Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Strangeland - new adventure game from Wormwood Studios

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by MRY, Mar 19, 2018.

1. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    people are reading hentai for the characters? I mean, to each his own, but still

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.gamedeveloper.com/desig...mes-a-q-a-with-i-strangeland-i-s-mark-yohalem

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Oh hey, that finally got published! I actually think the more games-oriented interviews I did with Jeff Klaehn (ironically published in academic journals rather than game sites) are more relevant to this forum, but catch as catch can. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    You are so unlikable, it's astounding.

• Funny x 5
    • retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Can you drop the DOIs or, even better, journal links?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darkozric Learned

Darkozric
    One of the funny things about MRY is that they spit on him and he thinks it's raining :lol:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    there's one here: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/12/catching-up-with-primordia-dev.html
    And one publication there: https://www.academia.edu/49264724/Making_digital_adventure_games_a_conversation_with_Mark_Yohalem

But I don't know if it's the same or not (could not access the one on academia.edu)

edit:
    another on boingboing: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/20/talking-adventure-games-with-m.html (this one had screens from Fallen Gods I don't remember seeing before)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Yeah, I think that's all of them.

^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Finally played this game. The art is impressive, I didn't know you could make such a primitive engine like AGS do half of the stuff done here. However, the main thing is known territory, I've seen stuff like this several times already, and I dealt with depression personally as well. I couldn't connect much with the MC because there's literally very little to connect to. The villain is also more annoying than threatening, which I suppose it comes with the blatant self-loathing imagery everywhere.

Shame it's so short. It's no Primordia 2, but it's worth one play.

I'll see if my opinion changes with a second playthrough with the commentaries and annotations activated.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Even if your opinions changed, I’m not sure that would change whether the game worked *as a game* — the commentary experience is something different.

Strangeland definitively isn’t (and wasn’t meant to be) Primordia 2. If anything, I’m pleasantly surprised it has connected with as many people as it has.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. OndrejSc Undergarment Patron

OndrejSc
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Strangleland

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Well, the 2nd play-through is done with, and with that, I uninstalled the game as I saw everything it has to offer, it's quite short indeed. First things first, some comments about what could be bugs, or odd design decisions.

• Steam Overlay doesn't seem to work well in Fullscreen mode, as I move the mouse but only the ingame one registers, it only works in Windowed mode for me. Also, the Windowed mode is quite a bit too small and you can't readjust it.
    • The game doesn't like Alt-Tabbing at all, seeing it froze when I tried to do so just to see what happens.
    • Perhaps it's intentional, but the clown refuses to tell over the jokes if you heard them all in a previous play and you start a new game.
    • It would be good to have a "continue" button on the main screen to automatically load your latest save, but it's a minor nitpick.
    • The Pandora box thing seems to be bugged, as the game reacted as if I had opened it and had that phone ring when I had it chilling in my inventory, ignoring it.
    • While meeting the three guys at the Deadland, the game didn't load the final set of dialogues, but instead got frozen. Thankfully a reset solved it.
    • If you click on the Annotation and Commentary mode to see what they do in the Options menu and then uncheck them, the game still has the devs presenting themselves as if you had enabled these modes, but only once. I couldn't have that sequence trigger again.
    The commentary was quite interesting, much more than the main game IMO, and it confirmed things I suspected that were happening, as well as some interesting trivia and stuff from the devs. While it has stuff from the lately overused viking myths, thankfully they're a bit more subtle than usual. The game reminded me of Silent Hill 2 a lot, that's for sure.
    As for the commentaries themselves, it's a good thing that you can read the text instead of having to hear the voices, as some of the devs are quite rant-happy and talk a lot. Some of the stories mentioned were waay more depressing than the game itself, kek, like the origin behind the "What bottom?" line.
    The music was "eh" for me, it seemed to be random noise at times, and that's pretty much it, actually. That means there aren't many good music tracks that can be listened to later out of the game though.

Also, I haven't been checking adventure games lately, but this one has to be one of the most graphically impressive of that ancient engine. I installed Primordia again for a playthrough later on and boy, it is quite obvious which one is a more modern and with better tech behind game.

In any case, a good game. It even has a similar ending situation compared to Primordia, but sadly no special endings based on your choices and actions ingame.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I dunno if they have been mentioned, but there are many, many works with cancer as the main topic in one way or another, including games. Two examples you probably haven't heard of are these two (spoilers, so beware):

A kid with cancer has fantastical adventures with his mom. Done in RPGMaker, an adventure game with a sad but expected outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_(video_game)

Now we're talking. A very, VERY, very bizarre game, also in RPGMaker, predating Undertale and other weird shit, and arguably better in some aspects. You play as the BBatter, whose mission is to purify all of the Zones/levels of the game.

Show Spoiler

It's never fully explained in the game, but it's heavily implied the Batter is an experimental medecine to combat cancer, purging everything on its path to do so no matter what, with the consequences this would carry. So you're the bad guy in this one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Played it today, took me about 3 hours. While I would have preferred a (much) higher puzzles to text ratio, what is there was quite enjoyable. That's not to say that the story/writing was a drag - although I could have done without the phone calls (I hate them enough in real life) and clown jokes (but I guess that one is on me for dying so much). Just wished there were more things to do.

^ Top  
  15. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Glad you enjoyed it! I think I share your preferences but most players have said it’s a high puzzle density. At some point adventure gamers became very story focused.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.