Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

agris

Arcane
Patron
What’s the situation with how magic is handled in this, are new spells magically available at vendors when you reach 25/50/75/100 in a school?

In OG Skyrim this always struck me as cheap, devaluing +magic skill gear (bc vendors only offered the next tier of spells based on your inherent skill level).

I think this and Skyrim will ultimately be DOA for me, I’m spoiled by Gothic, KCD and Daggerfall. But if Enderal is really getting away from the Skyrim formula, maybe they fixed the stupid game-y magic spell vendor gating system.

monilloman

Educated
1542BFB170BC5EB970D48E85257487C176D19769
13BEB0B8C78AE46907451C04316E99D541E6B447

I was called a retard by someone with a monocle... clearly the devs are codexers

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you love being sad and depressed as much as I do this is the best thing that can possibly happen to you. Every song in this "mod" screams depression. I love it so much.

I'm always reminded of this old remix when playing this.

If you can tolerate Skyrim even a little bit this is a glorious mod/game. Every dungeon is fun to explore, every story feels tragic. I really like the gloomy hopelessness that pervades everything in this game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you love being sad and depressed as much as I do this is the best thing that can possibly happen to you. Every song in this "mod" screams depression. I love it so much.

I'm always reminded of this old remix when playing this.

If you can tolerate Skyrim even a little bit this is a glorious mod/game. Every dungeon is fun to explore, every story feels tragic. I really like the gloomy hopelessness that pervades everything in this game.

Oh man talk about a german overload

Doktor Best

Arcane
I liked Nehrim for similar reasons but it fell apart once i realized the world is pretty empty with only a few fleshed out npcs. Also combat sucked ass of course. Is Enderal better in this regard?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know Nehrim. The world is well fleshed out and there are plenty of memorable NPCs (though also some faceless filler.)

However, there's one thing that may or may not bother you: pretty much everyone you meet outside of cities is hostile. Exceptions to this are insanely rare.

It does make sense though because the world is going to shit so nobody sane would travel outside towns.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Every song in this "mod" screams depression. I love it so much.
Yeah, the soundtrack is great. In my opinion, the ones that capture the feel of the game best are.

1. Our Mark on this World.

2. Fleshless.

3. Fallen Angel

4. Shattered Dreams.

5. Black Waltz.

V17

Educated
I liked Nehrim for similar reasons but it fell apart once i realized the world is pretty empty with only a few fleshed out npcs. Also combat sucked ass of course. Is Enderal better in this regard?

The overall quality of pretty much everything in Enderal is a significant step up from Nehrim imo. I found it overall more polished, more detailed and more balanced. As for combat, it's better than Skyrim, but it's still the same engine. It's more balanced and varied, there are actual different character builds that you can try, but the basic level of bethesda jank stays on a similar level.

KateMicucci

Arcane
What’s the situation with how magic is handled in this, are new spells magically available at vendors when you reach 25/50/75/100 in a school?

In OG Skyrim this always struck me as cheap, devaluing +magic skill gear (bc vendors only offered the next tier of spells based on your inherent skill level).

I think this and Skyrim will ultimately be DOA for me, I’m spoiled by Gothic, KCD and Daggerfall. But if Enderal is really getting away from the Skyrim formula, maybe they fixed the stupid game-y magic spell vendor gating system.
Magic is better in Enderal than Skyrim. Mages are more powerful than non-mages. You are encouraged to play a magic user for story purposes. The magic variety is a little bit better, though I wish for a lot more. Skyrim did not allow damage upgrades on magic. In Enderal you buy Fireball III to upgrade over Fireball II. Spells available at shops seems to depend on your level, not skill. Even though shops are levelled the monsters in the world mostly aren't.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
After 107.2 hours I have beaten Enderal and seen all the endings. I played a single character, a stealth archer, on the highest difficulty.

It was a tremendous journey. I do not think it was the best game I ever played but it was very good and I recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs, especially those in the Gothic style of exploration and leveling.

When I started Enderal, I was depressed, about to be homeless (I had not paid my rent in 6 months and been jobless due to depression for 2 years.) There was no way I could afford Elden Ring, which I had few hopes about, but it seemed to be the only game I might like.
When I finished Enderal I had landed a well-paying developer position, had found a place to live, had begun a healthy habit of three daily walks and prayer and meditation and am still depressed. And I did not buy Elden Ring because I do not feel like playing another game for a good long time. This experience completed me for a while.

I recommend this game experience to anyone, but especially the depressed, the melancholy and the bitter. It is a good use of your time.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Starting playing this last week and it's pretty fun.
Usually I go for melee builds in this type of games, but I rolled a mage (Elementalism, Entropy, Heavy Armor) this time. Do you guys recommend going full Mana with level ups or should I increase HP from time to time as well?
I use Entropy mainly for summoning a tanky creature, not to summon weapons and melee myself - I use elementalism spells for dealing damage. Mana becomes an issue in some fights, but so does health. A couple hits and I'm down. Against Melee enemies backpedaling works, archers I can dodge. But mages or elementals are an obstacle that I fear in higher levels might fuck me if I misspend my level up points.

What's your experience with playing a mage? Go for Mana only, or go for Health too?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Health always helps, but you won't need it if you never get hit. This isn't Elden Ring.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Started playing this few days ago. I am immensely impressed, some 25 hours in. Reminds of Kingdom Come quite a bit, especially now when I added ENB that with few kilobytes of data makes it suddenly look nextgen. Absolutely love the exploration in this, the design is wonderfully handcrafted. Ark is impressive as hell. Frankly this is like Skyrim's New Vegas. Using its engine and assets, but better in every way.

Quite heavily modded graphically

Can you specify what mods you used exactly, which ENB, what was the process?

I used first three steps from this ENB:
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition/mods/26?tab=description

And while it looks amazing (screens below), what I noticed is that I have yet to see a blue sky - it is always white (so far) as if overcast, but not really. On your screens I can see some blue there. Can you advise?

Still, amazing:

976620_20220608024651hljrq.png

976620_20220608025344u6jro.png

976620_20220608025433uhkqn.png

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Started playing this few days ago. I am immensely impressed, some 25 hours in. Reminds of Kingdom Come quite a bit, especially now when I added ENB that with few kilobytes of data makes it suddenly look nextgen. Absolutely love the exploration in this, the design is wonderfully handcrafted. Ark is impressive as hell. Frankly this is like Skyrim's New Vegas. Using its engine and assets, but better in every way.

Quite heavily modded graphically

Can you specify what mods you used exactly, which ENB, what was the process?

I used first three steps from this ENB:
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition/mods/26?tab=description

And while it looks amazing (screens below), what I noticed is that I have yet to see a blue sky - it is always white (so far) as if overcast, but not really. On your screens I can see some blue there. Can you advise?

Still, amazing:

976620_20220608024651hljrq.png

976620_20220608025344u6jro.png

976620_20220608025433uhkqn.png
hey thanks for the question. I followed the same guide! and I followed it through to the end. but as far as your problem is concerned it's not necessary (I think) to install all of the mods. there's one enb setting that I changed in the enb Gui ingame that improved the visuals for me drastically. I either turned off/on UseOriginalPostProcessing or the one below UseOriginalObjectsProcessing. if I remember correctly that's the only setting from default that I changed. and hope it solves your issue.

Paul_cz

Arcane
hey thanks for the question. I followed the same guide! and I followed it through to the end. but as far as your problem is concerned it's not necessary (I think) to install all of the mods. there's one enb setting that I changed in the enb Gui ingame that improved the visuals for me drastically. I either turned off/on UseOriginalPostProcessing or the one below UseOriginalObjectsProcessing. if I remember correctly that's the only setting from default that I changed. and hope it solves your issue.

Thanks for info, I will try it. And holy shit, you did all 70 steps? Must have taken a while.

Btw this game is incredible to me. I expected it to be good but not this good.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere but I simply cannot deal with the skyrim combat anymore so I gave up playing it twice. The poster above was right. It's just too clunky after playing something like dark souls or bloodborne. Even kingdom come deliverance with its problems with level scaling making combat too easy midgame managed to have a more satisfying combat. it's a shame becuse a lot of the time you're just exploring outside and running into random encounters. Enderal does do many great things like having a believable capital city, quest designs, some introspective of religious matters. it would have benifited a lot having a better game engine.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So, I've read this entire thread and I am a bit baffled by people whining about 'unbearable Skyrim combat' and, the most shocking of all, trying to implement Dark Souls one into the game. Have people here actually played Dark Souls? I played DS1, DS2 and DS3 multiple times, and while I played those games due to combat, it's nothing that would make Skyrim play better. If anything every combat I've seen so far just makes the game looks clunkier and full of horrendous animations. Vanilla's combat isn't good, but it also isn't bad. Definitely the best in the entire TES series.

This reads like a thread full of Action Games lovers that try to make playing an RPG more palatable despite not being into them at all.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, I've read this entire thread and I am a bit baffled by people whining about 'unbearable Skyrim combat' and, the most shocking of all, trying to implement Dark Souls one into the game. Have people here actually played Dark Souls? I played DS1, DS2 and DS3 multiple times, and while I played those games due to combat, it's nothing that would make Skyrim play better. If anything every combat I've seen so far just makes the game looks clunkier and full of horrendous animations. Vanilla's combat isn't good, but it also isn't bad. Definitely the best in the entire TES series.

This reads like a thread full of Action Games lovers that try to make playing an RPG more palatable despite not being into them at all.

Yeah I've always felt that mods that try to make Skyrim's combat more difficult are missing the point. The best mods are the ones that make it more of what it is - just simple, fun action combat - while giving it just a bit more depth in terms of things like shield bashing, dodging, etc.

Things have been improved quite a lot by the developments in 3rd person view and animations over the past few years (full 360 degree motion - not the mod that came out years ago, but a more recent development - and better animation blending). Skyrim's 3rd person view used to be intolerable, but it's quite playable now with the more recent mods, almost like any other modern 3rd person game.

It's an analogous problem to the one re realism mods. The game invites realism modding, it's something one would love to see - and the realism mods work very well - but the problem is the world is too cramped to make realism gameplay meaningful. Similarly, the game isn't designed for complicated or difficult combat, it's designed for clearing out dungeons fairly quickly, hoovering up the loot and moving on to the next. It has a certain pace and momentum that too much difficulty spoils. It is what it is, as the saying goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom