Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by oddech_wymarlych_swiatow, Nov 3, 2020.

1. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Recently I realized If have problem with that. If I buy a geam, even cheap, I feel being forced to play it - if not to finish it then to spent X time on it just to feel my money not getting wasted.

The same with the games I've gone pretty deep into but stopped because reasons. Wasted time cannot be brought back but there's an illusion that investing even moar time may make wasted time well... NOT wasted and so on.

Can anyone share similar experience?

• Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Best things in life are free. Like freemasonry.

• Funny x 7
    • nice x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. dbx Arcane Patron

dbx
    That's not sunk cost fallcy. Just autism.

• Funny x 5
    • (autism) x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    That's why I pirate everything. That way I'm free.

The games I buy, I buy because I want to feel good about myself. I'm cool, I bought Thief 2 for 1,5$ on sale. I feel no pressure to play those games.

• PIRACY IS WRONG x 5
    • Salute x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Butter Arcane

Butter
    KotOR 2 is my sunk cost story. It became apparent to me even before leaving Peragus that the game was terrible, but I'd liked the first game and everyone on Codex pretends the second one is even better, so I stuck with it. It only gets worse the longer you play it, but I became determined to not let it beat me. I had to eventually start using cheats to break through the retarded 1v5 combat with companions I had never bothered to use, and by the time I reached Malachor V I was using every available cheat because I just wanted it to be over. But I ultimately beat it, and I don't feel even remotely good about my decision.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. just_dmitri Novice

just_dmitri
    Well that is true only if you are immortal or never spend over a minute past the time you realized that you do not enjoy the game. Otherwise, you will be playing some shitty game just because you almost finished it or because it took such a long time to make it work and learn the mechanics. Money is not the only cost for playing a game.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    wait until you learn about the skunk cost fallacy, padawan

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Citizen Guest

Citizen
    Nah you just have ocd or something, there's a bunch of bad games I bought and never plan to finish because I know they're not worth the time

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Exact same case here. I had around 300 games combined on my Steam and GOG account. Most of them were impulse purchases, I just bought them because they were super cheap. Problem is, because of my autism whenever I'm thinking about what to play, I feel forced to play these games, because I've payed for them. Even though I am not really interested in these games.

Do you know what did I you 2 days ago? I just went and deleted all the games from my Steam library I knew I'm not really interested in. It's similar to piling up those games and burn them. I'm trying to do the same on GOG, although I had to contact customer support for that.

Now I only have those games in my library which I'm actually interested in. Drastic measures, but I already feel better about this.

• (autism) x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    I used to feel that way, not I don't, haven't felt that sort of thing for years now.

You probably need an even more obscenely huge backlog to stop caring. That's how it worked out for me. At one point I got SO MANY FUCKING GAMES, I literally removed 66% of them from my library and only play a quarter of the remaining ones.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I have over 1300 games on Steam, a couple dozen on GoG, as well as several pirated old games not available on any digital store, a couple old games on fucking CDs because they're not even on pirate sites, and... most of them are just sitting on my hard disk or in my library, wating to be played "one day". Some I have played for 1 hour then shelved "for later". So this doesn't apply to me at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    I only feel this way if I have the games in my Steam library but I've taken to using Steam support to permanently remove games from my account when I get the feeling I don't actually give a shit about them anymore, or if I really dislike playing them or get the feeling I'm only playing them to justify having paid for them. Nice way to manage whatever OCD I might have. Feels like a more definitive way of being Done with something, rather than just hiding it. And if I ever change my mind about the game, I have to overcome the barrier of paying for the game again. Nice little check on any potential silly whims.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. GewuerzKahn Savant

GewuerzKahn
    No, I buy and play games for pure entertainment. If it's shit, who cares. I just wasted money and some time.
    I guess you just value your available time less than your money.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I delete stuff I don't enjoy or won't replay (If I finished it once) from Steam library. I can earn more money (especially considering the inadequately low prices in RU Steam), but I can't get back time.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Bony Hands Literate

Bony Hands
    I have more then enough games sitting untouched on my accounts that I bought because I thought I might play them. I think it's a bigger issue to stick with a game you don't enjoy just because you paid a few dollars for it. Lately, I've just being uninstalling games that just stopped being fun no matter how much time I've put into them.

^ Top  
  16. SausageInYourFace Angelic Reinforcement Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Totally feeling this, the 'I will have to finish this one day'-syndrome is heavily on my mind. I have old savestates from like 2012 or so where I still go 'oh, I need to finish this one day', I honestly have no clue what's up with that. I have no issue at all dropping books or tv shows I don't wanna finish but somehow when it comes to games I feel this strange obligation all of a sudden. It has nothing to do with money spent, more with time invested or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    WTF

I really don't understand throwing away games you paid for. They don't even take up space. They just sit in your Steam library with no space taken on your hard drive or as a DVD box in your shelf.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz

Video games trigger an incomparable dopamine release, such that even when you drop a particular game it will still have some kind of hold on you years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Some kind of disorder I think. Like you don't store meaningless stuff at home and translate it into your digital life. I do the same with Codex. I've made invisible all the forums I do not read.

I must say it helped me to fight the pressure of mandatory playing.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I myself never tend to have more than two games installed simultaneously. Keeping my conscience clean and all that. Fighting the inner consoomer Schweinehund.

• feels good man feels good man x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I am a collector and find it hard to toss stuff out, so yeah I don't get it at all.

I still have folders from 2004 left on my hard disk :M

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    I have no problem with that and I don't advise you to do as I say. I just shared my experience, man.

I'd say it's overall an interesting topic – our digital behavior.

^ Top  
  23. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm sure throwing away games sound retarded. In my case, I just felt obligated to play these games after I bought them. I don't even buy new games anymore, because every time there is something to buy I say to myself: "you have a lot of games you paid for and you didn't play yet, don't buy this". And since I'm poor, it would make me feel bad spending money on new games when I didn't play the games I have. And I couldn't fight this feeling. Now, after deleting these games, there is no going back and I got rid of these games.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Latro Arcane

Latro
    With how cheap games can get with steam sales I don’t think it’s that shocking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Most recently I removed Tides of Numanuma from my account. Felt so good. Previously everytime I opened my little steam library to see what game I should play, I'd see that and think maybe I should reinstall it and finish it off one of these days. Now I'll no longer think that and I'll never have to think of that shit ever again.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.