Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Styx: Master of Shadows - Of Orcs & Men stealth spinoff(!)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Poland you can now buy a boxed version of this (no idea if Steam-locked) for around $12.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully it doesn't self the destruct every time I try to launch the game while being in the final mission.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some of youse guise thought it was delightful when the journos hated Alien: Isolation, but they ended up being right as far as I'm concerned.

This seems different though. Will check out during a lull.

And that lull was recently.

I was really impressed with the large and nonlinear level design, not to mention the variety in environments, and kept wondering what the catch was (this was made by Eurotrash after all). I received my answer halfway through when they ran out of budget and had me backtrack through all those levels. Guess I could have spoiled that for myself had I paid more attention to this thread.

I liked the string quartet soundtrack. This kind of music should be used more often (see also Arcanum). I also liked how they used paintings with voice-over since they didn't have the budget for fully-animated cutscenes. That should be done more often as well.

Everyone wasn't kidding when they talked about the clunky combat. Good thing they only force it on you thrice, but that's three times too many.

The dialogue was lousy and I wasn't fond of how they intentionally made the in media res beginning confusing for the sake of their plot twist. I was pretty surprised when I found out that not only is the lead writer a conformist (there aren't even any women in this game [I'm sure she'd justify it by citing budget] and none of the men have anything approaching what one would call a progressive attitude), Arkane was so impressed with her work on this title that they decided they also wanted her on board to sabotage Dishonored 2 alongside Ellison.

I'm being harsh, but this was an impressive first attempt at a stealth game from a European developer known for shoveling ware. Worth the time and discounted price.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exquisite trolling.
By the way, you're wrong about the floating skulls. I never got hit or needed to use up a clone on them. There's an aural tell they have when they're locked in to explode, and you roll, drop from the ledge, or jump away as soon as you hear it and you're fine.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, you're wrong about the floating skulls. I never got hit or needed to use up a clone on them. There's an aural tell they have when they're locked in to explode, and you roll, drop from the ledge, or jump away as soon as you hear it and you're fine.
Yeah, the skulls are very easy to avoid.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

You might be a genius. Or full of shit !? I cannot decide which one.

I'm being harsh, but this was an impressive first attempt at a stealth game from a European developer known for shoveling ware. Worth the time and discounted price.

The game is bad and your are just trolling because ... something something. But you are right about something, the game is shovel ware.

Beowulf

Arcane
So what is the general consensus? Is it worth giving a try for one that like sneaking to play until you hit level repeats?
I've seen some gameplay videos but it looked a little too much on the action side to my liking. But those were promotional videos, and those always lie.
Can you go sneaky-beaky like ghosting the levels, or do you have awesome action moments?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what is the general consensus? Is it worth giving a try for one that like sneaking to play until you hit level repeats?
I've seen some gameplay videos but it looked a little too much on the action side to my liking. But those were promotional videos, and those always lie.
Can you go sneaky-beaky like ghosting the levels, or do you have awesome action moments?

It is worth it if you like to be a sneaky bastard, just don't forget to play in goblin difficulty which means you're dead as soon as as guards engage you in melee.
You can ghost the whole damn game. (excluding them bugs) It gets a bit repeative after a while though because of level recylcing. You have to traverse some older levels. They'll have different guard routines and minor changes but mostly the same maps after a while.

Beowulf

Arcane
It is worth it if you like to be a sneaky bastard, just don't forget to play in goblin difficulty which means you're dead as soon as as guards engage you in melee.
You can ghost the whole damn game. (excluding them bugs) It gets a bit repeative after a while though because of level recylcing. You have to traverse some older levels. They'll have different guard routines and minor changes but mostly the same maps after a while.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess that it will be in my next steam sale/bargain bin purchase.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The recycled levels aren't bad, just disappointing in the level reuse. They're definitely more demanding than the first four.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well he's right

I don't remember loading times being long though. I guess that was just the peasant version.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing thru this and having a blast. Finding the tokens is p. damn fun and levels are impressively open.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
just picked this up on sale on steam. it was like $5.75 or something.

it's enjoyable so far

it feels like a game from a previous generation, in a good way. I JUST started though. just got the clone ability. so it's very early. But so far I think it shows promise.

the combat seems shitty but why the fuck would I care about in depth combat when the whole objective is to avoid combat in the first place? It doesn't need to even be included for me to enjoy the game

picked the game up because the sequel is coming and I am sure it will be even better

Ivan

Arcane
one of those weird games i dropped halfway through, picked up and realized how short the game is, especially conisdering it recycles all of its four levels. lulz

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i bought this at discounted price and it's one of the best purchase i made recently.
i didnt reach already the point where levels are repeating, but having a blast so far.
the game is open, level have multiple paths, ai is not that bad, ghosting gives you that sweet sweet adrenaline if you manage to do it without savescumming each 2 minutes ( but don't feel bad doing so because the game is hard on goblin difficulty)
if you like stealth games playing this is a must.
once i finish this i might think of buying the sequel

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I should like this game, and yet I don't. Because in theory it is a stealth game with open levels and difficult combat. I love such games. I revere Thief. However, this game does a lot aspects wrong. In fact, the longer I played the more I realized it's actually not the kind of game I enjoy.

First of all, it's not really a stealth game. It's a half stealth and half platforming game. With terrible controls, especially in the platforming part. I usually died because I jumped wrong - a milimetre or two from where I was supposed to, or it turned out that the goblin cannot hold onto that object, even though he dangles on many similar.

Second, the AI is extremely predictable and dumb. That's a problem with many stealth games, but this is extreme version. So many years have passed since the first Thief, and the AI seems even dumber than there. It's not that this game is easy, but AI feels too much like a robot. Hivemind robot, because if one sees you, everybody on the entire planet knows where you are.

Third, inconsistency. Jump 5 meters down on a carpet or walk right behind a guard and he doesn't notice you. Throw some sand nearby, and he's hunting you down.

Finally, lack of controls over the goblin. I guess his short legs can't run, but why do I get locked onto an enemy if he discovers me? Why can't I even attempt to hide? And again, why jumping is so frustrating and I fall to death even on easiest of obstacles because I aimed camera slightly different...

Overall, weak and frustrating platformer-stealth mix. However, 90% of the reviews on Steam are positive, so maybe something's wrong with me? But I did not enjoy the 4-5 hours I spent in this game.

kreight

What I would like to know is the story behind this french movie Elle. The strong woman was the head of a video game company making the Styx video game. It does have some weird french shit in it. How did that happen?

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Most people probably didn't finish it. The game gets noticeably worse in the second half.
True, but same (esp. not finishing the game) can be said almost universally — people abandon games and rarely finish them, achievement statistics prove that. And devs know that, thus they usually focus on early parts of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i was perusing my steam library and found out i had this despite not even remember buying it.

I think i'm gonna give it a go as i wanted something slow and relaxing after doing my Sekiro run.

Question: can you paly without Display of Detection and Display of Objectives on?

I am of course playing at Goblin difficulty.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just played a little bit. Interesting atmosphere, but the AI is a bit too easy to cheese methinks:

All i did was make some noise to lure them for a stealth kill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom