Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Whatever do you mean how it works. The PC has had their Strenght raised. They are not 19 they are 24.

Gameplay/story segregation. It doesn't matter "how it works". Sometimes you make breaks to improve quality of life and make things more intuitive.

We don't live in autism world after all.

I admit that writing about how gaining muscles work was semi-irrelevant to the world of fantasy. But to put it in a different perspective and to quote you: Exactly, it doesn't matter how raising stats works.

With the Strenght 20 the PC kills "that many more" monsters than with Strenght 10. It overcomes "that many more" skill checks. It can carry around "that many more stuff" in inventory. And it has "that many more treasures and rewards in general"

But you somehow think it's better implementation if a trainer treats the PC like it is still a beginner with the score of 10 when it comes to paying the price. I.e. totally disregarding the need to gain experience to get to the point where it can kill more monsters and get more money to pay for the higher-level training. The whole point of the RPG system gone.

"I am sorry dear monster, please treat me as a 10 STR PC? Maybe deduce your HP totall bcs small glass thingies with fluids don't count? No? Ok, nvm, I will show you what 5 STR potions, and having been trained for 5 more STR points by the blind trainer without basic mathematic skills awsomely implemented trainer can do!"
WHACK. 10th lvl monster dead in seconds instead of the 5th lvl player being chased away with the bare life. 10th level gear and 3x more EXP coming my wayyyy, heeeyyyy. Wait, I can't use the 10th level gear... Heyyy, nvm, I'll raise the Strenght again! I've buckloads of money nao!

...and half way through the game that's been already broken: "Fuuu, the game isn't balanced, fights are boooooring."
Sure, dude. Go for it! Go crazy on those potions, why feel penalized? There is no need to strain yourself for achieving things in an RPG game! Be free! :bounce:

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So basically i am gotta do bunch of non combat quests to level up before actively participating in combat like gothic?

The trek to riverville was basically running away because i don't have enough healing provisions. I can take 1 bandit or 2 but more easily killed me.
That or you have to get creative with the environment or some such.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok i installed bunch mods like tkdodge and ultimate combat, it feels much better now. Using 1 handed mixed with a little magic. Is there level cap or you just go on?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Ok i installed bunch mods like tkdodge and ultimate combat, it feels much better now. Using 1 handed mixed with a little magic. Is there level cap or you just go on?
Wow, I am happy you've got inspired here then! As for the level cap:

1) I don't believe there is any level cap in experience levels
2) The skills can go up only to 100 by using the learning books. But they can go over 100 using the special bonuses, drinks, equipment, spells etc. And don't worry you're going to feel you have nothing else to improve anytime soon. I've only reached over 100 in a single skill - archery - after like hundred hours in-game. Then again I've played a jack-of-all-trades. If you pursue a more reasonable skill-set, you are likely to reach over 100 in at least one skill in, say, 50+ hours? This is very theoretical ofc.

Rhalas quests done:
Pretty cool. Ended up siding with the Father because despite being a weirdo cultist I couldn't really fault 'em. One of the rare occasions when a big bad passed a speech check against me. Father's not really a good person but Thrael was losing his marbles as was evidenced multiple times throughout the questline so I'll stick with the weirdo cultist. The big fucking dog and mask were fairly shit rewards for my character but as far as story goes that was great. Was surprised and disappointed I didn't find more Butcher of Ark books up in the ruin, figured there'd be some there but no such luck. Also a little confused that the other cultists are taking this as well as they are given the room to sever your soul vanished along with the Father, but maybe they figure it'll come back. And if Thrael (And the two others) were able to be plopped into simulacrum bodies now I'm wondering if that's what's going on with my character.

3AA3F183BA2C15736B805990158718BC2733F014

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So i finally collected my first soul, tried crafting something in phasmalism bench but i click "craft talisman " and the crafting menu just shows an empty menu table. Bug? Or i need blueprint?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So i finally collected my first soul, tried crafting something in phasmalism bench but i click "craft talisman " and the crafting menu just shows an empty menu table. Bug? Or i need blueprint?

What rank is the soul? Level 1 or 2? You need to unlock another memory tree skill for level 2 souls. =)

View attachment 20051

There are two souls in the Suncoast region: One level 1 soul (warrior) and one level 2 soul (mage).
Ah thanks, it was the soul at the goldenford castle thing with a mage guarding it so i guess it was the mage

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finally found a soul i can craft. Level 15 now, i am done wandering the sun coast and heartlands, probably finally gonna continue the MQ because jespar has waited a damn long time in ark marketplace :lol:

Oh yeah is enchanting this weak in this game? The perk from mage tree only increase 10% and each tier in the phasmalist tree only increase it 10% each making the total upgrade. . . .40% investing in the perks. I tried making something with common soul gem it got me whopping 4% mana regen per item. Are they steering players more toward sets then?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Some nitpick i wish they stick to trainers instead of skillbook. I thought it was engine limitation but then i finished a quest in ark in which the giver trained me in lockpicking even he explained the procedures like in gothic games. Using books cause massive bloat on merchant and your own inventory especially its categorized as food, which is an already crowded tab to begin with.

Another nitpick is they should just use the skyrim constellation when picking perk, instead of awkward meditation system where you have to teleport into the memory space whatever, then aim at a tiny dot on a rocks then click on them to reveal what the perks do . . . So un intuitive. If one part of skyrim is well designed it's the perk choosing page. Slick and intuitive compared to this.

Or maybe the skyrim constellation can't be nodded or difficult to be changed?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Hard to say, but modding is vastly active both with Skyrim and Enderal, so it may be a thing. As for the books - yea, I feel you. A little help is to use those storage chests in towns. Or once you've acquired a house - make each chest dedicated to some group of items and everytime you "finish a run" and get back to town put things in these. Then sell stuff you want to sell etc... so your inventory is free.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I explored all of the low level areas and finished the main quest with the ritual place and met calia.

Proceeded to goldenfrost, and got my ass rightfullt kicked by a named bandit. Went back to arx, broke the piggy bank, bought better tier spells and kicked her ass back

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Playing this is a much better idea than fooling yourself into playing oblivion with mods.

ferratilis

Magister
Is it worth installing the Special Edition of this over the original 32-bit version on Steam? I remember reading somewhere that it had some new bugs and a bunch of typos, and that it was done by a different team. Is that true?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Is it worth installing the Special Edition of this over the original 32-bit version on Steam? I remember reading somewhere that it had some new bugs and a bunch of typos, and that it was done by a different team. Is that true?

64 bit skyrim runs better, looks better and doesn't crash. Yeah its worth it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Undercity and the questline you get from there is so good. Like a mix of arx fatalis+dark brotherhood in term of feel and atmosphere. The soundtrack is great too.

Codex Year of the Donut
biggest issue with enderal was the complete ass performance, especially in city areas.

Main story spoilers:
Jespar status: DEAD. Calia status: DEAD. PC status: ARGUABLY DEAD. What this means I still have no idea, but I certainly noticed when the robed chick resurrected Jespar after his sister nuked him and I just learned that Calia was a moldering corpse that was brought back to life with warpcraft and evil artifacts, and then taken away by the robed chick. Where the PC seems to differ from Jespar and Calia is that they're noodling around in their normal bodies while I have an unaccountable corpse at the bottom of a dungeon. Could be there's no connection there but since Jespar and Calia are presumably important to the story since they're (Thus far) the only major companions and they've been fucked with by the robed woman too I'm leery. Also still leery about the beacon because not only did I think it was iffy when I had my vision that seemed to imply the general in the previous cycle was a traitor, now we're powering it with lumps of pure concentrated evil.

Non-spoiler words: Fuck wizards. It's just not right when my opponent has ranged attacks too, and even worse when they set me on fire so I can't see shit through the flames. Bumbled into some named nerd in the frozen mountain at an unmarked tower and actually had to slam back some healing. Fortunately the flash powder perk is ridiculously good for when shit like that happens, can just re-stealth and then I'm good to go. Up to 8 Butcher of Ark books now too, slowly getting there.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Main story spoilers:
Jespar status: DEAD. Calia status: DEAD. PC status: ARGUABLY DEAD. What this means I still have no idea, but I certainly noticed when the robed chick resurrected Jespar after his sister nuked him and I just learned that Calia was a moldering corpse that was brought back to life with warpcraft and evil artifacts, and then taken away by the robed chick. Where the PC seems to differ from Jespar and Calia is that they're noodling around in their normal bodies while I have an unaccountable corpse at the bottom of a dungeon. Could be there's no connection there but since Jespar and Calia are presumably important to the story since they're (Thus far) the only major companions and they've been fucked with by the robed woman too I'm leery. Also still leery about the beacon because not only did I think it was iffy when I had my vision that seemed to imply the general in the previous cycle was a traitor, now we're powering it with lumps of pure concentrated evil.
Just keep on playing.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Don't think I expected this game to be as large as it is. I don't know what the actual size of the playable space vs skyrim is, but its gotta be pretty close. More importantly, it's dense ala gothic 2. There's heaps of nooks, crannies and dungeons to explore, and you are always rewarded for exploring.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yeah, i ended up trying to explore every locations since there are always bound to be some part of armor set or that you at least can sell becuase you always need money one way or another especially the masters skillbooks.

I also found a the kamehameha mythic spell and combined with 2 of the tribunal set, ring of vast mana, and circlet of elementalism i can kill almost anything now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom