Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Swen Vincke on Kickstarter

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian's Swen Vincke penned another blog entry on kickstarter and the importance for developers to have an own online shop for their games. Snippet:

There are two big fears I have when it comes to Kickstarter. Given that they’re more or less obvious, I’m probably not the first to air them, but I’m writing them down here because I want to be able to refer to them in a later piece (this particular blog entry used to be a very long one, and I cut it up in several pieces)

The first is that there’s going to be a couple of high-profile failures leading to players potentially abandoning the idea of engaging in this type of very advanced pre-ordering of a game & its associated goodies

For instance, when I heard Wastelands 2 was only asking for 1MUS$ (900K+100K from the fpounder), my first reaction was that that was too low to make a RPG. I’m guessing they’d get something like 150 months of work out of that, perhaps 200, which is the equivalent of around 12 to 16 people for one year. Maybe they’d get a bit more if the team would be really cheap (which I doubt) and they’d get a lot of interns, but it’d still be a low number for a RPG.

My fear was that when it was going to come out, players were going to be disappointed. Or alternatively, I reasoned they’d need a second round of funding, and perhaps fail at that. But since they went way beyond that and got to the level of funding with which you can make a decent modern RPG, that risk is now lower, so they’ll only have themselves to blame if the game turns out bad.

Inevitably however, one of these very hyped Kickstarter games is going to be a flop, and I’m not sure what the reactions are going to be when that happens. Nor am I sure what the reactions are going to be when these projects run very late or go over budget.

We’ve often seen that the higher the hype is, the deeper the fall afterwards if the game doesn’t deliver (except for Diablo 3 I guess, man am I disappointed by that one).

My second fear is that the platform will become oversaturated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll say it again - everybody's worrying about what'll happen if a Kickstarter project fails, but they fail to take into account the effect of the projects that succeed! It only takes one success to prove that, yes, it is possible for Kickstarter to create great games.

So, will the failures overshadow the successes or vice versa?

Deleted member 7219

No problem of the platform becoming oversaturated - you can see how Kickstarter is dying down now. The main gaming websites just aren't interested it any more. They really got behind Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun to some degree, but they barely covered Tex Murphy and Dead State at all. Those games really didn't get much money at all. I hope he's wrong about flops being inevitable, but you have to wonder how Tex and Dead State can be made for so little money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No problem of the platform becoming oversaturated - you can see how Kickstarter is dying down now. The main gaming websites just aren't interested it any more. They really got behind Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun to some degree, but they barely covered Tex Murphy and Dead State at all. Those games really didn't get much money at all. I hope he's wrong about flops being inevitable, but you have to wonder how Tex and Dead State can be made for so little money.

Considering Dead State was being created for NO money up till now...

Dantus12

Educated
They only managed to create the : "I could get burned with it ." effect. It wasn't a good thing for those that don't have big names behind them , like Avellone , Fargo and others .

It's now a brand that just waits for the first sabotage act or simply "accidental" fail that will provoke people to think : "Indies, pfft the last time I supported them, - that didn't went well."

In a ideal case it would be far away from any "brand," with just a company or game name that receives the money and support.
----------------

almondblight

Arcane
"High-profile" failures is a meaningless statement. What does that? Games like Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2? The developer would lose some good will, but I don't see people blaming kickstarter anymore than they would blame pre-orders or alpha funding. There would probably be a certain number of people saying "I'm not going to kickstart something again" the way there are a number that said they wouldn't pre-order again after major disappointments, but that hardly constitutes a backlash.

What about games that never come out? Well, that really depends on the game then, no? I think if one of the big ones (Double Fine, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, etc.) never released anything that'd probably sour a lot of people, but I don't see that happening. If games like Hardcore Tactical Shooter or Republique don't release anything, well, that shouldn't be surprising. The kickstarter for both of those were a mess, and both said that they needed outside money to make a game.

One caveat being the awful game media. They hyped games like Republique and Hardcore Tactical Shooter, and if those games fail I'm sure they'd be quicker to blame kickstarter than taking responsibility. And lots of gamers read such sites (this is why we can't have good things), and might well jump on the meme wagon. That wouldn't stop kickstarter, though, it'd just push the games made through more toward the indie games asking for less cash - which would probably be a good thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They hyped games like ... Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Eh, not really. They were pretty skeptical about it actually. Notch ended up saving it, or so the story goes (it may have just been the inevitable last minute surge)

almondblight

Arcane
Well, I know RPS had three articles on it. Maybe not hyped, but certainly more than it deserves considering other games that don't get mentioned.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I'm sick of shitty video game projects flooding kickstarter because there used to be some interesting hard goods concepts on there but good luck finding them amidst the indie inclusion festival.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Hardcore Tactical Shooter had great timing, benefiting from getting onto KS just after Doublefine's success hit the news, thereby getting a lot of undeserved attention. They rushed in with a half-assed pitch, and as such they got in ahead of the wave of more serious projects who were actually making some effort to prepare for their kickstarter.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
What would happen if some big companies created their own ultimately promising kickstarters under a different name, just to have them fail and spread distrust among the pledgers? Would that be enough to kill the "new model" and have all the customers return to the "good old trustworthy" companies? Or does it go too deep, making it a risk for a huge PR fiasco?

/cospiracytheorist

Morkar Left

It's probably easier and more profitable for them to just use kickstarter...

Johannes

Arcane
What would happen if some big companies created their own ultimately promising kickstarters under a different name, just to have them fail and spread distrust among the pledgers? Would that be enough to kill the "new model" and have all the customers return to the "good old trustworthy" companies? Or does it go too deep, making it a risk for a huge PR fiasco?

/cospiracytheorist
Kickstarters don't really compete with AAA stuff yet for that kind of venture to be worth the risk at all.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

/cospiracytheorist

How about companies that already have the money to complete their game, ie their game is fully funded and will be completed, no matter what, and decide to get some free Kickstarter cash? It is free money, right?

/cospiracytheoristX2

Morkar Left

/cospiracytheorist

How about companies that already have the money to complete their game, ie their game is fully funded and will be completed, no matter what, and decide to get some free Kickstarter cash? It is free money, right?

/cospiracytheoristX2

No need for /cospiracytheorist

I think that's already happening in one way or another and the biggest weakness of kickstarter besides typical frauds.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Kickstarters don't really compete with AAA stuff yet for that kind of venture to be worth the risk at all.
Yes, this is what I believe too. But that "yet" is that gets me thinking.
It is more like some future idea where more people are starting to be fed-up with all the DRM and non-delivered promises and turn to kickstarter-like models. I'm not talking about destruction of AAA companies and some kind of real competition of course, but we could see some kind of sales decrease, something our corporate masters cannot accept. Another idea I had is that instead of risking through Kickstarter to undermine the "competition", they could use their online magazine slaves to illuminate the failures of the new model.
Anyway, I probably give it too much thought. :balance:

/cospiracytheoristX2
No need for /cospiracytheorist

I think that's already happening in one way or another and the biggest weakness of kickstarter besides typical frauds.

I don't see any real difference from typical pre-ordering, since the people giving the money, will also receive the product. They would earn that money even if they had their game made without kickstarter(aka pre-ordering in this case), through retail and online distribution. It is somewhat dishonest but in the end the customer receives the product. And this is what matters the most.

Morkar Left

That's true if you only back as much as you would be willing to pay for the normal product and receive the product for that money.

But it wouldn't be "somewhat dishonest", it would be a blatant lie because they have to say for what they need to raise the money. It's a bit hard if it's already completely funded. In the end it would come down to hold back keyfeatures/content like in day-1 dlcs aka lying to squeeze more cash. Maybe even implying "when you don't spend now in advance, the game will not be as good as it could be - and it's your own fault!".

I like the possibilities kickstarter provides. It's a fantastic tool. But it relies completely on trust.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
online magazine slaves to illuminate the failures of the new model.

And you think that's not happening in some way? I understand there are plenty of sites/magazines that have gone "WE WON"T WRITE ABOUT ANY KICKSTARTAR ANYMORE EVER". Now, why would they do that?

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
That's true if you only back as much as you would be willing to pay for the normal product and receive the product for that money.

But it wouldn't be "somewhat dishonest", it would be a blatant lie because they have to say for what they need to raise the money. It's a bit hard if it's already completely funded. In the end it would come down to hold back keyfeatures/content like in day-1 dlcs aka lying to squeeze more cash. Maybe even implying "when you don't spend now in advance, the game will not be as good as it could be - and it's your own fault!".

I like the possibilities kickstarter provides. It's a fantastic tool. But it relies completely on trust.
"Somewhat dishonest" I meant the blatant lie, still less dishonest than not receiving the product at all. :P
But lets not argue about semantics since I believe we agree on that part.
I do agree with you it is much different from pre-ordering as far as ethics go. But when I wrote about real differences, I meant from a financial viewpoint, the only thing that really matters to a corporation. And from a financial point of view, I don't believe there will be any real difference in profit.

You give your money and create the product(having no profits by now), then you cash through kickstarter VS You cash from kickstarter and you make the game

And you think that's not happening in some way? I understand there are plenty of sites/magazines that have gone "WE WON"T WRITE ABOUT ANY KICKSTARTAR ANYMORE EVER". Now, why would they do that?
I do. But I'm thinking of something more extreme like actively defaming Kickstarter by pointing out the failures a little more.

I hate this fucking profit-growth-based system. Day by day, more and more of the things we love lose their soul. :(

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
online magazine slaves to illuminate the failures of the new model.

A possibility other than collusion, they see Kickstarter as some kind of a hula hoop fad, that most people have already lost interest in.

Anyway from what I've read on an indie developer forum I used to frequent, they don't think getting mentions or reviews from online mags, is that helpful in getting sales for their games, so they rely almost exclusively on advertising. Now if the big game websites were turning down advertising money, that would be stronger evidence of collusion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom