Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Strangeland - new adventure game from Wormwood Studios

Viata

Arcane

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is that true? I can understand not being a working lawyer in another country, but not even in another state? Fuck america.
I can't speak for law specifically (the state bar exam), but many states have reciprocity agreements wherein the professional accreditation (i.e. passing the bar exam) in State A will be recognized by State B. It isn't universal, but I believe this exists for the majority of the states in the US.

For those who do not live here, I think a decent mental model for the US is that the federal government is like a more powerful European Union, and each state is like a member-state in the EU. I expect MRY will bristle at this comparison because of federal supremacy, but *in general* each state regulates professional, environmental, legal etc spheres independent of other states. Our federal system just means those state laws can't violate federal statutes.

That doesn't mean though that states can't form multi-state compacts, this is how reciprocity agreements work.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Ha, I appreciate the concern and kind thoughts but I’m happy where I am, and game development is just a fun diversion rather than an income stream. It helped pay tuition when I was in law school and the bills when I was a government worker, but now I just plow what I make back into FG, like a very slow perpetual wheel of pain motion machine.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ha, I appreciate the concern and kind thoughts but I’m happy where I am, and game development is just a fun diversion rather than an income stream. It helped pay tuition when I was in law school and the bills when I was a government worker, but now I just plow what I make back into FG, like a very slow perpetual wheel of pain motion machine.

When is Fallen Gods release?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That’s a good question! Unfortunately it depends on unpredictable factors like how much free time I have, whether teammates reappear, etc.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you're a native French speaker interested in testing the French translation of Strangeland, could you shoot me a message? Thanks!
Not sure if bataille is still active, nor if she's interested. But she's native FR I believe.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If you're a native French speaker interested in testing the French translation of Strangeland, could you shoot me a message? Thanks!

... Fallen Gods, when? (
FG is going through an alpha test now -- so far, people seem to enjoy it. Still lots to be done, but I think we may have succeeded in making a viable game.

Meanwhile, Strangeland's next batch of translations -- French, Korean, and Japanese -- should be done soon. Hoping to push the French translation out by the Steam Summer Sale. Not sure for the others.

And while I popped in to talk about Obra Dinn, also played this! Very good time even though it didn't reach the heights of Primordia for me, but few adventure games do. Had a slight concern that the puzzles would be irritating since adventure game puzzles can already get fucky and put one in a nightmare and you're just asking for trouble but everything had fine alien logic. As an odd comparison I'm currently playing the first Blackwell game and even though that's lighter on the puzzles it's still had a few odd cases of me wandering around with my thumb up my ass until I go BACK to an area and then suddenly things are different and I can advance, Strangeland never hit me with clunkiness.

One mild spoilery comment though:
When I was maybe halfway through the game, after I'd let the dark thing out, I had a brain wave in the shower. I thought GOD DAMN IT COW I BET YOU COULD'VE GOTTEN THROUGH EVERYTHING WITHOUT LETTING THE DARK THING OUT and I started thinking about the solutions to the earlier puzzles and ways to do them in a particular sequence to avoid letting the dark thing out, all of this hinging on melting down the coins (At this point I forget if it was for the first knife or the claw) for one of the tools. Cut to me booting up the game and loading an old save only to find you can't use your infinite pile of quarters as a source of metal for a tool. Sort of a positive comment since the game was in my head enough I was trying to piece together if I could get through everything without using the bar from the dark thing's cage even if it didn't work out that way in the end.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks! You can’t complete sequence break the game (for obvious reasons), but you can significant mess with the order.

Like, without bothering with a work order or the coins, you can get all the way to the Masquettes. Or you can jump from the top before opening the cage and get the broken branch in Act 1.

It’s reasonably non-linear, but each act ultimately has a choke point, since otherwise we would’ve need much more plot variation.

Beastro

Arcane
At some point Vic is just going to make a Primordia sequel without me. :)

Mark thinks he's done with Primordia - that's a funny joke. :D

There won't be a Primordia sequel without him though. We're like Cheech and Chong on point and clicks - and Dualnames is the weed lol...
Please no sequel. It doesn't need one and is a perfectly wrapped up story with it's bittersweet ending. Having anything go beyond that ending will damage the first game.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
maybe not a sequel in the sense of continuing the story, but maybe a variation on the same theme, featuring different characters and locations

but yeah, a direct followup would seem a bad idea

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom