Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Status of actually promising (and once-promising) RPGs

Which game are you the most hyped for?

• Realms Beyond

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Sigil

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Space Wreck

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Colony Ship

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams)

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • KotC II / KotC II campaigns

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • KotOR remake/reboot/whatever

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Kenshi 2

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Cleve's games

Votes: 17 17.5%

• Total voters

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Could you imagine making this list a decade ago and not having Baldur's Gate 3 on the list?

If there was any clearer indication of a franchise going mainstream.
The Baldur's Gate franchise has always been mainstream.

Sorry, I used "going mainstream" when I should've used "gone to shit."

Darth Canoli

Arcane
luj1

It's missing Call of Saregnar at the very least.

I'd also add:
- Archaelund, since Exiled Kingdom (previous dev's game) has a very good quest design (for the handcrafted ones given by NPC)
- Zodiac Legion, probably more of a Fantasy UFO but it's looking good so far.
- Archquest, is looking quite good too, it'll be a nice surprise for Christmas 2044 (just kidding, it's probably going to launch in 2034 with Saregnar :buildawall:)

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Where are you getting that Trudograd is an expansion or 1/3 of a game? It was originally going to be that but was expanded upon extensively.
Yeah it's a 100% separate game now but it doesn't look promising tbh.

Does that mean you start with a new character at level 1 or are they still assuming most people will import their character from the 1st game?

I'd prefer starting over.

jackofshadows

Magister
Where are you getting that Trudograd is an expansion or 1/3 of a game? It was originally going to be that but was expanded upon extensively.
Yeah it's a 100% separate game now but it doesn't look promising tbh.

Does that mean you start with a new character at level 1 or are they still assuming most people will import their character from the 1st game?

I'd prefer starting over.
Import or starting over with 15 level character. They've also changed a lot in the traits/perks so it can be re-allocated in case of import.

I'll start over on the release too since import bonuses are kinda ridiculous power wise.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Space Wreck and Colony Ship look interesting in screenshots I've seen posted here. I haven't played Knights of the Chalice 1, and the rest I haven't heard of, or there's nothing much on yet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cleve's games - look like mobile games, high chance he will never make anything good again. Hopefully at least 1 of them will turn out good (but will probably have to wait 10 years)
I'm waiting for Cleve to become bored with development of his mobile games and return to work on Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination.

VggZYI8.png

animejeb

Barely Literate
Let us make this very clear: Great RPGs have never and will never exist.
Quite frankly, I'm tired of everyone acting like there will be the next greatest thing. REMEMBER, nothing is new under the sun. Dudes 500 years ago were probably playing an identical game to what you are calling "promising," or "hopeful."

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There is nothing interesting about Broken Roads, it's one of the most banal and boring titles in a while. The morality stuff was the only thing to catch my attention, but on closer inspection it looks ultra basic compared to similar systems. Most people here are genre veterans and don't have to eat shit to know how it tastes like.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Let us make this very clear: Great RPGs have never and will never exist.
Bullshit. Sure, there are no perfect games, but great RPGs can be found. What one considers "great" and "RPG" depends on the individual in question, but making such sweeping statements as "never" is going too far to be correct.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of everyone acting like there will be the next greatest thing. REMEMBER, nothing is new under the sun. Dudes 500 years ago were probably playing an identical game to what you are calling "promising," or "hopeful."
Again - bullshit. There may be nothing new under the sun, but I am certain that 500 years ago people didn't have computers or RPGs. While not every game can be promising or hopeful, there are some games that stand out more than others when compared to the common garbage that's made without direction or vision needed to make it interesting. Yes, people would love to see more such games, but such is the climate we're currently living in. However, trying to peddle the idea that everything is IDENTICAL is idiotic. Or just a poor attempt at trolling, which sounds more likely.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Black Geyser might be a PoE clone, but do I have to remind you that it has brewing AND drying systems?

Also, get ready for the greed system to actually turn out to be interesting and impactful. :incline:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Realms Beyond - dead until further notice, may not ever see the light of day
Sigil (obscure Russian grimdark RPG) - working on a mobile game called Sheol set in the same universe to raise funds for the game
Space Wreck - looks great
Colony Ship - looking good
MechaJammer - looks good but who knows if final shape
KotC II - needs to be on GoG + have more campaigns
That KotOR remake? - Aspyr guys are doing it, but there's 0 info
Kenshi 2 - allegedly in development
Cleve's games - look like mobile games, high chance he will never make anything good again. Hopefully at least 1 of them will turn out good (but will probably have to wait 10 years)

OP status update,

Realms Beyond - RIP
Sigil - RIP

Space Wreck - still looking great, seems like a cleverly designed little game. Sadly may turn out short on content
Colony Ship - still looking good
MechaJammer - turned out shit, buggy and unfinished
KoTC II - great game and getting great modules such as Haerkenworld
SWKotOR remake - in trouble. Publishers weren't happy with progress and now it's in development hell
Kenshi 2 - looks great but will take forever and won't be as moddable as the original due to UE4
Cleve's games - even if they are alive, he won't produce another masterpiece (if he even produces an RPG)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Let me add Urban Strife is looking better and better

This is my silent favorite, sort of JA2 spiritual successor

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is Archaeland not on the list?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom