Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
- It is very jank. Like, super jank. If you don't have V-sync on your GPU heats up to 70 degrees, which for a 2d game is just ridiculous.

Unity. :M

Eh I dislike unity but lets be real here, the presentation is just shit

Awkward perspective, clipart characters and dogshit animation give Stygian that early-2000 flash game feel. The game just feels and looks like absolute shit regardless of engine

Yeah, sometimes its hard to click on stuff because of how the game is laid out. Its particularly egregious in combat where you can't click on a hex sometimes because there's a piece of terrain or character model obstructing it, so you have to search for the magic pixel to make your move.
They did get the atmosphere down, and sometimes the cheapo art style lends itself well to the surreal / grisly horror aspect.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They did get the atmosphere down

Well I don't agree, it's overly dramatized and feels like a parody/lovecraft pop quiz. Referencing Innsmouth or going mad from seeing a dead horse does not make a game Lovecraftian, not to mention a cartoony style is poor match for gothic fiction period because one is serious, the other is not.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Clive Barkers Undying is probably more "Lovecraftian" than this will ever be (by just being atmospheric), it doesn't need namedropping or tentacles just skill

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
They did get the atmosphere down

Well I don't agree, it's overly dramatized and feels like a parody/lovecraft pop quiz. Referencing Innsmouth or going mad from seeing a dead horse does not make a game Lovecraftian, not to mention a cartoony style is poor match for gothic fiction period because one is serious, the other is not.

Whilst I will admit that some of the "scares" and sanity drop events are a little contrived and inconsistent, the game does manage to maintain a feeling of futility and hopelessness throughout it, which is consistent with Lovecraft's writings. Furthermore, there are a few sequences that are quite well done; the Miracle on top of Essex Hotel and The Theater of Bones are notable examples. I even appreciated the art direction for Blasted Street, even though the game play in that area is trash.

It does pander a lot to Lovecraft's fan base, yes; I did notice that they tried to shove pretty much every major story of his into the game, but Lovecraft games tend to do that (See Dark Corners of the Earth, which has Deep Ones, Kin of Cthulhu, Flying Polyps, The Great Race of Yith and Shoggoths all in the same game), and they are an indie company.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
There are few new decent RPGs on market so it is passable. But it is not good by itself.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
so is it playable on 1920x1080 yet?

SBUmpqQBlY-DFzlOXI4gdKb2hbqybPAHmqrRZkaulp9O-bsNMzA6EDFP8ttAi0SJTkqagvMg4eBMDlfKyWUa8_PIc8lXFyknpkHiw4vOOAGy2hDSYpg

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Maybe it's a game about the Howard Lovecraft's cat? You know, something like Rescue Rangers, only with eldritch monstrosities as the monsters of the week. I'm sure that would sell great.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cats, the human catnip.

Cultic jumping on the catwagon is clearly all about the money. Can't blame them for wanting to eat, but to me that means they're done.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Beowulf

Arcane
I finished it today.

What a wasted potential. The beginning is obviously where they could put real effort, then it goes downhill.
It is still buggy (got two game breaking bugs on Blasted Street alone) and I wouldn't recommend picking it up unless with -75% discount.

The art is good, the atmosphere is nice, even if it is this pulp associated with Levecraft nowadays more than the spirit of his writing.
But it is janky, poorly designed and unfinished.

They clearly had nice ideas, but the execution and implementation is severely lacking. It could have been a much better and tighter experience if they had good manager/game designer that would trim some mechanics, that in consequence are barely visible in the game.

The game itself is not bad, but it leaves you in disappointment after you see through the early promises.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's made by a team of artists who needed a technical person who understood how to build a game in unity. Honestly, as a first attempt (I think it was all of the team's first game), it's good. Hopefully they can reflect and acknowledge the deficiencies so their next game caries the spirit they put into Stygian, but with better technical execution.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom