Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest a SoZ party for me!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
After wrestling with the camera and clunky controls for a bit I think I'm getting the hang of NWN 2, after, oh, a few years.
Thing is, there's as many as twelve base classes and a buttload of PRCs in that game and I'm only going to have 4 slots for my core party so it's been tough coming up with a fun and sort of balanced party.

Now I know I can't go wrong with a tanky-fighter type, a Rogue, a Wizard and a Cleric but I wouldn't mind trying out all these to me unfamiliar classes, like Spirit Shaman, Favored Soul, Warlock or Swashbuckler. I'm having trouble fitting them into a 4-man party, though.

I don't really need any 3.5 mechanics coaching and I'm not looking to trivialize the game by powering through it with some min-maxed uber-party but I would love some ideas for a themed party that incorporates some of the new classes/PrCs while maintaining core competencies.

Preferably I'd have 1 Wizard, 1 guy who can take care of traps & locks & stealing, 1 fighter-type and 1 healer/buff-y type of character but since there's so much choice I'd love to hear your suggestions for parties, or just listen to what parties you played the game with and what your experience was like.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dwarf Fighter
Dwarf Wizard
Dwarf Rogue
Dwarf Cleric

Crichton

Prophet
I've only completed the game with one party, a group of dwarven holy men:

Dwarven Monk
Dwarven Paladin
Dwarven Cleric (strength, earth)
Dwarven Favored Soul

All lawful good worshipers of Tyr.

Any stealthy class seems to work for an overland map leader, nothing locked or trapped that was worth bringing a rogue along for, you might as well just do your thing.

I've made some progress with a party of neutral good spellcasters following Lurue instead,

Dwarven Bard
Dwarven Cleric (strength, healing)
Dwarven Druid
Dwarven Wizard(X)/Fighter(1)/Eldrich Knight(10)

This gives you basically every available spell (barring a couple Paladin-only spells), the bard provides stealth and a lot of useful "inspirations", particularly the regeneration one. The lack of pure warriors makes it a little bit of a slow starter, but I think it'll come through in the end. I've only found one useful 0% ASF shield so far (I've found another one that seems to be bugged) but I'm hoping that there's a 2nd one out there somewhere so that both the bard and the EK can have one. The EK is currently getting by with Samarach Patrol Armor + random two-handed weapon.

My party of nature-themed Yuan-ti (Barbarian, Ranger, Druid, Spirit Shaman) was kind of a flop due to ECL. Maybe it would have worked out if i persevered, but they had so few hitpoints for so long, I just couldn't deal with it.

If I ever finish my Lurue-spellcaster playthrough, I have a few other ideas:

Pure Warriors:
Barbarian
Ranger
Fighter/Rogue(3)/Dwarven Defender
Paladin

(dunno if they could really handle the endgame but if I've read the SoZ crafting rules right, the Paladin and Ranger should be able to craft uber-weapons, which is half the battle)

Sacred Fists:
Monk/Cleric/Sacred Fist (strength, healing)
Monk/Cleric/Sacred Fist (fire, healing)
Monk/Cleric/Sacred Fist (war, strength)
Monk/Druid/Sacred Fist

The Sacred Fist is pretty shitty compared to a pure cleric or druid (give up 3 spellcasting levels and get a collection of fuck all in return) but they play a little differently so it might be interesting. The obvious achilles' heel is damage reduction, low spellcaster level won't help either, but you'd have lots of magic to try to get around these things and fantastic saving throws.

Wyrmlord III

Formerly Hot Rod Todd Howard
What do you think of this, Jasede?

Yuan-ti Ranger/Bard
Earth Genasi Fighter/Weaponmaster
Aasimar Paladin/Divine Champion
Svirfneblin Rogue/Monk
Gray Orc Cleric/Warpriest

The Yuan-ti's high Intelligence and Charisma will make him useful for skill checks as a Bard, while still retaining some Ranger fighting abilities, especially with the high Dexterity.

Your Svirfneblin Rogue/Monk can get invisible, run behind enemy lines and punch enemy spellcasters with nasty sneak attacks, while his high DEX and WIS will mean he never gets hit.

Your Earth Genasi will simply weather a lot of damage like its nothing, being just rock.

Your Aasimar Paladin/Divine Champion can combine the damage reduction, increased sacred attack rolls, increased divine damage, and increased saving throws of the Divine Champion with the immunity to fear and disease of the Paladin. He can also turn undead.

Your Gray Orc (high STR and high WIS) will provide Endure Elements to the party, use Conviction to empower the party, and still lend a hand in a fight as a Warpriest.

Captain Shrek

Well.

Don't play the pussy difficulty. Which means most fancy dressers are out. What you need is a tight knit group early on. Later your wizard will have everything for breakfast.

The way the game is supposed to be played is with a Ranger lead. So probably PC should be a ranger.
There should be at least one healer since the game has little options for easy rest (not really).
Without a wizard or a full DC cleric you can NOT finish the game on harcore without farming on snakebreed and leveling to epic. Or at least without exploits of some sort.
Then get a good party rogue.

To talk through some of the portions of the game:
1) Give Wizard the ASoC and RW specs (human), so he can use Intimidate, bluff or diplomacy. He should be rolling in SPs anyway.
2) Give the Rogue bluff or intimidate or taunt to complement the above.
3) You might consider giving the Cleric some Diplomacy if he has any SPs left though I doubt that.

Captain Shrek

Also.

Scouting this game with invisible stealthy characters only works well in the last level and there woo with the correct spell.

catfood

AGAIN
When I played it I made an all genasi party:

Earth Genasi fighter (or maybe barbarian, I can't remember) for tanking
Water Genasi druid for healing and misc skills such as survival
Air Genasi wizard/rogue/arcane trickster as a skill monkey plus some buffs
Fire Genasi warlock for DPS

I ended up taking a ranger cohort the first chance I got since their skills are just too god for the overland map.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can actually not create a party at all and rely entirely on NPCs.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just make sure at least ONE of your characters has put a LOT of points into Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Survival....essentially all of the things which will keep the overland map from becoming a total fucking headache. I did this with my main character (Rogue) and used 3 of my own creations. Those being a female human Fighter, a drow Warlock, and a Grey Orc Barbarian. I then let Soraevora (Favored Soul) join the party when I met her.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Rely on them for bonus XP from OOM?
this was the only real good thing in so for me and one of the only real valid evil options in an rpg ever. evil being a shortcut to power, not demanding extra pay, or just mindless slaughter.

thanks or the ability boni, one of many. you are a b- uh, a bunch of bros.

as far as character builds: go with what you want, as long as it involves a dude that has a high survival and hide/move s- what twinkie said.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Get a Rogue/Ranger protagonist and max Survival, Search, Spot and Lore. It will make navigating the worldmap much easier and will let you find all the hidden stuff. You can take Hide/Move Silently if you prefer to avoid random encounters.

Avoid the +2 and +3 level adjustment races. They will lag behind in terms of skills and feats and the bonus attributes are usually not worth it, except maybe for Spell Resistance. Also, don't make a druid character. You can get a druid NPC in the very first town.

Captain Shrek

Get a Rogue/Ranger protagonist and max Survival, Search, Spot and Lore. It will make navigating the worldmap much easier and will let you find all the hidden stuff. You can take Hide/Move Silently if you prefer to avoid random encounters.

Avoid the +2 and +3 level adjustment races. They will lag behind in terms of skills and feats and the bonus attributes are usually not worth it, except maybe for Spell Resistance. Also, don't make a druid character. You can get a druid NPC in the very first town.

To be optimum, there is no need to make him Rogue. Rogue should be a focus character in the party, although admittedly there is nothing remarkable about loot or traps for Rogues. Just that you take the AB down with such a mix and the benefit from Sneak is useless where it counts the most i.e bosses who are typically immune to critical hits/ sneaks.

J1M

Arcane
Create a party of charismatic assholes.

All of your characters with charisma as their primary stat.

-Bard
-Sorcerer
-Paladin (remember, charisma as primary stat, so not exactly a traditional build)
-Warlock (perhaps into Blackguard)

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Create a party of charismatic assholes.
-Paladin (remember, charisma as primary stat, so not exactly a traditional build)

Actually, a charisma focused Paladin (or Blackguard) using Divine Might is one of the most powerful builds in NWN2.

For example, with a charisma modifier of +10 or better, he'll deal 10 points of divine damage (cannot be resisted) on each hit for 1 turn. His saves will be sky-high too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, Divine Might combined with Aura of Glory + Eagle's Splendor were the shit during low-level NWN 1 PVP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom