Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden I&II HD Remaster Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
NANI?!? :shredder:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/konami-has-announced-genso-suikoden-1-hd-remaster/

At TGS 2022, Konami announced an HD remaster of the first Suikoden game, Genso Suikoden. The original game came out in 1995 on the 32-bit Playstation console. However, and contrary to other Konami games, this JRPG never found its way to PC.

In order to celebrate this announcement, Konami has aired the game’s announcement trailer. Konami also showcased this HD remaster during a special event. From what we could see, the game retains its 2D sprites.

Although Konami has not revealed the platforms for which this HD remaster will come out, we can assume that it will be also coming to PC.

UPDATE:​

Konami has launched the Steam page for Suikoden I&II HD Remaster Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars. As such, Konami will be offering HD remasters of both Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2.

Here are their key features:

• All background illustrations have been upgraded to HD
  • Updated effects breathe new life into the pixel art animation
  • New environmental sounds effects to immerse yourself in this fantasy world
  • Battle SFX are also now HD and add a new level of realism
  • Newly added auto-save
  • Battle Fast Forward
  • Conversation Log

Aesthetically looks terrible. A typical JRPG "remaster". Just emulate the original with whichever CRT Royale filter you prefer.

6ecHEix.png

Terra

Cipher
WTF is happening Japan? Sure, you're years late but you're finally putting the games on the right platforms and the past few days has been crazy. Will keep a eye on this, doesn't look too bad to my eye compared with the originals.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I need to see more direct comparison images, but it seems like they tried to organically expand wherever possible in terms of art update.

1663331499805518.jpg

Terra

Cipher

S2 Neclord battle & a little bit of the castle interior.

Star Dragon Sword is now Celestial Sword? Complete relocalisation maybe?

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned

S2 Neclord battle & a little bit of the castle interior.

Star Dragon Sword is now Celestial Sword? Complete relocalisation maybe?

Damn, this looks like they actually made an effort to make the remaster look good and clean. Unlike some of Square-Enix's attempts were it looks cheap (FF Pixel Remaster) or overusing graphical filters to make it look "HD" (Live-a-Live).

Poseidon00

Arcane
It just looks like Suikoden made in RPG Maker to me, tbh. You know what would be nice? If they made a new, GOOD entry in one of these series rather than making yet another rerelease of what you can already get.

I don't know why, in all respects it is merely above average, but Suikoden 2 was one of the best RPG experiences I ever had as a teen.

Derringer

Prophet
Unreal Engine 4 Switch and PC asset swap port #xxx

WTF is happening Japan? Sure, you're years late but you're finally putting the games on the right platforms and the past few days has been crazy. Will keep a eye on this, doesn't look too bad to my eye compared with the originals.
UE4 ports are selling enough to warrant a few people to backport games to it for easy money.

Last edited:

Palomides

Augur
I'm conflicted. I'd like to support this, but I can't say I like what I've seen thus far. The new art looks empty and shallow comparatively (in my opinion), and the UI and new font, etc looks a bit characterless. We will see how a re-translation goes, but I already saw Nanami using the infamous 'huh' translators love to throw into dialogue these days.

Looking forward to seeing if !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remains.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I would say that Suikoden 1-2 have aged quite well and Suikoden 3 would benefit more from remaster

Still Suikoden 2 is my favorite jrpg so going to buy it unless they butcher it

Also that Neclord fight made me irrationally angry :argh: Using 2 full party heal and 2 single target heal same turn even when 1 full party heal was enough and Victor using fire wall

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Aesthetically looks terrible. A typical JRPG "remaster". Just emulate the original with whichever CRT Royale filter you prefer.

Dude, tweak your fucking preset, that looks like absolute garbage. The default CRT-Royale shader is made for 4K resolutions, stop using it on anything lower unless you know what you're doing. That shit looks fucking terrible.

Imagine saying the remaster looks terrible and then you present that garbage.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Hopefully it is easier to mod. These games could be elevated to something much much better gameplay-wise if the difficulty was more challenging.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Too many low effort remakes. This looks like garbage with the low res sprites on HD 3D backgrounds. Either redo the sprites as well or keep the resolution consistent. Octopath Traveler and Live A Live remake did this and they look amazing. If they charge more than a couple of bucks for this I won't buy it.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I really hate the trend of the modern remakes where the ui and character portraits look like they are from a different era.
It sticks out way too much.

CRT TVs are great for playing older games. Even emulated. I do that with an old PC hooked up to a CRT in my kids game room. But CRT filters without exception look like absolute shit and you should not be proud of your screenshots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom