Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why the hell would I do that?

^ Top  
  2. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    There's an optimal strategy in Stellaris, too. It's called "research is irrelevant". Basic ship is best ship! Spam naked corvettes. The basic starter ship will defeat its own cost or power in anything else.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Not exactly. Best research is to blow up enemy ships, recover tech from them, and research only what you can't research from salvage.

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Are there any mods that make Stellaris run faster? I got a computer that can run it but I wish I could do so faster. Sorta like a few mods that make CKII fasta

^ Top  
  5. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    You can disable some of the graphics stuff using console commands. Disabling fog did a lot to help performance on my laptop. So did removing empire borders, though that makes it hard to play for obvious reasons.

^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think I'll pass, sounds like something that would just break the AI for some reason.

^ Top  
  7. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    I think he's already trying to skip to the end.
    Spoiler, bro: you uninstall and live happily ever after.

^ Top  
  8. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    GC2/3 use a rock, paper, scissors set-up for combat that absolutely shits me. Three types of defenses, three types of weapons; enjoy the guessing game. That, coupled with the ridiculous starbase/resource system makes both irrecoverable losses for yours truly.

^ Top  
  9. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Stellaris aimed to have a rock paper scissors combat system but due to developer ineptitude they failed to make paper or scissors viable and everyone just spams rocks. Is that better or worse?

^ Top  
  10. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    ^
    That's a blast from the past. Had LAN parties playing that. Late 80s? Early 90s?

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Stellaris has never given me the feeling that my beam-equipped vessels would be totally ineffective against shields. For all of its many faults, it can't compare to GC3 in that area.

^ Top  
  13. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    That's because energy weapons are the "rock" choice. Everything else fails horribly against 90% armor, but armor-penetrating weapons still work just fine against shields.

^ Top  
  14. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    What mods you guys using?

No, I mean mods that disable useless graphical shit/make it simpler, stuff I can't do from the txt file.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Really? Because the vast majority of people who boil it down to mathematics seem to be saying that a combination of kinetic with plasma is the 'best' choice, in the minmaxing sense. Only missiles really underperform, while energy weapons are solid all-rounders.

Meanwhile, in GC, there's no conversation to be had.

^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    If you need to guess a lot, you are playing wrong.

Anyway, I wouldn't call it a straight RPS system. Weapons are about more than A beats B beats C. Kinetic is low-range, high-rate and super cheap - but lacks damage. Missiles deal most damage and have the highest range, but fire rather slow and are most expensive. And beam weapons are in-between. Any army just relying on one type is countered by defense types, not really by weapon types.

And as others have said, Stellaris attempts something similar. It just doesn't work. Missiles still suck even when focused on (and even against opponents not especially equipped to defend against them), long-range beats anything and generally the type of ship matters far more than what exactly it has equipped. Plus, there are only two defense types. Evasion doesn't really count, since it is all but useless on anything but the smallest ships.

Now I don't even know what you are going on about.
    Seems to be a pretty solid system to me: Build starbases to mine resources, offering the choice to focus on certain resources or spread out - mostly depending on what ship types you want to go for. Make sure to think where you put those bases up as you don't have an unlimited number of them and defend those most vital to you.

The system makes for far more strategic choices, as huge blows to enemy infrastructure are possible. Blowing up the right starbase or shipyard can really hurt. In Stellaris, everything just seems to be a long slog, conquering planet by planet, as all somewhat developed planets can just replace each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Varvarg Educated

Varvarg
    playing on hard. seems only way is to make alliances? the AI always outbuilds you. Cheap A.I

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Plasma is better than Lasers. But Kinetics are all shit vs. armor. Kinetics are strictly early game weapons for when you aren't fighting anything with armor, or if you are specializing for one of the end-game enemies who don't use armor.

^ Top  
  19. who says "we" aren't? :troll:
    NSC and ISB. Plus, LEX is pretty kewl, but one of the better additions (a shielded ringworld) has its graphics a little messed up by Utopia.

Also, I'm rather hugely butthurt that the guy who made the original (and extremely good) ringworld mod deleted it for some reason after Utopia was released. Suspicious. It was actually in many ways better than Utopia's ringworld system, but obviously incompatible with Utopia.

^ Top  
  20. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    In upcoming patch hiveminds now can keep conquered species as livestock instead of processing them. Also, traditions for devouring swarms changed also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    What's the Stellaris equivalent of those No Map Transparency/Flat Map/No Shadows mods?

I've heard ships are a big cause of slowdowns

^ Top  
  22. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    That was expected
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    And one can bet all those start as cybernetics mods will rejoice.

^ Top  
  24. Heresiarch Prophet

Heresiarch
    Got the game yesterday and I paid 70 euros because I was stupid and did not buy it during the summer sales but I was really in the mood of space 4X.

The game plays like a weird chimera of various 4X games messed together. The tradition thing is basically Civ5's social policy, the different FTL travel methods reminds me of Sword of the Stars, the building stuff on planet surface feels like GalCiv, the events and "quests" is sort of Endless series' storytelling.

Some parts of the game feel very unpolished or awkward, especially the controls. Not able to straight zoom out from local system to the galaxy screen is really annoying for someone who used to play Distant Worlds for example. A lot of hotkeys seems to be missing (survey, construct mining platforms, etc.). UI and the universe map seem may turn into a huge mess as I expand with all the tiny numbers appearing everywhere.

I have played only for 2 hours but so far all I do was survey systems, research anomalies/projects, kill some pirates, build colonies, and read the stories and fluff. Hmmm that does cover the all 4 eX's, but for some reason it is missing some of the "spark" that makes the game feel truly unique. And it definitely has not given me those awesome LARPing moments like how CK2 or EU4 does.

I hope it is only because I am still very early in the game and have not seen everything the game offers. Can you guys point me to the right direction to look at the game so I will not blame myself too much on wasting 70 euros?

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    AlphaMod, New Ship Classes, More Events Mod, LEX, ISB series and Star Trek: New Horizons (ST:NH if you fancy a total conversion).

But look, this is one game where you really have to make stories happen. The game world won't relentlessly put stuff on your plate. It's been tough for me, because I hate diplomacy and interacting with NPC empires (other than puritanical conquest). CK2/EUIV use the RNG and event chains to force you into LARPing moments - Stellaris by and large won't. It's a traditional 4X in many ways. Factions and self-imposed playstyles are key for proper enjoyment. Breaking the game is fairly easy, so a great deal of the challenge is committing to the LARP.

And wars are still boring (this aspect of the game will probably be majorly redesigned at some point in the next year or so).

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.