Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Stupid Fallout 1 problem

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So yesterday I played Fallout 1 with a slightly tweaked Max, trading small guns with speech, kinda useless but that's not the problem.

The problem: I got my leg crippled from fighting raider boss guy, and I don't know which doctor is capable of healing, so I just go to shady sands' doctor, but it's useless. Turns out the one in vault 13 can (Thank you, google and whoever write whatever google found). But nooo, I healed from walking from around in the wastes.

Now I'm stuck with no way to damage myself (Dogmeat would kill the rats if I try picking up a fight with them, not sure about getting random encounters, the wound would probably heal from walking back to vault 13) so the doc would consider healing me, and my leg is still crippled so I can't run.

Can I just... use some cheat or console command to set my hp to 1? This is annoying.

Modron

Arcane
So yesterday I played Fallout 1 with a slightly tweaked Max, trading small guns with speech, kinda useless but that's not the problem.

The problem: I got my leg crippled from fighting raider boss guy, and I don't know which doctor is capable of healing, so I just go to shady sands' doctor, but it's useless. Turns out the one in vault 13 can (Thank you, google and whoever write whatever google found). But nooo, I healed from walking from around in the wastes.

Now I'm stuck with no way to damage myself (Dogmeat would kill the rats if I try picking up a fight with them, not sure about getting random encounters, the wound would probably heal from walking back to vault 13) so the doc would consider healing me, and my leg is still crippled so I can't run.

Can I just... use some cheat or console command to set my hp to 1? This is annoying.
Can always just use a save editor like falche http://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/falche-fallout-1-editor.15/ to edit health or even fix that injury if I recall correctly, but kind of what multidirectional said didn't the doctor skill have a pretty high starting value just hit 6 and click on yourself a few times and it should be relatively doable even with the RNG.

Jacob

Patron
oh well it actually works after pressing the doctor skill a few more times. dammit you guys are very hellpful. thanks. now i can go to the club near my house an show off my RPG skill at some dumb bitch

Jacob

Patron
The steam version is shit. It crashes every now and then. At first I don't really mind since it usually crashes while I'm traveling but now I'm beating super mutants and robots and the Cathedral Vault and it crashes... Fuck this playthrough I'm uninstalling the steam version.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Does fixt break stuff? IIRC I must have used it very early when it just combined teamx and sfall or something. Anyway sfall did wonders for me with its engine tweaks concerning crashes.

jaydee2k

Savant
sfall is okay, but fixt is a bad merged mess. It makes a different game out of Fallout...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Beware of 200mb "patches" for 600mb game installs. Killaps patch for Fallout 2 is 20mb.

jaydee2k

Savant
Why on earth do you consider adding art/audio assets to Fallout a good idea?!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Killap's Fallout 2 patch is copy/paste install but breakt comes with an installer that can't be extracted with 7-zip for manual installation. Also installs redistributable to the OS without asking.

It's "purist" install is offensive to Fallout purists.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Does fixt break stuff? IIRC I must have used it very early when it just combined teamx and sfall or something. Anyway sfall did wonders for me with its engine tweaks concerning crashes.

Yes. The LAST time I tried the fixt mod (this WAS quite a while ago) a number of things already fixed by TeamX (like at least for me, the whole Saul the Boxer was all broken again. This is already completely fixed by TeamX). Also, at the time, the bug list for fixt was incredibly extensive. I DON'T however know of the current state of the project.

The TeamX + Fallout will basically give you the most bug free, and no extra content added option for playing Fallout.

Fixt does HAVE a purist option (to not add any new stuff), but too many things were broken, that should already be fixed. However, the other side of the coin was a number of other things, not even fixed by TeamX, were actually fixed (and still are, like overland encounters, at least the last time I played).

So it really just depends on the kind of experience you are looking for at the time.

I just wish Fixt did nothing, until every single (at least TeamX wise) bugs were all removed. You then would have the best of both worlds.

Again, this was quite a wile ago, I'm not too sure on how the current bug list that is still remaining for Fixt is.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Game was a buggy mess when I played it with Fixt a year or two ago.
No problems with the Team X patches.

Jacob

Patron
Well, when I played the GOG version back then I never needed any patch whatsoever...

I only owned the Steam version because of the anniversary giveaway.

managed to finish the game for the first time in 16 hours. Never got to finish it back in the days because I was busy playing only Fallout 2 and hated the time limit in F1. I really miss these kind of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom