Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Stealth in Dark Messiah

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Dark Messiah. My original playthrough forever ago was pretty standard kicking guys into walls shit. This time I thought I would go stealth, as I so much enjoy in Arkane's other games and their inspirations.

This game is not made for stealth though, is it? It has the menu options, you can blow all your upgrades on it, but then they throw you into a huge well-lit area and have all the enemies converge on you if you get noticed. Should I keep going? I just got to the island and got gangraped by orcs.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Stealth doesn't mean you can avoid combat entirely. It means that you can do stealth takedowns on enemies and use finesse rather than a big health bar to win when you get into direct confrontations.

Divinity: Original Sin
Bosses will be more difficult in a stealth playthrough, Since you have to kill them, and they do not work like normal enemies AI. You should spend some points in offensive skills (maybe bow/arrows).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Stealth is more about going around and picking enemies off one by one, not real stealth.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stealth doesn't mean you can avoid combat entirely. It means that you can do stealth takedowns on enemies and use finesse rather than a big health bar to win when you get into direct confrontations.

- Nicolas Cantin, Thief Project Lead

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This game is not made for stealth though, is it? It has the menu options, you can blow all your upgrades on it, but then they throw you into a huge well-lit area and have all the enemies converge on you if you get noticed. Should I keep going? I just got to the island and got gangraped by orcs.

And how did you thought a real world stealth works?

Of course you would be forced to beat the crap out of your opponents that you'd be forced to fight without being able to sneak at them from behind.

It's massive advantage in certain areas, but if you overspecialize, you'd be killed for lack of combat ability.

Roderick

Savant
I played this game stealthily and had a lot of fun, but stealth here, as said before is not Thief but mostly picking enemies one by one , but it's done well.

also i never used a spell

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Dark Messiah. My original playthrough forever ago was pretty standard kicking guys into walls shit. This time I thought I would go stealth, as I so much enjoy in Arkane's other games and their inspirations.

Stealthily use telekinesis on statues and throw them into the Orcs' ugly faces.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I tried playing it stealthily, and it works to a certain degree. But too often I succumbed to the overpowered Charm spell, which made even packs of Ghouls too easy, when they started attacking each other.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering who's the main character, everything should be overpowered.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played this game stealthily and had a lot of fun, but stealth here, as said before is not Thief but mostly picking enemies one by one , but it's done well.

I'm fine with this, I actually play most not-Thief stealth games as a super predator. I'm just finding it very hard to actually operate like this, the levels and enemies don't seem designed for it. Also they seem to throw you into forced combat situations, like outside the boat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom