Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am not a big fan of Skyrim's melee combat, it lacks impact and is just too basic, so I solved it in Enderal by....

playing a mage

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm wondering about their new game. What kind of a game it will be? Now that they have to make a game from scratch, and based on Linkedin listings for both SureAI and ColossusArc (SureAI's commercial branch. It seems they don't use this name anymore), they don't seem to have much of a team to make an RPG, let alone a big 3D RPG.

Maybe announcement this year will be about Kickstarter? Or hopefully they're aiming for more smaller game for the first project. Or maybe they're actually doing something more RPG thing at Grimlore Games, where their project lead and lead writer are currently working at. (FYI Grimlore's next game also will be a top-down game according to job postings.)

Yep, they start small. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ite-action-from-sureai-endreal-nehrim.143657/

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I've always felt that mods that try to make Skyrim's combat more difficult are missing the point. The best mods are the ones that make it more of what it is - just simple, fun action combat - while giving it just a bit more depth in terms of things like shield bashing, dodging, etc.
Kinda true my most fun with skyrim is when i played mage and downloaded multiple magic/spells mod with crazy OP spells. One of my favorite is sword summoning. Like literal tornado of swords that form a dome of flying swords that fly into the target, impaling them with multiple swords. Skyrim mindless combat is better embraced and when it turn into psudo dynasty warrior where my spell just literally summon tsunamis indoor it became fun.

But

In the context of enderal, whilst the core remain the same, both the progression and area level gating design embrace the more careful (still not methodical) approach to combat as opposed to skyrim, so more of the harder combat mod works to enderal's favor IMO

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finished. I am...speechless, this was incredible...and incredibly depressing. Definitely one of the most memorable games I played.

enderal5bj92.png

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am re-reading this thread from the beggining (fun) and found the post where description of Forgotten Stories is included. And like, wow, the two best questlines in the game were not in the game originally?

I am glad I waited! :D

There is also mention of this:

A quest shedding light on the Veiled Woman's origins

Since my memories are all jumbled now after playing Enderal for a month and 143 hours, can someone remind me what quest this was?
I did literally every quest I found but cannot remember.

edit: it was the Esme's quest, wasn't it? With the small cult worshipping her. So another great questline that wasn't in the game originally. Damn :)

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah, the soundtrack is great. In my opinion, the ones that capture the feel of the game best are.

1. Our Mark on this World.

I just listened to this for the first time on headphones and outside the game and some weird liquid actually formed in my oculars wtf

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just heard about this for the first time, plan to dig in soon.
Blah. Seems very broken. Using the mousewheel in game also uses it in other running applications. Alt-tabbing out? You can't tab back in. Seems like it will be a lot of work making this function at all. :(

Codex Year of the Donut
Just heard about this for the first time, plan to dig in soon.
Blah. Seems very broken. Using the mousewheel in game also uses it in other running applications. Alt-tabbing out? You can't tab back in. Seems like it will be a lot of work making this function at all. :(
Are you playing the Special Edition version? I guess I should have been more specific

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha. Well shit. Special Edition only free for owners of Skyrim Special Edition. I guess it is a mod, after all.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Blah. Seems very broken. Using the mousewheel in game also uses it in other running applications. Alt-tabbing out? You can't tab back in. Seems like it will be a lot of work making this function at all.
I played the Special Edition (and in fact rebought Skyrim SE just for Enderal, totally worth it) and with, blasphemy, gamepad, but in 142 hours I had no bugs or crashes whatsoever, apart from some cosmetic Skyrim jank.

This reminds me I forgot to post the shots from my Enderal journey, so here is a bit of postcard dump

976620_2022061521172339jcc.png

976620_20220617212542pujxc.png

976620_20220626211224dljlh.png

976620_20220627145547aqkjy.png

976620_20220615203234sqj1w.png

976620_20220628191905e0j67.png

976620_20220625162759dlko2.png

976620_20220622214025cykrc.png

976620_20220625164105nakln.png

976620_20220620091338h1jxb.png

976620_20220611214830o4k3k.png

976620_20220611144933q5jc6.png

976620_202206112222532qjbz.png

976620_20220611215717d7khv.png

Last edited by a moderator:

None

Scholar
Some people are just better at iterating on the work of others than they are at creating something original. A lazy river game? Seriously?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
IMO it's a financially good idea. The game may be good or bad, but it gives them return income from working on a development pipeline and savings for the few years it'll take them to make the big game. And it's less scummy than a kickstarter with just a design doc.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Some people are just better at iterating on the work of others than they are at creating something original. A lazy river game? Seriously?
Lead writer, designer and director of Enderal is not at SureAI, he is writing books and working on the Gothic remake at THQ Nordic.

It is not all that surprising that for their first commercial project they decided to do something much smaller in scope.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The commercial project is probably on the scale of the forgotten city (which also start as ! a skyrim mod) so probably it's more narrative based than actual RPG with complex system, but i am okay with that.

Edit: it's a roguelike

:hahano:

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I started a new character (my second run actually), Phantasmalist/Sinistrope, game is much easier than it was for my first character (Vandal/Keeper), even on harder difficulty, though a large part of it is that I now know how to more or less effectively meta-game around issues (I'm not wasting learning points this time, I know what to buy and sell and so on). Overall, aside from the plot I would not consider coming back to Enderal, after some time had passed I find myself not missing the gameplay at all. It's decent, much better than vanilla Skyrim (as if bar was high in the first place, lol), but I'm returning mainly to experience the story once again. It's really spectacular considering that it was made by modders.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Which basically guarantees that their next endeavor will end up as a pile of shit. Writing and design of Enderal are its strongest points bar none.
Nehrim was reportedly very good too and Nicolas Lietzau had nothing to do with it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nehrim was reportedly very good too and Nicolas Lietzau had nothing to do with it.
It was quite nice, but nowhere near as good as Enderal was. It was more juvenile when it came to its plot and themes, worldspace was definitely more empty and cardboard (if that makes any sense, I hope you get what I'm going at). If Nehrim is good then Enderal is excellent, there's a world of difference between these two projects.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Voted Enderal too although I am playing Archolos now and at few hours in I think it will be fantastic. But Enderal's story and world really got me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom