Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Steam curators

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come up with 152 character descriptions for each of the Freedom Force games and I might add them.

Franny Frogpill

Educated
On soul saving ...

To the uninitiated the current page description ...
RPG Codex (Official) recommends: "RPGs. Preferably of the hardcore, old school, non-popamole variety."
translates to ...
... of the masochistic/l33t variety for floppy disk users
("non-popamole" is an Urban Dictionary look-up for them)

Gets rid of the Awesome-Button/Convo-Sim "RPG" crowd. Fine!
But more souls could be saved using words like ...
- "turn-based" (they came across D:OS)
- "gritty" (they liked the Witcher's atmosphere/dislike flashy explosions/read Abercrombie)
- "tactical" (they're not twitchy action nerds/have some patience)

This is probably too long as a page description but I found it very helpful in my ongoing struggle to understand what the Codex is about.
Analysis of the five "intellectual currents" of today's RPG Codex:

1) Black Isle-ism. Probably the most important current, and the founding philosophy of this site. "Black Isle-style" means any game that belongs to the lineage of Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum. RPGs with lots of scripted choice and consequence, novel storylines and interesting, non-generic settings. This current manifests as a sometimes unseemly fanboyism for Black Isle successor companies - Troika (especially), Obsidian (to a lesser extent) and, if things go well, inXile.

2) Nostalgic oldfag-ism. This is a general yearning for older forms of RPGs. In particular, not just Black Isle-style RPGs but also older ones. Blobbers, dungeon crawlers, Gold Box, Wizardry & Ultima, etc. Posters like mondblut and Sceptic represent this current well.

3) Anti-popamole-ism. This is a harsh dislike for various modern trends in RPGs, including consolization, romances, quest arrows, and the like, and also for the companies that most exemplify those trends - post-NWN Bioware and post-Morrowind Bethesda.

4) Eurodev underdog-ism. A relatively high tolerance for games made by underdog RPG developers, especially European ones, and an appreciation for their unique "quirky" natures. That means Larian, Piranha Bytes, CD Projekt, etc. This current isn't as strong as it used to be, since many of these companies have proven to be fairly popamole themselves, with the notable exception of Larian.

5) Tactical combatfag-ism. Obviously, this current represents the people on the Codex who really like tactical combat. The JA2 fans who want JA2 combat in every RPG, and the people who obsess over the details of combat systems. This current was deemed important enough to get its own RPG Codex spinoff site, Tacticular Cancer, with mixed results.
Something along those lines should be prominently displayed somewhere, methinks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could probably add

6) Looking Glass-style "immersive sim" first person games

to that list. Although not all of those are RPGs, it's a definite current on the site. And explains the presence of Deus Ex on the curator.

But, I don't think the description can be that long.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think most people outside the 'dex would have any idea what popamole means one way or the other.

Also, difficulty is "in" right now in certain crowds. See the success of Dark Souls.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Dodger has overtaken Angry Joe. Unfortunately, at this rate, it look like she's set to pull us back out of the Top 30 eventually.

Who?
This slut I presume.
qU0yAxg.gif

I don't think most people outside the 'dex would have any idea what popamole means one way or the other.

They can probably deduce it means something bad. :M

Also, difficulty is "in" right now in certain crowds. See the success of Dark Souls.

Only if the game makes it a selling point, like retro platformers (even the ads for DS were all "u gonna die over and over"). But the Codex doesn't necessarily like difficulty, just games that aren't dumbed down.

Telengard

Arcane
On soul saving ...

To the uninitiated the current page description ...

RPG Codex (Official) recommends: "RPGs. Preferably of the hardcore, old school, non-popamole variety."

translates to ...

... of the masochistic/l33t variety for floppy disk users

("non-popamole" is an Urban Dictionary look-up for them)
Gets rid of the Awesome-Button/Convo-Sim "RPG" crowd. Fine!
But more souls could be saved using words like ...

- "turn-based" (they came across D:OS)
- "gritty" (they liked the Witcher's atmosphere/dislike flashy explosions/read Abercrombie)
- "tactical" (they're not twitchy action nerds/have some patience)

This is probably too long as a page description but I found it very helpful in my ongoing struggle to understand what the Codex is about.

Analysis of the five "intellectual currents" of today's RPG Codex:

1) Black Isle-ism. Probably the most important current, and the founding philosophy of this site. "Black Isle-style" means any game that belongs to the lineage of Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum. RPGs with lots of scripted choice and consequence, novel storylines and interesting, non-generic settings. This current manifests as a sometimes unseemly fanboyism for Black Isle successor companies - Troika (especially), Obsidian (to a lesser extent) and, if things go well, inXile.

SNIP

Something along those lines should be prominently displayed somewhere, methinks.

I gave it a bit of a try, attempting to get a taste from all three sources.

The RPG Codex is a website dedicated to PC role-playing games and other games of high quality. We prefer our games turn-based, gritty, and tactical. And we prefer games with lots of scripted choices and consequences, novel storylines and interesting, non-generic settings. This is the den of those who like Underrail, Morrowind, Divinity: Original Sin, and the Gold Box and Black Isles games. Quest-compass users, your quest-compass is pointing you elsewhere. Everyone else, Welcome.

The RPG Codex features news, reviews, interviews and discussion centered around RPGs, as well as video games in general, and also a myriad of other topics. Our site values uncensored discussion with minimal moderation, a critical approach towards the games industry (and, well, everything else) and a belief that the RPG genre, and gaming in general, has seen a decline in quality since the early 2000s.

If you have a taste for fine video games and want to shout your opinion to the world like a drunken idiot, or if you want to discuss things intelligently with your peers like an old-school, monocled gentleman, the RPG Codex is the place for you.

But remember - odds are, that game you really like, someone's going to tell you it sucks. Why? Because this is the RPG Codex.

If you decide to use it, you can alter it any way you want.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
eh, the only thing that counts is that we're ahead of the watch and those bestofrpgs idiots.

A user named cat

Jim Sterling on page 1? How the fuck does he have any followers and supporters? I watched one of his videos once and wanted to shoot him in his blubber neck with a nail gun. Literally and actually obese despicable dork with turkey tits and annoying voice.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Maybe we should make another list for non-RPG Kodex Kritikal Konsensus games where we can throw all that stuff. Maybe move some barely qualified as RPGs games like FTL there too for example.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Over the last month RPGWatch went from barely any followers to right behind the Codex. That's some fast growth (~250 per day).

I guess the 'recommend everything that might be remotely similar to an RPG' method really helps with exposure, given that it means they're on a ton of games' storefront pages. If you thought the Codex list had some questionable stuff on it, you should check that one out.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, good for them, I guess. We can't go that mainstream, so if they pass us, I guess they deserve it.

BTW, despite it not being available for purchase yet, we can add Serpent in the Staglands. Anybody wanna volunteer a description?

Last edited:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
BTW, despite it not being available for purchase yet, we can add Serpent in the Staglands. Anybody wanna volunteer a description?
Uh we can? Has anyone actually played the game proper yet? I thought only a backer alpha/beta/whateverprelimrelease was out, and basing a rec on that seems a bit dubious (Early Access stuff is questionable enough as it is).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
let's not go full IGN plz

*shrug* The game is already playable off of Steam. And it's not very IGN to point people at a store page where they can't give the developers money.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's very IGN to go 10/10 SO TOTALLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!! over unreleased games. Have some dignity, ffs.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh we can? Has anyone actually played the game proper yet? I thought only a backer alpha/beta/whateverprelimrelease was out, and basing a rec on that seems a bit dubious (Early Access stuff is questionable enough as it is).
Meaning half of the Dex has played hates it already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom