Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Posse Showdown - Urban Isometric Tactical RPG - Out on Steam Early Access

Duckard

Augur
Did you forget to use the the X and Y buttons or their keybinds to maximize and minimize points in the Personal Strengths section of the character creation?
There is no need to just use the left and right arrow to increase and decrease the points.
I believed it is stated very obviously on the screen itself.

Okay cool. I wasn't paying attention properly.

My suggestion if you want to make the game more accessible :hearnoevil: to people like me: word it as "Maximize attribute" or "Minimize attribute" and give keyboard key prompts instead of gamepad button prompts if someone is using a keyboard. Obviously mouse support would be fantastic, but that's probably a lot harder to implement.

Any chance of an option to disable idle animations? One of my pet peeves with tactical srpgs/jrpgs as I find it really distracting.

It was suggested to FG in some workshop thread here that he should exploit the idle animations to their full potential, but seems he hasn't been convinced yet.

Will try the demo at some point.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I may be confusing you with someone else, but wasn't this game made just so you could make a solid combat system for your turn-based Fantasy RPG FuriousGamer87 ?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I may be confusing you with someone else, but wasn't this game made just so you could make a solid combat system for your turn-based Fantasy RPG FuriousGamer87 ?

I think you got the wrong person but I do remember having a lot of projects archived.

Previous projects:
  • Occult Mystery (archived because I realized I cannot draw humans very well and RPGMaker assets aren't going to cut it)(mystery/investigation/demonic)
  • CandyLand Saga (released)(very short SRPG using RPGmaker assets)(preachy/heroic)
  • Space Lions Squadron (archived because I gain a huge interest in making an isometric SRPG instead of a orthogonal one)(sci-fi/zany/space ships every day)
  • Gangster Tactics (archived after interested in doing 4th DnD SRPG)(urban/gritty/race-based/2deep4u)
  • Super Nuclear Riders (released)(short SRPG)(comedic/insane/sentai)
  • Adventurer's Life (archived because I can't draw for shit (still can't draw for shit) and there is simply too much art assets to do)(fantasy/medieval/JA-based hiring system)
  • Rivya Rebellion (archived due to audiobro being too talented and being acknowledged as such and he too embarrassed to tell me he's too busy to commit to the project until after months of delay.) (satire/modern/terrorism)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Occult Mystery (archived because I realized I cannot draw humans very well and RPGMaker assets aren't going to cut it)(mystery/investigation/demonic)
Space Lions Squadron (archived because I gain a huge interest in making an isometric SRPG instead of a orthogonal one)(sci-fi/zany/space ships every day)

Either of these would be awesome :bounce: (as long as they are turn based).

Alright, just updated the demo to with several changes
  • Ability to see which character is the current character on player characters turn via a rotating green diamond (inspired by the Sims).
  • Ability to use X or its keybind to toggle group check which highlight the which characters are the players, enemies or allies. Auto on movement and targeting. Can be toggle off by pressing X or its keybind.
  • Censorship is removed.
  • Audiobro is dragged to do quite some editing on the game text.
and some other minor cosmetic stuff.

Alright that's about it for now.
Couldn't have done it without all the feedback.

A gif to demonstrate the first and second change.
KiClA4F.gif

And another update to the demo to fix several small bugs that apparently nobody but me noticed.

Also add an option to skip character creation for players who just want to get into the action.
Working on a trailer now.
Apparently, we are going on crowdfunding in the near future. Hopefully it will work out.

52VJcRc.png

Finished some stuff. Here are the highlights:
  • Upgraded the AI schematics to allow AI to take account of elemental advantages and affinity. In this new setup, the AI will compute all possible flow of actions of a single turn while taking account of its personality, AI type, movement focus, action type favoritism, target priority, tag team and elemental knowledge to calculate the final value of each flow. After all is calculated within nanoseconds, thanks to all the necessary variables are already inside data tables beforehand, the AI will always choose the flow of actions with the highest value and enact it.
  • Change the existing initiative system which is "roll every character's initiative at the start of each battle" to a new one which is "roll every character's initiative at the start of each round in battle". This make agility boosting and lowering techniques significantly useful in battle for adjusting turns, since initiative is calculated based on agility + initiative dices.
  • Trailer is still being worked on by audiobro. He's taking his sweet time doing the sfx. The visuals for it are done.
  • Removed unsupported Linux and Mac build of the demo after being unavailable to troubleshoot some issue that people have with them.
  • New demo uploaded with the top two features added to it.
  • Working on making chapter 1 visual assets. It's a pain in the ass.
  • Finished the design for a new character class called Outcast. Specialized in attacks with nasty special effects attached, specially the type that screws both enemies and allies.

ddLB9lY.gif

An unhinged person that nobody want to be caught associating with. The strong BO doesn't help either.

Norfleet

Are characters always forced to move at their designated time, or can they delay their actions for a more advantageous moment within the round or to sync with a teammate?

Are characters always forced to move at their designated time, or can they delay their actions for a more advantageous moment within the round or to sync with a teammate?

The first one is correct. For the second one to happen, you need to to use agility lowering or boosting techniques to somehow adjust one or more of the characters' turn in a round.

The idea for this approach is to force players to adapt on the fly to the current arrangement of player, ally and enemy turn order in that round and create an ad hoc tactic based on it. Which is hopefully different every time while also based on the player situation and his/hers objectives for that round.

While it is pretty nice to always able to delay to able to sync with all the characters, I find in HoMM and King's Bountry series that this create a problem of people using a lot of their gameplay time just to ensure all their characters turn are in place to blitz through the battle. Which is great in execution but after a while, it gets boring since it create a somewhat "best tactic" to be used all the time in most battles, especially at the start of each battle.

Beastro

Arcane
I take it by the way people's eyes are black dots and their mouths are oddly hinged that this is set in Canada.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Does the plot revolve around a genocide by farts?

Also, could you reduce the idle animations? Its painful to watch them doing some kind of stepdance even in those small snippets. It will be unbearable to watch them doing that for hours on end.

Game looks interesting though. Kinda reminds me of some old shovelware called "crime fighter", where you had to set up a gang, equip them, and rob old grannys with shotguns in the park.

After extensive testing of one battle:

- It could use some way to visually differentiate between friends and enemies (besides mouseover). Now they both seem to use same sprites. And it's a mess after few turns when both teams have piled into one ball.
- I assigned some points to skills during character creation, but then when I got into game, the main character had completely different skill values. Not working as intended or did I miss some important instructions? (reading is hard)
- Writing comes across as bit... 'try-hard?' I like what it tries to be, but get some respectable shitposters or forum warriors to do some editing on it.

possibly even less useful:
- I don't like gamepad control schemes.
- I like said control scheme even less with keyboard.
- I think I probably don't like console games that much.

- It could use some way to visually differentiate between friends and enemies (besides mouseover). Now they both seem to use same sprites. And it's a mess after few turns when both teams have piled into one ball.

?. If you play the current demo, it should be pretty easy to differentiate enemies and allies, especially since it is done automatically for movement and targeting. Gif below is related.
KiClA4F.gif

- I assigned some points to skills during character creation, but then when I got into game, the main character had completely different skill values. Not working as intended or did I miss some important instructions? (reading is hard)

One of the functionality in the game is that there are three main version of stats; core stats, personal strengths and derived stats.

Core stats are usually the base stats of the class the character is using plus certain item bonuses.

Personal strengths are usually additional bonuses on top of the core stats. That's the one you are modifying in the character creation. These are calculated differently than core stats.

Both of the above are used together with the personality, traits and level of the character to calculate the final derived stats, which is primarily shown in the game and used to calculate all other stuff in the game.

You can find that the game already mentioned this in the Derived Stats section in the Event Reports Guide Basic part.

hA289cp.png

:d1p:

Full release when?

When I finished the game development and play it through at least four times. Estimated release date is around the later part of next year half. May changed due to laziness, audiobro escapades, XCOM 2 release or other shenanigans.

Alright, time for Mid December Update.
  • New Dialogue Font
Changed the old dialogue font, which is 04b03 to PF Tempesta Seven Compressed. Should make the long ass dialogues in the game more readable. Changed the dimension of all dialogue boxes to compensate for the increased size of the font.
Gf50U9R.png

Old

Y4QtQXY.png

New
  • Dialogue Choices Get Scrolling Functionality
Dialogue choices now use the same scrolling functionality that all lists in the game used. About time. This also enable me to use give, theoretically unlimited choices as there is no limit in space.
p4RjIcP.gif
  • New classes
Finished the creation of Dealer and Merchant classes. Dealers are extremely strong when they are packed with items that they can exploit and most of their techniques revolved around item usage. Merchants are very proficient buffers and debuffers that use the power of greed to influence both enemies and allies in amusing ways.

VM3oKYe.gif
eqsm4Tl.gif

• New districts
Finished three new districts, Maple Tree, Oaksville Central and Truman Hill. Each of these district have their own unique locations and things to offer to the player.
b0zvRsB.png

Oaksville Central - The decaying heart of the city.
  • Chapter 1 still being worked on
Finished characterization of the several early important NPCs. Finished creating the early antagonist and his rag-tag gang. Still working on finishing the chapter 1 storyline and resolving the mission paths.

• Trailer ......... umm audio still in progress
As stated in the title, nothing else to add.

Again, for the top two features, an updated demo is already uploaded with those two features in place for demonstration. You can download the demo through the link in the first post of this thread.

Severian Silk

LOL I was waiting for the stuff in one of your animations to continue. Forgot it was a GIF.

?. If you play the current demo, it should be pretty easy to differentiate enemies and allies, especially since it is done automatically for movement and targeting. Gif below is related.
KiClA4F.gif
That looks better. Apparently I played an older version. I had downloaded it some time before I played it.

I planned to do a update a bit later than this but finally the trailer has been completed.
So, without further delay, since the game have past the alpha stage a while back, I have put the game on Steam Greenlight.
If you like what you seen so far, please take the time to vote for it. Thanks in advance.

Steam Greenlight Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580179398

To celebrate the completion of the trailer, I have also pushed forward an updated demo, which features:
  • Instead of just skin color selection during randomization of generic characters, I have implemented hair color selection too, instead of just everyone having brown hair.
  • During character creation, the player options are increased by a great deal in selecting appearance due to me unloading every character assets that I have created so far into the demo.
  • Game load instantly instead of having a loading bar during the start of the game. That was because I am preloading the audio assets beforehand. That is stupid and unneeded since the audio assets are right there with the game, not half a world with high ping away. Changed the setup to streaming, as it should originally be.
  • Some small fixes and improvements.

Currently, the game development will be on hold for a short while so I can make an effort for my game to clear Steam Greenlight.
This is will be hard since turn based tactics game is pretty niche and the pixel art graphics isn't improving my chances either.

It has been a while since I posted an update.
There are a lot of things changed and improved since the last update.
You can experience it yourself by downloading the updated demo from the first post.
Chapter 1 still haven't finished yet due to previous development efforts were shifted to the changes shown in this update.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

FF9JAHA.png

D2tUc8Z.png

DJocVps.png

aiyYuMA.png

A9cVEF0.png

pIwyvJF.png

eylj8rc.png

OwFIYd5.png

Feel pretty nice to be greenlighted this fast. Now I can focus on just finishing the game development.

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks p. good. Hopefully player housing and romances make it into the game.

On a serious note, ill get it on release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom