50% of the world population, and perhaps 50% of potential hits. Exceptions could be could be made like for Andhaira and St.Toxic and a few others :)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
root said:
nah I means it. If DU can convince me this is a sound financial venture, I'm willing to invest a hefty sum, as long as I get something out of it.

I am no expert, but I am willing to bet that a site catering exclusively to angry cynical fans of a dying genre will not make a worthy addition to anyone's portfolio. Unless DU has a cunning plan to go 2.0 and convert the Codex into Ragebook or something and make a killing.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Burning Bridges said:
Do you have information about the geographic location the hits come from?

Because one thing I always thought would happen to the codex is an invasion of chinks and other retard nations. They may be only browsing the forums now, by the millions sucking up your precious bandwidth. In the next phase, when their english and their self confidence has grown, they may begin to spam them with their idiotic views later. And I already had the pleasure to work with Chinese, I know what I am talking about.

I mean if one was to block China, Pakistan, the Ukraine, Lebanon and India, which rpgcodex can really do without, that would rule out 50% of the world population, and perhaps 50% of potential hits. Exceptions could be could be made like for Andhaira and St.Toxic and a few others :)

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Because one thing I always thought would happen to the codex is an invasion of chinks and other retard nations.
Strangely, I'm more concerned by an invasion from the Bioware board or the TESF. Considering the recent cacophony surrounding DA2, I think that's where most of the overburden comes from.

That being said, I'm sure that many active codexers abused the egosearch. And disabling it must have had some significant impact.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
Ahh... So you're basically suggesting we go down something like the HipHop route. That may yet be what we do. At the moment, PHP is being run as CGI (which is why we get Internal Server Errors). Taluntain would need to tell you why.
Most of those that I've seen are just due to timeouts.

And no, China doesn't account for much traffic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom