Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Steam curators

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your view of what goes on the staff forums is probably out of date by now.

And geez, nobody is stopping anybody from liking anything. I just want to curate a list of Codexian RPGs, that's all. If you want, we can have a dicussion about what I think that means.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No. You want to curate a list of RPGs you like and you want the world to think it's the Official list of what everyone likes, hence the "RPGCodex (Official)" name. If you changed it to "Infinitrons list of games he likes", there'd be no issue here. Just stop acting like you speak for everyone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No. You want to curate a list of RPGs you like and you want the world to think it's the Official list of what everyone likes, hence the "RPGCodex (Official)" name. If you changed it to "Infinitrons list of games he likes", there'd be no issue here. Just stop acting like you speak for everyone.

Well, if you want to insist that I'm acting in bad faith, there's not much I can say, is there?

For the record, if this really was "Infinitron's List Of Important RPGs", I would have left Dragon Age up. (I wouldn't have made a list of games that I "like" because I consider that a trite observation)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the group is actually official since it's run by current admins and staffers, who all can make and delete recommendations, as opposed to (as you make it out to be) being run by infinitron only who gets to make all the choices and decisions.
second, the codex does have a certain reputation, which includes being pro-tb, pro-oldschool, anti innovation, shitting on anything recent made by bethesda and bioware alike, while simultaneously sucking up to obsidian (for doing the same things), so the question is less about infinitron and what you think of him, and more whether we want to build up on that reputation or just say fuck it and include everything anyone ever voted in any of your top-x lists.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the only choice infinitron has made so far is to remove DA:O and that's cuz jaesun and some others were crying about it.

we've pretty much depleted steam of "old-school hardcore"-variety RPGs already.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would not mind if RPG Codex curator(s) recommended non-RPGs, as long as the overall focus remains on the genre. There are many non-RPGs out there worth praising (like Primordia).

I see no problem with RPG Codex recommending games like Dark Souls or even Dishonored, because they are generally well-liked by people here who actually play them, and only bashed (but mostly just ignored) by posters, who do not enjoy action-based gameplay, but if I were in the place of curators I would not go with stuff like DA:O, because it is about 50/50 whether people like it or not.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
roa1+3, wiz6, geneforge2-5, avernum4-6, nethergate, legends of eisenwald, dead state, technically qfg likes like heroine's quest and quest for infamy as well.
I see no problem with RPG Codex recommending games like Dark Souls or even Dishonored, because they are generally well-liked by people here who actually play them
it's kinda pointless to curate well-known and universally well-received games outside of our rpg niche, though, since people who will read it are rather certain to know those already.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would not mind if RPG Codex curator(s) recommended non-RPGs, as long as the overall focus remains on the genre. There are many non-RPGs out there worth praising (like Primordia).

I see no problem with RPG Codex recommending games like Dark Souls or even Dishonored, because they are generally well-liked by people here who actually play them, and only bashed (but mostly just ignored) by posters, who do not enjoy action-based gameplay, but if I were in the place of curators I would not go with stuff like DA:O, because it is about 50/50 whether people like it or not.
I would only support non-RPGs if we could have two lists. RPGCODEX RPGS and RPGCODEX OTHER THINGS THAT ARE FUN.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
it's kinda pointless to curate well-known and universally well-received games outside of our rpg niche, though, since people who will read it are rather certain to know those already.
Uh, no it is not.

Aside from not recommending good games 'because too popular' being stupid itself, people will respond well to recommendations, if they see familiar titles among them. If The Codex likes Dark Souls, which is generally considered a good game (and well-liked here), someone who likes Dark Souls might check our list and decide to check some of the other games there.

If people see only unknown (to them) titles on the list, they will never bother clicking on it because it will only confirm for them that 'RPGCodex is that niche site that hates everything released after 2000'.

I guess it all depends for whom this list is made - for Codexers (who already know what they like) or for people outside our community (who do not care what Codex likes). For now, it is probably the former, but as this feature gets more ground, it should slowly switch to the latter - people will browse curators, seeking for lists that correspond with their tastes, and try unknown games from those lists.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
the only choice infinitron has made so far is to remove DA:O and that's cuz jaesun and some others were crying about it.

Funny how a flip flopper who promoted DA:O as 2009 rpg of the year is so vocal about Turd-based orthodoxy.

Drakron

Arcane
If The Codex likes Dark Souls

Then the Codex is a FUCKING HIPSTER that jumped on the bandwagon.

And no, Dark Souls and PS:T are entirely different games ... saying some one who clearly is a FUCKING HIPSTER because he plays Dark Souls would like PS:T since ... what they have on common anyway now?

Use of the English language?

I dont play Dark Souls, curate me that fucking game and I will curate your face with a baseball bat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
MicoSelva I don't think the current list is representative of a "niche site that hates everything released after 2000", because that's not what the RPG Codex is.

Here's my analysis of the five "intellectual currents" of today's RPG Codex:

1) Black Isle-ism. Probably the most important current, and the founding philosophy of this site. "Black Isle-style" means any game that belongs to the lineage of Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum. RPGs with lots of scripted choice and consequence, novel storylines and interesting, non-generic settings. This current manifests as a sometimes unseemly fanboyism for Black Isle successor companies - Troika (especially), Obsidian (to a lesser extent) and, if things go well, inXile.

2) Nostalgic oldfag-ism. This is a general yearning for older forms of RPGs. In particular, not just Black Isle-style RPGs but also older ones. Blobbers, dungeon crawlers, Gold Box, Wizardry & Ultima, etc. Posters like mondblut and Sceptic represent this current well.

3) Anti-popamole-ism. This is a harsh dislike for various modern trends in RPGs, including consolization, romances, quest arrows, and the like, and also for the companies that most exemplify those trends - post-NWN Bioware and post-Morrowind Bethesda.

4) Eurodev underdog-ism. A relatively high tolerance for games made by underdog RPG developers, especially European ones, and an appreciation for their unique "quirky" natures. That means Larian, Piranha Bytes, CD Projekt, etc. This current isn't as strong as it used to be, since many of these companies have proven to be fairly popamole themselves, with the notable exception of Larian.

5) Tactical combatfag-ism. Obviously, this current represents the people on the Codex who really like tactical combat. The JA2 fans who want JA2 combat in every RPG, and the people who obsess over the details of combat systems. This current was deemed important enough to get its own RPG Codex spinoff site, Tacticular Cancer, with mixed results.

I've found that most games that people consider "Codexian" fit well with one or more of the above. It seems you're thinking only of #2.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I dont play Dark Souls, curate me that fucking game and I will curate your face with a baseball bat.
orly?
11738.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Infinitron - thanks for the effort, but you do not need to tell me all this. I meant the image of RPGCodex in the heads of people from outside of here (and who actually heard about The Codex). Remember the facebook link you posted in the GrimoireGate thread? One of the comments under the article was (quote from memory) 'lol RPGCodex is stil around?'. If we are seen at all, we are seen as THE grognard site, even by people who do not even know what a fucking grognard is. Not appreciating good modern games, even though the concensus here is that they are good, will not help.

A whole other matter is: should we care? I do not have an answer to that. But I do think that making a list of recommendations from codexers to codexers is kind of pointless, because this is what The Codex forums are for, and we do not need a specialty steam page to fap to Fallout. The curator is a good way for outsiders to see what we like and why we like it. When felipepepe made our top 70 and it was posted in various places over the internet, there were many comments in the style of 'good list, I love most of these, but I never played this XXX game, will look into it'. The curator is a chance to something similar, maybe on a larger scale.

Then the Codex is a FUCKING HIPSTER that jumped on the bandwagon.

And no, Dark Souls and PS:T are entirely different games ... saying some one who clearly is a FUCKING HIPSTER because he plays Dark Souls would like PS:T since ... what they have on common anyway now?

Use of the English language?

So much aggression. Peace, bro. Peace.
I do not play Dark Souls either. It was just an example of a mainstream-popular game that is well-liked here (one of the very few such games).

Although I know for a fact these game have a few other things in common, besides using English: heavy mood, gloomy aesthetics, good art direction, unique seeting. You know, the stuff we like here on The Codex.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
A whole other matter is: should we care? I do not have an answer to that.

The answer is no.

The Codex is community that shares some interests, we should not care of what others think or want to include others by changing what we think ... unless you want the Codex to became like those social media sites were PC is more important so they remain "relevant".

Dark Souls is a example of mainstream moronically, not the game is "bad" but it was latched on due to popularity to the point its being used as a adjective ("like Dark Souls") when it just nothing but a rogue-like ARGP, as if it invented either gender, those people would complain about Baldur's Gate or hell Icewind Dale likely because its "too slow", we should not care about people that are vapid or ADD morons with their first ARPG, just because they played Dark Souls doesnt mean they share the same interests as Codex users or that we should jump on bandwagons to be "relevant" ... because that would be just sucking on popularity cock for the same of being popular.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron - thanks for the effort, but you do not need to tell me all this. I meant the image of RPGCodex in the heads of people from outside of here (and who actually heard about The Codex). Remember the facebook link you posted in the GrimoireGate thread? One of the comments under the article was (quote from memory) 'lol RPGCodex is stil around?'. If we are seen at all, we are seen as THE grognard site, even by people who do not even know what a fucking grognard is. Not appreciating good modern games, even though the concensus here is that they are good, will not help.

A whole other matter is: should we care? I do not have an answer to that. But I do think that making a list of recommendations from codexers to codexers is kind of pointless, because this is what The Codex forums are for, and we do not need a specialty steam page to fap to Fallout. The curator is a good way for outsiders to see what we like and why we like it. When felipepepe made our top 70 and it was posted in various places over the internet, there were many comments in the style of 'good list, I love most of these, but I never played this XXX game, will look into it'. The curator is a chance to something similar, maybe on a larger scale.

I guess I'm just not as concerned about these things as you are. There are now new Codexian games coming out. I don't think there is a pressing need to compromise.

That said, there's always a chance we might diversify more in the future. It'd be nice if Valve let you categorize the games you're curating somehow.

Mortmal

Arcane

Those are too vocal and far too important than they should be . Removing bethesda or bioware games is highly hypocrite , at least 60% of people liked dragon age here at release.They dont want of skyrim but on people profiles we are over 180 hours played , new vegas neither i guess, yet i see some people playing it everyday , that after a good day of terrorism cleansing in middle east (not pointing at anyone specifically of course) .

A codexian RPG is a game enjoyable by the majoirty of posters here ,not too dumbed down and mainstream, and if possible turn based combat system that kick veterans in the nuts .You already will have an very hard time to make this compatible with steam.

What should be included so far should be DivOS Dark souls 1-2, blackguard WL2, , skyrim , new vegas, dragon age witcher 1-2 xulima, grimrock, shadowrun, elminage , TOME .Of course age of decadence when released.Oh and obviously long live the queen since it was reviewed here.
Thats not really a big list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom