Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

Angthoron

Arcane
AdmiralHugbunny said:
It's time to clean up the codex!

mhdqog.png

That's not a bad idea :lol:

Elzair

Cipher
How about only displaying the latest five or so news items on the front page? It seems excessively long as is.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Allanon said:
Disable GD altogether. Shit hole full of racists and morons that has no place on a rpg forum so just redirect them to 4chan.

This

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
GD is one of the best things about the Codex. Most of the worthless spam is in RPGD where people have to have 10s of threads about the newest AAA crap.

Taluntain said:
Krraloth said:
DarkUnderlord said:
If you noticed, the ads we get are rather generic. Generic ads that nobody clicks on don't pay.

Now explain something to me, which in fact may be basic but I never understood. You get revenue by having people clicking on the ads banner even if in the end nobody buys said product or follow through with payments on said ads?

So to speak, if any lurker (not logged) would click on the banner, will it generate enough revenue to make the server pay by itself?

Honestly I thought that only by paying or donating one would be able to help fund the website, and I'm not sure how many people know this.

I've been lurking on the codex for at least a couple of years and i never seen mentioned supporting by means of clicking on the ads banners. Now i might not be so knowledgeable but I assume some other people don't know this?
There are various types of ads in rotation. Some pay only for showing (small minority). Some pay per click. Some pay per action (when you click and actually buy something).

And no, clicking like stupid would just get you blacklisted by the advertising provider and none of your clicks would count. In fact, some advertising providers tend to discard more than 1 click on the same (type of) ad from the same user in 24 hours. So anything beyond what'd be considered "normal" clicking on ads would be pointless.
So, most of that animated crap doesn't even pay for being displayed? That's pretty sad.

Is there any possibility of making a deal with eBay? I usually buy my retro-games there as Amazon tends to discriminate a lot when it comes to shipping locations.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
asper said:
Allanon said:
Disable GD altogether. Shit hole full of racists and morons that has no place on a rpg forum so just redirect them to 4chan.

This

It's a shame though, because despite the racists and morons, it's one the best GD forums on the internet.

potemkin

Novice
I can't believe no one considered migrating to Google App Engine, their free quota should be enough to host this website. They host Java and Python, but you can run PHP code on the Java Virtual Machine so the hard part would be to migrate the database.

Suchy

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
asper said:
Allanon said:

This

It's a shame though, because despite the racists and morons, it's one the best GD forums on the internet.
Imagine what would happen to RPG and General Gaming fora, if GD was removed.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Suchy said:
LittleJoe said:
asper said:
Allanon said:

This

GD has to stay. It is the dark underbelly of the Codex experience. It's where I go to see that there are far worse people than me in the world. It's where all my positive assumptions about the world and the people in it went to die. It is what makes the rest of the internet butthurt about this place. Without GD this is just another website with jrpg LPs.

Like many have said just have annul fundraisers and for god sakes make the Amazon and gog links more prominent. I buy lots of stuff from Amazon and never click through here.

Also with the annul fund raiser I can make annul jokes about whores and drugs. Good times.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
oldmanpaco said:
Suchy said:
LittleJoe said:
asper said:
Allanon said:

This

GD has to stay. It is the dark underbelly of the Codex experience. It's where I go to see that there are far worse people than me in the world. It's where all my positive assumptions about the world and the people in it went to die. It is what makes the rest of the internet butthurt about this place. Without GD this is just another website with jrpg LPs.
This :salute: .

Anyway, I made a 15$ donation. It isn't because this thread, though - it's mainly because I have learned about the "Patron" tag several days ago.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Zeus said:
Maybe you guys should run news stories on Amazon deals. I'm serious. Based on a RPG Watch forum post, I once bought Drakensang, King's Bounty and Mount & Blade (my third copy, first retail) for less than $30 new. I didn't use the Codex links because, well, it was mentioned in an RPG Watch post and I forgot.

But the point is, CheapAssGamer-style, "Hey, Gothic II Gold is going for $10 right now on Amazon" posts would not only introduce 2011 newbies to CRPG classics, it'd probably bring in some cash, as people would follow the link on the main page to said deal and impulse buy you guys a cut of the profits.
At a 50 cent commission per game, that'd have to be a whole lot of games sold to amount to anything much.

Something possibly worth considering would be Skimlinks or Skimwords... Skimwords for unregistered visitors only. That's the advertising that makes random words into advertisement links. Skimlinks only automatically converts various links posted on the forum to sites like Amazon, Newegg, etc. into referral links.

waywardOne said:
4. another way to donate. i can't be the only one that refuses to give business to PayPal.
PayPal has never been the only way to donate. There was always also the option to wire transfer money or send it via snail mail. Just PM what you'd like to do.

Also, you don't need a PayPal account to donate via PayPal. You just type in your details and cc number and hit the button.

ghostdog said:
Just how much extra would it cost to move to better servers and keep them running ? I'm sure you'd be able to raise donations for server costs. Last time you asked for $500 and you raised more than $1000 in half a day. Asking for donations to remove ads wont get you much, but when asking for donations to keep the site running, codexers will respond.

That works for one-off upgrades. I don't think it'd work on a monthly basis, and server costs are monthly. And unless you optimize things as much as possible (we're working on this), you can keep throwing money at the problem but it's always only a short-term solution until more is needed. I'm pretty confident that once we move to a new forum platform, things will improve considerably.

Shannow said:
Put the referrals to amazon and GOG in view near to "post topic", "post reply" top and bottom.

Do I need to click the amazon referral every time I buy something? I've copied it into favourites and switch between clicking that and the one on the codex.

Yes, you need to click it on the site. It doesn't work (at least I think not) if you bookmark it.

Elwro said:
Does the GOG referral thing pay anything? I always use it when buying there but maybe people don't know about it in general?

It has its ups and downs... it's better than Amazon, but due to various restrictions their affiliate program has for what counts as a referral, it brings in far less than normal affiliate programs. Also, with games so cheap, the commissions are tiny as well.

Steam doesn't have an affiliate program (last I checked).

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Is there any possibility of making a deal with eBay? I usually buy my retro-games there as Amazon tends to discriminate a lot when it comes to shipping locations.
Possibly, but then again, for 5 people buying $5 games every once in a while (25 cent commissions), that's practically pointless.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Taluntain said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Possibly, but then again, for 5 people buying $5 games every once in a while (25 cent commissions), that's practically pointless.
When it comes to retrogaming, eBay is mainly for buying games with boxes, manuals, etc. - old RPGs usually cost 30+$.
More :monocle: titles sometimes cost even 100$.

torpid

Liturgist
oldmanpaco said:

oldmanpaco
Forum Posts %
General Discussion 1,639 56%

So GD is not only integral to the Codex experience, but is also what makes it unique? FFS -- what makes the Codex unique is its uncompromising stance on RPGs and its relentlessly pessimistic outlook on the genre. If anything, GD undermines the Codex's elitist, monocled culture as it's a hive of dumbfuckery.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really think getting rid of GD would be a bad idea. It's not like all the GD posters would just leave, they'd just start posting in other forums. And then we'd have to deal with racism, nazis, etc in GRPGD.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Xor said:
I really think getting rid of GD would be a bad idea. It's not like all the GD posters would just leave, they'd just start posting in other forums. And then we'd have to deal with racism, nazis, etc in GRPGD.

Exactly. GD is a needed buffer, else the other forums will become infected.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
GD is like a flood-plain. You don't appreciate it until it's gone.

torpid

Liturgist
Xor said:

If GD-only posters start spamming random shit in game-related forums, you ban them. Thus shutting down GD kills two birds with one stone: it eliminates a lot of useless threads and gets rid of the dumbfucks who have zero interest in games. And it allows the rest of the forum to proceed unhindered by mod babysitting.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
torpid said:
oldmanpaco said:

oldmanpaco
Forum Posts %

So GD is not only integral to the Codex experience, but is also what makes it unique? FFS -- what makes the Codex unique is its uncompromising stance on RPGs and its relentlessly pessimistic outlook on the genre. If anything, GD undermines the Codex's elitist, monocled culture as it's a hive of dumbfuckery.
Get back into the locker, nerd.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
torpid said:
oldmanpaco said:

oldmanpaco
Forum Posts %

Oldmanpaco is known for making some of most aesthetically pleasing posts in GD. Attacking him reveals you as a person who lacks taste.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys... you know who's really responsible for slowdowns to get some donations... and you should know what to do...

111578800-3.jpg

J1M

Arcane
waywardOne said:
here we go. this is 3:30am here.

wtfguests.jpg

bots? that can't all be butthurt biofags.
My browser is set up to only log me in if I post something. I imagine others are as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom