Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Streeto Fighta V: Vicious Vengeance Vodeville

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
(for example, it's not unusual to try to EX fireball after blockstun and have a V-reversal come out).

Not that the input buffer isn't retarded, but if you actually used 2 punch buttons, instead of a retarded macro, then this problem would go away immediately.

edit: in fact that sounds way more like an input error than an input buffer problem.

(for example, it's not unusual to try to EX fireball after blockstun and have a V-reversal come out).

Not that the input buffer isn't retarded, but if you actually used 2 punch buttons, instead of a retarded macro, then this problem would go away immediately.

edit: in fact that sounds way more like an input error than an input buffer problem.
It's cute that you assume what input method I use - I use arcade sticks exclusively and I plink my buttons. I've never used any macros ever - I used to play these games at the arcade.

edit: for sure it's input error and it's my fault, I'm not disputing that - but that error would not occur if the buffer window weren't so wide. I'm used to playing more responsive games.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i like how DakaSha II DakaSha V thinks DBZ fighter will "have no input delay besides the online connection". He doesn't seem to understand how latency works, or what it is, and it's so cute!

"will have no input delay" :D

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected

It's cute that you assume what input method I use - I use arcade sticks exclusively and I plink my buttons. I've never used any macros ever - I used to play these games at the arcade.

edit: for sure it's input error and it's my fault, I'm not disputing that - but that error would not occur if the buffer window weren't so wide. I'm used to playing more responsive games.

Ive never heard of plinking causing this behavior. For the input buffer to be the issue, you would still be required to press the 3 punch buttons at some point, when you only need to press 2. I dont see how plinking affects that. There really isnt any reason to plink anyways. (but i assume its a habit from earlier games).

And almost every arcade stick has 2 extra macro buttons. It isn't unreasonable to assume you would be using them, given the issue you supposedly have.

But im not arguing the essence of your post. The input buffer/negative edge is utterly retarded, and i feel it got even worse with AE. Its almost impossible for me to do something like st Hp -> Knee press with bison, since the knee press becomes psycho blast for instance.

edit: also the classic dash up fireball is incredibly difficult to get instead of dash up, lifebar destroying, round ending dp. This has always been an issue but its extreme here.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
holy shit I'm so fucking sick of, as a rookie, being matched against super bronze players who are 400-500 thousand ranks ahead of me and have +1200 LP.

I know u all say get good or whatever but it'd be nice to be matched against someone near my skill level every now and then.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
holy shit I'm so fucking sick of, as a rookie, being matched against super bronze players who are 400-500 thousand ranks ahead of me and have +1200 LP.

I know u all say get good or whatever but it'd be nice to be matched against someone near my skill level every now and then.
If there is nobody near your skill level within decent connection range, the only answer is git gud (or rather git better than gutter trash)

You've only been playing for a few days. It's gonna take much longer than that to get noticibly better, unless you have above average talent.

The game can't magically summon other players who are equally as bad as you out of thin air.

It's going to be annoying, but you may as well get used to it. I'm gold and switched characters, so I'm effectively in your situation since I'm matched with golds who arnt using a new character. Too bad. I have to deal with it, and so do you

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Keep in mind that this issue is more pronounced in a fighting game than most other genres. You may think you're getting matched better in an fps or moba, but that's only because the team based nature of the games mask your ineptitude and obvious superiority of neckbeard no life uebermenschen on the other team.

Edit: well and they have more players, but the point still stands

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the first combo in this video is one of Ryu's best new ones:

ex-Donkey Kick xx Axe Kick xx ex-Fireball xx V-Trigger 1 + Fwd. Dash xx HP.SRK / ex-SRK

Ryu is still bottom-tier though, still one of the worst characters in SF 5.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i just dropped 30 bucks on season pass 3... ouch. Mainly for Cody though I am interested to see how Falke will play.

Colour Spray

Educated
He forgot to mention Infiltration using Juri to counter Rashid, who I imagine is a bit of a nightmare for Menat, FGC immediately starts to wonder if Juri is top-tier now.

I wasted my money on that pass too. Even if the latest blonde waifu doesn't pan out, you can always rely on Sagat for yer bald husbando.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DakaSha II DakaSha V Great Deceiver veealune pakoito Colour Spray TheHeroOfTime Dawkinsfan69 RoBoBOBR HeatEXTEND

i was rooting around my GDrive and found a video i recorded of the most perfect Ryu player I ever saw (in SF4):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxPgAqwbIfAVTE9oNmdZc0xuSUM4cTlHbVJxenh0aFhFR2NJ

...brings a tear to my eye to see such impeccable play, such masterful spacing and such easy knowledge of how to control the opponent.

unfortunately playing like this with Ryu is impossible in SF V, as we all know... the only character who can even approach this kind of perfect zoning and control is obviously SF V's guile, and even there... there are simply too many characters/options in SF V who can bypass "the neutral" altogether:

- characters like Rashid could simply eagle spike through any attempt at zoning or control of space.
- characters like Menat... well, you know what Menat can do.
- characters like Abigail or Urien who can simply utilize very fast horizontal-moving special moves with multiple hits of "armor".

etc.

Zoning as seen in the above video, i.e. "traditional street fighter shoto-play", is simply not possible in SF V, not truly.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I actually have no clue where that video is originally from... back when I was learning the ropes during 2009-2010 on SF4's release one of my early 'internet sensei' was someone who used the Steam handle "Timon", and he sent me that video in order to show me "proper Ryu play".

I doubt it's Air in the video, though, as the final win quote language/characters are Korean.

SFV has no fireball game - as you said, pretty much every character can bypass it using a braindead move. That's one of the reasons why Ryu is so shit. The other one is that he needs meter to do comparable damage to other characters' no-meter combos. Parry V trigger is a joke and the new mule kick is pretty bad, it's only good for V-cancel combo setups and even then it's unreliable in the corner.

I actually don't know how to close distance with Ryu in this game, anything outside MK range and he's fucked. That's the most un-Ryu shit ever.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I actually have no clue where that video is originally from... back when I was learning the ropes during 2009-2010 on SF4's release one of my early 'internet sensei' was someone who used the Steam handle "Timon", and he sent me that video in order to show me "proper Ryu play".

I doubt it's Air in the video, though, as the final win quote language/characters are Korean.

That's ERyu who got released circa 2011 and wolf Ryu is from one Ultra costumes pack from 2014. Timeline does not compute.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The only way to be a "good Ryu player" in SF V is to have almost unlimted patience and play an overwhelmengly defensive game which seeks to bait the opponent into making mistakes which your Ryu can then punish.

A small buff to his fireball game was given in AE Update, i.e. Season 3, however:

- (VT1 or VT2, either one) During either of his V-Triggers, Ryu Season 3's fireballs (Denjin Hadokens) are now two frames fasters than ever before, and the EX-versions are four frames faster than ever before.

During VT1/VT2, Ryu's denjin hadokens are 42 frames in total (previously they were 44), and if it is an EX-Denjin Hadoken it is 40.

They also increased the damage and stun done by Denjin Hadokens which actually means you can deal a fair amount of damage/stun with them now.

Long story short SF V Ryu can now zone during V-Trigger, and they actually hurt. During VT1/VT2 you can throw a Denjin Hadoken and always have enough time to Shoryuken a jump, even if it's not EX-version.

Outside of VT1/VT2 however the answer to good Ryu play? Play defensively, abuse his cross-up LK, rarely engage in neutral/footsies, and generally you will need to out-think, out-play and out-space your opponent in order to win.

He is not, however, the worst character in current SFV AE meta: that dubious honor goes to Zeku who has the same problems Ryu has except he has even less reach with his normals, even less damage-burst potential and and an even slower walk-speed and a less reliable Reversal option than Ryu.

Currently also 'below' Ryu in SFV AE meta:

- Zeku (as mentioned)
- Juri (some would say they're on the same tier though, and don't let Infil's use of Juri fool you into thinking she's good; people mostly simply don't know the Juri match-up + Infil is just that good)

According to japanese players (namely Itabashi, Nemo, Fuudo and Mago) they made a recent tier chart and placed in Ken in the same tier as Ryu, along with Alex and Juri.

The only character below Ryu/Ken/Alex/Juri? Zeku.

Zeku is really bad right now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Words are meaningless though, if you want to see how Ryu needs to be played in SFV look no further than the undisputed best Ryu that has been reigning online for months now.

Behold the only GRAND MASTER ranked Ryu player... JustFog:

Other notable Ryus are:

- OtaniRyu (Master Ranked)
- Sasaki (Master Ranked / Ultra Diamond: he goes up and down)

The best tournament competing SFV Ryu is Abao, who recently in EVO JAPAN 2018 defeated F.Champ:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, Abao's Ryu used Ryu's new VT2 parry extremely effectively against F.Champ... shit was fucking delicious.

All that said however, Abao still only placed 41st overall in EVO Japan 2018. Didn't even crack Top 32, and this is without a doubt the best tournament competing/playing Ryu player right now.

JustFog reigns as the #1 Ryu online, and is the only Ryu player with the Grand Master rank, but he doesn't go out to tournaments. Abao does, however, and when you watch him play you will see that he is clearly the world's best Tournament Competing Ryu player... indisputably so.

Abao is simply 100% rock-solid and is a wall of defense and he has a seemingless supply of patience. This man would probably be in every Top 8 of any tournament if he was using Akuma instead of Ryu...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom