Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Ivan

Arcane
resuming my playthru, how far are you Fluent? Did you make it to Ark yet?

Salvo

Arcane
What's the consensus on this? Worth playing?

It's (obviously) miles better than Skyrim. The krauts certainly poured their love in while crafting the mod, and it shows. Atmosphere and exploration are top notch, with static enemies and hand-placed loot to find, ala Gothic.

Story is ok, functional but nothing special. Unfortunately combat is Skyrim's, although revamped and with a gothic-like system where you get points to spend (skills don't grow with use), which means it's kinda bad.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's like saying New Vegas isn't worth playing because Fallout 3 was irredeemable shit.
Funny thing is, that's almost true. If Enderal was as good when compared to Skyrim as New Vegas is relatively to Fallout 3 than yes, I would recommend. It’s not as excellent however.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I have no idea how a handful of people made this for free.
I spent hours just wandering around Ark interacting with stuff then remembered there's an entire world outside of Ark.
For the people that hate the combat I suggest going a phasmalist/entropy build and focusing on summons.
phasmalist/sinistrope(entropy) is one of the 'hidden' classes

Deleted Member 16721

resuming my playthru, how far are you Fluent? Did you make it to Ark yet?

I missed this post somehow. I made it to Ark and beyond. Great game. I went through some really weird quests last time I played. Still have my save to load up when I feel like gaming again.

Arnust

Savant
Huh? Neither are actually hidden, you do get some stat boosts and a skill at level 10 of both trees as an "Affinity" though. Really I can't think of any playstyle beyond probably archery being mostly unarguably boring, and even then there's some wild Affinity results from it. Really liked Duel Wield because of being a melee glass cannon all about using attack speed and crit in opportunity rather than unga bunga smash.

And yeah, second playthrough for the Steam release trying to see most of it really shows the pretty amazing scope there is. It really helps there's no or almost no reused dungeons, so exploring is always gonna feel meaningful.

Codex Year of the Donut
And yeah, second playthrough for the Steam release trying to see most of it really shows the pretty amazing scope there is. It really helps there's no or almost no reused dungeons, so exploring is always gonna feel meaningful.
I really don't understand how they had the manpower to make so much content. I walk five feet and stumble upon an entirely new dungeon unexpectedly. A guy mentioned he had rats in his attic so I went to check it out, killed some rats and started to look around. Realized I could jump on the haystacks to get up higher and found a ladder exit into a crawlspace where I eventually fell down into a dungeon full of vatyrs.

Huh? Neither are actually hidden, you do get some stat boosts and a skill at level 10 of both trees as an "Affinity" though.
They're intended to be "hidden"(loading screen tips even suggest as much), you can figure out the combinations from reading various books in the game.
EN-Quest-The_Art_of_Combat.jpg

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
They're intended to be "hidden"(loading screen tips even suggest as much), you can figure out the combinations from reading various books in the game.
Oooh, you were being literal by alluding to the affinity already. My bad.

I really don't understand how they had the manpower to make so much content. I walk five feet and stumble upon an entirely new dungeon unexpectedly. A guy mentioned he had rats in his attic so I went to check it out, killed some rats and started to look around. Realized I could jump on the haystacks to get up higher and found a ladder exit into a crawlspace where I eventually fell down into a dungeon full of vatyrs
I think one of the things that helped was to have so much non-quest related stuff. Sometimes to a fault, as Forgotten Stories did give quests to places where one almost felt missing, but for the most part there's so much stuff that's "just" a cool place to see. Then again, the attention to detail either way doesn't give much grounds to that idea. Hell, there's even an extra part after the tutorial dungeon if you take a hard right hugging the wall with a pretty non insignificant platforming and spider gauntlet, as soon as possible. It's always a curious feeling when you know that there's no way the entirety of the game will be known and mapped.

This mod is an INCREDIBLE effort and ATM I am just letting it all sink in. Far better than the original Skyrim of course. I'm staggered by how much detail is in the world (compared to Skyrim).
The quests are pretty decent so far as well. I don't know if I'm a fan of the lore and world as such, but I don't think anyone can afford to be that picky - its been great so far.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, it's incredible. I urge you guys to play Nehrim sometime too, if you can still stomach the Oblivion engine. Nehrim is super good as well, one of the best ever IMO.

Gorn

Novice
What's the consensus on this? Worth playing?
It's good for the wandering around and exploring. The bad:
1) Melee mobs can't handle Y-axis
2) Most dungeons end up following the same pattern

I remember not finishing it but it was fun until it wasn't

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked it a lot, played maybe 20 hours. The main story was pretty good until I got bored about halfway through. I liked how it subverted my expectations a few times. "Fun until it wasn't" is a pretty good summary of it. I was also expecting more side quests but it seems I did the larger half dozen or so.

Better than Skyrim, but it still has Skyrim's sleep inducing combat, so. At least the npcs are more interesting to talk to.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Did the expansion add any new towns? I remember playing the original mod, hearing and reading about a bunch of different towns and cities, only to find out pretty much all of them were in ruins or deserted. IIRC, basically only Riverville and Ark were fleshed out. I vaguely recall some town in the desert that I was excited to visit, only to be extremely bummed out upon discovering it's completely devoid of content, and just has a bunch of generic no-name NPCs roaming around.

Still a great mod though, I'm not gonna complain about some parts of the world feeling a bit unfinished and empty when the game is already jam packed with quality content churned out by a couple of Germans in their free time.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did the expansion add any new towns? I remember playing the original mod, hearing and reading about a bunch of different towns and cities, only to find out pretty much all of them were in ruins or deserted. IIRC, basically only Riverville and Ark were fleshed out. I vaguely recall some town in the desert that I was excited to visit, only to be extremely bummed out upon discovering it's completely devoid of content, and just has a bunch of generic no-name NPCs roaming around.

Still a great mod though, I'm not gonna complain about some parts of the world feeling a bit unfinished and empty when the game is already jam packed with quality content churned out by a couple of Germans in their free time.

it added a ton to the Undercity. Not much outside of the main hub

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
That's a shame. I liked wandering around the Undercity though, so I'll take what I can get.

Kaethar

Educated
Been playing this game a lot, it's proper. Even random locations like, for example, Powder Cliff are interesting to explore because the game gets you interested in the events of the area.
I agree with some parts of the game not feeling fleshed out though, Ark, Undercity and Riverville all feel a million times more lively than Duneville (even though it's such a great concept for a city) since there's like 5 NPC's in there that actually talk (that side quest from the alchemist was really funny though). I still need to expore the Frostcliff Mountains since I've only visited the tavern, hope they did some cool stuff with that area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom