Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steelrising - Soulslike from Spiders set in clockpunk 18th century France

JDR13

Arcane
It sounds like they're drifting towards more of an action title with this one. If that's the case, I doubt I'll be interested.

I'm already a little disappointed to begin with because I was hoping for another Mars sequel.
What do you mean??? They have always done action RPGs? I doubt that it will be FPS,most likely something like greedfall. To be honest they are the most original dev in last decade or two. All of their games have unique setting or point of view. I have enjoyed all of their rpgs,fuck still remember "Faery: Legends of Avalon",really depressing game :(.

You might want to read what they said.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They said in the stream that is more action focused than anything else they have done, with more fluid and vertical movement. I guess it will be like a character action game, combined with rpg elements.
Haven't watched the stream,will hold of me hype till there is more info. Tho i don't mind action if the game is interesting,the setting seems pretty unique and interesting. The french revolution with puppet robots.

The Steelrising segment of the stream after the trailer is only 3.5 minutes long FYI.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF?

More action focused than previous games.

Fucking crazy premise.

More vertical moment.

Robo-Paris-Action-Wtf is this shit game?

It still has side quests, unique items and gear.

But where was the gameplay?

It's Dishonored's retarded cousin.

vazha

Arcane
If it was any other studio talking about verticality, I d very skeptical but Spiders did an amazing job with it in Styx and France is probably the subject they'll be most comfortable with. Add to that the usually strong story & settings that's their forte and I am pretty stoked. Best of luck to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it was any other studio talking about verticality, I d very skeptical but Spiders did an amazing job with it in Styx and France is probably the subject they'll be most comfortable with. Add to that the usually strong story & settings that's their forte and I am pretty stoked. Best of luck to them.

Styx was developed by Cyanide, not Spiders (common mistake because they co-developed Of Orcs And Men set in same universe)

flushfire

Augur
I bet it'll have their famous Backtracking and Respawn™ system with hopefully no quick travel for maximum enjoyment.

vota DC

Augur

King Louis XVI's automata army is terrorising the citizens of Paris. Join the Revolution as Aegis, fight against this reign of terror and try to change the course of history!

MFW yet another game where you play as a rebel/revolutionary

Also how are you supposed to change course of history supporting revolution against Louis XVI?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is it with Spiders and these game titles? Do they use a random NOUN+ADJECTIVE generator or something?

It's how a lot of nerd stuff is named now. name + bound/born is the most common combination. Ex: soulbound, battleborn, warborn, spiritfall, sunfall, greedfall, toiletbound, etc.

I joked about this on Twitter a while ago and quickly found 12 books titled "soulbound".

Last edited:

wahrk

Learned
What is it with Spiders and these game titles? Do they use a random NOUN+ADJECTIVE generator or something?

It's how a lot of nerd stuff is named now. name + bound/born is the most common combination. Ex: soulbound, battleborn, warborn, spiritfall, sunfall, greedfall, toiletbound, etc.

I joked about this on Twitter a while ago and quickly found 12 books titled "soulbound".

“Soulbound” is pretty lame but it makes more sense than this. At least it rolls off the tongue easier. Spider’s titles almost sound like a parody. “Greedfall” was bad enough and now “Steelrising”... did someone really think that was cool?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That Louis XVI, causing the Reign of Terror like he always does! Thank goodness the revolutionaries stopped him!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I bet Louis XVI will be a robot manifestation of SteelNet, an AI created by Marie AntoInette but broke free mind and gone mad.
Also alchemical rifles :salute:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't played a game by Spiders that i didn't like, so of course i'll also check this one out (especially if they also release it available on GOG like Greedfall). I really like how they try to create new unique settings for their games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A BIT OF POISON ON MY BLADE AND LET'S GO

THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GET DICEY!!!

Anyway... Greedfall was meh but a pleasant diversion. I like unique settings that aren't Tolkein wanks. If it's more of a straight action game like Devil May Cry or whatever though... meh. I tend to never play those.

Ranarama

Learned
MFW yet another game where you play as a rebel/revolutionary

Yeah, where are all those games where you're in the winning faction and just crush some peasants?

Anyway, I like games where they pick a premise like this and just go with it rather than trying to torture themselves trying to justify the presence of robots.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Now available as a separate video:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom