Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a Lovecraftian turn-based RPG, now on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    These kickstarter videos are getting so lame.
    Please support our visions give us the money like the 1,000 guys before us that had no idea what they were doing.

^ Top  
  2. ROARRR Learned Possibly Retarded

ROARRR
    :hailcthulhu:

^ Top  
  3. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Well...when you depend on crowdfunding, there's not much choice.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Heh, I am sure the Chaosium people must be sad you can't actually patent SAN loss mechanics.

^ Top  
  6. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They kinda seem to know what they're doing though.

^ Top  
  7. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Backed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Neglecting the morale of your team is a noob mistake. This man clearly knows what he's doing.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. VioletShadow Sensate Patron

VioletShadow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Looks very interesting! Backed. Also, it's Georgie Ziets approved :yeah::bounce:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It does look interesting. It's also a take on Lovecraft that I've always wanted but never expected to get -- turn-based, party management, isometric-ish (rather *not* over the shoulder). I'm sort of taken aback by the premise of Arkham having been sucked into other worlds (feels too over the top for a proper Mythos story), but the impetus seems to be creating a Sigil-like situation with a bunch of humans stranded at an interdimensional crossroads with a bunch of weird "aliens." The use of lore and sanity checks in dialogues during the gameplay demo sort of affirms this. Using Lovecraft to recreate Planescape isn't the worst idea I've ever heard.

Environmental art is a little polarizing but not entirely inappropriate. I think it will grow on people.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Bluebottle Erudite Patron

Bluebottle
    Dead State Wasteland 2
    Erich Zaan didn't play a violin, he played a viol, which is more akin to a cello. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Seriously...looks good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    I like the art but not the map design. It looks like a random mishmash of different things. Make me think of some strategy game maps, like Age of Wonders. I also can't shake the feeling that the game will be very Jrpg like (linear, combat focused). I need to see a little but more before backing/

^ Top  
  13. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Regarding the art direction, it's more than a little bit "indie-y" (particularly when coupled with their current animations), and it's fairly obvious why some people might not like it.

Yet the character portraits in the video suggest to me that the artist is highly skilled. People are the hardest subjects to draw, harder even than animals; we ARE people, after all, so we're cued in to the most minute details of a person's posture, facial structure, proportions, et cetera.

The portraits in the video are far above DeviantART-tier (though an elite few DeviantART users are consummate experts), and frankly are a lot better than PoE's portraits, for example.

The art style and direction are appealing to me (perhaps not my ideal choice, but certainly not unappealing). So, in terms of art and atmosphere thereof, I like what I see.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    the angst system looks cool.

reminds me in mask of the betrayer if you decide to be gluttony ass and eats everything or other similar mechanics. you got neat, powerful perks or skills on cost of becoming less and less human or sane

^ Top  
  15. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Is there bloom for videos now?

^ Top  
  16. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There may be a certain kind of genius at work in deciding that the world has already been destroyed by the Old Ones. Usually one of the flaws in Lovecraft fiction is that the doom of humanity is constantly hovering overhead but never quite arrives, like a fall season that never quite becomes winter.

^ Top  
  17. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    How come none of them is here? Don't they want to have endless discussion on proper RPG classification and their current president?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Scrawled is here, though not on this thread I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.