Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Still Life" Sucks, Right?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm a bit surprised to discover that this game has a pretty good reputation among adventure gaming types, so I was wondering what the general Codex consensus was on it.

I thought it was awful. Like, one of the worst adventure games I've ever played.

I was expecting something like a CSI type adventure, and it kind of was for maybe the first 20 minutes or so (which has you investigating a crime scene), but then it takes a turn towards the nonsensical and half-assed with puzzles where you have to get your boss coffee and one of the dumbest adventure game puzzles I've ever encountered in a game, where you stop what you are doing in the middle of a murder investigation to bake fucking Christmas cookies for your dad (based on a coded list of ingredients that you have to decipher). And you can't continue the investigation until the Christmas cookies are done! Seriously, couldn't the designers think of any puzzles that related to the plot in someway?

And then there are the awful, out of context, puzzle-puzzles. I don't mind these when they make a minimal amount of sense in the context of the game's universe, like when a guy who is into puzzles locks a box with a logic puzzle (which is one puzzle in the game I didn't mind). But other times they are completely retarded, like when construction workers lock their crane using a logic puzzle (because apparently they live in a universe where everyone is too retarded to do a logic puzzle, so this is just as safe as using a key?).

Plus, the lock pick puzzle, which is maybe the worst logic puzzle-puzzle I've ever encountered in a game. It's just endless, seemingly arbitrary, brute-forcing that took me over an hour to solve and which is made needlessly frustrating by the fact that the game never explains that you can re-lock the unlocked portions of the lock, which is necessary for the final solution (or it doesn't adequately explain it anyway. It gives you like 2 pages of instructions prior to doing the puzzle, where it vaguely alludes to it, but I didn't think it was made clear enough. And giving the player 2 pages of instructions for just a one off puzzle is shit puzzle design to begin with. They should have had several of these through out the game and had them get progressively harder as you went. Which would have made the mechanics easier to grasp, although it wouldn't have made the game much better as they aren't that fun to do on their own).

Of course, all of this would be somewhat forgivable if the story was good, but it's not. It's just a bunch of warmed over 90s serial killer movie cliches. The switching between time periods is a sort of neat gimmick, but the story sucks so bad that it's kind of pointless. The dialogue is terrible, the acting's bad, and I didn't particularly like any of the characters (the best probably being your ancestor who you play as in the past, who's kind of interesting in that he marries a prostitute, I guess, but you don't really get to see that).

Plus, the game has no ending. You spend like 15 hours investigating a case and then it just kind of stops. You never catch the bad guy and no mysteries are solved. It's like the developers just ran out of money or something.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's the second part too. Didn't like it either. Pretty much forgot about them.

Last edited:
I think it came out during an adventure game drought, on the heels of Syberia and similar garbage, so I guess people were more lenient than it deserved. I never did like the Microids adventure games.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I thought the first one was alright, although it was considerably plagued by the typical Microids-style ridiculously obtuse puzzles. Also, the abrupt cliffhanger ending was cheap as fuck. I liked the character/time switching, though, even if it was mostly because the 2nd character was the Post Mortem dude, and I was constantly expecting some references to that one (because Post Mortem was coolio, even if it had horrible gamebreaking bugs and quite a bit of Microids Puzzles (tm) ).

If you thought Still Life 1 was bad, though, you should check Still Life 2 out of sheer scientific curiosity. That game was SO fucking bad it still makes me gag today when I think of it. The way it showered you with its retarded conspiracy plot, COMPLETELY anal "logic" puzzles, and combination locks that would use numbers found just about everywhere on everything in the game made me feel like I was taking part in some kind of a sadistic parody of A Beautiful Mind: The Game.

Plus, the lock pick puzzle, which is maybe the worst logic puzzle-puzzle I've ever encountered in a game.

Oh man, you haven't played Post Mortem :lol: Microids have a "thing" for making lockpick puzzles, you see.

A user named cat

I recall quitting this game when I reached a god damn slide puzzle. Oh how I ever hate those stupid, tedious things. Way to force one in a crime solving adventure. The lock pick puzzle sucked too, I just followed a Youtube vid with a frown on my face to get through it. Talk about taking you out of the game's story and atmosphere, and sucking you into a realm of fucking mini-games and time wasting filler.

Cromwell

Arcane
Plus, the game has no ending. You spend like 15 hours investigating a case and then it just kind of stops. You never catch the bad guy and no mysteries are solved. It's like the developers just ran out of money or something.

As far as I have read they originally planned the sequel to be also a direct sequel storywise, which would explain the ending. I hink in the second one flashbacks explain who the killer was although that has nothing to do with the story of the second. Also I found it very obvious who the killer was by the end of the game. I didnt have the feeling like there were any important questions left unanswered, but I agree it would be better with a proper explained ending instead of leaving the player alone to fit it together.

iqzulk

Augur
For anybody wondering about the ending/sequel: you might find this interesting.

EDIT: Fixed the link. Should now work properly. I hope.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The beginning of the game was really nice. A murder scene, where we must find some evidences of crime. It could really work for a thriller/crime adventure title. But they filled the story with some of the most horrible puzzles ever, and after investing in it so much time I just wanted to finish it and see the ending. After reaching it, I didn't have power to continue with the sequel. I liked the chapters where we have opportunity to learn about the past history. Maybe some day I'll try sequel, if my inner morbid curiosity will be high enough.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Still Life's "prequel", Post Mortem, is good though (despite some shortcomings) and it's a pretty different game in most aspects.

buzz

Arcane
Why? I can see why people would think that about Syberia 2 but the first one was as good as they can get. Even the puzzles weren't that bad compared to typical Microids stuff.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
syberia starts out great and then manages to get progressively worse, bit by little bit.

bledcarrot

Educated
Syberia is shit too.

and fuck you asshole

I liked how Syberia began, the setting etc. Then about three hours in I realised there were no puzzles. Which was odd because there seemed to be a lot of opportunity for them.

Find a panel with three or four metal rods? Hmm looks like the perfect place for those different sized cogs I gathered earlier. I guess I'll have to work out the correct combination of sizes to get them to....oh nope, will only let me put each of them in their pre-determined place. Door opens. Way to rob me of any semblance of involvement.

An interesting looking automaton with a slot in its back. Guess I'll feed in these punch cards. Oh it plays a piece of a song! Interesting, maybe I need to feed them in the right order so that the pieces match up to make a melod - nope, just needed to feed it the blue one.

I mean does it get better? Because I'll happily go back to it if it does. I gave up because I felt like I was clicking my way through an only kind of interesting movie. Like I say I liked the setting and the writing, but I don't play games to watch movies.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I mean does it get better? Because I'll happily go back to it if it does. I gave up because I felt like I was clicking my way through an only kind of interesting movie. Like I say I liked the setting and the writing, but I don't play games to watch movies.
No, it get worse, they put more effort in her shitty relationship with her boyfriend.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog said:
I consider Syberia to be a badly written and executed game form a moronic developer. Seriously, all Benoit Sokal does is write childish stories where he tries to blend fantasy with real places and historical events without any actual research or any writing talent. He just makes up shit along the way and tries to pass them as real locations/events. He completes his game by adding unrelated myst-like puzzles that don't blend with the environment, or story. He is a lazy hack. He's like Jane Jensen's complete opposite.

DraQ

Arcane
I kind of liked Syberia because of (somewhat oneiric) atmosphere, but the only puzzle I remember that wasn't absolutely trivial was one where I had to phone somewhere (and I'm assburger enough to try to avoid it IRL as well).
Still better than Skyrim in that regard, though.
:troll:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Syberia is okay, all other Sokal adventures are utter tripe though. Especially Paradise, which was basically Syberia copy pasted in the tropics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom