Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strike Suit Zero - arcade space "sim" on Kickstarter

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just bumped into this project on kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero

It is an arcadey space sim, which is in the making for some time. The devs ask for 100K so they can polish up a game before release. This is looking to be a fun, high action space sim, mixed with japanese mecha (Gundam) elements. The first 1000 backers can get the game for 15 bucks.

The composer of Homeworld, Paul Ruskay made an original score for the game (I don't know if he makes every music in the game, or just one score, but it is awesome nonetheless).

Gerrard

Arcane
I like what I see, but a question that begs asking is: will they be able to make the missions varied enough so that it won't end up being all the same shit by the 3rd one? Because it doesn't matter how cool you think your transforming mecha is if your game is banalshitboring.

Also, in the system requirements it says video card that supports DX11. Is it actually going to be a DX11 game, or are they just dumb?

Princess Rage

Novice
I like what I see, but a question that begs asking is: will they be able to make the missions varied enough so that it won't end up being all the same shit by the 3rd one? Because it doesn't matter how cool you think your transforming mecha is if your game is banalshitboring.

My thoughts exactly. I find that the first mistake they made when making it is that it only takes place in space instead of just a general sci-fi setting. After all, in space there's... well, nothing, it's space. There's not much to work with for levels and as such the levels will probably quickly become repetitive and banal-shit-boring.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

My thoughts exactly. I find that the first mistake they made when making it is that it only takes place in space instead of just a general sci-fi setting. After all, in space there's... well, nothing, it's space. There's not much to work with for levels and as such the levels will probably quickly become repetitive and banal-shit-boring.
What? There are many great space fighter games, that show you can do varied mission in space, even though there isn't much to work with there. Plus this won't be space sim, so they can make up unique things, which are not based on reality.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Even if it wasn't goddamned weaboo bullshit with your spacecraft turning into a robot to circle strafe and shit the real dealbreaker for me is the third person viewpoint. Part of what made X-Wing, TIE-Fighter and Wing Commander so awesome was the cockpit that gradually detoriated as you took damage. Even the HUD from Freespace (even though it was a bit too spartan for my liking) is preferrable.

Overboard

Arcane
I'm a sucker for giant robots, so will be keeping an eye on this. First crpg I ever played obsessively was Battletech (still got that green manual), and I've been looking for something similar ever since.

made

Arcane
176arl.jpg

Looks good though. I'm generally sympathetic to any KS that has a working prototype to show rather than pure hype. Just how arcadey (ie. shallow) will it be?

Gerrard

Arcane
The only memories from playing Shogo I have are
- terrible opening song
- having to save game before every door
So I would say that if anything it was the on-foot parts that sucked.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, Freespace was also incredibly boring. What were they thinking when they made it?

DraQ

Arcane
The only memories from playing Shogo I have are
- terrible opening song
- having to save game before every door
So I would say that if anything it was the on-foot parts that sucked.
Meh. It was cool, had branching story and shit.

Still, while some mecha weapons were cool (bullgut, juggernaut, red riot - basically what done the most boom) overall mecha parts were no different mechanically from the parts done on foot. Bleh.

Oh, and low-poly attempts at animu style characters are even worse than drawn animu style characters.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Shogo was more then just cool, it's one of the best FPSes of all time. :obviously:

DraQ

Arcane
Shogo was more then just cool, it's one of the best FPSes of all time. :obviously:
That's gross overstatement.
And no, I do like it. A lot, actually, unlike its retarded engine sibling.

But I still think mecha parts were just ludicrous.
Any kind of vehicle or reasonably sized PA, or anything that wasn't "giant mecha because" could have taken their part and the game would be better.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Awwwww.... Pretty colors!

Newaiz, the main dealbreaker/maker for me is the damage model. Every shot should have a visible effect, chainguns tearing apart armor plating, missiles blowing sections apart, smaller fighters melting from being too close to the capitol ship beam weapons. Fuck, the tech has improved so much that they have no excuses anymore.

I could larp the effects with Freespace, but I shouldn't have to do that this day and age. You don't need to make the game much prettier, just make the damage model and physics better.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Newaiz, the main dealbreaker/maker for me is the damage model. Every shot should have a visible effect, chainguns tearing apart armor plating, missiles blowing sections apart, smaller fighters melting from being too close to the capitol ship beam weapons. Fuck, the tech has improved so much that they have no excuses anymore.
Oh :( . I wish more developers would pay attention to that kind of stuff.

DraQ

Arcane

I could larp the effects with Freespace, but I shouldn't have to do that this day and age. You don't need to make the game much prettier, just make the damage model and physics better.
This.

We don't want cinefaggic awesome, we want interactive awesome.

Though when it comes to space-sim set in actual space, I still want my Newtonian.

Even leaving my obsession with space realism aside, the combat model in this game looks plain boring.
It would be adequate for an RTS like Homeworld, but in directly controlled shooter it simply can't sustain the interest.
Art design (apart from stupid mecha in space) is good, music is good but this isn't helping much if the game sucks.

Maybe there is some reason for me not liking arcadey spasims other than simply me being a hard sci-fi nerd.
Space is big. Space is empty. Big empty space isn't conductive to the gameplay if you're moving with velocities not exceeding that of a WW1 biplane. Purty backdrops and 'sploshuns don't change a damn.
A shooter has to be dynamic. If you want to make an arcade space shooter, make it revolve around flying at high speeds around planetary atmospheres, surreal landscapes and massive space stations, with a lot of interactivity and destructibility.
Open space and fleet battles won't sustain it. If you want open space, you need something else than pewpew to sustain your game, because it frankly won't be terribly dynamic otherwise.

As for 'sploshuns, what's with the recent trend of explosions not looking like explosions, but some monochrome, shitty, sterile (no debris or damage), cheap looking... things?
I can see it here, saw it in ME vidyas, saw a bit of it in UT3. What the fuck?

Q1 or Build explosions carried more oomph.
With all those fancy shadurz I'm sure you can do better you lazy fucks.
Stop complaining about pirates or haveing to sell over 9000000 copies to break even and get to fucking work.

And if you don't care about realism or anything, but want to go full space opera, then the best looking 'sploshuns, shields and whatnot in a space game were featured in Haegemonia.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
And if you don't care about realism or anything, but want to go full space opera, then the best looking 'sploshuns, shields and whatnot in a space game were featured in Haegemonia.

Some love for Haegemonia. :love:

chainguns tearing apart armor plating, missiles blowing sections apart, smaller fighters melting from being too close to the capitol ship beam weapons. Fuck, the tech has improved so much that they have no excuses anymore.
Since this is not a space sim like Star Citizen, but a arcade stuff, I doubt we will have a detailed damage modell. To bo honest, I don't really care about that in an arcade game. Freespace lacked it and I was okay with that. If the ships will have a decent, detailed control like Freespace, I'll be happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom