Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Codex Year of the Donut
Father is actually heavily biased in his/her opinion on the matter...
biased or based
biased

despite having a male name, it's not a living being.
also
coombrains apparently immediately though having aspects of both male and female = intersex, I interpreted it as more of a divine aspect

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No, SureAI effectively lost this IP, which is the most funny caveat. AFAIK it's one of the former devs, not affiliated right now neither with SureAI nor Lietzau (novels' writer), who staked the claim, and because of how German copyright law works its now his. Hilarious.
Wait what
What you've read. They lost Vyn IP to one of the former devs who filed a claim, and because of how German IP law works he got it (other devs, current SureAI included, weren't even notified about the proceedings).

Unless said former dev - now owner of this IP - sells it further to same gamedev company this franchise is dead. I suspect he plans to do so at some point.

Ravielsk

Magister
the ending is trash, everything you did the whole game doesnt matter because reapers something lelol.
Agreed but no because its a blatant rip-off of Mass Effect 3 but because the whole twist hinges on the idea that you the player got played by the higher ones but then you are at no point in the game given any chance to even attempt not getting played. Not even once are you given the chance to say "wait a minute maybe we should...". At no point are you allowed to take any action against Sharim or Natara even though the second one could not be signaling its betrayal harder if she was named Tra' Itor. Its the same problem as with Spec Ops the line tying your hands behind and your back and then criticizing you for not waving back.

On top of that Starlink city and the Black guardian alone create so many fucking plotholes and inconsistencies by virtue of their very existence that it makes the pseudo sophistry about human nature(which automatically turns any story to shit) almost unbearable. Its a bad ending, very bad in fact and pretty much the only thing about the game that I would describe as in need of a redo.

Last edited:
This may be the best game I will never play again

-Extremely well written story, it's dark and not afraid to not answer every question
-Quest may be simple mechanically, but good writing makes up for that flaw
-Liked how most of the quests have something to do with either worldbuilding or the main story
-
Endings are exceptionally well made, there is much to think about when pondering which choice is the right one
-Proper exploration, with some areas being amazing at what they set out to do. Even thinking about the Undercity makes me feel dirty.
-Improvements to all mechanics
-Truly amazing soundtrack
-Many voice actors are better than in most AAA games. I especially liked Aranther and Jasper VA
- It's mega funny how Skyrim dialogue UI does not support having more than a few dialogue options and devs nedded to ad a hack that allows for new choices. When you click on "more" hack you literally can feel the engine coughing and struggling :)
-BARDS! There are few of them each making reinterpretation of the same songs.

- I have feeling that improving skills does not provide much benefit to the player: two weapons having similar base damage, but vastlydifferent skill levels do similar damage
- Skyrim combat is the worst aspect of the game, really bringing it down. And this is why I said I will most likely never play the game again.
- Some of the loot is level scaled.
-
I guessed very early that the beacon was a doomsday device and I was suspecting the Emissaries were victims of Red Madness (pretty close to the truth). But I was not allowed to question the beacon even after learning that is fueled by evil stones. I also disliked how you are not allowed to be suspicious towards Yusum. He was such an obvious candidate for murderer that for the moment I though he was a red herring.
- I feel that in some late game/ border areas exploration gets worse
-There is a little too many objectives, like find the hidden level in the room

REhorror

Educated
I love this game.
Too bad it will never get a sequel to know what the fuck happened after.

Totally love the girl companion, and they actually make her hot.

harhar!

Augur
the ending is trash, everything you did the whole game doesnt matter because reapers something lelol.
Agreed but no because its a blatant rip-off of Mass Effect 3 but because the whole twist hinges on the idea that you the player got played by the higher ones but then you are at no point in the game given any chance to even attempt not getting played. Not even once are you given the chance to say "wait a minute maybe we should...". At no point are you allowed to take any action against Sharim or Natara even though the second one could not be signaling its betrayal harder if she was named Tra' Itor. Its the same problem as with Spec Ops the line tying your hands behind and your back and then criticizing you for not waving back.

On top of that Starlink city and the Black guardian alone create so many fucking plotholes and inconsistencies by virtue of their very existence that it makes the pseudo sophistry about human nature(which automatically turns any story to shit) almost unbearable. Its a bad ending, very bad in fact and pretty much the only thing about the game that I would describe as in need of a redo.

This. Also, the game is at odds with its own concepts. How can it be that everyone is acting exactly the same way, down to using the same words, as the civilizations before them, and yet there is supposed to be a "sea of eventualities". What if Arantheal or the Prophet died in any of those? What if anyone had even an ounce of common sense in one of those? Also, what is the motivation of the hooded woman? If she wanted to stop the Cleansing, she should have just let the Prophet die. If she wanted the Cleansing to happen, why save the Prophet at the end?

Vulpes

Scholar
The main plot was half-baked at best. You're repeatedly told that there's "something different" about this cycle (I guess they're referring to how the concept of fate was abolished in Nehrim?), but the only deviation that CAN possibly happen is near the end IF you decide to risk your own life to save the other continents, and even then there's very little chance that a second attempt at destroying the High Ones would succeed when the artefacts needed were destroyed by the traitor during your own endeavors.

Ravielsk

Magister
This. Also, the game is at odds with its own concepts. How can it be that everyone is acting exactly the same way, down to using the same words, as the civilizations before them, and yet there is supposed to be a "sea of eventualities". What if Arantheal or the Prophet died in any of those? What if anyone had even an ounce of common sense in one of those? Also, what is the motivation of the hooded woman? If she wanted to stop the Cleansing, she should have just let the Prophet die. If she wanted the Cleansing to happen, why save the Prophet at the end?
Well ultimately its a community mod so some level of incoherence is a given, so you kind of have to cut them some slack. Macro concepts like eventualities or certain characters are often just... well cool ideas that get used/name dropped because its cool and not much else. A very real possibility is also that they are left overs from one modder who left midway through and another guy just sort of jerry-rigged them into his own narrative.

So really for all intends and purposes behind a lot of the plot holes could be that they are content done by other modders the team was not willing to retool or cut once they had them working. That said while I am willing to excuse some side quests not exactly meshing well with the rest of the story I am not willing to let slide the game essentially shitting on the player for making a mistake they had no way of avoiding. Doubly so when the mod itself is not even hiding that what you are doing is a mistake, sets up things that look like ways to avoid said mistake and then just never lets you take them.

That is the kind of "FUCK YOU" that goes simply a step too far for me, mod or no mod.
You're repeatedly told that there's "something different" about this cycle
To be perfectly honest that could very well be a intentional misdirect. The cycle is going as planned but the High Ones simply try to gaslight you into believing that its not to stop you from digging too deep and potentially stopping them. But considering how everything else is handled that is perhaps a bit too charitable of an interpretation on my end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom