Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Summoner wars 2E- 1v1 Tactical Fantasy.

Waterd

Augur
This is a pure tactical game, no RPG. It's 1v1 with a fantasy theme.
It's based on the tabletop game, but they are going for a full digital version.

Is a tactical game and full disclosure i'm a zealot for this game, I think it's the best 1v1 tactical themed game on the market, and can't get enough of it.

I suggest give the demo a try and if you want to play a human, let me know, my main reason to post this is actually to gather more people to play against

Of course the appeal of this game is not the lore, theme, art etc, but full on quality tactical/strategic gameplay.

Here is the link to the demo works vs AI and you can play against humans if you link them a game link
https://breakers-vs-goblins.plaidhatgames.com/

Game Announcement trailer.

Discord channel if you wan to join to talk about the demo or find other players to play against.
https://discord.gg/jaPJcQWU

If you like 1v1 tactical games i think the game deserves at least a try against the AI, of course this is just an alpha demo and game is set to release at end of year. You don't need to care for the tabletop game.
It's browser based so you can play it on phone and tablet, but in my experience it works best on desktop.

The gold of the game is it;s gameplay, the variety of tactics and strategy you have is very deep, given the length of matches (30-60 minutes).

Hope some of you find it exciting enough to try a few games against a friend or just me.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
Well as i said is a matter of how it plays not how it looks.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks really shitty.
Waterd is right, though, it is one of the best 1v1 tactical board games. I played it a lot when it came out, and its adaptation was also one of the best of its genre on iOS. It suffered from a few issues (balance between factions, and between cards among a faction), but it was in first edition, and I suppose fixing them has been a priority.

But what happened to the art? The early first edition art was not always good, but the latter factions were nicely illustrated. Why did they change to this kind of style is a mystery indeed.
You should still try the game.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
Looks really shitty.
Waterd is right, though, it is one of the best 1v1 tactical board games. I played it a lot when it came out, and its adaptation was also one of the best of its genre on iOS. It suffered from a few issues (balance between factions, and between cards among a faction), but it was in first edition, and I suppose fixing them has been a priority.

But what happened to the art? The early first edition art was not always good, but the latter factions were nicely illustrated. Why did they change to this kind of style is a mystery indeed.
You should still try the game.

The answer of the designer of why he changed the art style. is that he wanted a fresh look that feel modern, but also he wanted to " broaden" the audience appeal.
Personally I love the art , however it has been the most divisive point no doubt, with some people outright rejecting the game by art alone. I think it's been a negative move but is early to tell and time will tell...or not.

With Respect to Summoner wars 1 problems yes, there was a great focus to solve all sw1 problems, when it comes to balance and whatnot. I think this second edition is really outstanding in that regard, and most cricism has come because the art and the confusing options to get the game at this point. But I don't think from people that tried the demo hear much about game flaws, or problems. I was a Huge critic of sw1 problems and Ive been listened and ALL of them, and I mean ALL have been addressed.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Lol, SW 1 art was shit and amateurish and they've made it even worse in 2nd ed.
Fantastic game, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Did the designer tone down murdering your own units on turn 1 to recover mana?

Lol, SW 1 art was shit and amateurish and they've made it even worse in 2nd ed.
Fantastic game, though.

Yes, iit looks like amateurish neo cartoon now...

card game~
Only partly so, because you move the character cards on the board, using regular movement rules.

laclongquan

Arcane
When I see the word "tactical" I expect something more, not card games. There're lots of great card games I am sure, but they are... well, no where near tactical enough.

The very limits of card battles imprison the possibility of tactical.

covr

Prophet
Patron
When I see the word "tactical" I expect something more, not card games. There're lots of great card games I am sure, but they are... well, no where near tactical enough.

It is not a card game - it is actually a much better version of HoMM combat, with more unique units and new mechanics. Very chess like, and indeed tactical. If you consider chess a tactical game.

You've got premade decks (it's your army roster) but you can mix it and change a thing or two. The game would be the same if your swap the cards with e.g. tokens/plastic models and move them around the board.

spectre

Arcane
I played the first edition quite a bit when it came out.
Even got me a master set and a second master set (which ended up being more than I could chew. Half of it is still unpacked).
Kinda forgot it existed. The art style turned bad, but you stop paying attention to it after some time.

The client isn't much to write home about. No frills, a bit clunky, but has to be this way to enforce the rules.
Played one game, the AI happily suicided its main Haemogoblin at two life instead of tucking him away and didn't seem to threaten mine at all.
Never would have happened with a semi-competent human. I realize single player probably won't be a priority.
Second game, it crapped out after a few turns. Oh well.

When I see the word "tactical" I expect something more, not card games.
There're lots of great card games I am sure, but they are... well, no where near tactical enough.
It uses cards, yes, but it actually plays like chess, so I'd say It should even out for you.
Just play it ffs. It's a pretty damn fine system with plenty of depth to the decision-making... if you an be bothered to give it a fair shot.
It's very easy to pick up, yet there is still a learning curve in practicing the matchups - there are plenty of faction, and each
has a distinct flair, so if the two which are available in the demo
You can rush, you can grind things out by destroying enemy spawning points and depleting their deck, manage and deny resources, etc. etc.
Positioning matters, use of special abilities matter, casting spells matter.

It has RNG, but it isn't obnoxious - d6 is used for damage rolls, but it's in a good spot with extreme results being rare.
You also get to modify your odds through abilities, spells and events.
The draw pile is randomized, but that's no big deal. The deck size isn't big, and you will be drawing useful stuff most of the time.
Even then, you can burn through cards quickly to dig for what you want and you should see most of your cards in the course of a typical game.
Initial board placement is fixed and unique to each faction. This often produces surprising conditions depending on the pairing.

IMO, It's a good mix of random and non-random. The dice gives you a bit of uncertainty to how combat plays out,
allowing you to take gambles and hedge your bets, and deck randomization ensures that battles don't always go the same way.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I played the first edition quite a bit when it came out.
Even got me a master set and a second master set (which ended up being more than I could chew. Half of it is still unpacked).
Kinda forgot it existed. The art style turned bad, but you stop paying attention to it after some time.

Same here, I got all the first 3 waves of Summoner Wars expansions, but we burnt out of it (4 players is way too long, and I don't play much 2 players anymore, except against my daughterss, but Summoner Wars doesn't feature enough dragons for mine).

The client isn't much to write home about. No frills, a bit clunky, but has to be this way to enforce the rules.
Played one game, the AI happily suicided its main Haemogoblin at two life instead of tucking him away and didn't seem to threaten mine at all.
Never would have happened with a semi-competent human. I realize single player probably won't be a priority.
Second game, it crapped out after a few turns. Oh well.
The AI is reckelss indeed, especially with the golin leader who can swap with any of his units. It seems to be less of a joke than the AI of the first iOS version, though.

Regarding eating your own units, it doesn't seem possible anymore, which is a great step forward (even though it was thematic for some factions, having Mrs Paladin murder her own knights for mana triggered me a lot with first edition).
I hope we won't see staple mercenaries this time (mercenaries were what turned me off online play, with everyone fielding the mercenary mages).

spectre

Arcane
Same here, I got all the first 3 waves of Summoner Wars expansions, but we burnt out of it (4 players is way too long, and I don't play much 2 players anymore,
except against my daughterss, but Summoner Wars doesn't feature enough dragons for mine).
Yeah, I gave myself a slap on the wrist with expansions since I haven't played through all of the matchups and it didn't seem I would be interested in any deckbuilding.
Of course, It's fun to deckbuild if you can settle for a single faction, or when you want that 101% optimization for competitive play,
but they shat out expansions way too fast for me. I also thing the balance is better if you just keep it vanilla.

Still, I kept the master sets (and the decent quality boards that came with them), my spawn is starting to get the hang of reading, so it just might be the right time for it.
It's one of the games I decided to keep around for old time's sake, together with Android Netrunner and Warhammer Conquest. Didn't buy into new Legend of Five Rings, but these were all pretty good card games
that play nothing like traditional cards or Tragic the Garnering and Hearthstone. laclongquan should actually play at one point and appreciate, instead of whining.

By the way, how's backwards compatibility with the new edition? Looks and plays more or less the way I remember.
I don't really want to part with the stuff I have, and while the graphics design wasn't that great back then, the new one is actually detrimental once you actually look at it.
FFS, this game really should get the production value it deserves.

Regarding eating your own units, it doesn't seem possible anymore, which is a great step forward (even though it was thematic for some factions, having Mrs Paladin murder her own knights for mana triggered me a lot with first edition).
I hope we won't see staple mercenaries this time (mercenaries were what turned me off online play, with everyone fielding the mercenary mages).
Didn't have time to actually check it, cause the client crapped out on me, but I think I saw an option to turn on attack your own units in the menu.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Oh, maybe you can, but from the rulebook, you don't get any mana out of it. And if you don't attack any opponent unit or wall during your turn, your summoner loses 1 HP.
Regarding compatbility, I don't know, units seem to have more HP now

Waterd

Augur
Sadly it's not backward compatible which is one of the two things they are getting backlash, the other being the art. I have everything Sw1, but i don't mind. But I understand a lot of people do.
Yes, in options you can turn ON being able to attack your units. However as per the new rules, you don't longer get Magic out of killing your own units.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom