Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, May 25, 2021.

?

Will you buy one?

1. Yes, take my jew scheckles!

40 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

49 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Kingcomrade

29 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    The Linux kernel is in the process of acquiring an API to help with anticheat software, by closeley matching what Windows do. It is a work in progress and not accepted in the official kernel as far as i know yet, but it will come eventually, even as a 3rd party modification.

^ Top  
  2. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Every dudebro, grandma and grandpa realized that all these years on Xbox 360 and Wii were a waste and decided to enter the PC Master race, whatever the cost.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Azdul Augur

Azdul
    Fedora and Ubuntu will not allow 3rd party kernel module that creates giant hole in SELinux / AppArmor to allow the game to scan the system looking for cheats. And developers won't bother with Linux version that will work only on SteamOS and not on other popular distributions.

Sometimes DRM / anticheat is toned down in Linux version - and that is the way to go. DRM / anticheat should be implemented server-side - without installing crap on end-user machines - no matter if it is Windows or Linux.

^ Top  
  4. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    While i agree that server side anticheats would be best, you are wrong about the new API. The new API is not a security hole, it can only be used by specific applications that demand it, and it can be restricted by the admin. Administrators in Fedora and Ubuntu can already ruin the whole system whenever they want to, so letting the admin allow certain Steam video games to use a new kernel API is not a security hole.

Also, 3rd party patches/modifications are being used by pretty much most linux distributions. Only a few use vanilla Linux kernel.

^ Top  
  5. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It would indeed be silly to believe that. Personally I haven't heard anyone claiming magic so far. Most people know exactly where the demand comes from, or they're MUH MINER retards like yourself.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    You can play also the Switch games on it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. whydoibother Magister

whydoibother
    Okay fag.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Xi Arcane

Xi
    How well does Wine handle old games? Seems like this thing would be good for that if it does.

Not to mention, you'd probably get good battery life running old games since they don't require much compute.

Edit: If something like this does well, it may take a small bite out of windows gaming dominance.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Utfärd Novice

Utfärd
    Check them out yourself https://www.protondb.com/
    Some work, some do after a bit of fiddling or a lot of fiddling and tearing your hair out trying to diagnose why it doesnt launch. The only game that made me install windows was pathologic 1.
    You can play dosbox games on steam in a neat way https://github.com/dreamer/boxtron

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    After thinking about it, I won't get it. If I bought one, I'd use it to connect to my TV. I already connect my PC to TV while playing action games or some jrpgs. I wouldn't play on the go. I have a 3DS/PSP/Vita for that.

• thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    I've had varying experiences with getting old games to run on Wine. Some can literally just be setup like their windows equivalent with wine prefixes, but if there's no lutris script for it or a guide on ProtonDB you're likely in for a bit of tinkering and research.
    I played the original Tomb Raider on Linux recently, and honestly if there wasn't an excellent Lutris script for it, I'm pretty sure I would've been in for quite a bit of research before ending up with a functioning install. On the other hand, I tried replaying the original KotOR about a year ago and I couldn't get it to run properly on my Windows install no matter how hard I tried. Meanwhile on Linux it took me about 5 minutes to get a perfectly functioning and modernized install going.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    The only old games in my library that I can't run straight up in Wine (even with a GOG installer) are the original three Tomb Raiders and IWD2. All others I have tried (Thief, ToEE, Fallout 1&2, Fallout Tactics, NWN 1&2, Freespace 2, Diablo, Baldur's Gate 1&2, IWD, PST, Deus Ex, Abe's Odyssey) work with no special tweaks, even with the original ISOs and CD cracks.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    Thief worked OoB for you? Many people, myself included, get horrible audio stuttering and a choppy framerate without installing NewDark first.

^ Top  
  14. Wyatt_Derp Arcane

Wyatt_Derp
    Didn't Steam already try this a couple of times with Steam OS and that Steam box console thing? Steam does online PC gaming pretty well. And that's about it.

^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Proton runs a lot more games out of the box than wine does, fyi. It has a lot of game-specific fixes and various modifications.

^ Top  
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    I meant Wine in a more general manner, including Proton. Sure, Proton will run a lot of things perfectly just like that, but tinkering is going to be necessity for certain games. Really no different than getting old games to run Windows, except with a slightly different approach.

^ Top  
  18. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Some old Win'95 games run better on Wine than on Win10.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Proton patches and fixes get upstreamed to Wine-Staging. In general terms Wine-Staging+DXVK=Proton. The main differences are Steam platform specific fixes.

^ Top  
  20. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 17
    • incline x 6
    • honk honk! x 2
    • feels good man x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB Arbiter

ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB
    I hear there are a lot of extremely talented black engineers in Wakanda.

• Funny x 9
    • Yes x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Donut Touch Scholar Edgy

Donut Touch
    The president of Valve ain't black and that needs to change. Nobody cares about the tech monkeys. You just give some chink a Switch and tell him to copy that while you bang his wife in the next room.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Readher Learned

Readher
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 18
    • feels good man feels good man x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Basically what I said.

Everything hardware related they tried has been a colossal failure. The online shovelware store is doing great. Everything else, not so much. And to launch it now, in the worst hardware shortage ever (because huuuuurrrrr muh minerz are buying all the PS5s and laptops) is definitely not a good start.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shit, this thing will be amazing. Not going to do any favors for the shortages...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.