Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Thane Solus Arcane

Thane Solus
    Wow, Paradox never ceases to amaze me. I played 3.0 for a day after not playing since like 1.5 or less. Its another game, and its awfull, i mean i like the fleet management, limit on fleet, energy for leader and a few QOL here and there, but that planetary management is horrendous, and removing the FTL, was absolutely retarded. Uninstalled and after i read on forums, i installed 1.9 and had a blast. I might try when bored 2.1 as well, for qols, since it has everything new, but it brings the freaking lanes...

To justify the existence of gazilions expansion and dlcs, they start breaking their games, its hilarious. They shouldve made Stellaris 2 with that stupid planet management and lanes...

Surprisingly CK 3, was ok, i finished it, but after a few dlcs/expansion they will break it:)) Did they managed to destroy Hoi IV, or they made it better?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    I don't think I've ever had an FE survive to the earliest possible awaken date before I snuff them in their sleep, or a crisis arrive before I had won the game, on standard dates.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    It's basically impossible to not dominate the galaxy before 2400. It's weird that these are still the default dates, it's basically carebear difficulty even for 1st time players (nevermind that AI with no difficulty bonuses is also carebear as hell with how easy things are). Or maybe rather than carebear I should describe it as journalist difficulty. Defaults should really be changed to 2250 and 2300.

Yeah, the AI fundamentally just can't handle both the new planet system (ai economy dies unless it has +100% bonuses) and the new FTL system (travel times are so long to respond to anything that conditions change before the AI gets there and it ping-pongs around, also can't merge fleets at all). And even for players, it's annoying and a hassle to handle unless you play "tall", which means only micromanaging a few planets for hundreds of years.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    ^ Top  
  5. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    You say nobody when I'm quoting someone who apparently plays the same, curious.

^ Top  
  6. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    It's an expression.

^ Top  
  7. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    With the speed of the FTL system, it makes you wonder why they even bothered having an FTL system. We could just be slowboating it like real men!

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. what am i doing Arcane

what am i doing
    When I do play Stellaris I tend to play tall simply to avoid the hassle of actually having to move my navies any great distance due to how slow it is.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    They released naval combat DLC which killed naval combat.

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    The problem is that PDX remade the planetary management and FTL speeds from quick reactionary system to a slow planning one. So any move, no matter how minuscule requires some kind of long term planning. Which means that actions takes in 2335 must have been pre-planned at least in some way in 2334 or earlier. This is of course impossible for the AI to do without making stupid especially when that planning has to extend to decades with megastructures. This leads to retarded mistakes where the AI is constantly building alloy foundries to get the alloys for the war but leaves everything else barren so after its stockpile inevitably depletes it enters a death spiral where it does not have enough minerals to build new districts, after which it begins to starve because of non-existent agriculture, after which all production goes to shit because no food and so on until the AI with 100% bonuses to everything cannot even raise a couple of corvets to protects its own homeworld.

All because in the moment spamming alloy foundries was the right decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    Any good asymmetrical campaign mods (ie there is an established map and powers and you simply pick who you want to go with ala the other pdox games)? The missed opportunity by pdox to make a space game of their own by making it a 4x just like everybody else is a shame.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    the star trek mod surely has.
    there were also star wars and 40k mods, no idea if they've been finished in the last years.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. chuft Augur

chuft
    Last time I tried to play I discovered they added an "intelligence" layer so I could no longer see what was going on because I didn't have spies everywhere in my saved game.

Is it even worth learning the game all over again?

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Old One Arcane

Old One
    It wasn't worth it the first time.

• Despair x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Donut Touch Scholar Edgy

Donut Touch
    I just tried this turd since it should have gotten enough DLCs to be playable now and it was awful. This might be the worst fucking 4X game I have ever played. How the fuck did it get so much additional content when it is pure shit? The only thing you do is to micro your planets and get spammed with research projects every now and then. Even Master of Orion 3 was better than this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Thane Solus Arcane

Thane Solus
    Over 1.9 is unplayable. 2.14 Has some interesting bits, but it removes the travel jump drives, but the hyperlanes. The most i played was 1.9 which is good, its a copy of Distant Worlds and other games, made in their own way. Of course you got to use a lot of mods, to escape the wokeness of paradox ...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    This would, again, be a weakness as far as Paradox is concerned: Paradox's strength is in historical scenarios. If you create a preexisting sci-fi space scenario out of things nobody knows or cares about, it doesn't work.

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    My biggest gripe with the community is that it likes to bitch about how fucked the game is but will never even consider abandoning the current broken build for the functional older ones. Modders refusing to maintain their mods for a broken version of the game would do a hell of a lot more to fix it than just... well the nothing that PDX community is known for.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    That's why people make preexisting sci-fi based scenario on estabilished franchises that people already know, like Star Wars or Star Trek

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    The game concept would've probably worked if they'd actually made an entire setting instead of going with procgen garbage. That way they might have had the chance to make more interesting scenarios and factions and aliens that we could care about. This, as opposed to endless fields of procgen copy+pasted...

Well... Daggerfall sucks, and fuck you.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    So does Diablo.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. chuft Augur

chuft
    There is a hilarious cognitive dissonance that occurs when you hear soaring "space empire" music while you spend all your time managing unemployment.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. BrotherFrank Nouveau Riche Patron

BrotherFrank
    I maintain this game was good once. I mean i pirated it and felt bad for doing so, its the best litmus test there is.

But if I were to pirate it today I’d uninstall it after 20 minutes, when you need to shop around for dozens of mods to undo every fuckup the devs have added something has gone horribly wrong. And then said mods clash with other mods you installed since it’s piles of spaghetti code laid precariously upon each other like a tower of Jenga exarceberating performance issues and it’s like fuck, stop making dlcs and patches for this game you hacks :argh:

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Sounds realistic to me, this is what you actually would be doing when running a real empire. See: Real Life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    Yes, but you see the problem is that Stellaris is not actually about economic management. Its a war game/exploration game that only had this economic aspect tacked on in patch 2.2 and little was done to expand or fix any of its failures. Because since you have no control over where pops go or what they do the only efficient way to manage economy is to wait just a few ticks before a new pop is spawned to que up a building/job you want it to take, if you dont do this and build ahead of time your pops will take random jobs and your economy will collapse simply because nobody works at the power plant. Now imagine that this is something you have to do with around 30+ planets and now imagine that this is as deep as economic management goes in Stellaris as making sure that your pops are not unemployed is as deep as the system goes.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.