Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steelrising - Soulslike from Spiders set in clockpunk 18th century France

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
funny, one of the robots look like a guillotine that sprouted arms and legs (and gained a murderous disposition). Nice touch

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish they would simply make an RPG set in the French revolution period instead of this "clockpunk" BS. Honestly I liked Mars Warlogs/Technomancer and bought Greedfall too, but this doesnt look interesting at all...

Spiders' games are all set in universes they made up instead of being set in real world or existing universes, so i doubt we'll really ever see something like a French revolution (or anything from real world) game from them. The closest will be something that has exaggerated aesthetics reminiscent of some period but with their own twist - basically like this one or Greedfall before it.

And IMO that is for the best, their strength is mainly coming up with these weird universes, the rest aren't that great - they aren't bad, but you can find better gameplay, storytelling, characters, etc in other games anyway.

Harthwain

Magister
why is a robot grunting with effort
who wanna bet it'll be the mid-game reveal that robots are people/made of people, so they still make human-like noises?
This is a possibility. Another is that the constructor wanted for his robots to appear more life-like by having them immitate human responses in similar situations. This could go into "I am behaving like a human, aren't I therefore a human as well?" approach.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The inbetween, a parallel realm of existence that lies between the physical world of the living and the Beyond.

image.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nacon buying Spiders and then apparently telling them to make a Souls clone instead of the type of RPG they had been making is yet another one of their :what: decisions.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nacon buying Spiders and then apparently telling them to make a Souls clone instead of the type of RPG they had been making is yet another one of their :what: decisions.
it is a fact that every gamedev will eventually abandon you and disappoint you
:negative:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nacon buying Spiders and then apparently telling them to make a Souls clone instead of the type of RPG they had been making

I never heard about this Souls clone thing, when did it happen? My impression so far has been that Steelrising would be basically yet another "kotorlike" like all of their games so far. Was there any real gameplay video? From a quick search i've only found the generic 1minute intro and combat montage videos but those are pointless to guess how the game will actually play (it isn't like they're going to show the PC talking with NPCs for a full minute) and they had the same sort of videos for Greedfall.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I never heard about this Souls clone thing, when did it happen? My impression so far has been that Steelrising would be basically yet another "kotorlike" like all of their games so far. Was there any real gameplay video? From a quick search i've only found the generic 1minute intro and combat montage videos but those are pointless to guess how the game will actually play (it isn't like they're going to show the PC talking with NPCs for a full minute) and they had the same sort of videos for Greedfall.
No in-depth videos (even though it's supposed to be out in three months) but a Nacon employee confirmed it's a Soulslike. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1283400/discussions/0/3050607936309488082/#c3055112985306865071
It seems there is still some confusion about the fact that the game is a soul-like but yes, I do confirm the game is a soul-like. There is a first for everything :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those framerate dips are unacceptable. :rpgcodex:

I guess stamina for a robot/android represents overheating?

I hate fighting robots. It has no emotional impact at all. You never go "I wonder if that robot had a family".

Play Nier Automata.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom