Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steelrising - Soulslike from Spiders set in clockpunk 18th century France

Codex Year of the Donut
I just don't understand why they made a Dark Souls game instead of more RPGs
Because it's a business, not a hobbyist project?
when I'm making a good business decision the first thing I do is think to myself "hmm, what is the most generic, overfilled niche in the market currently and how can I make a product that won't stand out in the least?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This is a slamdunk so they can spend more time on Greedfall 2.

when I'm making a good business decision the first thing I do is think to myself "hmm, what is the most generic, overfilled niche in the market currently and how can I make a product that won't stand out in the least?"
It's doing pre-Greedfall Spiders numbers on Steam, so it'll probably do well enough.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I can't even count all the games set in the Steampunk version of the French revolution, let alone any version of the French revolution.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I can't even count all the games set in the Steampunk version of the French revolution, let alone any version of the French revolution.
Nobody besides terminally online redditors gives two fucks about either of those things.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nobody besides terminally online redditors gives two fucks about either of those things.
I think you're in a weird place to be throwing shade about being online too often. I'm not entirely convinced that you're not a bot.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think you're in a weird place to be throwing shade about being online too often. I'm not entirely convinced that you're not a bot.
What would I have to do to convince you to go back to reddit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you base this on number of reviews? Then you would need to account for release date (among other factors) as well. Today relative more people are writing reviews than in pre-Greedfall times.
No, concurrent players (which will reach their peak on Sunday).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This has a 66% rating on steam right now:
MNGl0N2.png
Lots of complaints I'm seeing regarding performance.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This has a 66% rating on steam right now:
MNGl0N2.png
Lots of complaints I'm seeing regarding performance.

Soulless money grab is doing poorly. I'm shocked! I tell ya.

Anyway, their next game - Greedfall 2 - will be released in 2024 and I will go on a limb and say that it will suck.

It looks like Spiders is not really thriving under the leadership of Nacon.

just

Liturgist
didnt even know it's a soulslike till today
what a dissapointment

notpl

Arbiter
Looks like another instant Spiders classic. Looking forward to hearing about how it's an underappreciated gem on the codex in a year.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yep, I have it and it's horrendously optimized.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm running it at close to minimum specs and and it's chugging a bit at 1440p in the more open spaces but it's bearable.

Quite enjoying it, it's not really very hard compared to most soulslikes, can only imagine how easy it is with this silly assist mode on. I'm not tired of the formula yet, so it's nice to have a bit of a different setting than just generic knight guy fighting undead/demons.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know Spiders loves OP ranged weapons but the frost musket is absurd, pretty much unlimited ammo with short cooldown, deal high damage, freeze everything including bosses.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
2700 peak players on steam when Greedfall has 16000 is hilarious.

Yes, everyone make soulslikes!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2700 peak players on steam when Greedfall has 16000 is hilarious.

Yes, everyone make soulslikes!
Greedfall was an outlier, these are normal Spiders Wars Logs/Bound by Flame/Technomancer numbers.

The developer’s 2013 cyberpunk RPG Mars: War Logs took nine months and €600,000, while GreedFall has taken three years and €5 million.

Steelrising is very likely between these numbers, so it's doing its job of giving Nacon their return so they can continue to chip away at the game they really care about.

Antigoon

Augur
Why do you even think this game is something like a B project for them? I don't think either Spiders or Nacon are satisfied with going back to previous numbers calling Greedfall merely a lucky outlier. If they only wanted a quick cash grab they could have just released some next gen/directors cut/enhanced version of Technomancer marketed to their much larger GF audience.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why do you even think this game is something like a B project for them?

Because it's not an 00s Bioware-style RPG. Action-game without all the messy scripting of multiple choices, just straightforward combat crawling.

I don't think either Spiders or Nacon are satisfied with going back to previous numbers calling Greedfall merely a lucky outlier. If they only wanted a quick cash grab they could have just released some next gen/directors cut/enhanced version of Technomancer marketed to their much larger GF audience.

There's really not that much they can do to enhance a six year old game that would make it worthwhile for people who haven't bought it already (especially when the old game can be purchased for $2 during a sale), so that would not give them the numbers they want.

Antigoon

Augur
I guess we won't agree here, so just two more thoughts:

1. Why would they even need some sort of cashgrab/slamdunk if their previous game was, by their standards, such a great success?
2. I don't think they massively expanded their team. In that case, they wouldn't even have the capacity to run a little side project.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I guess we won't agree here, so just two more thoughts:

1. Why would they even need some sort of cashgrab/slamdunk if their previous game was, by their standards, such a great success?
2. I don't think they massively expanded their team. In that case, they wouldn't even have the capacity to run a little side project.
Because most of that money went to Focus, not Nacon (who bought out Spiders and now expect a return on their investment). And they were 50 employees when they made Greedfall, now they're 93 (according to linkedin).

But I will concede to being wrong through my own research https://www.thegamer.com/steelrising-preview-hands-on/:

Spiders CEO and founder Jehanne Rousseau tells me Greedfall, the studio’s previous game, cost less than €5m to make and that the more-than two million copies it sold amounts to a “huge success” for them. “It’s very far from triple-A,” she says, and hinted that Steelrising’s budget was significantly more than Greedfall but still much less than €10m. Nevertheless the studio has larger ambitions for this latest title and hopes Steelrising will be distributed in Japan, which would make for a neat circle.

"Significantly more" but "much less", so let's say 7.5 million. It'll need to sell roughly 200,000 copies at full price to break even. To their credit, they're charging $50 for both PC and PS5 as opposed to $60 or even $70 that new gen exclusives are now charging, acknowledging this is a Budget game. Not looking too great on PC though. Next-gen's certainly not doing any favors for Spiders; Steelrising doesn't really look leaps and bounds ahead of Greedfall, they still have the janky animations and controls, utterly terrible performance, and it costs even more to deliver less of a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom