Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Surviving the Aftermath - post-apocalyptic colony builder from Paradox

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So, the first Epic exclusive from Paradox.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...iving-franchise-with-surviving-the-aftermath/

The Early Access period for Surviving the Aftermath will last approximately one year, which will also be the period in which the game is exclusively distributed on the Epic Games store for PC. Paradox expects that Surviving the Aftermath will be among its top 10 games for revenue generated during the early access period, with the majority of that revenue now secured as a result of the arrangement with Epic Games.

In case you're wondering this is not the new PDS grand strategy that also will be revealed at PDXCON: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-to-pdxcon-2019.1182208/page-11#post-25877420

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Early Access period for Surviving the Aftermath will last approximately one year, which will also be the period in which the game is exclusively distributed on the Epic Games store for PC. Paradox expects that Surviving the Aftermath will be among its top 10 games for revenue generated during the early access period, with the majority of that revenue now secured as a result of the arrangement with Epic Games.

That's not "generating revenue". The revenue has already been made. Epic has paid it out. It's not being "generated" during Early Access. "Generating" implies that the money is the result of people buying the game, making new money flow to the devs. If the money has already been paid out no matter how many people buy the game because Epic guaranteed a set amount of sales, no revenue is being generated.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That's not "generating revenue". The revenue has already been made. Epic has paid it out. It's not being "generated" during Early Access. "Generating" implies that the money is the result of people buying the game, making new money flow to the devs. If the money has already been paid out no matter how many people buy the game because Epic guaranteed a set amount of sales, no revenue is being generated.

Developing games have really turned bizarre. What's the incentive now when they already got payed? Game will probably stay in early access forever, even after it officially leaves that status.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's by Paradox, so I expect a casual and incredibly boring experience. It being on Epic is but an omen further confirming it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Given how they treated Surviving Mars and lack of balancing and support regular PRX games have, I suppose it will be another cashgrab. Or deal with Epic will allow them to make Surviving Mars dev team busy and stop losing money.\Yet Surviving Mars were somewhat entertaining and I always cherishedany game about the Red Planet.

catfood

AGAIN
Introducing Surviving the Aftermath, the next Surviving game launching in late 2020 on Epic Games Store, Steam, Xbox One, and PlayStation® 4. Available soon in Early Access on the Epic Games Store and Xbox Game Preview.

:avatard:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Developing games have really turned bizarre. What's the incentive now when they already got payed? Game will probably stay in early access forever, even after it officially leaves that status.

It reminds me of when pro wrestling started doing guaranteed contracts. Wrestlers ended up sitting at home, sometimes for months at a time, not doing a damn thing and getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions). The NFL does this same thing with their free agency, ridiculous signing bonuses and huge downside agreements. At the end of the day, paying someone to choose the risk for themselves in productivity, well... to decide between being active and creating a product for money, or also receiving the same amount of money for doing nothing or very little, the choice is easy for most. Up front money gives a massive hit to incentivizing work.

I would actually be more concerned as a dev or publisher than as a consumer. They're being bank-rolled by foreign holding companies, with almost nothing but promises and hand shakes on the front end, and probably receivership and/or bankruptcy further down the road. They used to flip houses. Now they flip game studios. Seems nothing was learned from the EA studio grabs from a few years' back. Cheap money sounds great, but it usually comes with a bad hangover tomorrow morning. Considering Paradox is a Swedish company doing a dist. deal with a company owned by the Chinese raiders at Tencent, we might see some serious problems down the road between Chinese and EU corporate legal fights involving anything from worker rights to distribution contract battles.

Surviving the Aftermath could end up being an appropriate tag line if/when there's ever another video game industry crash. It's happened before, and with all these companies tied to a reckless and dangerous country like China, it could make the 80s crash look like a walk in the park.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also lol "Early Access". Its like Pdx is admitting that their games are pretty much paid betas on launch.
I bet it's literally for that reason. Imperator: Rome was such a shitshow that it hurt the brand and even pissed off some whales. So they'll go with "It's just early access, of course it's not finished yet" this time and get whiteknighted by retards online.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So far the game's clicking with me like a motherfucker. Feels like a mix of my favourite candies - Surviving Mars, Rimworld and Frostpunk. Also for a fresh EA title everything feels stable and polished. In a year or two this could be a big one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bit about the developer, a new-ish Finnish studio called Iceflake https://wccftech.com/surviving-the-...y-access-today-epic-games-store-and-xbox-one/

Surviving the Aftermath is being developed by Iceflake Studios, not the creators of Surviving Mars, Haemimont Games. This is because, according to Paradox, Iceflake was actually working on the game before Surviving Mars released, and the published thought it was best to get bring it under the same brand.

Nikhat Ali, Lead Producer on Surviving the Aftermath at Paradox Interactive, stated:

Throughout Surviving Mars’ development we learned the importance of listening to our community and their feedback helped elevate that game to new heights. With Surviving the Aftermath we want to get our players involved as early as possible so we can make sure we’re making the game they want to play. We have an ambitious content schedule ahead of us that includes monthly updates where we will incorporate feedback from our players and we’re confident the team at Iceflake is the right team for the job.​

Lasse Liljedahl, CEO and Lead Designer at Iceflake Studios, added:

Surviving the Aftermath is the game we’ve always wanted to make. When we pitched our plan to Paradox, they recognized our passion and commitment to making this game the best survival colony builder it can be. We’re beyond thrilled to finally share our dream project with the world and to have the support of one of the industry’s leading publishers.​

I read it as Snowflake at first but well, turns out CEO's previous company was actually called Snowflake Studios.

Ironmonk

Augur
They got me interest till I saw it's a Epic Exclusive...

I think we need a Epic Exclusive tag, so those that want to boycott or ignore anything related to Epic can have a easier life identifying it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I think we need a Epic Exclusive tag, so those that want to boycott or ignore anything related to Epic can have a easier life identifying it.
This is only Early Access, the full release gonna be on Steam.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

But we already have
piracy.png

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Banished - Indie success story. Dev team = 1.

Surviving the Aftermath - Giant AAA ripoff of Banished. Dev team = 37.

They should rename it to Surviving the Budget.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom