Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stood up and Befriended, the Nagas of Crawl (a lil NSFW)

Yeesh

Magister
Yeesh's Super Elite Crawl Tips:

Be careful.

Keep Potions of Confusion in your stash; use them to ID that Amulet of Clarity.

Carry a Scroll of Magic Mapping just in case you need to find a labyrinth.

Acquirement scrolls are delightful, but don't buy them unless you're rich.

DO NOT drop your prized Cloak of Preservation in the Abyss. I can't emphasize this enough.

Hoard everything. Just in case.

Use the big spells, once you can cast them. It's tempting to economize and zap with that 4MP spell you used in the mid game, but you'll just end up having to cast it two or three times, when you could have just zapped an orb or fire storm and used the turns you saved to channel.

Tornado + Blink = Yeah, you've pretty much just won.

(If a girl casually mentions that her husband is NYPD, that means ABORT!)

Fuck Crawl.

Currently killing off:

sqqnmc.png

Nipsy a/k/a Nips a/k/a The Nipster

(Click her name to experience her genesis, or just go to the last page to read the latest. Or do whatever you want, this is America, god damn it. Unless you're somewhere else.)

The Roll of Honor:

12 dead Lechs, with a thirteenth still alive!

8 dead Hraaks

8 dead Saigos

5 dead Brugs

Molly is dead
Melinda is dead
Marianne is dead
Marlena is dead

Nicole is dead
Nina is dead
Nancy is dead

I suck at Crawl. And I want to either beat it or die 100 times. So let's do that.

This thread isn't really worth paying attention to. It's inspired by, and I'll surely be guided by, 7hm's excellent LP of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. That's a wonderful thread because everybody's playing together and sharing and winning, except me because I suck. I'm going to be asking for advice over there, so as not to be replicating Crawl threads, but I do want to keep track of what I'm doing without cluttering up that one. Does that make sense? I hope it makes sense.

So I've decided to throw down the gauntlet to this fucking game and beat it or get sick of it. So I'm either going to ascend or die tryin'. And for now I'm thinking, why not nagas? Because they suck like me.

Fucking Nagas. They're slow. Slow means you're fucked. What's great, what's truly fucking amazing is that the Crawl devs actually made a god who wants you to be slow: Cheibriados, who sounds like a perfect fit for nagas, except... Well it's funny that I should mention the word FIT, since a naga's' inability to wear boots means he misses out on one of the biggest perks of the god, which is massive stat bonuses when filling all slots. Not having anything in the boots slot means a naga misses +5 to all stats, which is a pretty huge kick in the teeth, which by the way is something else naga can't do because they lack feet. So fuck it. Naga don't need your stinking charity god.

Feel free to give me advice, though again I direct any non-Yeesh-specific Crawl discussion over to 7hm's excellent LP of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. We don't need two threads, I'm just trying to keep my little project from cluttering up another man's LP.

EDIT: The first images are crappy, but they get a lot better in short order.

sVLjoh.jpg

Lech I in all his snakey glory. He's a transmuter, which means he uses potions to confuse things that aren't immune to poison. Except he won't be able to do that until character level 3 at the earliest, and his starting weapon is a bare-handed bitch slap. But maybe, just maybe, he'll be the one to go all the way!

nOeBth.jpg

Naga barding! Surely a good omen.

smvlmh.jpg

Lvl 2...

FLTz8h.jpg

Lvl 3 already? Clearly Lech I is a scaly killing machine. I picked Str. Not sure how I'm going to do the stats, but not being able to carry stuff pisses me off. Finally memorize evaporate, but at "Good" it won't be much "good". I also realize I haven't been distilling corpses. Gotta get into the zone here, snakey. Note that useless altar to the Shining One. That god's only for people who are actually getting somewhere in the game.

yuRUTh.jpg

Wow, ogre on level 1. Super fair. Tried to back away, forgot I don't ever do that. Hmm.

16f8Dh.jpg

Ouch!

bmhM8h.jpg

Ha ha.

8RdyTh.jpg

Nice work, image host. Let me add that being able to eat kobolds just feels right.

8LPNXh.jpg

Lvl 5. Christ. I've never leveled so fast.

teYIxh.jpg

Ogre on two. This seems to be the ogre challege. Also, doing well on filling the armor slots with nonmagical crap.

YHZxfh.jpg

Level 6 already? God bless evaporate. Going Dex as I realize I'll be shooting. Also, don't know what I'm doing. And experience level 6 on dungeon level 2? That's weird. Little fucking goblin wielding a dagger of pain. How I'd have killed to find that on lvl 2 with my DDNe. Ah well.

MGrUih.jpg

Jackals: Oops. Got to remember not to advance towards anything ever.

hIUm6h.jpg

Grinder: Fuck. Welcome to dlvl 3, bitch. It's good to be stealthy.

6aexUh.jpg

Hmm. Transmuters don't have too many tricks to use against ghosts.

rRj1Ah.jpg

This is not going well.

PZICDh.jpg

But I get lucky and my strategy of meleeing and hoping for the best pays off.

AwNJBh.jpg

Fucking gnolls.

K21Eph.jpg

Ok, so I'm thinking that's game over right there. But maybe some confusion clouds can set this to right...

sANyYh.jpg

So you're at quite a disadvantage as a naga when it comes to chasing confused monsters around. So I'm thinking ranged weapons will matter. Sadly, this majestically shitty race gets a -1 aptitude for every single ranged weapon catagory. That's fair, right? Other races get to be good at some and bad at some, but let's make the slow guys just suck at all of them.

F2LLYh.jpg

Aw, fuck. You again. Poison immune = sucks to be you, transmuter face. It occurs to me that I should memorize sticks to snakes. The wiki describes Grinder as not very threatening, but with 40 hp, paralyze, pain, and immunity to my transmuting powers, I'm not so sure.

CUf8sh.jpg

Oh, whip of pain. Yeah of course. But if I can just hit him one more time...

ee6Dah.jpg

Or not. And we're off to a great start.

Code:
537 Lech I the Ruffian (level 6, 0/48 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Transmuter on Feb 28, 2011.
             Slain by Grinder
             ... wielding a +0,+0 whip of pain
              (1 damage)
             ... on Level 3 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:30:33 (3319 turns).
Note that Lech I had 5 hp when he took that hit, so obviously it was for more than 1 damage. But let's not split hairs. Dead is dead. I should have quaffed some potions or something, but whatever. Lech should have just missed less and sucked less. Let's not go blaming me for his mistakes.

Yeesh

Magister
99ljph.jpg

Now tremble as you behold Lech II, also a transmuter, also armed with a bitch slap. What a rough way to start. Is he destined to break the one game losing streak?

JqN3ah.jpg

Woe, some sort of pebble room. Haven't seen this before.

zERCfh.jpg

Yikes, having a tough time with this goblin. Will Lech II die to the fucking second monster he encounters?

a6HsMh.jpg

Yes, yes I believe he will.

Code:
20 Lech II the Ruffian (level 1, -1/14 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Transmuter on Mar 1, 2011.
             Slain by a goblin (4 damage)
             ... on Level 1 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:01:56 (159 turns).

I guess I shouldn't have tried to fight with a dagger since I didn't have any skill in it? I don't know, seemed like a sensible approach to me. Fuck unarmed.

Yeesh

Magister
BC8skh.jpg

Here stands mighty Lech III, ready to use his as yet undeveloped powers of transmutation to scour the dungeon and retrieve the orb.

hDqB2h.jpg

Not a promising start. Remember that transmuters begin with no useful powers and no weapons. But wait, Lech III can spit poison. Maybe that will help. Maybe not.

X7wnHh.jpg

Well it does. I'll have to remember that whole spitting thing. Seems kind of gross to me, but I shouldn't judge.

2oyifh.jpg

Oops, a cursed sword. That was dumb.

PtGNYh.jpg

Behold the alluring power of spittle.

q2QaRh.jpg

Well this is looking like a short one. Let's read a scroll.

h6n5Jh.jpg

Turns out it was identify. Hey! A ring of Wizardry! Oh but now Lech III is dead. Ah well. Ashes to ashes.

Code:
74 Lech III the Ruffian (level 2, -1/20 HPs)
             Slain by a jackal (2 damage)
             ... on Level 2 of the Dungeon.
			The game lasted 00:07:08 (1253 turns).

This was not an impressive showing. I'm still trying to move during encounters. Must stay planted, as planted as a plant. Or just suck less. Something like that.

Yeesh

Magister
cTq75h.jpg

And here's brave Lech IV. Oooo, 8 poison darts! What a wonderful way to start his adventure.

wR89Th.jpg

I don't know why bats are now called megabats, I think they just used to be giant bats? Anyway, they're annoying enough when you're regular speed, but for a naga they are a major pain in the ass. But I guess I'll just spit. This race must be popular in the south.

9Il06h.jpg

Level 2. So far, so not dead yet. So at this point I realize I can memorize Evaporate (the potion throwing spell) at level 2 and don't have to wait until level 3 like I thought. Oops, sorry Lech III. Live and learn, they say. Except the live part doesn't apply.

lqgd8h.jpg

Quite a mess for a humble level 2 character with no weapons. But memorizing that spell sure paid off.

EMOOVh.jpg

God fucking damn it. You know, not EVERY sword has to be cursed.

12c9yh.jpg

Well this doesn't look good.

Code:
55 Lech IV the Ruffian (level 2, 0/20 HPs)
             Slain by a hobgoblin (2 damage)
             The game lasted 00:09:02 (774 turns).
I am really bad at this. The sword was +0,-1 so it wasn't such a terrible hardship. So I guess Lech IV just sucked at combat. Missing his desperate last minute breath attach didn't help matters. But there's no time for tears. From now on, we'll play SMARTER, not HARDER.

But also HARDER.

Yeesh

Magister
qkBpAh.jpg

Lech V. I have a very good feeling about this one.

ST9WAh.jpg

Holy fucking shit. Does every fucking fight have to be life and death with these guys? Christ.

oUYe5h.jpg

Apparently yes, narrowly avoided being killed by a fucking rat to gain second level.

BbOcsh.jpg

Hello beautiful. (Turns out to be a +1 cloak. Better than nothing.)

jUeGoh.jpg

That poor guy's not going to be around for long. Haven't really come up with a plan for which god I'll be taking, but probably not this one.

Xh2tch.jpg

Well that's a fine how do you do. If I have trouble with hobogoblins, Terence will clean my clock. Hmmm.

kAvn3h.jpg

He completely ignores the potion attack for some reason, my breath misses, and now I'm just fucked.

eX6Fxh.jpg

One more chance to confuse him... Miscast. Sweet.

Rk18hh.jpg

Out of magic, out of options. Lech V is just level 2 for christ's sake. Time to melee til someone dies. I wonder who it's going to be...

xNzffh.jpg

Turns out it's Lech.

Code:
63 Lech V the Ruffian (level 2, 0/20 HPs)
             Slain by Terence
             ... wielding a -1,+1 orcish flail
              (2 damage)
             The game lasted 00:12:47 (1412 turns).
Terence was wearing a shiny scale mail, and I think it's safe to say he was immune to poison, as I actually got to spit at him many times during the fight and it never poisoned him. That's some pretty bad luck. Again, as a naga you really can't escape from anything. I'm not sure what I could have done there.

Well this is progressing more quickly than I would have thought! How wonderful. Five down, ninety five to go. I welcome suggestions and comments, especially as to classes other than transmuters. Or ignore me and I'll keep plodding along.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nagas are very hard for beginner characters. They own late game with insane hp and MR but early? You WILL die. Try some easy mode chars if you just want to win...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
What program are you using to take the screenshoots Yeesh? With FRAPS that annoying windows frame shouldn't appear.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Berekän said:
What program are you using to take the screenshoots Yeesh? With FRAPS that annoying windows frame shouldn't appear.

Yeah, I hope you're not using the print-screen method. Fraps or screenshot pilot if you want it to be free.

Yeesh

Magister
Malakal said:
Nagas are very hard for beginner characters. They own late game with insane hp and MR but early? You WILL die. Try some easy mode chars if you just want to win...
I tried the easy ones, although I'd love to hear thoughts on what's the single easiest combo in the post-armor nerf era, because after this I'll try that. But mainly I just suck anyway, so Naga are the ideal fit. Especially for 100 deaths.

Berekän said:
I was using some freeware, but now I'll use FRAPS since I remembered the full version thereof is free too by virtue of being PC software.

Black Bart Charley said:
It seem to me that you play a naga transmuter like a troll berserker.
Well I can't afford to blow potions on EVERY single gecko or hobgoblin I meet on level 1. I'm trying to fight one enemy at a time and hope for the best. I can't sneak by; I know naga stealth gets good, but early on it's just a little edge, not an advantage that can totally change your playing style.

Azael said:
Never played Naga, but how about trying a Poison Mage or Stalker?
Sure why not?

iejLB.png

Gentlemen... behold! Lech VI, the nascent venom mage. With Sting and our old friend spittle, anything that's not immune to poison is going to regret crossing our path.

se5BE.png

Indeed, the sting/spit combo has made short work of all enemies, and level two is quick in coming. But I should probably get some sort of weapon for backup...

R8G1G.png

Ooo, a large shield. That would provide great protection, and totally gimp our spellcasting. Alas.

b2wT6.png

Hmmm, poison resistant. Let's come back to that one.

AqyEP.png

Well for the love of christ. Cut me some slack here, will you? I've got 4 lousy MP.

4Tz5n.png

Having successfully ignored the gnolls, it's back to beating up kobolds for level 3. I choose dex. I'm going to start throwing darts. I memorize Mephitic Cloud, which could easily take care of said gnolls, except it's casting at "Fair", which is the game's way of telling Lech VI that he sucks. No revelation there.

RwRO3.png

A bunch of hippy butterflies and an altar of some healing god. Not Lech's cup of tea. Let's see what this magic robe's all about... +1 robe of magic resistance. Nothing to complain about.

hGGZh.png

This door looks suspicious...

AWwpL.png

...or not.

ySiQb.png

Oh dear. Trying to sneak by was not my best bet.

QGxWl.png

Wow it's a party.

IA9FP.png

That didn't go so well.

Code:
136 Lech VI the Stinger (level 3, -1/25 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Venom Mage on Mar 1, 2011.
             Slain by a hobgoblin
             ... wielding a +0,+0 club
              (4 damage)
             The game lasted 00:22:04 (1808 turns).

Well that didn't go great. Not sure how to handle getting into fortuitous battle position when everyone can outrun you, but in this case I think I should have tried to pull the enemies into a safer, single-file engagement. Also, Mephitic Cloud is a great spell that naga don't seem to have the aptitude to cast any time soon. Lech VI put his XP straight into spells, but fat lot of good it did him. Maybe we'll get luckier next time.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Merfolk Crusader is easy. Memorize freeze weapon at level 2 and berserker on level 3, use robes and polearms. Guaranteed lair at least. Worship Okawaru early and then switch to TSO.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
LOL, I wouldn't have tried sneaking by that with a spriggan.

I think you need to learn to abuse LOS more. Enemies you can't see practically don't exist in Crawl. You could have dragged off a single gnoll by pelting it with a rock and running back into a corridor. It'll wake the others but they'll just mill around like morons.

Yeah, yout want to be a berseker and suck at it. You need an amulet for that. Hehe.
My second attempt after the first one reached lvl2 and died on something while I was blindly mashing autoexplore and attack next enemy.

Learn Sticks to Snakes too. It helps.

IKbM5.jpg

Yeesh

Magister
Malakal said:
Merfolk Crusader is easy. Memorize freeze weapon at level 2 and berserker on level 3, use robes and polearms. Guaranteed lair at least. Worship Okawaru early and then switch to TSO.
Then that's what I'll do. But first, let's kill 100 naga.

2uQK9.png

Lech VII has entered the dungeon to avenge his slithering brethren with poisonous vapors.

BT5DB.png

Again, level 2 comes quickly and easily.

6wzoa.png

Bah, we'll try that on later.

axe9D.png

Again with the gnolls. Note that Lech VII was lucky to find a dagger of electricity.

Y3fs0.png

Poisoned, the gnoll fails to reach Lech VII, and level 3 is achieved. Dex again.

QiG8x.png

Turns out there were three more gnolls. I didn't think such packs happened on frigging level 1 of the dungeon...

LtVNW.png

The electric dagger helps, but the last gnoll was mostly undone by his compulsive need to pick up every item the other three gnolls had dropped, as opposed to smacking the shit out of Lech VII, who to be honest probably deserved it. So have fun tidying up in hell! And level 4 is achieved, with it a random boost to strength.

QBkOR.png

The second level starts off quietly enough... A ha, a book! Might it contain spells that will increase Lech VII's chance of making it out of here alive?

VzR9C.png

Wow, that's actually extremely useful. Now I'm nervous; such luck seldom goes unpunished.

Lech VII is on hold until I can figure out the following: Which spells should I memorize to capitalize on this newfound fortune?

Yeesh

Magister
:rpgcodex:
Now Lech VIII is a stalker. Let's see how he fares. Wow, stalkers start out with transmuter spells? I had no idea. Also I apparently forgot to take a screenshot of him starting out. Oh well.

F0b0R.png

A fight to the death with a hobgoblin earns Lech VIII level 2. I don't want any grief for meleeing. What the hell else can you do at level 1? No missile weapons (except that one dart) and no spells. Anyway, hopefully Lech VIII will survive this goblin too.

Ngewc.png

The giant cockroach passes away, and bequeaths Lech VIII level 3. I choose intelligence.

Rikp1.png

Dungeon level 2. The gecko thought he was a light sleeper, but Lech VIII is a real sneak. It says so right by his name.

lzYyI.png

Ok, this was just too fucking annoying. Stupid little goblin comes around the corner while Lech is fighting something else, strafe rapes him with darts, and then moves in for the kill. In the meanwhile, Lech misses nine thousand times in a row and richly earns his death.

Code:
102 Lech VIII the Sneak (level 3, 0/27 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Stalker on Mar 1, 2011.
             Slain by a goblin
             ... wielding a -1,+0 orcish dagger
              (3 damage)
             The game lasted 00:10:20 (1986 turns).

Let this be a lesson to all of you naga: I am not blowing fucking potions on goddamned goblins, for fuck sake. If you can't handle them with conventional weapons, you'd might as well give up and die. As Lech VIII so tragically did.

And let us never speak of this one again.

Damned Registrations

You might want to forget about completel scout level 1 and 2 before moving on then. You've got better odds of killing a couple ogres or gnolls to get to level 6 than you do of killing a couple dozen goblins. Spit will rape them. (Which you could have used on the goblin, fyi.)

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Oh, Nagas. You really are a masochist.

I could never get a Naga very far, myself. I mean, they are slower than almost anything else that is of any danger, and you can't just keep burning your scrolls/wands of teleportation to escape. I feel like finding spells of blinking/teleportation + teleport control is key - is it true? If so, Naga warpers seem like the safest option.

Globbi

Augur
I tried playing DCSS and played nagas a bit, they are not so bad I think. Never got too far but with characters above level 10 I always died from stupid errors or not enough knowledge on the game. There was nothing really I couldn't kill or run away from when I later thought about what I did wrong. Still, my highest character was about level 18 so I'm not a specialist :P

I mostly tried wizard with frost, you just kill stuff with magic dart and throw frost + spitting and some darts/javelins at the beginning. Mephitic cloud is very important. Immunity to poison is great - safer mephitic cloud and more food. You have to take everything slow and often run (but with this low speed it's often impossible to run away if you try to do this one turn too late :P). Cold armor spell is quite good to always use before going down the stairs, with naga AC bonus and high health you can last quite long - ussualy enough to step back upstairs and start fighting with cloud. Later it depends on what spellbooks you find.

If you take the slow Che-something god it's quite interesting and difficult. You don't get spellbooks from god so some luck on spellbooks is unfortunately a must. You will have lots of piety but you HAVE TO train invocations quite a lot. For this you may turn off all skills sometimes and after each kill you will have exp to spend to train invocations with bend time. Later you can use step from time and translocation spells and it should be enough to escape anything.

If you get into some labyrinth as Che worshipper take off all the poderous armor (and remember to put them back on when near the minotaur :D) to not starve to death.

Generally, I hope to get my naga wizards further later but I got sick of this game for now. The first few levels are too frustrating and depend on luck too much. You can get killed by a small snake at level ~4 if you miss all your spells, then everything else and you are too slow to run away. It happened to me a lot more than once -.-

Zomg

Arbiter
I've never won with a Naga. I hate being slow early, when you have so few options nuking normal escapes too is terribad. They're strong late but it's not like any races with good starts can't hack late game. Venom mage is a pretty elite pick though, nothing is much better early game so it covers up some Naga suck. But getting the tools for midgame is a challenge. I think Chei is a pretty shitty pick because he's very little help early.

Easiest after armor buff? Playing armored style is probably not great for a first win, it really helps to be overprepared with all the buff spells (like deflect/flight/swift) on a caster or evasion tank. Melee also requires you to memorize a bunch of threat info. Maybe high elf ice elementalist or centaur arcane archer.

Yeesh

Magister
RFOpN.png

Lech IX, a fellow stalker, arrives next to earn some respect for his species by making it to the fucking temple at least. Wish him luck!

e7k1z.png

A sleeping gecko gives his life so Lech IX might earn level 2.

9p1Yp.png

A potion of confusion is a hazard to most, but it's ammo for Lech IX. Except that he casts Evaporate at 'Fair'.

LNa3T.png

So here's level 2. Fuck. Let's confuse her... nope, a miscast uses up both of Lech IX's magic points. Time to retreat.

5yIek.png

Materializing next to a hobgoblin, Lech IX outfights him to win a third level of experience. Again I choose Int.

i9swP.png

A spellbook and some weaksauce monsters come into view. It turns out to be a book of wizardry, which could be nice down the line if Lech IX lives to use it. (Fat frigging chance.)

tXdfX.png

Boy this level's dense. There's Jessica again. I'm going to step back.

5yrxV.png

That worked so well. Now I guess I'll step back again.

isBDV.png

Quit following me, bitch! Why the ladies always gotta be after my good luvin? Let's confuse her.

M3uOh.png

Nice. But let's see how this plays out. I'm mindful that even a lowly hobgoblin can kill a naga.

eBxNs.png

Well I could not be more pleased. Nice work, Lech IX.

oIAv8.png

A rat interrupts Lech IX's sexy worm rape party, and becomes the catalyst that propels him to level 4. Str increases of its own accord.

hc5oG.png

Some gnolls are a welcoming committee for the third dungeon level.

acI5h.png

As you can see, my attempt to find a better approach and lure just one works excellently.

arIzI.png

Several applications of silly gas eventually rectify the situation, and a suicidal gnoll decapitates himself to grant Lech IX the gift of an experience level. We are in your debt, sir.

Rhgo7.png

And what do we have here? (+1 gloves of Better Than Nothing)

NfSWc.png

At this point, I consider having Lech IX worship the cardy god. Because that would almost count as reaching the temple, which was his mandate. But I decide against it.

QSWBx.png

Down on dungeon level 4, Lech finally gets his fucking spellcasting up to 2. TWO. It's hard because there aren't any resource-free victory dance spells in his arsenal. But he'll prevail, oh yes. Lech IX is no quitter.

DYc9c.png

A hound falls beneath Lech's mighty wuss blade, and our naga hero reaches level 6. I choose Int again.

qijUi.png

Lech revels in his triple kill. Haven't actually found any tough monsters yet. I'm sure that will change soon.

GeeNC.png

Cheese it! An orc posse, and Lech is short on MP. Time for an expeditious retreat and an approach from another angle.

iqJuU.png

Eventually the orcs go down, at a high cost in potions. They offset the expense somewhat with their corpses.

sTcTE.png

Lech IX has found exactly two pieces of jewelry, and they are duplicate rings. I guess we'd might as well start trying things on. I like to have a cursed item on before I ID scrolls. Let's see... The scroll ID session isn't particularly profitable. I burn either a scroll of enchant armor or recharge by doing it wrong. Get in the game, Yeesh. The rings both turn out to be protection from cold, so Lech is now 2/3 protected from cold. That and a dollar won't get him a cup of coffee these days. He slithers on.

5LMEB.png

Scorch-marked granite statues? I don't think I've seen those before. Some sort of warning?

odfId.png

No, it's the temple! How delightful. Lech IX, you've succeeded where so many of your loser brothers have failed. Now you have to pick a god.

Who's a great god for a naga like Lech IX? As a transmuty type, he does have some need for corpses. Hmmmmm. I probably should have planned this out already.

Damned Registrations

Chei's stat boosts will make your blade hands swiss cheese a dragon, or so I hear. On the other hand, fuck meleeing anything in crawl. Might as well transmute your hands into gangrene. Chei is still nice just for slouch ownage though, and transmuters can turn into faster forms without pissing Chei off.

Other than that... spell gods would kind of suck I'd imagine since you aren't exatly the awesomest caster ever, Trog is right out, as are the necro gods or oka. Elly just plain sucks. I suppose either the demon god or one of the spell gods if it's not Chei.

Zomg

Arbiter
Oka might actually be pretty helpful in 0.8, Heroism gives you +5 unarmed which is as good as a +5 slating bonus and 1 point faster unarmed attacks. Also pretty likely to give you a nice branded barding you might never get otherwise.

Edit - slating bonus? more like slaking bonus

Yeesh

Magister
Well let's get this show on the road. Lech IX isn't going to kill himself. I mean, not without assistance.

44DD2.png

The two gods I find the most tempting. Since I haven't tried Cheibriados yet, I give him a shot, despite being utterly pissed that I won't get full bonuses. But I've read that nagas get the most powerful Slouch, so that's something. Plus piety should rack up pretty quick and no corpses will be needed. On the other hand, I've also read that Slouch does not affect monsters who are unaware of you, which means it's a poor opener for a stealthy gentleman. Whatever, we'll just see. Maybe I can get a mutation that lets me wear boots. What? That's impossible? Lazy programmers.

I leave a bunch of stuff in the temple, including the book of wizardry. One wonderful feature of Crawl is its robust item searching feature, which will let me check potential casting success rates of the spells even though the book isn't in inventory. One crappy thing about the book of wizardry is that the spells all use schools I have no way to train atm. Ah well.

UZpkc.png

Wonderful, a distillery. Great for IDing some potions without drinking them, although transumters do get to do that with some potions anyway. But then Lech IX is not a transmuter, let's not forget. He's a stalker.

RCWr9.png

A centaur. Don't you just hate those? Very fortunate that he's appeared when I'm right near a corner.

H5Rwq.png

Sigh. This isn't going well at all. I was trying to ID that dagger, but I don't think it's worth switching and missing a turn.

U3MrG.png

Yeah, Lech IX dies. Meleed from nearly full health by a centaur. I don't even understand how that's possible, actually. Obviously my frustration and willingness to just keep hitting the button because fuck this stupid annoying goddamned shit you've got to be kidding me was paramount, but even so. How can a character with some skill in fighting and some skill in the weapon he's wielding swing 30 times at a creature that's not known for melee prowess or staying power and still manage to die? A lone centaur from up close? That was supposed to be a threat I took seriously and used consumables on?

Code:
561 Lech IX the Sneak (level 6, -2/49 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Stalker on Mar 1, 2011.
             Was an Initiate of Cheibriados.
             Slain by a centaur (5 damage)
             ... on Level 5 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 01:08:10 (3745 turns).

I think getting through 100 naga is going to be pretty easy.

Zomg

Arbiter
Daggers are for homos unless you are setting up every single enemy for a stab. Base damage of 4 is horrendous. Even sabres (7 base) are useless as non-stabbing weapons pretty early. If you are doing damage with non-stab, non-unarmed melee you need to get into the war axe - scimitar - morningstar - trident tier as fast as possible.

Try an ice elementalist, excellent combo of powerful early game with freeze, throw frost and some icicle to powerful midgame with icicle and bolt of cold. Earth elementalist is also strong early-mid in 0.8 now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom