Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Super Bunnyhop Deadfire Review feat. Codex Screenshot

Jezal_k23

Funny review. Some things he said right in the beginning of the video jumped out at me.

First, he was freaked out at the word biawac which strikes me as weird for the #1 super fan of the first game.

Second, he thought the writing in Deadfire was a lot worse than Pillars 1. He blames the decline in writing on Avellone leaving.

This is funny for several reasons.

So he is clearly unaware that MCA was barely even involved with the first game, and the fact that he attributes his leaving to Deadfire's decline in writing is especially amusing. This means that he thought Avellone had a hand at writing the masterpiece that he considers Pillars 1, WHICH MEANS he probably praised the first game so much under the assumption that MCA had input on it.

So my theory is, he PERCEIVED Pillars 1 as well written because MCA was there, and he likewise perceives Deadfire as inferior because Chris left.

I'm not saying he's wrong. Deadfire probably does have inferior writing - just not for the reason he thinks.

This makes me wonder whether he would have praised the first game's writing so much if he knew Avellone was not really very involved at all. His praise of the first game might just have been a psychological reaction to playing MCA's brand new masterpiece.

Trashos

Arcane
Don't know anything about the dude. He thinks that PoE2 has much inferior writing to PoE1 and he is probably trying to make sense of it.

Weird review, spends 10 minutes complaining, then 5 minutes clapping, ending in a positive overall review. He also thinks that PoE1 is a masterpiece, so there is that.

Morkar Left

So my theory is, he PERCEIVED Pillars 1 as well written because MCA was there, and he likewise perceives Deadfire as inferior because Chris left.

Durance writing alone fleshes out the setting immensely and belongs to the best writing in the game (in style, story and background fluff). Though he isn't wrong about MCA lifting up the writing of PoE by some levels.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Don't know anything about the dude. He thinks that PoE2 has much inferior writing to PoE1 and he is probably trying to make sense of it.

Weird review, spends 10 minutes complaining, then 5 minutes clapping, ending in a positive overall review. He also thinks that PoE1 is a masterpiece, so there is that.
He is a weaboo who reviews videogames for a living, who is also gay I believe, as well as jewish. He has some decent taste, liking dark souls 1, but also very shitty taste at times, like liking japanese pachinko games.
Here is a picture of him with his boyfriend, he is on the left side of the picture frame.
f2b499f2b7678a744a48f5a89eb41b4c.jpg

He is also very liberal, if I recall correctly, as I remember him making a video complaining about trump and brexit on new years or some such ridiculousness.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah I chuckled when he mentions that Avellone's departure is clearly visible compared to the first game.

Nigga, do some research.

Got bored and left

Hey, it ain't Nintendo this time! And Bunnyhop ousts himself as Roxor's alt. And the Codex is featured. What a time to be alive.

EDIT. Fookin 'ell, matey!

Last edited by a moderator:

frajaq

Erudite
All of it could be avoided too if they didn't chase a direct sequel. They followed Larian with full VO, if only they followed them with indirect sequel too.

Yeah I have to wonder if even the sales would be better since people would feel less "forced" to play the first one

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i have 2 steam friends that chatted and asked if the story is related and i said yes, you play the same character and you import saves from your previous games and they all say "eh maybe later i dont really wanna play the first one"

vault dweller is right, especially in the age of 500 games backlog nobody really wants to invest 100+ hours into a game's sequel that you never played the prequel, let alone like it.

i think this would sell alot better if it was a contained storyline.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i have 2 steam friends that chatted and asked if the story is related and i said yes, you play the same character and you import saves from your previous games and they all say "eh maybe later i dont really wanna play the first one"

vault dweller is right, especially in the age of 500 games backlog nobody really wants to invest 100+ hours into a game's sequel that you never played the prequel, let alone like it.

i think this would sell alot better if it was a contained storyline.

joke's on them for thinking the story in poe2 is important

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
People might be willing to play the previous games if it's something like Witcher, where you know the story isn't shit because it's based on books.

Or in case of Mass Effect where mechanics and graphics are relatively similar.

Here though, yeah, I can't blame anybody for not wanting to start with PoE2.

Hell, I seriously doubt if I will be ever able to replay the first one either. 14 sameish classes wearing sameish bland items while adventuring through 4 railroaded acts vs. complex multiclass system+cool itemization+free exploration. Like, fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom