Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stood up and Befriended, the Nagas of Crawl (a lil NSFW)

Yeesh

Magister
Zomg said:
Daggers are for homos unless you are setting up every single enemy for a stab. Base damage of 4 is horrendous. Even sabres (7 base) are useless as non-stabbing weapons pretty early. If you are doing damage with non-stab, non-unarmed melee you need to get into the war axe - scimitar - morningstar - trident tier as fast as possible.

Try an ice elementalist, excellent combo of powerful early game with freeze, throw frost and some icicle to powerful midgame with icicle and bolt of cold. Earth elementalist is also strong early-mid in 0.8 now
Oh, that does explain things. I was just thinking how silly that is. In reality, I'd totally rather fight a guy with a sword or a two handed axe type thing than a guy with a knife. A guy with a huge, cumbersome weapon's not going to hit you unless you're not paying attention, you'd just lunge into under his swinging radius. A guy with a knife can stab you dead much more easily.

Next up, the last of the stalkers. Then we'll fire up some elementalists.

Yeesh

Magister
M1bar.png

Please allow me to introduce Lech X. He's a stalker with big dreams.

9ebZK.png

The kobold falls, and level 2 is the reward. I have a good feeling about this guy.

ZHpef.png

The second level of the dungeon seems a little crowded.

0eSxt.png

Another experience level won the hard way.

ICw1H.png

The old self-confusion bomb. Take that, suckers!

N0041.png

Hmmmm. What's this? Well it's a staff of power could give Lech much greater reserves of magical energy.

naAdG.png

Smacking things with the staff seems to be working so far, as Lech X achieves level 4.

rhFGi.png

Well here's a famous fellow who's been absent up until now. Notorious for killing even players who DON'T suck, Sigmund will be quite a test for Lech X. Let's see how this works out.

y7YC1.png

The staff of power, when combined with my packrat potion stockpiling, allows a barage of evaporate spells. It's not a fair fight at all, and Lech's victory and ascent to level 5 surely feels hollow. But when you're a useless half-snake monster, you take whatever sullied moments of relief you can get.

igdBW.png

A skybeast. Being new to 0.8.0, I don't really know much about them. The wiki seems to have nothing, and the learndb makes them sound not so bad, especially since naga can see invisible.

KX31c.png

A little steam and some spittle works not only to get out stains, but also to propel Lech X to sixth level. I choose Int. And the beast's corpse provides a potion of mutation, which Lech X is sorely tempted to drink. But he resists for now.

1sKDM.png

With level 3 cleared and a few scrolls piled up, Lech X decides to start trying things on. Unfortunately, nothing is cursed, so Lech refrains from trying scrolls. Fortunately, Lech discovers he's been carrying a dagger of venom, a robe +2, and a ring of wizardry. There is another ring and an amulet, as well as a magical sling, but apart from their non-cursedness their properties remain mysterious. With a ring of wizardry and a staff of power, Lech is in a position to add some spells to his repertoire. Sadly, the book of Stalking doesn't really have much to entice us. Other than the awesome potion making and shooting, there are: Passwall, Petrify, and Dig. I think having Passwall and Dig much later on would be very convenient, but I'm just going to come out and say this: the book of Stalking sucks.

PF9gh.png

Oh dear. Down the stairs Lech X is met by the ghost of a DEEE. Not a lot in the playbook for dealing with such a threat. Let's see.

YJm4x.png

The ghost is immune to poison by nature, but he also seems to be immune to the flame darts Lech is so lucky to have as a backup. It doesn't say he's fire resistant, but the darts don't harm him. So this is looking like another game over. Any suggestions?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Go up the stairs before he rapes you. Ghosts can't follow. You could try bashing him in melee a bit first, but I doubt you'll win, so it'll mostly just add to your regen time and potential danger.

Zomg

Arbiter
Passwall is actually pretty fucking good, esp. for a Naga who has terrible conventional escape ability. Will certainly help save blink and teleport scrolls if you keep it in mind. Petrify is the book's stab setup for poison-immune enemies, but stabbing with a slowass Naga using confuse is so shit anyway you couldn't possible build around stabbing off mephitic clouds. I find playing as a stabber with anything but enchanters or spriggans (or spriggan enchanters) to be gayballs

Yeesh

Magister
DamnedRegistrations said:
Go up the stairs before he rapes you. Ghosts can't follow. You could try bashing him in melee a bit first, but I doubt you'll win, so it'll mostly just add to your regen time and potential danger.
Holy fuck. I totally forgot about that no follow thing. Well that's a relief.

Zomg said:
Passwall is actually pretty fucking good, esp. for a Naga who has terrible conventional escape ability. Will certainly help save blink and teleport scrolls if you keep it in mind. Petrify is the book's stab setup for poison-immune enemies, but stabbing with a slowass Naga using confuse is so shit anyway you couldn't possible build around stabbing off mephitic clouds. I find playing as a stabber with anything but enchanters or spriggans (or spriggan enchanters) to be gayballs
Yeah, the perils of stabbing seem to be many. I've never passwalled, but the description made it sound like it takes several turns so I figured it wasn't for combat use. Lord knows an escape mechanism would be helpful.

Zomg

Arbiter
It's 3 turns to pass through a 1-tile rock wall, +1 turn for each extra tile of rock. It's not a panic escape, you have to be proactive about it and not wait until you are at half HP.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You could also try stabbing using a horde of conjured butterflies as distractions, but it's the weakest kind of stabbing and distraction occurs rarely and stabs on distracted creatures also occur rarely.

Petrify is shit. The target will be practically immune to damage anyways, and only stay frozen for one or two turns. I don't know why they don't give the player paralyze like enemies have. Or give enemies petrify instead of paralyze. It's stupid that the player gets hit by the effect you can't do anything about while enemies get hit by the effect they could react to but don't because their AI can't handle it. And they don't even use it as an excuse to make petrify more useful in any way.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I must say I changed my mind about stabbing after having one shotted a stone giant with a demonic trident. Was very satysfying. Things one could do with short swords must be awesome...

Zomg

Arbiter
DamnedRegistrations said:
Petrify is shit. The target will be practically immune to damage anyways, and only stay frozen for one or two turns. I don't know why they don't give the player paralyze like enemies have. Or give enemies petrify instead of paralyze. It's stupid that the player gets hit by the effect you can't do anything about while enemies get hit by the effect they could react to but don't because their AI can't handle it. And they don't even use it as an excuse to make petrify more useful in any way.

It's different in 0.8, the enemy is now stabbable (similar to confusion I think) as soon as the spell hits and they're still only slowed, instead of just when they're finally paralyzed and have the AC bonus. It's very useable with a true stabber.

I play like stabbing is worthless unless you are focusing on short blades so you can one-shot anything, I've never bothered using it with other weapons so I don't know how viable it is.

Yeesh

Magister
dUA1x.png

And so Lech X boldly charges up the stairs, flush with the thrill of escaping from something for the first time in his short life. The journey to the next downward staircase will take a very long time, but Lech X accepts his lot stoically. On the way he decides to memorize Passwall, which might keep him alive if next time his escape isn't so convenient. But he sure wishes he could memorize something that would help him kill stuff.

Brvki.png

Lech X adds a couple of blowguns to his arsenal, admittedly pretty redundant.

yvwnq.png

Damnit. I want that ring. But Lech retreats without taking the risk.

UZbBa.png

Ah ha! Could this give Lech some needed killpower? Not really. A book of Hinderance is better than nothing, but a naga isn't in a great position to take advantage of slowed monsters. Confusing touch would be something if Lech fought unarmed, but christ like he isn't wussy enough. However the spell Confuse works on the undead, so Lech considers memorizing that shit pronto. Then he notes he'd be casting it at 'Fair' even WITH the ring of wizardry. Ouch.

X0E1I.png

A slave, eh? Sounds like that whippy guy's in the house. Lech readies the staff of power in anticipation of a potion barrage. He lives for shit like this. What a little freak.

Zbsnx.png

Annoyingly, Pikel has spawned in such a way that his posse is not grouped together, which is a real let down when all you want to do is spam clouds on masses of enemies.

0UP2e.png

After a stupidly long fight that really emphasizes how Lech X can't actually kill anything, Pikel succumbs and Lech X climbs the experience ladder to level 7. Pikel is thoughful enough to leave behind a +2 robe of life protection and a whip of flaming, neither one of which really excites Lech but they're better than nothing. I'll add that for some time Lech has been wielding or wearing everything he's come across (excepting armor that takes too long to put on) in the hopes of finding something cursed so he can ID scrolls. Of course the first scroll he tries will surely be Curse X, but we have to play smart.

rTQUy.png

Lech X lays down the smack with the staff. It is tempting to train staves skill, although that's the one fucking weapon aptitude that Lech gets -1 in. Still, all the others are at 0, and that's not a huge difference all things considered. On the other hand, staves suck. But it's nice having 23 MP instead of 10.

At this point Lech has about 650 experience in the pool and a spellcasting skill of two. Lech considers memorizing the Confusing Touch spell just so he'd have a one-point, non-starvation-bait spell to practice with.

tBLbO.png

Ok, Lech X can die now for all I fucking care. Really, a goblin needs to be zapping a fucking wand of frost? From max range? And of course Lech is wearing a ring of fire, and of course I didn't notice. Fuck this annoying goddamn game. A patch of potion gas entices the goblin to wander in and die, but Lech and nagas and not being able to kill anything has gotten on Yeesh's nerves. Also running low on potions, and haven't found shit for food, which is excascerbated by the fact that spellcasting is low, which is exascerbated by the fact that transmuters (which Lech is not but still) don't get to use their one-point spell, or even a two-point spell, to victory dance.

And so Lech X, who does NOT have spell levels to waste, being an idiot already, wastefully memorizes Confusing Touch. And fuck you, Crawl. Fuck you.

TPnSW.png

And here's the temple. And here's an ogre.

684td.png

Some confusing gas, a whole lot of spittle, and plenty of XP left over from Pikel combine to push Lech X up to eighth level. His dexterity decides to enhance itself. Inside the temple there are many altars, but Cheibriados is not represented. Lech is hungry and fountains give no nutrition. Lech tries on more armor and weapons but nothing is cursed or useful. Yeesh wonders what god to take, since he was planning on Cheibriados, and ends up taking a break.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Get Makhleb. That should get you through to the Lair or later. Some fucking summons and nukes cant hurt too. And you will have ways to kill stuff.

Alternatively Nemelex Xobeleh. Decks are random but good for killing and for escaping.

Yeesh

Magister
And now, the continuing (BUT FOR HOW LONG????) adventures of Lech X.

DEsZp.png

Makhleb is chosen for Lech's slavish worship. Some crap is dropped, and Lech moves on, hoping for one cursed item so he can ID scrolls with an easy mind. Also hoping for food. Because naga always be hungerin', yo.

BbfRP.png

Does this look suspicious? If Lech X weren't so hungry he'd passwall it. But then maybe he'd die, I'm new at this whole walking through walls thing.

0BM1a.png

Lech X finds a rod of venom, which is like fucking give me a break here. How invested can one character be into poison? Still, Lech appreciates the thought. Moments later a teleport trap confirms (I think) that the mysterious ring Lech is wearing is not a ring of tele control, and neither amulet is stasis. We're trying to play SMART.

q8g28.png

An imp survives Lech's entire ordinance of missile weapons, and Yeesh starts to wonder what the point of this shit is.

ogbSd.png

Here's a store and the entrance to the orcish mines. And here's 5 monsters at once. Lech X prevails, but it takes forever. A mighty warrior Lech ain't. Among the dead stuff, Lech X finally finds a cursed weapon. He sits down to read some scrolls. Nothing too exciting happens.

9gQ24.png

Lech X buys some +1 bracers of archery, because why not?

WZ6nH.png

Ah, a lone centaur. Obviously a deadly challenge when you SUCK. Let's hope Lech X doesn't die. (The centaur goes down, but doesn't leave a corpse. Fucker. Lech is sooooo hungry.)

4qRxZ.png

Christ I hate centaurs. Eventually this one dies too. On an unrelated note, Lech X discovers his amulets are resist mutation and resist corrosion, both decidedly niche items for much later in the game.

9nCpa.png

Lech X finds a book store. So that's something. Nothing explosively exciting, or is there? Maybe we'll have to think on it.

sAuZX.png

An ice statue. Guarding what? We may never know.

tZSdf.png

Lech X slings a hound zombie to death to achieve level 9. He's found an amulet of the gourmand, which may really help with the hunger issue. Things are looking bright! Expect Lech to die soon. I choose Int.

P4KUz.png

An ice beast. Time to put those flame darts to use. Don't forget, Lech X is all about the ranged weapons now. (15 flame darts later, most from point blank range, the monster is "moderately wounded". Impressive killing power, Lech X. You are the man. (but once he falls back to his +2 sling of doom, the monsters are mowed down; I'll give Lech credit for that. Maybe I should play a halfling instead.))

PQOlH.png

Oh dear, killer bees. Naga are born poison resistant, and bees are born poison susceptible, but let's not forget that Yeesh can lose a naga to anything. And the movement speed imbalance is pronounced. (Things eventually turn out just fine, though I lose some faith in the power of the sling. Maybe bullets instead of plain rocks would help. And what does Lech find next? The altar of Cheibriados. Ah well.)

WmYpB.png

Well isn't this a fine how do you do?

Yeesh

Magister
Actually, this is a wonderful find for Lech X, a gentleman uniquely suited to take advantage of such a bevy of big kobolds.

dold9.png

In the ensuing mess of kobold-on-kobold infighting, Lech X manages to reach his namesake experience level.

jiyeV.png

Our welcome to dungeon level 10 is provided by a Wraith. Surprisingly, Lech X has 2/3 life protection, so that's something. And his new greatsword of electricity might come in handy here... if he had any skill in long blades. Lech tries to play is safe and engage at range...

aoLAb.png

...which doesn't work out great. This is one of those moments where I could just give up and keep swinging until Lech or the wraith dies. So let's do that.

7E3Cw.png

And I do. And Lech X dies. Because really, fuck it. Like one or two more hits out of the 400 swings was all he needed to succeed, but he didn't have the heart. I don't need a quitter like that on MY team.

Code:
3791 Lech X the Vandal (level 10, -1/80 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Stalker on Mar 1, 2011.
             Was a Believer of Makhleb.
             Slain by a wraith (12 damage)
             ... on Level 10 of the Dungeon on Mar 2, 2011.
             The game lasted 02:55:14 (10269 turns).

The lesson here is I don't know. I guess a naga needs to be able to hit things that are immune to poison. Something like that. But really it's just fuck Lech X. Lazy little fucker.

Zomg

Arbiter
Death by fatalism, they don't put that in your morgue file but they should

Yeesh

Magister
What happened to Lech X really got me thinking. The whole point of playing one race was to give me a chance to really learn them inside out and appreciate what they're capable of. So far I don't seem to have made much progress on that. But I've got some ideas:

1. There's enough fucking poison in the dungeon already. You can kick a lot of non-poison-immune ass with blowguns and of course spitting (note that spitting is really inaccurate. It's all fine and well when it hits, but it misses a lot).

2. I'd like some magic for kicking poison-immune ass, and also kicking undead ass. I'd also like to start with a book that has an easy victory dance spell. That's key.

3. I need to power up a weapon skill. Barring a lucky staff of power (fuck I wasted Lech X's amazing fortune), a naga isn't going to have the MP to just cast and cast and cast.

4. I love distilling potions from corpses and I love evaporating them into grenades. AND for starts where that's part of my MO, a corpse god is right out.

5. I get frustrated and kill off my guys. This means I will never, ever win Crawl.

So all that hasn't cohered into a strategy yet, and anyway I started this gentleman before such deep thoughts. So without further rambling, albeit with plenty of subsequent rambling:

cgOMk.png

This is my friend Lech XI. He's an ice elementalist, ready to go the distance. Naga have no particular magic aptitudes but one, being at 0 across the board except for poison. This gives them the great flexibility that humans have when it comes to using magic. And we all know what a popular race humans are.

IeIXX.png

Sleep well, my pretties...

gkc8P.png

The frozen kobold points the way to level 2. The hobgoblin sleeps soundly through his bunkmate's death. I miss being able to make potions out of corpses.

1Z4XN.png

Oooo, a buckler. I'm always looking for one of those. Sadly, naga have a -2 to shields (you know, because naga suck), but a buckler might not gimp casting too badly.
Lech explores the entirety of dungeon level 1 without discovering a single blade for butchering.

xjOvD.png

The blade problem is solved, and now it's clear that this is the shield game. Lech XI can wear two shields and kill things with his mind.

XdtBh.png

Frost and spittle put an end to a snake, and usher in a new era of Lech XI being third level. I pick Int.

FE5tk.png

Frustration and starvation and general annoyance pushes Lech XI down to dungeon level 4 because fuck you that's why. A snake dies and now Lech is level 4 himself. But of course the snake does not leave a corpse.

JrI6q.png

Lech XI finds an altar to Sif Muna and figures, what the fuck? Life is short when you're a naga, might as well believe in something. You'll also notice Lech has picked up a sweet +0 helmet that makes him look badass.

G9I22.png

Another snake kill, which Lech kind of feels badly about, the way human scientists must feel awful when they experiment on monkeys, although I guess for naga scientists a more apt analog would be a half snake, half moneky test subject, but anyway the point is Lech XI is now level 5.

FIATF.png

So I seem to be noticing this more in .8 than I ever saw it in .7: level 4 is divided into pieces and level 3 is divided into pieces, such that going to a different part of level 4 actually entails going to not just level 3 but fucking level 2. Which must be fine for spriggans and everyone else, but naga burn food, despite whatever bullshit I read that says they don't. This fucker gets hungry fast, and traipsing 50 or 60 turns through the already completed dungeon just to get to the rest of the level seems to be a huge go fuck yourself as well as a sort of enforced enforced scumming since you end up fighting respawns in areas you've already cleared. So fuck you, Crawl. Lech goes down to 5 instead, since the alternative would be starvation. And here's some orcs. Not being a transmuter, Lech XI is not really prepared for this. I should sneak away but fuck that. Fuck that with a plunger.

2dQ6f.png

Surprisingly the priest goes down after a lot of spells and some darts. But Lech is nearly finished. I say let him die if he can't handle this.

eV8Ju.png

But Lech XI survives to hungrily devour some orc flesh. Fucking fuck this anyway. Look, there's the stairs back to dungeon level 4.

SBrxj.png

A little of the old blowgun on the scorpion trick helps Lech XI reach level 6. Personally, I don't care if he lives or dies. You hear me, you little fucker? I choose Int. Note that eating orc flesh and being sick for like 5 seconds of course took a point of Dex which will surely come back around turn 30,000, which turn Lech XI will surely live to see.

Also note the annoying level layout. Fuck you, Crawl. How does that make the game better? I thought doing away with tedium was a design goal. But what I really mean to say is fuck you.

J7RF4.png

Here's the temple, but Lech XI has already pledged himself to Sif Muna. If you'll recall, my reasons for doing so were: The altar's right there and Why not?

PdNEs.png

Imps always used to piss me off, but being susceptible to cold this one died nearly instantly.

28RL8.png

A phantom, on the other hand, is immune to my trickery. At this point I wonder if I should have memorized Throw Icicle, but at a hunger level of 'Honeycomb', the spell would just be a chilly suicide. Lech XI is already fucked when it comes to food. Of course, now he's fucked in a more immediate way. (Lech XI barely makes a getaway, training slings in the process. Now he can just starve to death).

eSOWL.png

Lech finds a runed greatsword and figures, "What the fuck?" Turns out it's not cursed, but no brand either.

kjlAs.png

Our old friends the gnolls. Can Lech XI kill them without starving? (Yes, Lech now uses the blowgun instead of any of his actual abilities.)

Mcqao.png

Third imp this level. I'm not complaining, they're awfully easy for Lech XI. After, our hero decides to try things on and hopefully ID scrolls. The only ring he's picked up turns out to be cursed! Yay! A ring of hunger! And guess what? None of the other scrolls are remove curse. That's never happened to me before, not after clearing 4 full levels (and despite appearances, I've played this game a lot). But Lech DOES read a teleport scroll!

w1KTK.png

And here's where we land. Not actually such a tight spot, but who cares since Lech is going to starve?

1UHxv.png

In the ensuing brawl, Lech XI achieves level 7. The blowgun is mighty against this crowd. Look, there's imp number four. Lech clears the area out, chops up some corpses to get that sweet, tainted meat, and moves forward in his suddenly very urgent quest to find a scroll of remove curse. Although he's only a glorified @ symbol, Lech XI still has the wherewithal to think, "Fuck you, Crawl."

Yeesh

Magister
Must... find... scroll of remove curse. Until then, must eat every corpse and continue to lose stats to disease...

DH0q3.png

Plenty of fighting, and lots of completely wasted corpses. Look, fifth imp in one level. Does that mean something? A bit later, I realize that Lech XI picked up a scroll, and lo and behold the curse of hunger is lifted, or at least reduced back to the normal annoying naga state. But not the curse of having cleared 5 levels and found no other jewelry. Kind of anti-climactic, but I'm not complaining.

6mZYV.png

Oh but there's that phantom. Again, Lech XI has no defense at all. How embarrassing.

O9pPZ.png

After firing so many missiles at the phantom that you seriously, honestly would not believe it, I mean like 40 shots, Leck XI bites it. He could have read a teleport scroll, he could have quaffed a potion, he could have simply sucked less. But not Lech XI. He was a true naga.

Code:
746 Lech XI the Frost Mage (level 7, 0/51 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Ice Elementalist on Mar 2, 2011.
             Was a Follower of Sif Muna.
             Slain by a phantom (4 damage)
             ... on Level 5 of the Dungeon on Mar 3, 2011.
             The game lasted 01:00:57 (5144 turns).

Lesson learned: Again, the need for weapon skills. Or earth magic. Resist rock, bitch. Also, escape or heal rather than just saying fuck it and dying. That one's a life lesson, really.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You inspired me and I tried playing some naga wizards. My second one got to level 14 IIRC before I ran out of killing power provided by mephitic cloud. Lesson learned is: memorize more freezing clouds you moron, you got the spell, fuck you what were you thinking.

Anyway wizards seem to be the way to go with naga. You got blink, mephitic clouds and magic darts to take you safely to levels 3-4 and kill imps too, conjure flame to kill giants and trolls and ghosts. Try that, remember to train swords and level DEX (you start with 9-18-9 and thats enough INT for now, thank you). Worship Vehumet since he>Sif Muna for summoners/conjurers and why the fuck not be one.

Yeesh

Magister
Malakal said:
You inspired me and I tried playing some naga wizards. My second one got to level 14 IIRC before I ran out of killing power provided by mephitic cloud. Lesson learned is: memorize more freezing clouds you moron, you got the spell, fuck you what were you thinking.

Anyway wizards seem to be the way to go with naga. You got blink, mephitic clouds and magic darts to take you safely to levels 3-4 and kill imps too, conjure flame to kill giants and trolls and ghosts. Try that, remember to train swords and level DEX (you start with 9-18-9 and thats enough INT for now, thank you). Worship Vehumet since he>Sif Muna for summoners/conjurers and why the fuck not be one.

Hmmm, I'll have to give that a shot next. I don't seem to be running out of naga...

Yeesh

Magister
tJ5OQ.png

This handsome fellow is named Lech XII. He's another ice elementalist, becase the last one had potential. Maybe he'll smarten up and find a decent weapon early on. It's a little tricky to train melee weapons with these guys because Freeze, your go to spell in the early game, only works at melee range so when a monster's right next to you you have to pick one or ther other.

zx0dT.png

Lech XII is off to an ominous start. Everything he meets snuffs half his hp per hit. But Lech XII is no quitter.

6BlOt.png

A kobold-cicle points the way to level 2.

oiKKo.png

Discovering an altar of Vehumet, Lech XII figures, "Why not?"
Lech was also fortunate in that the first weapon he wielded for butchering turned out to be a dagger of eletrocution.

xFhnF.png

Don't really have a plan for killing these guys, being all of second level with 4 MP and no armor. Lech XII slowly and quietly backs away.

xVDPb.png

Kobolds never remember to bundle up, and this frozen little guy ushers Lech XII to third level. I choose Int.

swqjj.png

Ah, Crazy Yiuf. Lech XII decides to go for it. As that chick from Conan said, "Do you want to live forever?"

NEEFe.png

Almost dead? No, he heals himself completely. What an unfortunate and go-fuck-yourself-y turn of events.
:rage:

Z5qKb.png

And quite predictably, Lech XII dies... not unlike that chick from Conan now that I think about it. Having gotten the drop on Yiuf, Lech XII was well within his rights to try and take him down, and unlike so many of his brothers, Lech XII died blameless. A double poisoning and some thrown frost almost had Yiuf dead, but for some unknowable reason someone decided that Yiuf gets a potion. Because fucking fucking fuck fuckity fuck fuck, that's why.

Code:
154 Lech XII the Sneak (level 3, -3/25 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Ice Elementalist on Mar 3, 2011.
             Was an Initiate of Vehumet.
             Slain by Crazy Yiuf
             ... wielding a +2,+3 quarterstaff of chaos
              (5 damage)
             ... on Level 2 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:13:36 (1995 turns).

:salute: Lessons learned: Never try to kill anything because you can't.

Yeesh

Magister
AVN9a.png

The last two ice elementalists got some pretty raw deals. Will third time be the charm for the final Lech? Let's find out!

B19l9.png

Spitting at a hobgoblin somehow makes all Lech XIII's abilities grow. Don't inquire too closely about it.

5Iu0U.png

Woe, deja vu. I choose Int.

gZlIC.png

An annoying ass snake finally gets his comeuppance, and look ma, we're level 4. Str increases. The snake does not leave a corpse, and Lech XIII is near starving. He eats a chunk of goblin flesh, and is now near starving and sick. C'est la vie.

sCqyw.png

A lot of minor combats with things that only left tainted corpses later, Lech XIII reaches level 5. He's down a point of Str from eating bad meat. He's got that cursed sword, so maybe now's the time to try some stuff on and read some scrolls. Note Lech XIII has discovered only 4 potions, and no more than 1 of each.

heh38.png

OK, I lied. I wanted to at least clear 3 before I started IDing. Lech XIII achieves actual starving status. Sweet. He'll eat one of his two bread rations. In a wildly unlikely turnaround, his point of Str has come back.

bz0ae.png

After an underwhelming ID session (Amulet of guardian spirit? Awesome. Ring of protection +1? I'll wear that!), Lech XIII stumbles across Menkaure. We will attempt a retreat.

dujUA.png

An early altar to Sif Muna settles the god question. What do I care? Lech XIII will be dead soon anyway.

Zb1VP.png

I've never seen so many scrolls. Soon thereafter, Lech finds a large shield and decides to leave it alone. He would like to do some victory dancing to work on spellcasting, but we should minimize our time on this level because of that stupid go-fuck-yourself mummy.

MZIo9.png

A little freezle dazzle, and Lech XIII joins the ranks of naga who've lasted to experience level 6. Being the reliable sort, I choose Int.

f3A9k.png

Down on D5, Lech XIII encounters a centaur, one of the many banes of naga existence.

R1rqc.png

Lech XIII is able to sneak up to the centaur, but the latter is not alone. But these monsters being wusses, they are dispatched quite handily. Lech XIII decides to try some things on and read some scrolls. That's probably a bad idea on an unexplored level, but what the hell right? However, nothing else is cursed, so Lech retains his cursed sword rather than risk teleporting into trouble. He's now got two uncursed mystery amulets, and a +1 elven robe makes him stealthier still. Shhhh. We're hunting rabbits*.

*(the rabbits represent Lech XIII's death)

4gfQy.png

A very lenghty fight with a hound skeleton fails to grant Lech XIII the Fighting skill, but does level 7-ify him. Good for you, Lech. Also he recently upgraded his +1 ring of protection to a +2 ring of protection. Wow Lech is all but invincible now. Now is probably a good time to read scrolls and be rid of this stupid cursed short sword. Not that it will improve Lech's battle prowess by much.

Yeesh

Magister
vdIRt.png

Oh, one of THOSE levels. Whatever, it's not like Lech XIII was going to be escaping anything anyway. Scroll ID session didn't go fantastically. Lech is now wearing a mace of protection ffs. Would a dagger of speed be better? I dunno. Let's hope level 6 is inhabitted by hippies or really small things.

tHfeX.png

And what do we have here...? (It's the book of Callings. Better than nothing, maybe.)

a1Qyc.png

Lech XIII dispatches a few orcs, trying his hardest to gain the Fighting skill. But then more orcs show up and things get shitty. I'm guessing we're near the entrance to the mines. Where's mah clouds of poison? I take a few moments to try and remember how Lech XIII kills things, but I'm drawing a blank.

gV9rD.png

And here, even from mostly full health, I can predict game over. I use my ace frost spell, and miraculously it hits instead of missing, but the orc warrior is simply unharmed. Bye, Lech.

AsizD.png

By blinking once I put up a more spirited attempt to not die than usual, but not so much that I blinked a second or third time, teleported, tried a wand (frost, so probably wouldn't have done anything), or did anything an idiot wouldn't do. I also think I forgot to use my breath attack there at the end. Interestingly, I seem to have found no healing potions this game.

Code:
754 Lech XIII the Chiller (level 7, -12/51 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Ice Elementalist on Mar 3, 2011.
             Was a Follower of Sif Muna.
             Mangled by an orc warrior
             ... wielding a +1,+1 orcish great mace
              (15 damage)
             ... on Level 6 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 01:05:50 (4853 turns).

Lech XIII is dead, and that is a tragedy. But he is dead because he had no code. He is dead because he had no honor, and God was watching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom