Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Strangeland - new adventure game from Wormwood Studios

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
https://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/strangeland/

https://af.gog.com/game/strangeland?as=1649904300

So, it feels quite weird posting about two games in development -- since a fundamental law of warfare is never to divide your forces in view of the enemy -- but anyway, here is Strangeland:

http://www.wormwoodstudios.com/2018/03/announcing-strangeland.html

The obvious question is whether it will delay Fallen Gods; I think the answer is no. Any delay has already happened, and in any event, I don't really work linearly; Strangeland time would've been Freecell or Hex Empire screw-around time rather than Fallen Gods hard-work time, since it was developed amidst procrastination.

I think it's reasonable to assume we'll finish it by the end of the year. The immediate inspiration for me was the death of my grandfather, almost immediately after the death of my grandmother (whom he'd been caring for in her late-stage dementia), though I wouldn't say that the game is really about that. As you can see, Vic has gotten even more amazing as an artist, which is good, as I suspect my talents have faded in proportion since Primordia.

--EDIT--

Now with Steam page:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
So who is Wormwood exactly? Is it Victor? Is it you? You and Vic? That scary face is too scare for me, so I can't play it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The cover art is bretty guud I have to say.

Coverart.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wow, this looks surprisingly interesting, Mark. I will buy. You won me over with Primordia, and this looks really special.

The artwork and design alone looks fantastic and fresh.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bet the game ends up fantastic, but that trailer is no good. It wins over fans of your previous work but does nothing to expand your audience. A random passerby would have no idea what kind of game it is and you end up with diminishing returns.

Anyway, as a Codexer, I felt it important to talk shit.

:terrorist:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So who is Wormwood exactly? Is it Victor? Is it you? You and Vic?
It's like the Wu-Tang Clan. The original members are me, Vic, and James -- we released Primordia. Then James released Until I Have You. Then I've been developing Fallen Gods, mostly with a different crew (although Vic did UI work and is doing item graphics). Then the three of us got together gain for Strangeland.

LeStryfe79 Who knows? I'm not a marketer. I'm not sure another point-and-click adventure, smaller than Primordia and still featuring puzzles and an inventory, released after the indie boom, would ever reach a larger audience than Primordia. Fallen Gods might expand our audience, though perhaps it'll just lose audience. :)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The funny thing is that Vic still has a sore spot from not being allowed to have an illegible, graffiti-tag style "Primordia" for that cover, and yet without my pleading used a legible font for Strangeland. Now you are going to create a 100% likelihood this cover will now be changed to something unreadable. Thanks, team. :D

Also, Victor Pflug, get here and collect some cheers. :)

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Primordia was one of the best gaming experience I had these last years, may Strangeland be just as fascinating and hopefully even better. :salute:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks! I suspect that Primordia had a novelty to it that will be hard to replicate -- not so much that its ideas were startlingly original, but Vic's art has a particular look and my writing has a particular style, and I'd guess like anything else they wear out their novelty. Still, I think visually at least it's going to be an upgrade over Primordia. Not so sure about story/design, and it's certainly shorter.

Also, we got nice coverage on RPS. I was pleasantly surprised, since they missed Fallen Gods and didn't like Primordia.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes.

EDIT: I realize that was a little cryptic; to some degree there might be animation shortcomings, but the protagonist is meant to be pretty downtrodden and lost.

Last edited:

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
What a beautiful art. But the main character's stance seems kinda weird, like he is emotionless, is it intentional?

You could say he's in a kind of stupor - strait jackets (like he's donning) are restrictive even when undone, that said - there are things in this trailer that are due another polish before we demo gameplay ;)

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The funny thing is that Vic still has a sore spot from not being allowed to have an illegible, graffiti-tag style "Primordia" for that cover, and yet without my pleading used a legible font for Strangeland. Now you are going to create a 100% likelihood this cover will now be changed to something unreadable. Thanks, team. :D

Also, Victor Pflug, get here and collect some cheers. :)

Hahaha noooo - I'm totally over the logo for Primordia - the one we went with has grown on me now.

Yes, give me those sweeet props.

Or maybe wait till you play it. :D

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Victor's design aesthetic is just so damn good. The art draws you in, in almost an uncomfortable way that intrigues me. I'm interested to see where this one goes, thematically - it sounds very compelling. I love the trailer - and I totally get the Twin Peaks font choice for the poster. I dig it. A good typeface can really set the tone for something, and I like a good, stoic Sans Serif font used properly.

Very excited for this one!

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Different folks at the same site. Nice of them to give us a little coverage all the same, though it’s interesting that almost no one seems to click through from their sites to our post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom