Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Summer Daze - light-hearted Hero-U mini-sequel

Boleskine

Arcane

Funding has slowed down quite a bit since the original boom, which is not unexpected. However it seems that when you take out the die hard Sierra loyalists who are still keeping up with the old vets, there isn't much interest otherwise for yet another cartoon-style visual novel game. This campaign will probably require the day one backers to double dip into their savings to help the Coles cross the finish line.

DnjphZ1.png

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Sad to say I genuinely hope this doesn't get funded. Maybe the Coles have learned from the development fiasco for the first game and maybe they haven't, but if this is the direction they're pursuing then their fanbase is going to end up as a handful of nostalgic sympathizers rather than fans. It's just undignified. Better they retain meaningful employment and spit out games like this in their spare time.

Boleskine

Arcane
Sad to say I genuinely hope this doesn't get funded. Maybe the Coles have learned from the development fiasco for the first game and maybe they haven't, but if this is the direction they're pursuing then their fanbase is going to end up as a handful of nostalgic sympathizers rather than fans. It's just undignified. Better they retain meaningful employment and spit out games like this in their spare time.

Your hope may very well become a reality.

Their update from yesterday about doing some contests and giveaways received 12 likes and 1 comment. The associated video has 134 views on youtube. Twitter engagement is almost nonexistent. The general comments section for the project is all but dead (six comments from backers in the last week).

TUOFdVT.png

The dropoff from day one was huge.
The campaign is averaging about $500/day in the last ten days.

Sadly I believe the Coles misjudged the viability of additional Hero-U games as well as yet another visual novel type game. The audience is not big enough for the former, and the demand is not big enough for the latter amidst a very crowded genre.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The trajectory of this Kickstarter is so weird and atypical that I almost wonder if the ~750 backers who pledged 50k on the first day are sock puppets.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
My understanding is that normally, as in Texas ballot-stuffing, you save your sock puppets for the end when you know how many you need.

I think the more reasonable explanation is simply that they have a hard core of supporters to whom they have ready access (via prior Kickstarters), and they did a good job of announcing and building the hype leading into their campaign. They converted 95% of their possible existing backers (or even 100%), and it turns out that that is also nearly all of the possible backers they are capable of reaching. I can't see why anyone would ever back this game who didn't already back Hero-U; the (wo)man on the street surely is not going to be interested in a visual novel that lacks, well, the novelty of Hatoful Boyfriend or the other games that the Coles think captured the magic of QFG. While wooing a cowladin or a cat-man may seem eccentric, the game really looks pretty tame in comparison to joke visual novels (I think Hatoful Boyfriend, Dream Daddy, etc. are jokes, right?), but in comparison to non-joke visual novels, it lacks the school-age angst, overt sexuality, science fictional elements, or other features that seem to define successful titles. Obviously, if you love the Coles' work and either want to support them out of a sense of generosity for their past efforts, or because you can't get enough of their particular brand of punning, this is going to be the best visual novel out there. But those folks also would've backed Hero-U, and they were captured on day one.

That said, my impression of visual novels is based entirely on seeing them appear ahead of Primordia on Steam's highest-rated games list, and very, very briefly trying to play Analogue: A Hate Story based on the recommendation of Primordia's #1 superfan. It felt like reading a manual to me, and I stopped very quickly. So I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Hellion

Arcane
Things must not be going well at all. A few minutes ago, Corey Cole sent a mass-mail to all Hero-U backers:

You can help us change the future!

Seven years ago, 6000 intrepid adventurers took the chance of supporting our - Lori and Corey Cole’s - new game project. 2000 more joined over the next few years. That game, released in 2018, became Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

Now we need your help again, but it isn’t just us. By supporting the Hero-U series, you can help us draw a road map of the future of gaming! It’s up to all of us to make sure games include real stories, richly detailed characters, and thoughtful game play.

Lori has been writing a prequel to Rogue to Redemption called Summer Daze at Hero-U for the last year. We have a prototype you can play right now on itch.io or Steam, and we’re running a Kickstarter so we can finish and improve the game. If you haven’t already looked at it, stop right here and visit landing_page_link.

We’re going to make the goal and the game, but with your help, we can do much more - Add features such as voice acting, add puzzles, and even get a head start on Hero-U: Wizards Way.

You’ve told us that Hero-U is a great game. Reviews have consistently rated it in the 80% - 90% range. More importantly, players on both Steam and GOG have given it “Very Positive” ratings. We managed to include most of the features that players loved in Quest for Glory: * Player as the star * Interesting characters with rich dialogue and side quests * An involving story that you discover as you go along * Role-playing system building stats and skills * Beautiful areas to discover and explore * Combat emphasizing RPG stats as well as player skill * Fun mini-games such as Poobah and trap disarming * Fabulous soundtrack by Ryan Grogan * Challenging but fair puzzles

We also added a few things: * Tactical combat options including traps and runes * “Buffing” potions and magical equipment * More variety of armor, weapons, and equipment * Challenging “time as a currency” mechanic * Much larger text and dialogue for more complex story * Huge environments allowing more exploration and interaction

Let's make another great game together! We’re doing a new Kickstarter campaign for Summer Daze at Hero-U, the prequel to Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

This time we’re changing up the formula from “Adventure game with role-playing and a focus on characters” to “Visual Storytelling with adventure game challenges and a focus on characters.” You can find the new campaign at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/summer-daze-at-hero-u, and we hope you will at least visit the page and watch the video.

Thank you to those of you who have already visited the Summer Daze page, and especially to you who have pledged to support the new game! You haven’t just contributed to a game project - You’ve cast a vote in favor of having us make more story- and character-based games.

That means a lot to us, and it’s the main reason we use crowdfunding for our games. We need to know that we have an audience of people who care about, are passionate about, storytelling in games. If we can’t find and reach that audience, we need to question whether we should keep making those games.

We’re committed to finishing Summer Daze at Hero-U regardless of what happens with the Kickstarter. But our future after that is in doubt. We are passionate and excited that Summer Daze is going to be a great game with memorable characters and story, but if our most fervent players and fans say “eh, who cares?” then for whom are we making these games?

We’re also looking to this campaign to decide on the scope of Summer Daze at Hero-U. Currently we have two great stories centering around Tilly the rogue and Ifeyo the wizard. But we’d like to add more interactivity, mini-games, and possibly even Hero’s Quest style “closeup combat.” We’d like to release the game in multiple languages. It would be awesome to add professional voice acting for all the characters.

There are more cool items we can give to backers if we have the funding. Once/if we get close to the minimum $100K goal for the campaign, we’ll announce our plans for stretch goals. But if we get there on the final day of the campaign, as we did in 2012, we won’t have time for that.

Join Us!
Is there a future for Transolar Games, and for Lori and Corey Cole as game creators? That’s largely up to you to decide. For a start, visit https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/summer-daze-at-hero-u, watch the short video, and read about the game. Decide whether you care enough about the story in Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption to want more of the lore and background of Hero-U. If you find the project worthy, please pledge and let your friends know about it.

Lori and I learned in Lifespring training to ask ourselves two questions about taking action: “If not me, then who?” “If not now, then when?”

Why now? There are about two weeks left in the Kickstarter, after which we won’t look for or expect many pledges. Helping us reach the goal quickly will encourage many more backers, and will give us a much better chance of reaching stretch goals and improving the game. It will also make life less stressful for us, which is good for our health and writing quality. :)

You’re our most cherished and special fans. We hope you’ll answer “Yes, me!” and “Yes, now!” to those questions and encourage us to continue making story- and character-based games for years to come.

Corey and Lori Cole

Kickstarter is still stuck at 61.000/100.000, with 14 days to go.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Things must not be going well at all.
I had the impression it was doing fine, actually, from looking at daily KickTraq data. Not great, but likely to make it over when fans maxed out their credit cards.

We’re going to make the goal and the game, but with your help, we can do much more ... add puzzles
Oh. Two weeks ago, puzzles did not make the list of "things that matter in a game," let alone "core" aspects of adventure games. Now they're a stretch goal?

We managed to include most of the features that players loved in Quest for Glory: ... * Role-playing system building stats and skills * Beautiful areas to discover and explore * Combat emphasizing RPG stats as well as player skill * Fun mini-games such as Poobah and trap disarming * Fabulous soundtrack by Ryan Grogan * Challenging but fair puzzles
“Our games are really about story, characters, and choices. Moving a small avatar around isn’t any of those. Searching for the right object to pick up isn’t one of those either. Those things are the most costly part of developing an adventure game, and they don’t really add to the experience. What if we took those out and focused on the parts that matter? Story! Characters! Choices!”
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lori and I learned in Lifespring training to ask ourselves two questions about taking action: “If not me, then who?” “If not now, then when?”
Holy mackerel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifespring

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I'm getting endless spam from them, somehow to two different email accounts, just because I made the mistake of backing the original game. Any lingering sense of sympathy is disappearing. It does seem to be working, though - the last couple of days have picked up a bit.

Boleskine

Arcane

I had to read that part again.

By supporting the Hero-U series, you can help us draw a road map of the future of gaming! It’s up to all of us to make sure games include real stories, richly detailed characters, and thoughtful game play.

Hate to say it but whatever the future of gaming may be, I doubt Summer Daze or the Hero-U series will have much of an effect on that roadmap whether the series continues or not.

About $3,000 pledged and ~60 new backers in the last couple days paints a better picture, but going from less than $1,000/day (since day one) to ~$2,500/day for the final two weeks won't be easy.

They got the diehards on day one, and this past weekend they reeled in the slightly skeptical but still loyal longtime fans. Best of luck to the Coles but I'm leaning towards this one finishing around $90K.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

By supporting the Hero-U series, you can help us draw a road map of the future of gaming! It’s up to all of us to make sure games include real stories, richly detailed characters, and thoughtful game play.

Hate to say it but whatever the future of gaming may be, I doubt Summer Daze or the Hero-U series will have much of an effect on that roadmap whether the series continues or not.

About $3,000 pledged and ~60 new backers in the last couple days paints a better picture, but going from less than $1,000/day (since day one) to ~$2,500/day for the final two weeks won't be easy.

They got the diehards on day one, and this past weekend they reeled in the slightly skeptical but still loyal longtime fans. Best of luck to the Coles but I'm leaning towards this one finishing around $90K.
I am surprised that people backed up this one at all. Their first kickstarter ended up as a mess. They spend a shit-ton of money and even remade the whole game just to deliver a meh harry potter unity game. They are really bad with money,don't know why people would trust them. Hero u has nothing to do with what was originally promised.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If it gets to $90k, it gets to $100k. I've never seen a Kickstarter get close but fail. Even now, at 64%, it may be past that hurdle. The initial donors, often including family and friends or even the creators themselves, just dig a little deeper. The bigger worry I have is that it again seems like the Coles are not sure what kind of game they want to make. Hopefully they stick to their original vision. Even though I don't think I would ever play it, it's what they dreamed of and it's probably within scope -- many visual novels get made for less than $100k.

Boleskine

Arcane

I am surprised that people backed up this one at all. Their first kickstarter ended up as a mess. They spend a shit-ton of money and even remade the whole game just to deliver a meh harry potter unity game. They are really bad with money,don't know why people would trust them. Hero u has nothing to do with what was originally promised.

Hero-U definitely got off to a poor start and looked dire for a year or two, but by the time they did their second Kickstarter in spring 2015 the updates showed healthy progress up to the time of release without major changes to the design, vision, or scope of the game. Financially they could have certainly managed the project better and gone into KS with a firmer plan, but compared to Spaceventure I'd give the Coles a good deal of credit for finishing delivering a fairly well-received game.

As for Summer Daze at least the Coles have a much better idea of the game they're making than when they started Hero-U (or, at least are more likely to stick to their original plan), so it should be a smoother development than Hero-U. However, feature creep is always a possibility.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They've turned the corner: yesterday, they brought in $3,125. At that rate, they will clear. More importantly, it usually represents the start of an end-run upslope, so the donations may actual go up from here on in. Looks like they set the amount and length of the campaign perfectly.

Boleskine

Arcane
They've lost $785 today.

O3zaXw8.png

There's almost no engagement in social media or the campaign comments. Few people actually seem excited for this game in the way they were for a new adventure/RPG from the QfG creators. Many of the day one backers probably read their e-mail and thought, "Sure, whatever, I'll give the Coles another $50," and since then the campaign is mostly out of sight and out of mind for them.

Despite the recent boost the overall trend is still not enough. Unless an angel backer comes along with a $5K or $10K the outlook isn't great. They need $30K in eight days. The second Hero-U campaign had a much stronger uptick in the last two weeks, and before that the pledges were a bit more steady. Summer Daze was more front-loaded.

Also, I added a Kicktraq chart to the first post that updates in real-time (and links to the Kicktraq page).

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Why can't the Coles just donate the remaining $10k or whatever themselves? The cost is ~5% in transaction feels ($500?) so they would be getting a huge ROI.

Boleskine

Arcane
Is there a limit to how much a creator can pledge to their own project?

What I'm saying is that right now people coming across the campaign or checking back in may not be optimistic about its chances, so they'd be more reticent to pledge or bump their existing pledges. "Eh, it's probably not going to make it so I won't bother."

But if the project magically went from $70K to $80K overnight from a generous superfan, then the situation would look better and those bystanders would be more willing to jump into the pool. "Oh neat, they may get there after all. I guess I can help them a bit more."

Or maybe the Coles will have to fork over $10K-$15K now to give themselves a better chance in the home stretch. Otherwise,

zef4NOL.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From the look of things,they won't make it. If they pay up that 30,000,they will end up with 60,000 money and the obligation of making the game.

Atrachasis

Augur
They keep doing these livestreams of Quest for Glory and stuff. Don't those just remind people of what they actually want to play?

Well, that's still a better strategy than doing livestreams that remind people of what they do not want to play.

And their previous bumps in funding coincide with livestreams, so it's still the most viable thing they can do. Although at the moment even the bumps, if sustained, would not be enough to carry them over the finish line.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It seems like figuring out what adventure gamers like was too much of a puzzle. :/ Hopefully they are able to cover costs sufficiently that this campaign doesn't set them back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom