Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

a fucking nightmare fun
ftfy
gas the map painters more mechanics now

In CK2 I have to start at the later bookmarks with smaller countries just to get any enjoyability out of it. The coalition system was probably one of the best additions they ever made, historicity be damned.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yeah CK in space would be extremely my shit as well. Except Clausewitz would have to be put out of its laggy fucking misery first.

Quigs

Magister
Rebellions and Civil Wars were the part I hated most about CK2. It was just a "fuck you for winning" timer that'd go off every few years no matter what you did, and just bogged the endgame down needlessly.

That's what retinue is for. You build em up into a few thousand and have them sit around doing nothing keeping the rebels from firing.

My empire included the entirety of Scandinavia, Hungary, Germany, France, England/Ireland, Spain, The entirety of the eastern map border (before they introduced the Huns DLC) and parts of Italy. Every two years or so, 2/3rds of one of those empires would go on a civil war, sap all resources and focus, and then I couldn't even kill them off because they were family. All I wanted to do was sit back and watch my vassals do all the work. If I could have, I would have focused entirely on keeping rebellions down and morale high. As it was, it was another of those half-assed "we need rebellions!" derp ideas that meant you'd get fucked over and there was nothing you could do about it.

rezaf

Cipher
I dunno, Paradox and rebellions... Luke and Han sure would've been happy about their free upkeep free stack of five Deathstars I guess.

The discontent stuff when you capture a planet in Stellaris doesn't exactly leave me hopeful. A rebellous faction with a single pop membership has been existing for a century. They blow up a building every couple of months. I invested the outrageous 600 influence it costs to go through all three levels of integrating them, but it had no effect whatsoever?
This is craptastic.

Prime Junta

I dunno, Paradox and rebellions... Luke and Han sure would've been happy about their free upkeep free stack of five Deathstars I guess.

The discontent stuff when you capture a planet in Stellaris doesn't exactly leave me hopeful. A rebellous faction with a single pop membership has been existing for a century. They blow up a building every couple of months. I invested the outrageous 600 influence it costs to go through all three levels of integrating them, but it had no effect whatsoever?
This is craptastic.

Agree about the free upkeep stacks magically appearing. Having a planet rebel and declare independence would've been quite sufficient, especially if there are diplomatic repercussions for violently suppressing the rebellion.

I have succeeded in integrating rebellious factions though. The influence/energy credits thing is a short-term fix, it doesn't address the discontent that causes the faction to emerge in the first place, so that's what you need to address. You can see how happy the pops are and by hovering on them, why they're unhappy. Then you can do stuff (tm) to reduce the unhappiness. Once it falls low enough, the faction loses support, and eventually disappears.

tl;dr I built a building which spews drugs into the atmosphere, put my best governor in charge, and changed a policy they didn't like

rezaf

Cipher
The influence/energy credits thing is a short-term fix, it doesn't address the discontent that causes the faction to emerge in the first place, so that's what you need to address.

Well, the option I'm referring to is under "Manage Factions" or whatever it's called and it's way, WAY more expensive than anything else you can do. It having almost no effect when costing 600 Prestige (while you're capped at 1000) makes no sense.
With factions that have more members, I've indeed had greater success with what I'd think of as fighting the symptoms - Propaganda Broadcasts, Gas Injection and the like.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
My Stellaris empire was and is super-stable. Even if one, two, even ten planets will rebel - I could still crush them with doomstack. My two recruitment waves from core worlds could wipe their armies without a problem. I seriously can't see how rebellion of a single planet to be successful against a huge stellar empire. the way I see this could work is to make empires more fragile, make planets be vulnerable to unrest, strikes etc. Now, even opposite ethos pops are quite content. Because now I can drown any rebellion is a dozen of clone armies and don't feel a thing about losses, while they would struggle with keeping their upkeep costs.

Prime Junta

The influence/energy credits thing is a short-term fix, it doesn't address the discontent that causes the faction to emerge in the first place, so that's what you need to address.

Well, the option I'm referring to is under "Manage Factions" or whatever it's called and it's way, WAY more expensive than anything else you can do. It having almost no effect when costing 600 Prestige (while you're capped at 1000) makes no sense.
With factions that have more members, I've indeed had greater success with what I'd think of as fighting the symptoms - Propaganda Broadcasts, Gas Injection and the like.

Yep, I understood that's the one you were referring to.

It is useful in an emergency as it can prevent a rebellion, but it won't solve your problem long term.

(BTW I made the same mistake, attempting to manage a faction by burning influence; thought it was really dumb until I figured out how to get at the causes. But IMO it does make sense to have both expensive quick fixes and slow actual long-term fixes available.)

Norfleet

I have succeeded in integrating rebellious factions though. The influence/energy credits thing is a short-term fix, it doesn't address the discontent that causes the faction to emerge in the first place, so that's what you need to address. You can see how happy the pops are and by hovering on them, why they're unhappy. Then you can do stuff (tm) to reduce the unhappiness. Once it falls low enough, the faction loses support, and eventually disappears.

tl;dr I built a building which spews drugs into the atmosphere, put my best governor in charge, and changed a policy they didn't like
I enslaved them and put them to work in the mines, for their new overlords. Now enslaved and toiling in the mines, they no longer had the free time to plot terrorism. Idle hands are the devil's workshop, after all. WORK MAKES YOU FREE!

Prime Junta

Space empire game discourages players from settling planets.

Got it.

Nah, if you build reasonably sanely settling is a big net benefit. But if you don't build any labs/make use of the "natural" research opportunities, then yeah you are handicapped.

Without the penalty, big empires would be at a massive, massive advantage. It'd be really hard to catch up with one of the Advanced Start ones.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
One of the neater moments I had was when I figured I could use my genetic engineering as a xenophile empire to pacify some rebellious pops by giving them conformist and content. Their entire species. Never had any trouble with them after the brainwashing.

But yeah, game needs some work.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
This is craptastic.
Those options reduce popularity/support. Only use them when the faction is at 30% or more. As Prime Junta said, address the underlying issue the pops have, and they will soon be happy. I've integrated eight races into my Empire of Love and Tolerance, all used to have independence factions, all of which are now gone.

rezaf

Cipher
I've now understood it's in fact not the case, but IMO the integration option I used clearly implies it's supposed to end faction agression or atleast strongly contribute. It's prestige price tag alone STRONGLY implies that.
Ah well, can we say the game does a piss poor job of telling you how to deal with such situation?

Main reason to settle more planets is to get more fleet cap.

Fleet cap fairly quickly becomes not even close to an issue (it mainly matters in the 1-5 planet range when you want to quickly rush an AI to get a huge mineral lead and snowball faster).

What you want are minerals and gas energy. You'll probably hit the 1k fleet cap cap before you can maintain 300.

I've now understood it's in fact not the case, but IMO the integration option I used clearly implies it's supposed to end faction agression or atleast strongly contribute. It's prestige price tag alone STRONGLY implies that.
Ah well, can we say the game does a piss poor job of telling you how to deal with such situation?

Game does a piss poor job of a lot of things.

FWIW slavery ends all factions.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
40k? I've got two 150k fleets with the More Ship Classes Mod (which adds Battlecruisers, Fleet Carriers, Dreadnoughts and a monstrous Flagship). They're currently treating the Unbidden very unkindly.

And my energy reserves are suffering.

:negative:

I think the mod scene for this game could be something special.

rezaf

Cipher
The inevitable Star Wars and Star Trek (and hopefully Babylon 5 too - a man can dream) TCs will probably be nice enough.

What leaves me worried is the space combat. I guess we'll have to wait for an official DLC on this one.
IMO, it needs to be achieved that maintaining multiple fleets is desirable and that tactics are a thing, with long-range focused ships actually trying (successfully if they're fast enough) to stay as far away as they can from the enemies and stuff like that.
It needs to be achieved that fortrifying systems with battlestations and other defenses will actually give them a measure of safety, i.e. ability to fend off a fleet.
As it stands, wars are too much of a duel at sunrise affair where everyone brings everything to one battle and the winner takes it all.

Also (and with this in mind), when the Dominion destroys the combined fleets of Federation, Klingons and Romulans, it shouldn't be so they can only take Bayor and two of it's moons because of the war goal system.

actually the smaller the fleet the faster it jumps, so technically a wormhole race vs hyperspace/warp could harass and pick all the enemy starbases one by one.
the problem are the defense bases, they prove no threat whatsoever, are bloody expensive and can't be upgraded. they should have been equivalent to eu4's forts which could stop to a halt an invasion for weeks, months, even years in some cases. give me that and a bigger empire could suffer because of the aforementioned harass tactic and because the bigger toll on its economy.

as i said, i've been playing master of orion 3 again and there planetary defense are formidable, much stronger than any fleet for a long part of the game, they require either huge numbers or huge firepower to be overcome. a well prepared, well entrenched little empire could last forever (if its systems are self sufficient).

lasers lose focus, missiles could be intercepted/outmanouvered/have not enough fuel to chase the target, a bullet can be dodged.
also a game needs abstraction.

nigga, please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom