Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sue Bethesda/Zenimax to regain Fallout IP?

flabbyjack

Arcane
So, Bethsoft acquired the Fallout IP through illegitimate legal maneuverings. Since they forced Interplay into a corner by flooding them with lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit, it is reasonable that Bethsoft(Zenimax) could be counter-sued... even if Interplay has signed agreements stating they will not counter-sue.

In America, you can sue anyone for any reason. Even when the judge ruled that Bethsoft must cease and desist and not present the case again, Bethsoft simply changed a word in the lawsuit filing and sued Interplay again. That was the tipping point. That's the kind of shit that happens when you have scummy Zenimax corporate lawyer sleazebags that are on retainer, whereby they get paid regardless if they do anything useful that quarter.

Please recall that the agreement between Bethsoft and Interplay was to license Fallout 3, but if Interplay did not start working on a Fallout game (hint: they did) then Bethsoft would get the entire Fallout IP.
(https://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/bethesda-settles-all-fallout-ip-related-lawsuits/)

The 2012 agreement reached between Interplay and Bethsoft basically said that Bethsoft was the true original owner of Fallout and Interplay had no right to make a Fallout MMO, which they had subcontracted out to Masthead Studios.

I think its about time we pass the hat around to sue Bethsoft and get the Fallout IP back where it belongs. With Bethsoft doing what it had done, and what they have done to the Fallout IP, I think we stand a pretty good chance of convincing a judge that Zenimax had thrown money at the issue to force financial distress upon Interplay owners and then milked the IP that someone else was the legitimate owner of, inflicting damage on the IP because now the Fallout community hates Fallout.

PS - Brian Fargo is considering buying Interplay.

Codex Year of the Donut
So, Bethsoft acquired the Fallout IP through illegitimate legal maneuverings
Where did you get this idea from?
Interplay tried to re-obtain the IP after selling it to Bethesda by claiming the TLA was invalid because the definitions in it were vague therefore the APA is invalid and by this logic Interplay still owns the IP.
Shockingly, the court didn't buy it.

With Bethsoft doing what it had done, and what they have done to the Fallout
Yeah, Interplay was definitely taking it in the right direction it should have gone.
image.png

Xeon

Augur
I don't think it matters much anymore, I think only time it mattered is when Troika tried to buy the rights or something and couldn't, that kinda sucked.

Now even if someone else buys it, they will most likely follow Bethsda's example of Follout since that's what sold or something. If someone tries to make an FNV like it will probably be The Outer World like instead.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You do want new Fallout Games being made by Interplay located Comiefornia current Anno Satani 2019 year and staffed fully by fat dykes and soy-men? Say what you want about Bethpizda but their games can be at least modded onto something fun to play.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Interplay never would have done anything good with it. At least through Bethesda we got New Vegas, which is way the fuck better than whatever Interplay would have shit out.

Xeon

Augur
Can Brian Fargo really buys another Studio now that he is under Microsoft? I would have thought he can't do anything without Microsoft's say so.

Zer0wing

Cipher
You do want new Fallout Games being made by Interplay located Comiefornia current Anno Satani 2019 year and staffed fully by fat dykes and soy-men? Say what you want about Bethpizda but their games can be at least modded onto something fun to play.
Fallout 4 can't - no good story mods, since the content itself is a biggest gripe.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, tried playing FO4 several times with different mods since people praised the DLCs but I just couldn't bring myself to play it for long. Still really loved Frost, it pretty much overhauls the game into a survival with no story or character or anything, just survive for as long as you can. That was pretty fun so at least there is that thanks to mods.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ah yes, the VB demo. To be perfectly honest I never really (visually) liked what I saw from the demo. I always wanted it to be make in the old engine. To me it's fine even to this day.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's all meaningless unless the guys that can write go back to writing, or some new blood comes along that can write like they did 'back in the day'.

Yes, I'm being negative.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Begone from these hallowed halls, harbinger of decline.
Keep telling yourself that, neckbeard. This is the place that gave Fargo the jew-bux for making his shit games and gave his shit games good reviews because of your new Doritos Pope, cuckdweller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom