Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    All and none of them at the same time.

What I mean by that are that Paradox are incredibly jewish and things that should be base game features are put into otherwise worthless expansions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    Only the host needs to have all the DLC, just so you know. But ideally you'd pirate the whole thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    my copy of the game started depoping the entire galaxy at the start of the game. I think I found a bug with messing with the logistics difficulty because I'm certain it shouldn't be doing that.So I made the most of the situation and started roleplaying Kharak from Homeworld.
    Now I unironically want that as a start! the idea that you're on a bad planet mid apocalypse and have to save your people before they all die.

^ Top  
  4. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    there were mods for that, years ago. doubt they've survived the patches. best you might get now is just tomb world start while (maybe) forcing your abitability to something else.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Wait, isn't that one of the origins available in empire generation since like 2-3 updates ago?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    So after a while away from Stellaris (During Necroids, but that was like five minutes), I'm back. Using 3.1.1 Lem because my Alternate Distributor doesn't have 3.1.2 yet. Played fifty years so far. Here's my KKKs:

- I like the way First Contact is done, now. Re-using the Archeological Site system for it was a good idea. Before, it was pretty much an annoyance to do first contact, and I often deliberately did not engage in First Contact, because I wanted to keep surveying their systems for anomalies and such. It was also annoying because it used your Society Scientists. Now, there's actually a meta to it. Using envoys was an excellent idea. I also like how both codebreaking tech and having more first contacts on your belt make First Contact easier.

Folding contact with Stations/Space Monsters/Drones and such under the same system was an excellent idea, even if in some cases there are "tells" to wherever you're seeing - Marauders are easy to tell due to their stations and ships with OP strength, stuff like Ancient Drones and Amoebas are generally abnormally strong and pretty non-aggressive, true faction ships are usually mobile and you can spot their stations, and neutral stations practically make it clear to you on the onset.

I like how some species can try to avoid contact, or even deliberately attack your people, even if its annoying to lose scientists and science ships to their attacks. Its also important now because you have to choose between free surveys on undiscovered territory or getting that sweet influence you need to build more starbases and guarantee more territory from the AI. It doesn't seem to foster first contact wars, tho - maybe that's different if I am playing a Genocidal, for example. Makes me wonder if we can use the First Contact to fuck over the AI somehow before a big rusher attack.

- Fucking finally there's more "Fog of War". Aliens literally going "Hi there, strange space alien, pleased/displeased to meet you, here's all my systems, kthxbye" was stupid as hell. Still think the game needs more to explore, depending on your map size, exploration is all but over by 2220-2230-2250 - in my case

- Industrial distracts are better than the previous system because now it's easier and less popullation-dependant to build up alloy capacity. Still wish they separated Alloy and Consumer Goods in different districts.

- Anyone feels like the Anomaly research rewards got better but for the most part they're still weak? Most anomalies give research bonuses but overall they seem too weak for the most part.

- Why do we have an Auto-Survey button but not Auto-Exploration?

- The Spying system seems underwhelming to me, but then again, my faction is not geared to using it at all. I think the best take-away is that it makes things more nebulous, so it's harder to know, for example, how you measure to the empires.

- Being able to choose your tradition trees at will was genius, thank you very much to whoever thought that up. It's pretty good for Unity-focused builds (Spiritual) They do need to boost some of that shit up, some traditions (Discovery, Exploration, Supremacy) are clearly superior and some shit is clearly underwhelming and weak (like Unyielding). They need to buff the crap, same goes for a bunch of Ascension perks (who the fuck uses "Grasp the Void"? Well, I did see a necroid hive mind guide to make it kick ass.

- AI seems more aggressive than before but it still needs to be more violent in general. There's a bunch of Fanatic Purifiers sitting with their dicks in their hands in my game, and they seem pretty decent-ish.

- Still needs more optimization. I mean, it runs decent in my T430 at medium map size, but it could RUN FASTA.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. L'ennui Magister

L'ennui
    So basically incline? Hmmm might pitch an MP campaign to a friend after we're done with our HoI4 run.

^ Top  
  8. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Not really , just bored people who are seeing less flaws. It's still as shallow as before with only one way to play it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Maybe.

I think it's getting better, but It's not there yet.

The Custodians Initiative is a step in the right direction, I believe. They realized the game had several problems was fucked up, and so they decided to go and actually take initiative to fix it with feedback from the fan base. Its funny, it definitively feels less "Abandoned Game" than HOI4 and its skeleton crew "keep the engine hot" development.

I wonder if they plan to go with Stellaris in the long-haul, or are merely using Stellaris as it is now as a base for tests towards a future Stellaris 2 that is a better game from the ground-up? Stellaris 2 could be pretty good if they used the same engine and optimizations from CKIII. AFAIK CKIII was being developed for a while then, while they were still releasing CKII expansions. Not that I think a Stellaris 2 is in the works, Vicky 3 is in development, I find a HOI5 or EUV in the works far more likely than Stellaris 2.

Personally, I like Stellaris, I think its one of the boldest, most experimental titles Paradox launched. GSG/4X hybrid, that was certainly... different from their usual fare. But it has issues.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    New Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-dev-diary-227-looking-after-the-ai.1493900/

This time, focused on the AI:

• incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tyrr Learned

Tyrr
    'We decided it's a good idea to tell the AI how to handle new content at the time we sell the new content and not half a year later.'

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Stellaris is a game that I really desparately want to like, and want to be good. There's not much else like it apart from Distant Worlds. So, honestly, I'm inclined to say it's better late than never and hold my breath for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    I absolute adore this. This implies the AI was ever min-maxing its way to victory when in reality since 1.9.1 it was barely able to handle managing one planet. Its problem was not that it was not "fun" to play against it, its problem was and is that the AI straight up incapable of playing the game without having insane cheats on its side and even then it can barely hold out.
    I would like to believe they are fixing the AI but statements like these make me question if they even know what state the AI is in or if they are simply guessing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tyrr Learned

Tyrr
    The AI never recovered from the planetary system rework with the mega-corps patch.

^ Top  
  15. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Why people are still playing this garbage game and supporting this garbage company?

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    Findom is one hell of a drug.

^ Top  
  17. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    There's nothing else, distant worlds 2 not out.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    They will never make it fun because it has foundational problem. Everyone starts at same place while "advanced kingdms" wait for check to be on.

In other words there is no fun. All changes etc you make ultimately don't matter because everything is static and it takes eons for something to flip table and give some lower players chance to get on top. It is minmaxers dream game as there is nothing that can put their civilization in dire situation.

It has ineresting ideas like crisis, leviatans and so on but they all feel completely artificial and predictable. It would be interesting if for example suddenly flottila of scourge like aliens cut off half of your systems leaving newly colonized planets, that would force players to change their strategy. Alas nothing like this happens. It would be great if for example AI would rise on your systems and they started to fight your pops having effectively inside rebelion. Or you do orbital bombardment in some minor conflict hitting some ancient relic site which activates fleet of nanomachines terraforming few planets in system creating conflict point not only for you but few other nations.

Same with resources. Resources are waaaay too distributed effectively making every nation the same. If resources were much more scarnce and randomized then you would have case where lasers are bad router for tech because you don't have resource X but now alien blaster Y you found on some archeogy site would be nice because you have resource Y on other hand someone who doesn't have any resources he would choose to go with quantity and make up difference in firepower with maybe more ships or better defense or making allies etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    The funny part is that all of what you mentioned is technically in the game as I am typing this but its implemented in such a ass-backwards way that the only way it ever shows up is if you actually fish for it. There are minor crisis mechanics like the great Khan that can cut the galaxy in half but the entire event is setup in such a retarded way that unless you are borderline cheating the great Khan is always stronger than anyone else, thus joining him is the only viable way forward and therefore he is no longer a problem whatsoever. Worse yet, 90% of the time the entire event ends with the Khan randomly dying and creating a hole where his territory was, meaning that dealing with him is at worst entirely a matter of waiting for him to commit sudoku.
    Rebellions can occur only when you have extremely low happiness but are effectively always doomed to failure as the rebels are almost always piss weak, meaning that unless the rebellion happens at literary the worst possible moment in the game, its never anything more than a momentary annoyance. The biggest problem the rebellions can cause is that they cost you influence to declare war on the rebels.

The content technically exists but its implementation into the game renders it effectively worthless. If they were to fix the game with their whole "custodian initiative" they would need to release patches at least monthly to to finish before 2023. At the current rate they are going its effectively worthless.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    What? I routinely eat the Great Khan for breakfast. I don't think I'm "borderline cheating", the game is just piss easy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    Oh, yeah I forgot that I tended to play with mid-game setup to start as soon as possible to facilitate at least some challenge so the Khan spawns much sooner and was therefore much stronger. My bad, sorry.

My point still stands though. The Khan is either weak as piss or only an annoyance that solves it self, not a actual threat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Reminds me of the old Glavius times. Great Khan always got BTFO in like five seconds back when..

Personally I feel Stellaris needs more emergent content to keep the game dynamic. Someone said rebellions don't do anything and I agree, the mechanics don't sustain them right now. They rebel and then what, some planet with no fleet decides to go 1x1 against your empire? You're fine as long as you have two planets.

Rebellions shouldn't be just some planets getting pissy, but something more involved, more phased, which eventually gets sprung. Say, your domineering empire oppresses like 10 alien races spread across the galaxy. Eventually your masses of alien slaves, thralls and second-class citizens start conspiring together to overthrown you. So they start doing things like creating cells across planets, smuggling in ships, allying with criminals, pirates, etc... until the day of the Rebellion, upon which they start coups on their planets and fly their own rag-tag rebel fleets.

I think something like CKIII's system might be an appropriate way to make it work. Perhaps fuse it with Stellaris' factions, and have both Legal (Political Factions, Political Parties, etc) and Illegal Factions (Factions made ilegal by the player, Organized Crime, Rebels of all kinds, etc).

It would also need interplay with the Espionage System. The most successful rebellions in history often have foreign backers. Perhaps with diplomatic system as well, with strong enough ilegal factions being "invisible" nations who are capable of conducting diplomacy with other powers?

I think another example would be to have a proper Religion/Ideology/Philosophy system. That would totally shake up the old Spiritualism-Materialism thing, with nations having different religions, ideologies, etc.

In other facts, holy shit Cybrex Warforms are awesome for ground assault. Enemy armies break, but your Warforms literally are not programmed to give a fuck. That Cybrex artifact was totally worth it.

Question: What is the best way to deal with Empire Sprawl? After two wars with a nearby neighbor and their annexation, leaving me as the strongest power in the galactic northeast, I have immense amounts of Sprawl.

That's true. I think it would be better if special resources could only be purchased if another faction is actually selling them to the market, or directly, not magical resources from galactic market for starters.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    You have pop jobs, (??i think administrators??) that give you more capacity.

^ Top  
  24. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Distant worlds did rebellion a lot better, i remember large part of the empire and many planets , former conquered aliens, seceding with some fleet when you went unethic path. You wotn see stuff like this or anything happen because of their business system, they milk it with dlcs but none of the dlc must be mandatory, so you get shitty superficial stuff.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    Really all it would take is for the rebellions to take over a chunk of your fleet. There is no need to over-complicate things. Really most problems in Stellaris would be trivial to resolve if PDX wanted, the problem is that at this point I am 100% certain no one working on the game has any idea how it functions and their entire decision making process is based around guessing what would produce the most "clicks".
    The lag problem is entirely due to the insane number of pops they ask of you to have. The straight forward solution is to reduce the amount of pops or turn into a regular resource(a.k.a only one variable with one value) because lets face it they already are a resource. But PDX keeps pretending they are not and that somehow individual pops do something in the game besides enabling production.
    The AI problem is entirely due to the glacial pace of the game since the AI cannot reasonably plan 3-4 hours ahead. It can "think" in the moment and simply shortening build times and increasing ship speed would do wonders for it. But again, no because we have to pretend this is some super duper deep 4X game.
    The empire homogeneity could be entirely solved by bringing back individual labs for each category and letting the player choose what in which field he wants to research. If I want to focus on industry and only use kinetic accelerators I should be allowed to do so, instead of waiting for RNGjesus to randomly offer the option.

Most of these fixes are trivial to implement but they would require PDX to eat humble pie and admit that some decisions they made in the past were for the worse and somehow that is simply not something a company can do these days. For some reason.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 11:37 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.