Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Stygian : The Reign of the Small Font

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
NNPGRIg.jpg

01 - Kalin Ibrahim
JuFTT37.jpg

The dream is a clue. It must be.

1SXn8oO.jpg

I retrieved my meager possessions from the nearby trunk and counted my cigs.

V4NBtpY.jpg

Only two hundred sticks left. Enough for five more days of stay at the Old Eel's. I loaded my revolver, donned my trench coat and hat.

SkmvOFo.jpg

sw15ROE.jpg

YC7gJo9.jpg

EFTSfMc.jpg
Good morning, cornuto. If you can call this never-ending fucking twilight morning... What was all that hurly-burly upstairs? Bad dreams?
fJs53PU.jpg
You could say that.
EFTSfMc.jpg
Why am I not surprised? I recommend hitting the bottle before going to sleep. Makes things easier.
yvTXhvy.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) But I don't see any bruises on myself, and if I'm unhurt I must've paid the bill.

He seems dispirited by the argument.

EFTSfMc.jpg
I'm not in the mood for a pissing contest. I'll have all your cigs eventually. Later, cornuto.

Can't trust that snake.

UYynZnG.jpg

I'll hold off from buying anything for now. But one item caught my interest.

sk053nV.jpg

I decided to purchase it for 6 cigs.

eifwlfl.jpg

DskYeSe.jpg

iYIRyjt.jpg

a0dL7bk.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Fascinating read. But is any of it true? By the way, Marino.
EFTSfMc.jpg
What is it, cornuto?
fJs53PU.jpg
Why do you call me cornuto?
EFTSfMc.jpg
Uh, forget about it. You remind of a guy. He's a cornuto, that's it.
fJs53PU.jpg
But what is a cornuto?
EFTSfMc.jpg
Cornuto is... someone who has horns, you know. If a wife is unfaithful to the husband, that makes the husband a cornuto, all right?

A devil cuck? I don't get it.

fJs53PU.jpg
What does this have got to do with me?
EFTSfMc.jpg
When I was the bartender of Isola, a small Italian bar in Chichago, a man used to come in there every evening. Every single day.
EFTSfMc.jpg
He didn't drink, he didn't seem to have any fun, he just kept looking at the patrons silently. Looking for someone...
EFTSfMc.jpg
Then after almost a year, I finally learned his story. He was searching for the man who fucked his wife. He came to that bar every day, staring silently...Just like you.
EFTSfMc.jpg
You're waiting for someone. You don't pursue whatever fucked up life you can have in this shitty town. Instead you act like that cornuto. Forgive me if I put it bluntly, but who fucked you over, my friend?
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm waiting for someone, true, but it's not as simple as that.
EFTSfMc.jpg
Like I care. Anything else? A drink perhaps?
fJs53PU.jpg
Not yet. Tell me, what's the story of the Old Eel?
EFTSfMc.jpg
Do I seem like the chatty type of bartender, cornuto? They say an old drunk opened the place after a dream or something 40 years ago. Satisfied?
EFTSfMc.jpg
There's only one story you should know about this establishment now: Wax Face owns the place, Marino runs the place. Happily ever after.
fJs53PU.jpg
Tell me about this Wax Face.
EFTSfMc.jpg
Not a smart question at all, cornuto. Just remember that he is the king on this side of the Miskatonic. He's the boss of the Mob, the Unseen Imperatore.
EFTSfMc.jpg
He's the person whom you should keep your mouth shut when his name comes to mind.
fJs53PU.jpg
What's the Mob doing in a remote New England town?
Zmzm3me.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
(Psychology) Hmm, I'll wait till the alcohol loosen him up.

As hours pass, Marino becomes more loud and boastful. It seems he has reached the tipping point and might let something interesting slip.

fJs53PU.jpg
What was the thing about the Mob, Marino? Coming to Arkham and all?
EFTSfMc.jpg
Shut up, you fool! Not so loud. You've heard that I was a key player in that business, yes?

He starts to whisper.

EFTSfMc.jpg
The Cortellini family of Chicago was looking for a safe route to transport the liquor they smuggle from overseas. European whiskey, Cuban Gin, all sorts of booze.
EFTSfMc.jpg
Let's say with the help of a good adviser, a cousin of Diego Rossi, they were persuaded to use the MIskatonic River for the operation. Actually cornuto, it was me who gave them the idea. Always had a nose for profit, see.
fJs53PU.jpg
What happened then?
EFTSfMc.jpg
The Cortellinis sent some of their best men along with some cannon fodders to oversee the operation. And right after the ships arrived from Kingsport with the moonshine, the fucking Black Day happened.
EFTSfMc.jpg
The Mob got stuck here. Imagine big city gangsters in an old, quiet-as-shit New England town. It's like wolves trapped in a fucking slaughter house. The rest is... natural selection.
fJs53PU.jpg
Sounds more like oppressing the weak to me.

Sanity gained: 2 (Humanistic)

EFTSfMc.jpg
This conversation never happened, cornuto. Do not forget the clock tower and the plucked chicken.
fJs53PU.jpg
Alright, good bye.
EFTSfMc.jpg
Later cornuto, I hope you find whoever fucked your wife.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
02 - Sanity Check
9z8V1LQ.jpg

A2pWcIz.jpg
Care for a game of cricket? You don't get a chance to play against the world champion everyday.
fJs53PU.jpg
A world champion? You?
A2pWcIz.jpg
Of course! Surprised? Don't you have any clue of what happened to the rest of the world? KNOCK KNOCK, anybody there? NO ONE? Ehh, good riddance!

He throws a dart.

A2pWcIz.jpg
Earth was a big pain in the butt anyway! Here, there is only one champion: Hershel, the master of darts!

He throws another dart at the board.

A2pWcIz.jpg
Ready for the game?
fJs53PU.jpg
Is there a prize?
A2pWcIz.jpg
Prize? Nothing can come close to the thrill of darts. Tobacco? Rubbish! But feeling the texture of the stem in your hand, the steel points savagely p-penetrating the board, it's priceless!
fJs53PU.jpg
Yeah, okay pal. And the prize?
A2pWcIz.jpg
You want cigarettes? Beat me then! Beat the world champ and you'll have more cigs than you'll ever want! You see, I was a traveling salesman for Tom Rogers cigarettes. Before I found my true self and became the champion! Damn those days! 'Hershel, go to Maine. Go to Boston, Hershel. Hershel, your sales performance is poor! We're disappointed, Hershel!'
fJs53PU.jpg
(Agility) Alright, enough. Let's play.
A2pWcIz.jpg
Now you're talking!

He starts explaining the rules of the game with a lot of enthusiasm and then we started playing.

2Bniu4E.jpg

A2pWcIz.jpg
C-cheater...
fJs53PU.jpg
I didn't cheat.
A2pWcIz.jpg
Cheater!
fJs53PU.jpg
Oh, come on. Mass tacs is a valid strat.
A2pWcIz.jpg
CHEATER! CHEATER! CHEATER! CHEATER! CHEATER!

With each repetition, his speech starts to sound less and less rational, until it turns into a frenzied howl.

aayYNZX.jpg

uFPrr8O.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Ouch! That hurt...damn. He's gone. But...
4bf44ex.jpg

Poor guy. Being the champ must've been the only thing keeping his sanity in check.
Time for me to leave as well.

pfxnPGD.jpg

RK47

Patron
03 - Arkham
It's hard to ignore that massive monument just across the street. It looks like an effigy of some sort.
I decided to ask one of the locals about it.

f6QJvTi.jpg

kVvlZa3.jpg
Excuse me, madam. What is that grotesque monument over there?
sgBSw3K.jpg
The Cult erected it in place of the old Lincoln statue. "Grandfather Altar" they call it. Damned atrocity.
kVvlZa3.jpg
What can you tell me about the Cultists?
sgBSw3K.jpg
The cultists come from across the river to sacrifice people who've been marked by the Mob as blood offerings to Grandfather Kuh-thoo-lu.
kVvlZa3.jpg
The Mob marks people?
sgBSw3K.jpg
Shhhh! If you get on the Mob's bad side, you'll get marked, and every so often the Cult will come and take you away. If it happens, you're better off putting a bullet into your head.
sgBSw3K.jpg
No one deserves such a death. The cries of the sacrificed, I can still hear them. Now if you'll excuse me.
kVvlZa3.jpg
Wait. Can you tell me more about the Cult?
sgBSw3K.jpg
Mad fanatics who devoted themselves to Kuh-thoo-lu. They rule the ruins of North Arkham, across the Miskatonic River. They often come to this side of the river either to find new blood for their ranks, or new victims to be sacrificed.
kVvlZa3.jpg
How can I get to the other side of the river? Is it possible to swim across?
sgBSw3K.jpg
Madness. I don't recommend it. There are things lurking in the water. Only the Cult can cross the river at will, but I have no idea how. Sometimes you can see their boats on the Miskatonic, all painted red, crimson omens of doom.
kVvlZa3.jpg
What about the Mob?

She looks around in fear.

sgBSw3K.jpg
They're the law.
kVvlZa3.jpg
Madam, fear is the real enemy. If we stand together, we still have a chance.

Sanity gained: 2 (Humanistic)

sgBSw3K.jpg
Betsy Ross said the same thing. I bet the Ghouls are tearing her body apart somewhere.
kVvlZa3.jpg
What happened to this Betsy Ross?
sgBSw3K.jpg
They shot her in the head. End of story. Evil wins out in this place, sooner or later.
kVvlZa3.jpg
What do you know about the Black Day?
sgBSw3K.jpg
Nothing more than you, I guess. We had all seen the signs, right? People having the same nightmares, the mysterious disappearances, whole families massacred. We saw it coming but pretended everything is fine.
sgBSw3K.jpg
The Black Day started with that apocalyptic roar, piercing deep into our minds. The sky melting. Colors fading. I can't remember anything else.

Tears well up in her eyes.

sgBSw3K.jpg
When we came to our senses, Arkham lay beneath an alien sky, banished from our home forever. We are alone, all alone in this purgatory, left to the mercy of tyrants and deviants!
kVvlZa3.jpg
Such hopelessness. This town's spirit is broken and distorted. Just like that statue.
J7x8u55.jpg

I must not linger. I must journey onward.

RK47

Patron
04 - Key Number 0
YK1K6fM.jpg

9FoOz11.jpg

rFBqkQj.jpg

7tn9IUd.jpg

eO4QKM2.jpg

Relieved, I knelt down and gripped the key tightly.

FCvVXLj.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
I might want to ask one of the locals about it.
G2OGu9b.jpg

The Schmidt's Antique store is located in French Hill. But first, I think I'll explore this district.

SWKsRmU.jpg

KK8G7xN.jpg

otdWxYr.jpg
Gwen, is that you?

He takes a moment to realize I am not who he expected.

otdWxYr.jpg
Ah, shoot!
fJs53PU.jpg
Are you okay, pal?
otdWxYr.jpg
Who's asking? The drill sergeant? Pfft! Go away!
fJs53PU.jpg
Sergeant? An interesting guess. Were you in the army?
otdWxYr.jpg
What are you, a cop? The last time I checked, the mob burned down the goddamn police station.

He chugs down his drink and spits.

otdWxYr.jpg
They won't tolerate a snoop around these parts so up yours, mister.
fJs53PU.jpg
Pardon me for saying this, but you don't look well.
otdWxYr.jpg
I don't need no help! I'm well aware of what Richter's dope does to a healthy person. Do I look like I give a damn? Hm! Speaking of Richter...

Mentioning the pharmacist's name seems to have given him an idea.

fJs53PU.jpg
What of him?
otdWxYr.jpg
Maybe you could bring me a shot of his morphine, if you insist on bantering with this pathetic waste of a soldier.
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) With my contacts, I can supply all kinds of dope, enough to last you a lifetime, but first tell me what happened to you.
otdWxYr.jpg
Ah...what the hell. I lost everything anyway, might as well lose a few minutes to a story. The name's Jeremy Parsons.

He takes a deep breath and exhales slowly.

otdWxYr.jpg
It all began after I met Gwen Robin, my former... Pfft, you know. Being a poor cobbler's son, I was obligated to put bread on the table and that's why I joined the Guard for the extra pay check.
otdWxYr.jpg
Hailing from an even poorer Arkham family, Gwen was working as a wireless operator at the base. Boy, phew, she had it all. Blonde, nice figure. Oh how I miss our little escapades.
otdWxYr.jpg
But everything went to hell when she had to quit her job due to some family issue back home. I was shaken, but had to continue with my training.
otdWxYr.jpg
Then apocalypse came! The National Guard was called to active duty. I was stuck being a full time soldier. As I was struggling to deal with it, Gwen's last letter proved to be the final blow. She said we had to break up, that she couldn't see me ever again.
otdWxYr.jpg
I couldn't accept it and smuggled myself into a logistics truck bound to Arkham. I wanted to see her again!
fJs53PU.jpg
Humans are social creatures. The lonelier we are, the more desperate we get.

Sanity gained: 2

otdWxYr.jpg
If that was meant to comfort me, then thank you Sir. But I believe that I have failed my duty as a soldier. I'm a deserter.
fJs53PU.jpg
So you went to Arkham? Did you find her?
otdWxYr.jpg
After arriving in Arkham, I headed straight to her address. But there was nobody in the house. Even their coffee cups were on the table, but they were gone. It's as if the inhabitants vanished!
otdWxYr.jpg
I lost track of her since, I asked around, but was only met with hostility and apathy.
fJs53PU.jpg
Don't give up. There's always hope.

otdWxYr.jpg
You seem like a good man. Here. Take this.

He hands me a picture of a blonde woman.

otdWxYr.jpg
This is Gwen. Please ask around. Maybe you can do a better job than I did.
fJs53PU.jpg
Sure, I'll do my best. Goodbye, Jeremy.
rgkNO80.jpg

It's unlikely that she's still alive. But still, who knows?

tSUb3tL.jpg

b5iXfqB.jpg

It's time to head to the Antique Store.

RK47

Patron
05 - Pure chance
9tFh3K0.jpg

Tt2MB1B.jpg
Hola, senor. Please forgive my interrupcion but I've been seeing you at the Old Eel and wanted to presentarme.
fJs53PU.jpg
Who are you?
Tt2MB1B.jpg
I am called Eduardo. Eduardo Carnela to be exact, but there is nothing special about my apellido. I am just a son of another poor fisherman from Cojimar.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
Yet I carried the Carnela name to this far part of the world. Now all that remains is our past, no?
fJs53PU.jpg
You may be right. I am Kalin Ibrahim.

There is a crackle of energy in Eduardo's eyes as he firmly shakes my hand.

Tt2MB1B.jpg
A pleasure to meet you, senor.
fJs53PU.jpg
Now that we are introduced, are you here for something?
Tt2MB1B.jpg
I have a sensacion that you may need my services. Different from you, I am accustomed to this survival in the streets, the never ending sobreviviente.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
I survived the Spaniards, then American occupation, then civil war, then the American again. No hard feelings though.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
But you see my point now. I know what to do when things get, what do you say, hot. I can be the difference between life and Santa Muerte.
fJs53PU.jpg
I see. A mercenary. What do you want in return?
Tt2MB1B.jpg
Two dozen cigs for each day I protect you. I don't care if you're fighting monsters, or the mob, or El Diablo himself.
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) I will have work for you in the near future, but you have to give me a better price.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
Bien... You are a survivor like me senor. 23 cigs for a day then.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'll think about it. You have no fear at all, huh?
Tt2MB1B.jpg
Why should I? I have survived by chance all my life, and now I do just the same. We all do... but you were not aware of this before la Catastrofe.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
A swordfish killed mi padre. One day he never came home from work. Eso es! Like that! You see, we live by chance alone, but it is when we are out of luck that it becomes plain.
Tt2MB1B.jpg
I will play the same game, senor, until la Diosa Fortuna betrays me.
fJs53PU.jpg
Well... I have no need for your service at the moment. Where can I meet you?
Tt2MB1B.jpg
I'll be at the Old Eel if you change your mind. Adios.

He could be a useful ally. But I don't think I'm heading into a fight any time soon.

NMgRXJ5.jpg

OP3HsIl.jpg

Further ahead is the French Hill, where the Antique Shop resides.

JAd0eJ1.jpg

JVmVRZc.jpg

rzbRwlw.jpg

RK47

Patron
06 - The Collector
lxFXeaU.jpg

SgvXYry.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
That's a very nice collection of keys you have.
dIrKDCS.jpg
Thank you. I have put my life into this collection, though it is unfortunately incomplete...

His eyes betray a sense of deep longing as he reviews his rows of keys.

fJs53PU.jpg
Why the interest in keys?
dIrKDCS.jpg
I have always been fascinated by keys. I started collecting them in my childhood. It was simply a hobby of course, until the Black Day.
fJs53PU.jpg
What changed after the Black Day?
dIrKDCS.jpg
It's not important. Just remember that I will pay handsomely for keys.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'll feel better knowing why you want them so badly.
dIrKDCS.jpg
Very well. After the Black Day, like many others, I lost all hope. With no reason to go on, I decided to end it.
dIrKDCS.jpg
For days I fasted and prayed for Hashem's forgiveness, determined to end this misery of an existence.
dIrKDCS.jpg
I passed out from hunger and exhaustion, and then I dreamed of two keys: One was gold and burning, though it was only warm to the touch.
dIrKDCS.jpg
The other was silver and bathed in moonlight.
fJs53PU.jpg
What do they signify? Do you think they are real keys?
dIrKDCS.jpg
They were the keys to the Temple of Solomon! I felt the Light inside me. Oh Hashem... He spoke to me.

The old man's eyes widen and lose their focus, as if he were in a trance.

dIrKDCS.jpg
That is why I have been collecting keys all my life. They are my escape from this... Sheol. They were my test, and they will be my salvation.
fJs53PU.jpg
How can a bunch of keys help you escape?
dIrKDCS.jpg
There is a hidden power in patterns and numbers. Some of the keys are numbered. This makes them special. I think I've said enough. So tell me, how may I assist you?
fJs53PU.jpg
Tell me about your store.
dIrKDCS.jpg
This is Schmidt's Antiques, or what's left of it. And I am Isidore Schmidt. Like the merchandise, I have been gathering dust here for a good long while.
fJs53PU.jpg
I am Kalin Ibrahim. May I see your wares?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Of course, that is why I am here. But first tell me, how do you intend to pay?
fJs53PU.jpg
Cigarettes?
dIrKDCS.jpg
I have no interest in hoarding them, nor do I smoke them myself. I'm old enough to value breathing too much.
fJs53PU.jpg
How peculiar. Well. Do you want the old currency?
dIrKDCS.jpg
My advice to you, sir, is to keep those in the restroom, where it may be of some use.
fJs53PU.jpg
Well then, what did you have in mind?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Keys, I collect them, you see, all sizes and shapes. If you happen to come across any keys in this accursed place, bring them to me.
dIrKDCS.jpg
I will gladly trade my collection of exquisite items for keys. Or if you wish, I can pay you in cigarettes.
fJs53PU.jpg
Hang on. If you also accept cigs in trade it would also allow you to obtain more keys, wouldn't it?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Not necessarily. I have all the Cigs I need.
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) What if I were to bring you a special key worth more than everything you have here?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Hm...very well. I see your point. I will accept cigs as payment, but only from you.
fJs53PU.jpg
You've made the right choice. Take a look at this key I have.

Greed immediately flashes in the old man's eyes. He hastily checks his notebook on the counter.

dIrKDCS.jpg
It's numbered 0? Oh, how interesting. Where did you get such a rare one?
fJs53PU.jpg
From a mysterious man, hinted at in a dream. It's a long story.
dIrKDCS.jpg
Some dreams indeed hold value. What can I offer you for that key my friend? It will be a fine addition to my collection here.
fJs53PU.jpg
You seem to hold a great deal of knowledge of the key. Would you mind telling me that first?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Forgive me but I don't trust people easily. This particular habit also helped me tremendously in staying alive. I offer you five hundred cigs for that key. Do you accept?
fJs53PU.jpg
No. I-
dIrKDCS.jpg
700. That's my final offer.
fJs53PU.jpg
You don't give up, do you?
dIrKDCS.jpg
A thousand. Right now.
fJs53PU.jpg
Mr. Schmidt, losing this key will put everything in jeopardy. You won't change my mind, sorry. I came here for information on the key. Not to sell it.
dIrKDCS.jpg
If you're not selling the key to me, I'm afraid our conversation is over.
fJs53PU.jpg
What if I pay you for the information?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Hm. That is very tempting but...

He pauses for a while. Eyes still fixated at the key.

dIrKDCS.jpg
If you give me your word to give the key to me after you're done with it, this may start to look like a deal.
fJs53PU.jpg
That sounds agreeable. Very well. I promise.
dIrKDCS.jpg
Well then. Fifty cigs and your word to bring me the key. Is it a deal?
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) You're reaping a lot of benefit from this deal anyway. Can you not lower the amount a bit?
dIrKDCS.jpg
Fine, 49 cigs then. Be quick or I'll change my mind.
fJs53PU.jpg
(You goddamn Jew.) Fine. Here you go.

I counted and lay the bundle of cigarettes on the counter. Isidore counted every single stick. He even made sure to pick it up and peer at their insides with his eyes.

dIrKDCS.jpg
Excellent. I'll be waiting for the key, Mr. Ibrahim. Now, for my part... that key fits one of the safe deposit boxes in the Bank of Arkham. I wasn't aware of the existence of one labeled zero though.
fJs53PU.jpg
Where is the Bank of Arkham?
3R75UQf.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
We are indeed in a prison. Thank you. I'll go and check the place.
dC5qXED.jpg

RK47

Patron
07 - The French Hill
tdXdVxQ.jpg

Abz0vq2.jpg

8VKdVJv.jpg

It's not hard to see that beneath his ridiculous posturing, something is deeply wrong. The man's weary visage shows he's been at this for a long while and the exertion of staying in character is wearing him down.

fJs53PU.jpg
Are all right, Justin?

He reacts with comic surprise. His startled eyes show nothing but the shallow character he is portraying.

fJs53PU.jpg
(Psychology) Hmm, I should observe him.

As I watch him continue his bizarre show at the expense of his dwindling physical health, patterns of self-punishment are revealed. A deep sense of guilt may have triggered this malady.

fJs53PU.jpg
Hey, can you tell me your name?

He shrugs theatrically and begins another of his vulgar sketches. I'm no longer sure whether this is a performance or the sole mode of existence for this bizarre fellow.

fJs53PU.jpg
Maybe I should ask the guy next to him.

A revolting smell attacks my nostrils as I approach the homeless man, as if some small animal had died under his stained clothes.

PbRuo6S.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Who is that man with paint all over his face?
EAJ5in1.jpg
Oh, don't you know Coaly Willie? I thought everybody knew Coaly! You know he has movies, theatrical performances. He was a real celebrity, you know. Not Coaly Willie but the fella himself, Sam Rodney.
EAJ5in1.jpg
Never found him funny myself. In better days a friend took me to one of his shows. Making all that money scoffing at black folks. The Black Day came for all of us in the end, innit? White, yellow, black, everybody.
fJs53PU.jpg
(Sweden) You're right. It is shameful to call discrimination a performance.

The hobo looks at the theatrics of the nearby 'actor'.

EAJ5in1.jpg
Well, he can perform as much as he likes now, mister.
fJs53PU.jpg
You mean he's still putting on a show?
EAJ5in1.jpg
Uh, I dunno if I'd call it a show anymore, mister. I've been hanging around with him for a while now and never became Sam Rodney again, not even once. I guess he's flat out Coaly Willie now.
fJs53PU.jpg
I think he's punishing himself to death by continuing this act. Somehow.
EAJ5in1.jpg
Really? That's sad cause he's the only person who can stand me.
fJs53PU.jpg
Who is he performing for? You?
EAJ5in1.jpg
Some Mob fellas used to come and see him now and then. Not anymore. Watching the same thing over and over got boring probably. And other folks don't like to go anywhere near him. Probably find him creepy. Can't blame them.
fJs53PU.jpg
I see... well. I need to go. Bye.

Sam Rodney. What a strange man. Mayhap a crack on his sanity. The Black Day can cause a lot of things.

oy2InJg.jpg

UMl7OcC.jpg
Excuse me sir. A question if I may?
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm listening, Madam.
UMl7OcC.jpg
I'm looking for my husband. A slender, long faced gentleman from Boston. His name is Randolph Carter. All I know is that he arrived in Arkham. Do you know him or his whereabouts?
fJs53PU.jpg
Forgive me, I don't.
UMl7OcC.jpg
I see. Thank you, sir. I better continue my search.
fJs53PU.jpg
Perhaps I can help you in your search?
UMl7OcC.jpg
I'm sorry but I should be looking for him. Good bye.

I heard his name from somewhere, but I don't think I've ever met the man himself. How odd.

73o6seA.jpg

And that wraps up French Hill. It's time to make my way to the Bank of Arkham.

RK47

Patron
08 - The Victims
mBASPRG.jpg

imSLLee.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Leave him alone!

The crowd turns towards me with a mix of fear and hatred in their eyes. One of them shouts:
'Are you in league with this, this demon? Don't you see what its kind has brought upon us?'

fJs53PU.jpg
Look at what you've become. Do you think we've returned to the Dark Ages?
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) Can you do the same to the Mob? Aren't they your real oppressors?

Uncertain looks are exchanged among the crowd.

ijuYxb3.jpg

rEj0C2C.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
I just wanted to -
5XGiNKA.jpg
Why did you intervene on my behalf?
fJs53PU.jpg
No one should pay such a price simply for looking different.

I can feel the creature examining me from head to toe. The burning amber eyes move rapidly with the effort to comprehend.

5XGiNKA.jpg
Are you not human? Is this a disguise?
fJs53PU.jpg
It's not. I am human.

The creature is clearly still puzzled.

5XGiNKA.jpg
For whatever reason you aided me, know that I am incapable of helping my own self. Leave me be, that I may continue to search for that accursed man.
fJs53PU.jpg
The accursed man? Tell me about him.
5XGiNKA.jpg
This man in black...with no face. The man with the cane of bones. The ghostly tapping of his stick still rings in my ears.

I was stunned by this matching description. Could it be?

fJs53PU.jpg
You mean the Dismal Man?
5XGiNKA.jpg
A fitting name. Do you know him?
fJs53PU.jpg
I too am searching for him.
5XGiNKA.jpg
Then you are doomed as I am, stranger. In my bones, I know that no good would ever come from finding him, yet I have no other choice but to find him. His countenance was the last thing I saw before finding myself in this purgatory.
fJs53PU.jpg
Where did you last see him?
5XGiNKA.jpg
Somewhere far away. So far, so distant now... Damn the day I left my castle! Damn me for leaving my dreary chambers and the twilight droves and the companionship of my books! Damn me!
fJs53PU.jpg
You live in a Castle?
5XGiNKA.jpg
The past is best left alone. It often brings pain and seldom joy, and when it does, the longing of that joy twists it once more to pain.
fJs53PU.jpg
How did you come to Arkham?
5XGiNKA.jpg
I betrayed everything. The timeless peace that the lone centuries granted me! My own existence! I do not know how I came here but I know why: this is my punishment.
fJs53PU.jpg
Perhaps we could look for this man together.

The creature is silent for a moment.

5XGiNKA.jpg
Perhaps it is no coincidence. Very well. I shall walk with you for a time.
fJs53PU.jpg
Good. What is your name, friend?
5XGiNKA.jpg
I... I don't remember, I am unsure if I ever had one. But I know one thing, wherever the fates toss me, I remain the "outsider."
fJs53PU.jpg
I am Kalin Ibrahim. And know that whoever you are, it is a pleasure to meet you.

The creature says no more and follows in my footsteps, from a distance away.
I simply nodded in understanding and resume my walk towards the Bank of Arkham at Main Street.

JgYeYK9.jpg

His vigilant eyes quickly scan the premises and when he finally feels secure, he addresses me in a timid but needy fashion.

1LVhxwu.jpg
Forgive me if I startled you, sir. I'm Cornelius Moretti.
1LVhxwu.jpg
I have a proposal from which we can both benefit. Pardon my abruptness, but it will only take a minute of your time.
fJs53PU.jpg
Tell me about it.

He gazes momentarily at the bouncers standing near the Old Eel House.

1LVhxwu.jpg
I had seen you go up to the Old Eel attic before I got ejected by those ignoble swab. You might be just the man who can help me.
fJs53PU.jpg
How so?
1LVhxwu.jpg
It was just another miserable day at the joint when I, partly encouraged by the devil's juice no doubt, finally spoke what had been on my mind for a long time.

His anger suddenly takes precedence over his nervousness.

1LVhxwu.jpg
I called him out, that tyrannical devil's seed called Wax Face! I denounced him as the False Sheperd he really is. Nobody said a thing of course... cowards.
1LVhxwu.jpg
There was, is, and will ever be only one shepherd of men! For saying that, they expelled me, humiliated me, and worst of all, they marked me! Tis' a death sentence, you understand?
fJs53PU.jpg
What does being Marked entail?

Hearing the word, a surge of misgiving darkens his visage.

1LVhxwu.jpg
Now is not the time nor place, and besides, you're better off not knowing what it is.
fJs53PU.jpg
(Psychology) Look, you seem really agitated. Try talking about what's bothering you. It might help in easing your mind.

He ponders the advice and eventually concedes the point.

1LVhxwu.jpg
First they ban you from Mob premises, and then the whole town starts to shun you lest they get Marked too!
1LVhxwu.jpg
And then- they'll take you and turn you over to the Cult, wherever you are! There's no hiding from it. Oh Jesus, please help me!

The Mob owns the Drug store, the Pawn Shop, and the Old Eel House. Denied of these facilities, the Marked ones will have to fend for themselves on the streets. It'd be almost impossible to eke out a living in that kind of condition.

fJs53PU.jpg
All right. I understand your plight now. What do you need from me?
1LVhxwu.jpg
Well, sir, all I'm asking is that you retrieve my heirloom - a pocket watch from the Old Eel attic. It's a valuable piece, from my late father. I stashed it there, having an inkling that might need it in the dark days ahead.
1LVhxwu.jpg
It's hidden under a floorboard next to the mattress. I need it more than ever, for I'm left with nothing else. Once I barter it off we'll split the cigs halfway. Please... please... will you do this for me, sir?
fJs53PU.jpg
I will. No one should be condemned to such despair merely for expressing their convictions.

A shimmer of mirth appears in his eyes.

1LVhxwu.jpg
Oh THANK YOU! Brother, thank you! It's encouraging to finally meet someone in Arkham whose heart isn't made of stone.
fJs53PU.jpg
And I renounce my share. You need it more than I do.
1LVhxwu.jpg
Oh, heavenly brother, may God bless you. I had almost lost hope that such good people still existed in this town. I am eternally grateful.

He casts one final glance at his surroundings.

1LVhxwu.jpg
I'll be near the desecrated church in French Hill. I'll be safe there, it's abandoned. Now I must go, before they come for me. Please hurry sir. My life depends on it.

He scurries away into the night. Realizing the urgency of his plight, I decided to not delay and immediately entered the Old Eel House to retrieve the poor man's heirloom.

RK47

Patron
09 - The Old Man
7gYxeBH.jpg

qggMIUo.jpg

qBx5h5y.jpg
I get it, I get it. Cut it out, I said! Dawkins, I tell you one last time, if I ever hear your bloody voice again I'll break your damned pisspot of a bottle! Do ye hear me?! All of you!

The old man suddenly turns to me.

qBx5h5y.jpg
You're early cabin boy. Good. Sit down and drink some ale with me.
fJs53PU.jpg
Excuse me, who are you talking to? What's in the bag?
qBx5h5y.jpg
You mean in my bag here? No one of importance to ye, just the low life scum of the sea. Noden's lot, like me.

He hears something from the bag which upsets him.

qBx5h5y.jpg
How dare you! You hornswoggling bastard!
fJs53PU.jpg
Nodens?
qBx5h5y.jpg
"And upon dolphins' backs, on a vast calendar, shell wherein rode the grey Nodens, Lord of the Great Abyss..." You'll learn more about him in your time on deck, cabin boy.
qBx5h5y.jpg
You may even serve the needs of the God of the Great Deep, like I do. Nodens is not like those cold, tyrannical, unfeeling gods that rule this realm now. He finds purpose in mortals, although rarely... Shut yer trap, Peters!
fJs53PU.jpg
Look, I think you've mistaken me for someone else. I'm no cabin boy.
qBx5h5y.jpg
Have I? Or perhaps we're all in a ship, in a damned ship sailin' through the black, forsaken waters, eh? And that may make you a cabin boy, all right.

He turns towards his bag. Hurling another insult at it before turning back to me.

qBx5h5y.jpg
Uh, yes, the ship. Can its name be Arkham?

He smiles a toothless smile.

fJs53PU.jpg
Uh, right. (Another nut case.)

He resumes his dialog with the bag again.

qBx5h5y.jpg
Long Tom, just when I'd thought you came to your bloody senses... No, I'll be sitting here drinking my ale, or whatever this horsepiss is!

He turns back to me again.

qBx5h5y.jpg
Did you say something, cabin boy?
fJs53PU.jpg
Nothing, I was just leaving. Good bye.

A sudden vigilance burns in the old man's eyes.

qBx5h5y.jpg
Tell me then cabin boy, before you leave, why do ye follow the man who sails the whirlpools of reality?

How does he know?

fJs53PU.jpg
You mean the Dismal Man?
qBx5h5y.jpg
Dismal? Yes, that's bloody fitting. Now answer the question, cabin boy.

His voice has taken on a cold and intimidating tone.

fJs53PU.jpg
Because I believe he has answers to this mystery.
qBx5h5y.jpg
Perhaps he does. But ask yourself if those answers will actually make you feel better or worse than before?

He suddenly bends down to his bag.

qBx5h5y.jpg
What? Peters found another one? Good boy. All right, you'll have what you want. When? Whenever I decide to leave this rathole of a tavern of course! No one here is going anywhere.

Now is a good time to leave him.

J5hK5pY.jpg

k3o9zO7.jpg

RK47

Patron
10 - The Bank
ZBw2FH9.jpg

Reqy9F4.jpg

SJOVfno.jpg

drFhnIA.jpg

r5ENPT9.jpg

VCrcpiR.jpg

1xV5gUN.jpg

fFUaltv.jpg

LNcmko1.jpg
Hello, sir! How may I assist you? As you can see, this has been a very busy day. It looks like the Boom has finally come to Arkham. It's nice to see our little town thriving, don't you think?
fJs53PU.jpg
I wouldn't say thriving...
LNcmko1.jpg
Oh, you don't agree? But we are all free to express our opinions, right? That's what makes this country so, so...

His voice cuts off abruptly and he freezes in panic. He doesn't even blink. He looks almost like a living statue.

fJs53PU.jpg
You're really lost, aren't you?
LNcmko1.jpg
SOME MEN... ARE ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN ALIENABLE RIGHTS!
LNcmko1.jpg
Let me help you with your transaction, sir. May I see your credentials please?
fJs53PU.jpg
(Hm. I'll play along for now. See where this goes.) Uh.. will this suffice?

I showed him my Detective's License. He instantly grabs the object from my hand.

LNcmko1.jpg
Let me see. It says you're... A DESPOILER OF SECRET SINS.
LNcmko1.jpg
Here are your documents, sir. I hope they will aid you in the game of MISERY, PISS and SHIT!

He hands me a book and leaps over the counter. Behind him are multiple figures, fast approaching.

fJs53PU.jpg
What the-
gbSjwr2.jpg

RK47

Patron
11 - Triage
fZaIBKn.jpg

vXHMhjg.jpg

lQLENu0.jpg

DLqGEKd.jpg

NKjL1wg.jpg

iqf7UDH.jpg
A new customer, surprising. And just when I thougth I had finally run out of possibilities - I mean, business. You know our numbers aren't growing these days. Now tell old Richter what makes you tick. I rarely disappoint.

Judging from the presence of two burly mobsters, this guy is probably connected to the drug trade in the entirety of Arkham.

fJs53PU.jpg
What kind of medicines do you sell, Mr. Richter?
iqf7UDH.jpg
Ah, the kinds that people really need. Tell me what is absent in your world? Euphoria, relief, self-confidence? If I don't have the remedy already, I can make it in my little laboratory.
fJs53PU.jpg
I might be making big purchases from you. Shall we discuss a discount?
iqf7UDH.jpg
In my business, I rarely need to offer a discount. You can't put a price to happiness, know what I mean?
fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) Anything for sale has its price. Therefore prices should be open for negotiations, no?
iqf7UDH.jpg
A witty one, aren't you? So be it. We'll see how often you'll visit my shop. But don't expect discounted prices if you just come in here once in a while.
fJs53PU.jpg
You won't be disappointed. Show me your stock.
cMJDPjk.jpg

I can't afford his consumable drugs for now. Best to just rely on the doctor's bag to help healing while resting. The Psychologist pendulum looks handy. I'm thinking of using it to help Sam Rodney out of his trance.

r9POBxW.jpg

wBORKeI.jpg

Resting activity is fully dependent on the participants skills and items they have. They can also read books to recover lost sanity points. But specific book genre only appeals to specific mindsets. E.g a Rational man would love to read a medical journal but would have no compulsion to read porn.

Eduardo is a henchmen therefore he does not count in to the resting participants. But he's always there exclusively for combat purposes.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A devil cuck? I don't get it.

Funny, in French, a cuck is also someone with horns (well, going by 18-19th century vocabulary), but I don't know where this is coming from. Fun story, there's one marquis, who got cucked by Louis 14, who added horns to his coat of arms.

RK47

Patron
12 - Dreamland
Nj7wa8y.jpg

oQD7IDY.jpg

Amidst the cimmerian stillness, there stands a forlorn figure; barely present, but inescapably real. He seemed to be walking towards a certain house along the street before stopping to look at me.

fJs53PU.jpg
Who are you?
RVhjL1V.jpg
Me? Well, I am a dreamer, a wanderer perhaps. Just as you are. Why would you be here if you weren't?
fJs53PU.jpg
Is this... a dream?
RVhjL1V.jpg
In all likelihood, yes. But what if it's actually a nightmare instead?

He glances away.

RVhjL1V.jpg
But the real question revolves around you doesn't it? Perhaps you've been compelled to seek a memory which isn't yours at all.

His eyes darken.

RVhjL1V.jpg
You emanate a tragic aura, source of which is most dire.
fJs53PU.jpg
What about you? What do you seek?

A brief pause and his definitive answer cuts right through.

RVhjL1V.jpg
Inspiration. Know this wanderer. There will be a price to pay when you have no option but to cling to visions brim with unutterable horrors in order to procure your only means of subsistence, however maddening they may be.
fJs53PU.jpg
That sounds poetic. Are you an artist perhaps?
RVhjL1V.jpg
I won't grant an answer that easily. Knowledge of someone is a powerful thing and this premise applies even in dreams. But I'll offer you a chance since you've intruded my phantasy. I'll tell you of my journeys and you will tell me who I am.
RVhjL1V.jpg
Refraining from the pageantry of the mundane / A boy shall wander into the path of prophecy
RVhjL1V.jpg
Nebulous is the truth of all things future and past / Dwelling beyond the serpent's lair for none but for him to see
RVhjL1V.jpg
Only the forbidden he shall thereafter seek / Lurking in the labyrinths so forgotten and forlorn
RVhjL1V.jpg
Plagued will be those upon whom he shall touch / Hailed by the oblivion which they have forborne
RVhjL1V.jpg
Carried away to his phantasy on wings ethereal / A toilsome quest he shall embark upon so sedulously
RVhjL1V.jpg
Resplendence of his dreams however is not to remain / Thus the search for the Silver Key must begin duly
RVhjL1V.jpg
Exalted he will be in the deathless continuum, wild and free / Resigning from the world to embrace all that was and will ever be
RVhjL1V.jpg
Answer me then wanderer, who am I?

(Investigation) I examine him closely to deduce certain facts about him.

fJs53PU.jpg
Your hand have seen no hard labour. Rather tenuous, but not veiny.

A faint smile appears on his visage.

fJs53PU.jpg
Obtuseness on the tips of fingers... Typewriter?

His smile widens, almost turning into a smirk.

fJs53PU.jpg
It's most likely that you're an author.

He claps gently in admiration.

RVhjL1V.jpg
Well well, you've been keeping your eyes busy I reckon.
fJs53PU.jpg
Apparel indicates nobility. The abrasion marks however...

He arches his eyebrows in suspense.

fJs53PU.jpg
Perhaps worn for a long time with no means to replace them. Which hints that your financial situation could be worse than you'd like to show for.

He nods solemnly and puts on a thin smile.

RVhjL1V.jpg
You may not have solved my riddle, but instead you did better; You solved me, or a discernible part of me at least...
RVhjL1V.jpg
You seem to be endowed with the proper traits to guide you in the Dreamlands.
RVhjL1V.jpg
My name is Randolph Carter. Now if you excuse me, I must cover a long way to eternity.
fJs53PU.jpg
Randolph Carter? I met your wife, she's looking for you in Arkham.
yN494Cj.jpg

Fed5nml.jpg

RK47

Patron
13 - Breaking into the Bank
With our wounds mostly treated we resume our exploration into the Bank of Arkham.
Pistol and wrench in hand, I ordered the group to begin our attack.

X3GOgmi.jpg

ePeBoiH.jpg

Yet another curious note by the Bank Manager and his mysterious visitor.

xoP184E.jpg

0lah06h.jpg

htFieD8.jpg

RK47

Patron
14 - Claiming the Prizes
kgF1Ybh.jpg

ztgxUp6.jpg

vi8MbQi.jpg

yW4o7go.jpg

KaF4OQ2.jpg

IXyxLRx.jpg

rIltooS.jpg

pxJXAhm.jpg

EsH9oqO.jpg

WnsBvTA.jpg

Ugh. I have no idea. The halls of wisdom... could it be the Meskatonic University? But the entrance is sealed with rubble.

4A5H42r.jpg

detAE19.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Be my guest.

The Outsider takes the manuscript as delicately as his claw-like hands will allow and reads it carefully.

fJs53PU.jpg
What do you think is the scavenger of the seas?
5XGiNKA.jpg
A sea monster of some kind? I've read about all kinds of sea beasts in my dusty tomes, Gargantuan devils that can sink galleons with their feelers. Hunters of the dark waters, with razor sharp teeth.
fJs53PU.jpg
What about the bodiless star-farer?
5XGiNKA.jpg
I know there are celestial beings of great power journeying across the endless blackness. Could it be one of them?
fJs53PU.jpg
I know not. What about the drop of swarming chaos? What does it symbolize?
5XGiNKA.jpg
That is too vague to make a reasonable guess, stranger.
fJs53PU.jpg
The poem mentions the book that should not be read. Have you any inkling of such a book?
5XGiNKA.jpg
That puzzles me. Why should one seek a book that should not be read? Such knowledge is often followed by damnation.
fJs53PU.jpg
Where do you suppose we might find such a book?
5XGiNKA.jpg
The depiction resonates as a tome of the dark arts to me. You best seek out a native who is knowledgeable either in such artifacts or the occult itself to enlighten you further.
fJs53PU.jpg
I guess I'll talk to Isidore and see if he has any clue.
8W6I8pe.jpg

RK47

Patron
15 - Escape
5AxkNXR.jpg

S76pA2b.jpg

xGF5gd1.jpg

A tipsy, talkative blonde man leans against the bar. His reddish eyes roam the room as if searching for someone.

Tzhs14v.jpg
Sorry to bother you, sir, but may I ask a question?
fJs53PU.jpg
Go on.
Tzhs14v.jpg
I see you've just arrived at Marino's fine establishment, and I was curious whether you happened to see a rustic looking fellow hanging around outside?
fJs53PU.jpg
No, I didn't.
Tzhs14v.jpg
You didn't? Good. I must have been imagining his primitive gaze upon my back.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm Kalin Ibrahim. And you are?
Tzhs14v.jpg
Stanley Fredkin. I used to be a lecturer in the Literature Department at the Miskatonic, before committing wholly to my true intellectual passion, the study of folklore.
Tzhs14v.jpg
But we can talk more about me later. In the meantime, may I buy you a drink, sir?
fJs53PU.jpg
Sure.

He turns to Marino.

Tzhs14v.jpg
Some whiskey for this fine gentleman here. And not the usual rotgut you serve, real whiskey if you please.

Marino produces a bottle on the counter and pours a glass for the man. The man then takes a big sip before handing me the bottle.

Tzhs14v.jpg
Now, what were we talking about?
fJs53PU.jpg
Why are you looking for the rustic man?
Tzhs14v.jpg
I'm afraid he is the one who's looking for me. I've had some minor problems with my current employer. Nothing I can't resolve of course, but I suspect he may have sent that illiterate to find me.
fJs53PU.jpg
Who is this employer?
Tzhs14v.jpg
He is, uh... a foreign investor who is interested in my advice.
fJs53PU.jpg
You mentioned the Miskatonic. Did you mean the university on Main Street?
Tzhs14v.jpg
No, I meant the river! Don't people learn about major water bodies in school these days? Heh, forgive me. Sometimes the sarcastic Stanley takes hold. Yes, I used to work at the University.
Tzhs14v.jpg
It's no boast to say I was a mighty fine instructor during my time at the university. What a sad day it must be when the students learned that I had chosen the path of the wandering folklorist.
fJs53PU.jpg
What have you been studying lately?
Tzhs14v.jpg
Oh, I see I've aroused your interest! I've been known to have that effect on people. Being an intellectual inspiration and all.
Tzhs14v.jpg
To answer your question, I've been in Vermont recording the legends of the winged ones of the hills. A very profound topic indeed.
Tzhs14v.jpg
From Pennacook myths to the legends of Governor Wenthworth's colonial grants, you will find mention of these winged beings from the skies. Whispers of these creatures may be found even in the folklore of the distant Himalayas.
Tzhs14v.jpg
There must be a reason for these beliefs to be so widespread, right?
fJs53PU.jpg
And what do you suspect is the reason?
Tzhs14v.jpg
There are things I am willing to share for the benefit of the public good, and that isn't one of them.
fJs53PU.jpg
Very well. So you study folk tales?
Tzhs14v.jpg
Not just any folktale. New England folklore, to be specific. I'm sure you've heard of my book, "Kingsport Folk Tales." It was very well received in academic circles, and among more common readers too! You must at least have heard about it, right?

Isn't that...toilet paper?

fJs53PU.jpg
Actually, I did.

He looks surprised by that statement.

Tzhs14v.jpg
You did! Then you are aware of its significance as a pinnacle in cultural studies! Not only for New England, throughout the whole country! Or what's left of it...

That book is certainly interesting. Now that I think about it - I may have seen some of the folktales with my own eyes.

fJs53PU.jpg
Mr. Fredkin is there anything you'e not good at?
Tzhs14v.jpg
Other than the vulgar athletic disciplines? No, I don't believe so. I have always maintained that with a healthy brain, you can achieve anything. Remember these words, sir: always invest in your brain.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'll keep that in mind. Good bye Mr. Fredkin and nice to meet you.
Tzhs14v.jpg
So soon? All right, leave sir, your choice.

He gulps the remaining whiskey down. Plainly annoyed.

Tzhs14v.jpg
You're no different from the rest.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm sorry?
Tzhs14v.jpg
Can't you recognize a person of natural quality? Do I have to tell you that out of all these people, all these clueless illiterates, that *I*, Stanley Fredkin, have possibly discovered an escape from this hellhole! *I* was chosen!
fJs53PU.jpg
What are you talking about? Escape - from Arkham?

He suddenly came to his senses.

Tzhs14v.jpg
Uh, nothing. Nothing at all. Damn this vile whiskey of yours, Marino! I... I had better take my leave.

The man hurriedly leaves the Old Eel's.

mPYF6PB.jpg

Escape? Is it possible?

RK47

Patron
16 - The Woman in Green
CsYAybL.jpg

(Investigation) I managed to get a closer look at the picture and can confirm that the man on it is indeed the same man I saw in my dream.

fJs53PU.jpg
Excuse me miss, but I think I've met your husband.
UMl7OcC.jpg
You have? Please do tell.

Before I could speak, Marino interrupts.

EFTSfMc.jpg
A signora of high standards such as yourself shouldn't pay attention to a man who can barely pay for my services. Mr. "know it all" here probably wants to squeeze you, that's all.
fJs53PU.jpg
It's rude to interrupt, Marino.

Marino ignores me.

EFTSfMc.jpg
Well, uhm, forgive me signora. Allow me to serve you our finest liquor.

He pours whiskey from a bottle before continuing to talk.

EFTSfMc.jpg
His face... is very familiar actually, let me look at that picture again.

Marino continues to throw me a mean gaze, but the woman is still waiting for my answer.

UMl7OcC.jpg
So did you really see my Randolph?
fJs53PU.jpg
I saw him recently. In a dream of mine.

She looks perplexed but intrigued.

UMl7OcC.jpg
Then if I'm to believe you sir, you must provide some details about him.

I described the best I could. Wide chin, thin lips, and the worn silk jacket, green bow tie and vest. Her surprise confirming the accuracy of my description.

UMl7OcC.jpg
Well yes! Very accurate. He used to wear that for special occasions, just as he did to the journalists' convention where we met. So strange... were you acquainted with him before?
fJs53PU.jpg
Never. I don't believe so. We did converse in the dream.
UMl7OcC.jpg
So what was he doing, or where was he going? Did he tell you anything else apart from his name?

I will never forget his answer.

fJs53PU.jpg
Inspiration. He told me that he sought inspiration, whatever that may imply.

She shudders and her eyes become teary.

UMl7OcC.jpg
Just... just like he wrote in his last letter. Oh,... he's here. He must be alive then! How did he communicate with you? And why you instead of me?
fJs53PU.jpg
It all remains a mystery to me as well, Mrs Carter.
UMl7OcC.jpg
I'm Sonia H. Greene Carter. Thank you for sharing this with me. Mister...?
fJs53PU.jpg
My name is Kalin Ibrahim. Nice meeting you as well Sonia.
UMl7OcC.jpg
Can you help me find him then? There must have been a reason for Randolph to meet you. Would you be so kind to allow me to follow you and guide me to that house he was at?
fJs53PU.jpg
Of course, Sonia. I will be glad if I can be of any assistance.
UMl7OcC.jpg
Oh thank you, but I don't mean to derail you from your obligations, whatever they may be. Are you sure I won't be a drawback?
fJs53PU.jpg
Not at all, Sonia.
UMl7OcC.jpg
That's very courteous of you, Kalin. There's very little kindness left in this world.
gw7bmIq.jpg

RK47

Patron
17 - The Immaterial Girl
fgv6ukB.jpg

KgMlOoo.jpg

uJGIDZt.jpg
I can see that you're glancing towards this direction, sir. Perhaps we could turn this into a conversation? May I offer you a drink?
fJs53PU.jpg
Sure, why not?

She pours me a glass of whiskey. I drank it immediately.

uJGIDZt.jpg
I used to drink before the shoots to calm my nerves. Just the right amount of course. I guess my nerves need it constantly these days.
fJs53PU.jpg
Shoots? Are you an actress?
uJGIDZt.jpg
Oh, forgive me. I'm Clara Bell. Yes, I was an actress. You'd have probably known my name if things had gone right for once in my life. Heard of the movie "Hollow Hearts"?
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm afraid not.
uJGIDZt.jpg
Not a surprise. It was never released. The critics saw it though. I remember one of them, Bill Hunts, approaching me after the special screening, telling me "You've got it, Clara. You are a real star material!"
uJGIDZt.jpg
No need to add that he was drunk and flirty as a male baboon in mating season. Whatever, later, I had to time to think about what he had said to me, about this star material thing.
uJGIDZt.jpg
You know. I have an eternity to reflect upon these things. Star material. Why should I be some material after all?
fJs53PU.jpg
I agree. No human being can be seen merely as material.

Sanity gained : 2

uJGIDZt.jpg
I mean, I wanted to be an artist to defeat that notion in the first place! But you have to fit somewhere in their, I mean your world... Be a good wife or be good fun!
uJGIDZt.jpg
Oh, you're better than that? Be a good investment! All my life I wanted to be there, on the magazines, on the silver screen, all that jazz...
uJGIDZt.jpg
But you know, sometimes I can't help thinking that this...

She looks towards the gloom of the outside world.

uJGIDZt.jpg
...may actually be the better alternative. Because I would never have quitted going for the top myself.
fJs53PU.jpg
It sounds like you're trying very hard to be optimistic, Clara.
uJGIDZt.jpg
Good, this means I've achieved something after all. You do know that staying optimistic is a rare feat these days.
fJs53PU.jpg
So, what are you up to these days in Arkham?
uJGIDZt.jpg
Ah, I really wish I knew? It's a mystery to me as well. I was waiting for the release of "Hollow Hearts" at a hotel in LA when Bernie called, my manager. He wanted me to meet a private funder in Arkham.
uJGIDZt.jpg
So I hastily came to this forsaken place. I couldn't afford refusing such things you know. When I arrived at the train station Bernie was nowhere to be found. He was supposed to meet me there but he never came.
fJs53PU.jpg
That's unfortunate. Did you manage to see Bernie later?
uJGIDZt.jpg
No, never. Everything before the Black Day seems blurry now. Did he really call me that day or was it a dream? Did he ever arrive at Arkham?
fJs53PU.jpg
So, what did you do next?
uJGIDZt.jpg
I was too tired and confused. I decided to wait for Bernie here in Arkham for a few days so I headed to the Essex Hotel. Who could've said that it would be my new home for the rest of my life.

The now Mob-controlled Essex hotel? That's not normal.

fJs53PU.jpg
You can still afford staying there? What with the Dollar becoming obsolete and all...
uJGIDZt.jpg
Let's just say I've met the right people. You know it was never really about the money. Money is just another way to display power. Survive my childhood and you'll know.
fJs53PU.jpg
Why? What about your childhood?
uJGIDZt.jpg
Oh, you're a psychiatrist now? Forget it. Skeletons are better left in the closet.
fJs53PU.jpg
I see. Good bye.

Interesting woman. Maybe she has ties with the Mob to afford staying at the Essex. Something to think about. I've had enough of conversation for today. I signal to Marino that I want to make a purchase and flip open my box of cigarettes. It's time to make my way up the attic.

OQjpTPT.jpg

s7FFm0o.jpg

iIP8n3o.jpg

IB8oZfq.jpg

RK47

Patron
18 - Taking stock
Once we have rested enough, I take stock of our inventory.

z4GwYaw.jpg

EhSWHWc.jpg

The Outsider's basic spells come in three types: offensive projectile, a curse, and a self buff.

byZjgnS.jpg

eOF22JR.jpg

1dqS4vT.jpg

aUFHYHm.jpg

On the Scientific side, we have unlocked a blueprint and a formula. Think Arcanum's crafting and you probably got the gist of it.

ys2jcCC.jpg

0OtK5bT.jpg

And that's it. Before we move out, I showed Sonia the poem I found in the Bank's safe.

KTBpVoL.jpg

UMl7OcC.jpg
It reflects a devilish mischievousness which reminds me of Randolph's own crypticism that is so abundant in his works. It also seems to be written with a dense ink. Is it... blood?
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm not sure. Do you recognize anything in the verses? A place perhaps in Arkham?
UMl7OcC.jpg
Forgive me., I am a newcomer to Arkham as well.
fJs53PU.jpg
That's ok. Well, let's make a move before Marino charges us for overstaying.

RK47

Patron
19 - Sorry End
wt43FUz.jpg

n8NKfXa.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Ah, that egotistical man. We'll see.
QskKxEy.jpg

PTgg4DQ.jpg

Ql3PDoO.jpg

FvUeHLh.jpg

Brdla6p.jpg

hK4samQ.jpg

aKqZcLh.jpg

The man lies bleeding on the ground, as waves of agony convulse his body. He's not long for this world. He looks up as he heard my footsteps approach.

1LVhxwu.jpg
You- you've come! Thank the good lord... but my time is up, I'm afraid. Listen to me.
fJs53PU.jpg
I'm very sorry, friend. I found your watch. Here.
1LVhxwu.jpg
The watch.. is of no use to me anymore. I've lived for and about to die for my convictions. But... I don't regret it. I was tired of living like a rat anyway.

He coughs up blood.

1LVhxwu.jpg
Keep it. But promise me this: You're going to use it for something you believe in.
fJs53PU.jpg
I.. I'll do what I can. You have my word.

With his dying breath he struggles to utter his last words, but his broken body has had enough. With a quiver that lasts but a moment, he finally dies.

fJs53PU.jpg
Rest in peace, my friend.
shBI6dm.jpg

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
20 - Need a hand
3Izkz1u.jpg

8slsjfD.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
I'm afraid it snapped in two when I used it.
dIrKDCS.jpg
You lie! We had a deal!
fJs53PU.jpg
Calm down, Isidore. Here. See it for yourself.

I handed him the other half of the key. The number 0 is still clearly legible. A look of utter dejection fills his face.

dIrKDCS.jpg
Ah...it's true. Such a waste. I'll have to adjust my notes on the pattern. Why.. please leave me be.
fJs53PU.jpg
Forgive me, Isidore, I require another moment of your time. I did retrieve something else from the Bank. This statuette. What do you know of it?

I carefully places it on the counter. Isidore pushes his glasses up over to his eyes and takes a closer look. A lack of enthusiasm apparent in his eyes. This is no key. It will not bring him one step closer to his salvation.

dIrKDCS.jpg
It looks like a rendition of one of the deities that the Cult worships.
fJs53PU.jpg
Oh? Which one? Do you have its name?
dIrKDCS.jpg
No...but I've seen a crude totem similar to this one on Riverside. The art style is peculiar though. I cannot attribute it to any culture I know of, and I cannot say that I enjoy its presence.
fJs53PU.jpg
The Riverside? Are you talking about that Grandfather Statue?

Isidore ignores my question and starts waving away the statuette.

dIrKDCS.jpg
Take it away, sir. I don't want anything related to that bloody cult in my shop.
fJs53PU.jpg
Alright then. By the way, I may have some keys for trade.

His eyes lit up immediately as I drop a bunch of keys I collected from the Bank onto the counter.

dIrKDCS.jpg
Nice. Very nice. I'll take them. No one else will. Let me remind you that. What would you like for them? Cigs? Or in exchange for one of my antiques perhaps?

It's hard to tell what artifact to trade for. There's a phylactery containing a blood of the saint, claiming to protect its owner from bleeding. Glasses that helps one in studying the occult. While a pendulum claims to possess the power to read minds. And a curious pouch that enhances the owner's trading profits.

After a lot of thinking I decided upon something else entirely.

qQl1LeJ.jpg

In the end, I parted with the dead man's valuable heirloom other keepsakes and a bunch of keys. I gingerly placed my purchase into one of my coat pockets. Just to see if anything has changed.

79kJNQH.jpg

dIrKDCS.jpg
Nice doing business with you. Come back again when you have more keys.
fJs53PU.jpg
Likewise, Isidore. Farewell.

I leave the store, hand gripping my set of lockpicks.

oOXyDGR.jpg

j6xDHh8.jpg

SdQiQe0.jpg

And maybe I can raid the bank's locked strongboxes.

RK47

Patron
21 - The Stabber
amSqSKZ.jpg

sZCCuSt.jpg

2fee41O.jpg

kH19xEn.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
What happened here?
NCermd0.jpg
The Stabber has killed again!
fJs53PU.jpg
Who?
NCermd0.jpg
The Arkham Stabber! Where have you been living, sir? I think this is the third victim! All butchered, stabbed until they end up like poor Julian here.
fJs53PU.jpg
Julian? You know the victim?

He shakes his head.

NCermd0.jpg
Not really. But he's not a bad fellow. Used to stay at the Essex. He didn't deserve such fate. Nobody deserves to die like this.
fJs53PU.jpg
Is there anything you can tell me about this Arkham Stabber?
NCermd0.jpg
No one knows who he is. Even the Mob can't catch him. Some says he is a demon, others speculate he is a loonie, of the worst kind.
fJs53PU.jpg
How do you know the Stabber is a he?
NCermd0.jpg
I don't! Could be a she! Would only be fair after what those brutes did to all the-

He stopped after realizing he's standing next to the Mob-controlled Essex Hotel.

NCermd0.jpg
Never mind. I better go!
7kohwau.jpg

XpFzRxi.jpg

cIkfBSa.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
What did you say?
Wl7m4W8.jpg

qqi0cnI.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
Don't you remember anything?
LKwRVrp.jpg
W-what? I don't remember anything! What did I do?
fJs53PU.jpg
You were saying some kind of omen.
LKwRVrp.jpg
I don't understand. I was just walking towards the Riverside and then...

A sudden thought makes the man shudder and he begins to compulsively rub his palm against his filthy shirt.

LKwRVrp.jpg
I- I better go before they accuse me of being the Stabber!
ZRTWYWf.jpg

fJs53PU.jpg
It'd take a high quality blade to accomplish this feat. Could there be multiple assailants?
fJs53PU.jpg
Motive doesn't seem to be robbery. Multiple hits could imply defensive wounds, but it doesn't look like the victim had a chance to even defend himself.
fJs53PU.jpg
Whoever or whatever attacked it wanted to make sure he's dead. Only lead is the victim's name and his last place of stay is the Essex Hotel. Hmm...what else?
fJs53PU.jpg
The symbol drawing may indicate a supernatural nature of the killing. A disturbing episode that was.

I sighed. This town's starting to gnaw away at my sanity. I look up at the two Mobsters casually chatting by the crime scene.

Zdi2Shn.jpg

EVXzerv.jpg
Uh, Corley, it seems the stabber sent another fella to the big sleep. Should I bring word to the Face?
x6P4ZxX.jpg
You get paid to be this dumb, Marlon? Does this guy look like one of us to you?
EVXzerv.jpg
Uh, no Corley.
x6P4ZxX.jpg
Then think about it. Is it really necessary to take this to the Face ourselves? Don't you remember how mad the boss when that gum-shoe Wilkins failed to find that psycho stabber?

The burly one struggles to compute the information.

EVXzerv.jpg
Wilkins? You mean that fatso detective whose arm we cut off? The one staying at the Eel?
x6P4ZxX.jpg
See, you can be smart when you need to. Then you must have been there when the boss got hot under the collar after that idiot told the boss that he needed more time to find out who the Stabber is.
EVXzerv.jpg
Lemme think... yeah, Corley. The boss got real mad that day. Uh-huh. So do I take the word to him or not?

The other mobster sighs.

x6P4ZxX.jpg
Marlon, sometimes I wish I was a fucking wall, you know. Like that one over there. A simple, unpainted, indifferent brick wall.
EVXzerv.jpg
A wall? Why's that Corley?
x6P4ZxX.jpg
So that I could simply be, without needing to comprehend your bullshit, Marlon! Look... I plan not to be around when the boss learns that the stabber is still on a rampage.
x6P4ZxX.jpg
And you better do the same. He's not one of us anyway, so who gives a crap? Let's beat it, Marlon.

He turns to leave, only to notice me standing nearby.

x6P4ZxX.jpg
What the fuck are you looking at, sheep?
fJs53PU.jpg
Nothing, I'm just here to check on the murder.
x6P4ZxX.jpg
Mind your own business.
fJs53PU.jpg
Excuse my curiosity, but let's say I overheard a few things.
x6P4ZxX.jpg
Oh you did, did you? You know what kind of sheep get cut first? The ones that make too much noise. Now are you one of those sheep? Or are you one of the good sheep, the kind, you know, that live longer?

There's a mixture of intimidation and fear in his speech. I can deduce that he doesn't know anything else about the murder - but what is it that he fears? Ah...I see.

fJs53PU.jpg
(Speechcraft) Perhaps I'm a sheep with connections in the right place. If you're smart, I think we can keep this little scene between ourselves.

The mobster weighs me with his eyes before turning to his friend.

x6P4ZxX.jpg
Marlon, throw the sheep ten cigs.
EVXzerv.jpg
Me again? But I'm almost broke, Corley! I paid your debts in the last game, remember?
x6P4ZxX.jpg
A small price compared to the one I'm paying to endure your company, Marlon. Now shut up and pay the sheep.

The burly one handed me his cigs.

fJs53PU.jpg
Saw nothing, heard nothing.

The mobster comes disturbingly close and looks at me right in the eye.

x6P4ZxX.jpg
If I ever hear about this, I'll make sure you won't be taking pleasure from anything for the rest of your life. Know what I mean?
fJs53PU.jpg
Yeah, I think I do. Goodbye.

They fear their Boss more than anything. I guess my next stop would be the Essex. The statue can wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom